OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 2014 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:12 pm

You probably want a nice thick peacoat, if you search here or the OT thread there have been tons of recommendations.

If you want to be able to wear it over a suit you will need an overcoat which is a little bit longer. I would probably start with the peacoat though.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:29 am

I've got a coupon for one free suit from Mens Wearhouse because of some tux rental scheme they have. I get up to 500 dollars ( I think this excludes "Sales" so it's really a lot less than 500 since everything is on sale, and I'll to stay under 500 retail price). It doesn't include tailoring, so I'm getting it tailored elsewhere. Normally I wouldn't shop there, but fuck it, free is free right?

I already have a charcoal suit. So I'm thinking solid navy?

This maybe? http://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-suits ... 300H301H01

aces
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby aces » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:16 am

FYI, BB is now offering their two 1818 suits for $1400 deal through September 21st. Too late for OCI season, but perfect for new associates.

turbotong
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby turbotong » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 pm

For those who are interested, Business Insider has a good list of dressing tips and life tips. It's directed at finance majors, but close enough.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-d ... eet-2013-8
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-gsel ... man-2013-9

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wvu » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Don’t forget to get your housekeeper a decent shine kit for Christmas. And make sure she uses it.


:lol:

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:58 pm

turbotong wrote:For those who are interested, Business Insider has a good list of dressing tips and life tips. It's directed at finance majors, but close enough.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-d ... eet-2013-8
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-gsel ... man-2013-9

This is satire, right

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:09 am

Danger Zone wrote:
turbotong wrote:For those who are interested, Business Insider has a good list of dressing tips and life tips. It's directed at finance majors, but close enough.
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-d ... eet-2013-8
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-gsel ... man-2013-9

This is satire, right

What I learned in the shoe section:

1) No brogueing
2) Loafers with suits
3) Need to spend $700 on some SPS Prada shoes. $300 JUST AINT CUTTIN IT.
4) Buy my housekeeper (LOLOLOLOL) a shine kit

Then I'm told to basically wear a new pair of socks every day. LOL

Couldn't get past that. These are just awful.

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wvu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 am

When he said it was directed at finance majors I knew it was going to be terrible.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby hephaestus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:50 am

wvu wrote:
Don’t forget to get your housekeeper a decent shine kit for Christmas. And make sure she uses it.


:lol:

Yeah I have real trouble learning how to shine my own shoes. Better hire a housekeeper.

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wvu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:53 am

ImNoScar wrote:
wvu wrote:
Don’t forget to get your housekeeper a decent shine kit for Christmas. And make sure she uses it.


:lol:

Yeah I have real trouble learning how to shine my own shoes. Better hire a housekeeper.

I just liked the visual of giving your housekeeper a Christmas gift for the express purpose of telling them to get the fuck back to work shining your shoes

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:56 am

#1: There's nothing pretentious about keeping a tie journal. It keeps me on a solid 10-12 week rotation.

wat

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 654
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Mad Hatter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:00 am

You guys do know what GS_Elevator is, right?

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:01 am

guyz, its GSElevator

you know,

#1: Football season is the only time of year when unemployed people know when Monday is.


ETA: /scooped

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 am

Mad Hatter wrote:You guys do know what GS_Elevator is, right?

Just saw that. Didn't realize that dood did anything other than tweets.

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wvu » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 am

Mad Hatter wrote:You guys do know what GS_Elevator is, right?

Yes, which is why I'm betting those articles were meant as satire but am still amused that turbotong posted them as life lessons. Not that I'd be surprised if most finance people believe in every one of them

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:04 am

Okay, now I feel like I can laugh about it. Whew.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:07 pm

bk1 wrote:
Mad Hatter wrote:You guys do know what GS_Elevator is, right?

Just saw that. Didn't realize that dood did anything other than tweets.


Dood writes for totalfratmove.com too. So, yeah.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:16 pm

I am sure that this has been said before, but I just want to endorse TieBar.com good way to seriously step up your necktie game. Ties are super thick though, so none of the four-in-hand BS.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:08 pm

SemperLegal wrote:I am sure that this has been said before, but I just want to endorse TieBar.com good way to seriously step up your necktie game. Ties are super thick though, so none of the four-in-hand BS.


Four in hand looks fine and ties well with TieBar ties, stop it.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:I am sure that this has been said before, but I just want to endorse TieBar.com good way to seriously step up your necktie game. Ties are super thick though, so none of the four-in-hand BS.


Four in hand looks fine and ties well with TieBar ties, stop it.


Nothing says aesthetics and attention to detail like asymmetry.

Seriously though, its personal preference. However, it does warrant mentioning that TieBar ties are on the thicker side, so they are slightly harder (IMHO) than an average tie.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:53 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:I am sure that this has been said before, but I just want to endorse TieBar.com good way to seriously step up your necktie game. Ties are super thick though, so none of the four-in-hand BS.


Four in hand looks fine and ties well with TieBar ties, stop it.


Nothing says aesthetics and attention to detail like asymmetry.

Seriously though, its personal preference. However, it does warrant mentioning that TieBar ties are on the thicker side, so they are slightly harder (IMHO) than an average tie.


Except that a four-in-hand is an accepted knot. No one sane looks at a four-in-hand and says "nope, this person is sloppy, no hire."

Anything more than a half windsor with TieBar is absolutely ridiculous as well, due to the thickness. You're not an ESPN announcer.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:05 pm

chrisbru wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
SemperLegal wrote:I am sure that this has been said before, but I just want to endorse TieBar.com good way to seriously step up your necktie game. Ties are super thick though, so none of the four-in-hand BS.


Four in hand looks fine and ties well with TieBar ties, stop it.


Nothing says aesthetics and attention to detail like asymmetry.

Seriously though, its personal preference. However, it does warrant mentioning that TieBar ties are on the thicker side, so they are slightly harder (IMHO) than an average tie.


Except that a four-in-hand is an accepted knot. No one sane looks at a four-in-hand and says "nope, this person is sloppy, no hire."

Anything more than a half windsor with TieBar is absolutely ridiculous as well, due to the thickness. You're not an ESPN announcer.


Says you:

Signed,
Image

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Agree with chrisbru. Four in hand looks much better with thicker ties.

Anybody here use the Pratt knot?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I use then half Windsor. Fits my face and it's nice and symmetrical.

I need to buy a bunch of business casual stuff for work. Is Brooks Brothers still the credited choice? When is their next sale?

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wvu » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:Agree with chrisbru. Four in hand looks much better with thicker ties.

Anybody here use the Pratt knot?

Eldredge or bust, bro




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.