OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
buttes

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby buttes » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:14 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:I'm about to order AE Park Avenues from Amazon since they're on sale and I can get them shipped quickly enough in time to have them by OCI. Ordering them in 10.5, but they don't have D width (which is what I think I ordinarily wear), only E. Will that be close enough to work? Kinda in a tight spot with this.

I generally wear D as well, and picked up a pair in E. Seemed to fit fine (was significantly more comfortable than a ~.5 length difference with D width).

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:25 pm

if im bar lacing shoes, how close should the 2 sides be? meaning should it look like this where the 2 sides are nearly touching:

or should it be like this where the 2 sides are farther apart? Or does it not matter

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:30 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:if im bar lacing shoes, how close should the 2 sides be? meaning should it look like this where the 2 sides are nearly touching:

or should it be like this where the 2 sides are farther apart? Or does it not matter

Personally I believe its a matter of personal style and the style of the shoe. I feel like the two shoes you have shown present a pretty good rule of thumb. Notice how the pair with more intricate pair (top) are laced close together so as to not detract from the shoe while the basic toe capped shoes have a wider split to give it a bit more depth.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:47 pm

however,the nordstrom picture for the park aves (the shoes im wearing) shoes them very close together

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:58 pm

to anyone familiar with the sartorial art, do you know whether I can make a pant waist size slightly larger? A couple of months ago I bought a a suit OTR and I want to get it tailored soon. I was wondering if it actually is possible to get the waste size SLIGHTLY longer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to anyone familiar with the sartorial art, do you know whether I can make a pant waist size slightly larger? A couple of months ago I bought a a suit OTR and I want to get it tailored soon. I was wondering if it actually is possible to get the waste size SLIGHTLY longer?

most suits come with an inch or two extra in the pants waist that a tailor can let out so probably.

Nelson

Postby Nelson » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:to anyone familiar with the sartorial art, do you know whether I can make a pant waist size slightly larger? A couple of months ago I bought a a suit OTR and I want to get it tailored soon. I was wondering if it actually is possible to get the waste size SLIGHTLY longer?

It's easy, any decent tailor can do it.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 pm

BelugaWhale wrote:however,the nordstrom picture for the park aves (the shoes im wearing) shoes them very close together

True but I would never lace my PA like that for the reasons I mentioned before.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:48 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This is an embarrassing question that may have been mentioned but I don't feel like searching through this thread: Tie knots. I'm a big fan of the double windsor knot. Too pretentious for screeners/callbacks at NYC biglaw?

yes. Half windsor or four in hand, depending on preference. Full and double windsors are not appropriate for an interview.

Anonymous User wrote:Okay so what do I do for dress shirts? What are the rulez?

100% cotton is a must?
Solid white is a must? Or can I mix it up?
What sort of collar?
Any other good "rules?"

http://www.tmlewin.com/Fully-Fitted-Pla ... ted-Shirts

http://www.tmlewin.com/Fully-Fitted-Pla ... ted-Shirts

These are your best options. Many places sell similar shirts, as long as they follow the general guidelines in these links
(light blue/white,
100% cotton,
poplin weave,
semispread collar,
slim fit if you're a bit fuller bodied, extra slim/tailored/fully fitted if you are thin - very few people actually need regular fit shirts anymore)

Do you own some of this brand? How's the quality?

I will as of monday or tuesday. I'll report back

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:08 pm

iirc whether the lacing closes all the way deals with how well the shoe fits you. it's not a big deal, nobody is gonna notice, but if you were to get bespoke or MTM shoes, i think they fit fully closed on balmorals.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:29 am

Nickg415 wrote:
BelugaWhale wrote:however,the nordstrom picture for the park aves (the shoes im wearing) shoes them very close together

True but I would never lace my PA like that for the reasons I mentioned before.

Also because it would be way too tight on my foot.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 am

BelugaWhale wrote:if im bar lacing shoes, how close should the 2 sides be? meaning should it look like this where the 2 sides are nearly touching:

When you say "the 2 sides" are you talking about the eyelet tabs? Because that second one is gonna look a lot more like the first once its tied, yes? I guess I'm not really sure what you're asking. LRGhost is definitely right, it'll just depend on the fit of the shoe. Just tie it as tight as you are comfortable with and it'll look fine. No one will care.

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 am

So what's the TLS groupthink re: striped ties with solid suit/shirt?

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:03 pm

olive16 wrote:So what's the TLS groupthink re: striped ties with solid suit/shirt?

I think people hate on repp stripes a little too much. They're fairly normal, regular, and inoffensive. They may be objective better options but it's not like a repp tie is going to hurt you. Smaller stripes are probably bad.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:22 pm

olive16 wrote:So what's the TLS groupthink re: striped ties with solid suit/shirt?

Just depends on the tie IMO. Some look good, some don't. Some give off bad vibes, some don't. I wore a striped red, white and blue tie to OCI and own plenty.

guyplus

Postby guyplus » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:55 pm

So, I got my park aves in the mail and they are not comfortable at all. It feels like there is a ridge of cork running long ways down the middle of the shoe starting around where my arch ends. Is this a normal thing that will be fine after they break in? I really don't want to send them back because the Amazon deal is over and i don't think they'll exchange for the same price. But, if this is abnormal I don't want to try to break them in and get stuck with a lemon.

Advice please?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:15 pm

guyplus wrote:So, I got my park aves in the mail and they are not comfortable at all. It feels like there is a ridge of cork running long ways down the middle of the shoe starting around where my arch ends. Is this a normal thing that will be fine after they break in? I really don't want to send them back because the Amazon deal is over and i don't think they'll exchange for the same price. But, if this is abnormal I don't want to try to break them in and get stuck with a lemon.

Advice please?

Took me about a month to break in. Was painful all during interviews. Fits like a glove now.

Didn't have that particular issue though, but I think the leather will break in for ya.

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:42 pm

guyplus wrote:So, I got my park aves in the mail and they are not comfortable at all. It feels like there is a ridge of cork running long ways down the middle of the shoe starting around where my arch ends. Is this a normal thing that will be fine after they break in? I really don't want to send them back because the Amazon deal is over and i don't think they'll exchange for the same price. But, if this is abnormal I don't want to try to break them in and get stuck with a lemon.

Advice please?

same feeling right now, gonna wear it for a day and see how it goes

westinghouse60

Postby westinghouse60 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:59 pm

Can I get away with wearing a very light blue shirt for an interview? I've heard wear only white, but I only have 1 white shirt with a no button collar thats interview quality, and I'd prefer not to wear it 4 days in a row...

olive16

Postby olive16 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 pm

What is the cr shoe color for a navy suit? I've heard black is a definite no.

Also, what's cr for a dark charcoal?

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:55 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:Can I get away with wearing a very light blue shirt for an interview? I've heard wear only white, but I only have 1 white shirt with a no button collar thats interview quality, and I'd prefer not to wear it 4 days in a row...

Pretty sure light blue is the next best way to go

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:09 pm

olive16 wrote:What is the cr shoe color for a navy suit? I've heard black is a definite no.

ive heard black is a definite yes.

wvu

Postby wvu » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:10 am

olive16 wrote:What is the cr shoe color for a navy suit? I've heard black is a definite no.

For OCI, black for both.

AbLSAT

Postby AbLSAT » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:35 am

Park ave may be the ugliest shoe out there

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Park ave may be the ugliest shoe out there

out yourself

Return to “Legal Employment”