OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:Agree with chrisbru. Four in hand looks much better with thicker ties.

Anybody here use the Pratt knot?


All about the Pratt, mostly because I don't know how to tie anything else in a way that looks acceptable.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:23 pm

i think pratt looks best

turbotong
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby turbotong » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Joseph A Bank:
Buy one Men's Warehouse, get one half off.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5716
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby BVest » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:14 am

There's been a great deal of debate ITT over the most appropriate interview shoe. I think we can all agree, however, that the two-tone driving moc (seen at fall OCI this week), complete with rubberized heel, is inappropriate, even (or especially) when worn with a nice charcoal suit.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:25 am

BVest wrote:There's been a great deal of debate ITT over the most appropriate interview shoe. I think we can all agree, however, that the two-tone driving moc (seen at fall OCI this week), complete with rubberized heel, is inappropriate, even (or especially) when worn with a nice charcoal suit.


Dear god, seriously?

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5716
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby BVest » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:01 pm

chrisbru wrote:
BVest wrote:There's been a great deal of debate ITT over the most appropriate interview shoe. I think we can all agree, however, that the two-tone driving moc (seen at fall OCI this week), complete with rubberized heel, is inappropriate, even (or especially) when worn with a nice charcoal suit.


Dear god, seriously?


Oh yes. Imagine these:
http://www.zappos.com/lumiani-internati ... ck-leather

But add in the cognac accents of these:
http://www.zappos.com/lumiani-internati ... ac-leather

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:00 pm

BVest wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
BVest wrote:There's been a great deal of debate ITT over the most appropriate interview shoe. I think we can all agree, however, that the two-tone driving moc (seen at fall OCI this week), complete with rubberized heel, is inappropriate, even (or especially) when worn with a nice charcoal suit.


Dear god, seriously?


Oh yes. Imagine these:
http://www.zappos.com/lumiani-internati ... ck-leather

But add in the cognac accents of these:
http://www.zappos.com/lumiani-internati ... ac-leather


Woof.

WinbyLazy
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby WinbyLazy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:Agree with chrisbru. Four in hand looks much better with thicker ties.

Anybody here use the Pratt knot?


Best knot IMO. Always gives consistent results and that perfect dimple. Nothing says, "I'm here to fuck shit up" like a tie with a perfect dimple.

guyplus
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby guyplus » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:17 pm

How often does the JAB 4 for 1 sale come around? Just got the email that it's happening tomorrow, and I'm thinking about stocking up for next summer. Will it come around again before then? Also, would it be a bad idea to stock up if given that i plan on losing 20 lbs?

dj_roomba
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:28 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby dj_roomba » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:44 pm

guyplus wrote:How often does the JAB 4 for 1 sale come around? Just got the email that it's happening tomorrow, and I'm thinking about stocking up for next summer. Will it come around again before then? Also, would it be a bad idea to stock up if given that i plan on losing 20 lbs?


They're having a 25% off sale right now. You can get one signature line suit for 245, or two for 450, which is essentially the 4 for one price.
That way you don't have to buy 4 at once.

It expires in a couple hours though...

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sprezz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:57 am

never make a purchase at JAB because you're afraid it won't be on sale later. (exception: shoe trees)

i would recommend waiting until you lose weight and revisiting then. there will be some deal, and even if it's not as good a sale the better fit OTR is worth the difference

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kaiser » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:14 pm

For those looking for that price middleground between Jos A Bank, and Brooks Brothers, check out Suitsupply. I just bought a new suit from there, cost about $500, and looks amazing. I would say it looks every bit as good, and is just as well made as the Brooks Brothers suit I own (the cuts are a bit more modern, whereas most Brooks Brothers cuts are a bit old fashioned and traditional). Just wanted to give SuitSupply a shout out on here, since it would be a great buy for many of you on here.

dj_roomba
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:28 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby dj_roomba » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:30 pm

kaiser wrote:For those looking for that price middleground between Jos A Bank, and Brooks Brothers, check out Suitsupply. I just bought a new suit from there, cost about $500, and looks amazing. I would say it looks every bit as good, and is just as well made as the Brooks Brothers suit I own (the cuts are a bit more modern, whereas most Brooks Brothers cuts are a bit old fashioned and traditional). Just wanted to give SuitSupply a shout out on here, since it would be a great buy for many of you on here.


+1

SS is a solid choice.
One of the best suits out there for $500
Also FYI they never go on sale.

guyplus
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:16 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby guyplus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:58 pm

sprezz wrote:never make a purchase at JAB because you're afraid it be on sale later. (exception: shoe trees)

i would recommend waiting until you lose weight and revisiting then. there will be some deal, and even if it's not as good a sale the better fit OTR is worth the difference


Thanks for the advice. I'll just wait it out.

WinbyLazy
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby WinbyLazy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:01 pm

Might be worth checking these guys out. Apparently, from what I know, nothing on their website is priced more than $40, except for the obviously pricey things. Their suites are $140 and look like decent, starter suits.

https://www.combatgent.com/suits

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11725
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:30 pm

Just FYI for people with a business casual firm, the Brooks Brothers 1818 Madison slacks are eleventy-billion times better than the JAB slacks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Have an emergency!

Need a suit for an interview thing Friday. I was getting a Made to Measure suit made (don't have my old one anymore for reasons that don't matter)
but the made to measure one will definitely NOT be ready Friday.

Advice on wtf to do to have a suit ready to go THIS Friday? (I'm in an east-cost city but not NYC)

Obviously no time to get it tailored, crappp, what is my best option? Slimmer cuts preferred but obviously not picky lol

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby hephaestus » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have an emergency!

Need a suit for an interview thing Friday. I was getting a Made to Measure suit made (don't have my old one anymore for reasons that don't matter)
but the made to measure one will definitely NOT be ready Friday.

Advice on wtf to do to have a suit ready to go THIS Friday? (I'm in an east-cost city but not NYC)

Obviously no time to get it tailored, crappp, what is my best option? Slimmer cuts preferred but obviously not picky lol

Since you don't want to spend much money, but still need to look good, I would look into a Joseph suit at Jos A Bank. They are much slimmer than the standard, really boxy cut and are $169 until tomorrow (one of their many always a sale promotions). Most stores will tailor next day for an additional price if you have a legit reason.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:20 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have an emergency!

Need a suit for an interview thing Friday. I was getting a Made to Measure suit made (don't have my old one anymore for reasons that don't matter)
but the made to measure one will definitely NOT be ready Friday.

Advice on wtf to do to have a suit ready to go THIS Friday? (I'm in an east-cost city but not NYC)

Obviously no time to get it tailored, crappp, what is my best option? Slimmer cuts preferred but obviously not picky lol

Since you don't want to spend much money, but still need to look good, I would look into a Joseph suit at Jos A Bank. They are much slimmer than the standard, really boxy cut and are $169 until tomorrow (one of their many always a sale promotions). Most stores will tailor next day for an additional price if you have a legit reason.


This is the best advice you can get. Next piece of advice: be more prepared. Every male over the age of 18 should have a suit that fits at least decently cleaned and ready to be worn on short notice.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have an emergency!

Need a suit for an interview thing Friday. I was getting a Made to Measure suit made (don't have my old one anymore for reasons that don't matter)
but the made to measure one will definitely NOT be ready Friday.

Advice on wtf to do to have a suit ready to go THIS Friday? (I'm in an east-cost city but not NYC)

Obviously no time to get it tailored, crappp, what is my best option? Slimmer cuts preferred but obviously not picky lol

Since you don't want to spend much money, but still need to look good, I would look into a Joseph suit at Jos A Bank. They are much slimmer than the standard, really boxy cut and are $169 until tomorrow (one of their many always a sale promotions). Most stores will tailor next day for an additional price if you have a legit reason.


are these a significantly better option than the RTW suits at Macy's or Nordstrom Rack or whatever?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Navy suit.

Is it ok to wear red or a green tie for CB. I'm getting sick of wearing my blue ties.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Navy suit.

Is it ok to wear red or a green tie for CB. I'm getting sick of wearing my blue ties.

It's fine. Go with a darker shade if you can.

aces
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby aces » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Red is definitely fine. Green depends on the shade, but most conservative green ties should be fine.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273519
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:19 pm

OP.


My red is not dark. It is kind of in-your-face red. And it is solid. However, I look patriotic as fuck w/ that red tie, white shirt and blue suit.



I'm probably just going to rock the blue tie again.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby hephaestus » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have an emergency!

Need a suit for an interview thing Friday. I was getting a Made to Measure suit made (don't have my old one anymore for reasons that don't matter)
but the made to measure one will definitely NOT be ready Friday.

Advice on wtf to do to have a suit ready to go THIS Friday? (I'm in an east-cost city but not NYC)

Obviously no time to get it tailored, crappp, what is my best option? Slimmer cuts preferred but obviously not picky lol

Since you don't want to spend much money, but still need to look good, I would look into a Joseph suit at Jos A Bank. They are much slimmer than the standard, really boxy cut and are $169 until tomorrow (one of their many always a sale promotions). Most stores will tailor next day for an additional price if you have a legit reason.


are these a significantly better option than the RTW suits at Macy's or Nordstrom Rack or whatever?

They are definitely better than RTW of most fashion brands like Calvin Klien or Kenneth Cole Reaction.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.