OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SFSpartan

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Thoughts on this suit? http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-gre ... refv1=Grey

I need to acquire a new charcoal suite at some point, and this seems appropriately conservative, especially for Suit Supply

wvu

Postby wvu » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:39 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Thoughts on this suit? http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-gre ... refv1=Grey

I need to acquire a new charcoal suite at some point, and this seems appropriately conservative, especially for Suit Supply

I'd personally get the Napoli dark grey, but that one looks fine as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:26 pm

I have purchased Bar III shirts before that I thought were excellent. So I figured I would check out their suits. I found this. What do people think of this as an OCI suit, assuming it fits/is tailored.

http://goo.gl/ixkXh9

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm looking for advice on suits for OCI. Here are my criteria:

*I want to spend as little as possible while still looking good (i.e. I don't care if it lasts more than a year).

*I want the suit to be charcoal or at the very least good looking with black shoes.

*I am tall, thin and have a thin chest. This is my main issue... everything I try on off the rack looks stupid because I'm too skinny. I'm concerned that pulling a suit in at the chest more than a tiny bit will not produce a great looking outfit...thoughts?

Thanks!

Are you trying on suits that have the bare minimum of clearance over your shoulders? In light of how much wider OTR shoulders tend to be compared to what would actually fit, for a lot of folks, the best way to fit a suit is to undercut your size enough to where you're bringing it to a tailor to have everything taken out a bit rather than taken in. It might add $40 to your tailoring bill, but I don't really understand the default position of going a bit too big as opposed to a bit too small (again, so long as the shoulders work).

For a cheapie suit (which will still be more than adequate for anything you'll encounter at law school), I usually recommend Lauren by Ralph Lauren (not Ralph by Ralph Lauren). It has nothing at all to do with Ralph Lauren, but they have reliably decent construction and fabric that's in line with that in a JAB Signature suit. Not a trim fit by any means, but the Lauren shoulders aren't anywhere near as obnoxious as JAB shoulders are. Traditionally, Sierra Trading Post would reliably have them for under $200, but not recently. Belk typically has them for around $220 shipped. For purposes of judging sizing, Lauren suits are typically available at any given Men's Wearhouse (at $500, so don't buy them there).

SFSpartan wrote:Thoughts on this suit? http://us.suitsupply.com/suits/suit-gre ... refv1=Grey

That's medium gray, not charcoal.

Anonymous User wrote:I have purchased Bar III shirts before that I thought were excellent. So I figured I would check out their suits. I found this. What do people think of this as an OCI suit, assuming it fits/is tailored.

http://goo.gl/ixkXh9

Although the pic on the link doesn't really show it, Bar III tends to be very style-forward (they're often noticeably short, but they may well have a more conservative line I've never seen). Probably not optimal for OCI. Otherwise, they're fine (generic store brand suit, just in a more-stylish cut; sorta' like the more stylish lines of Nordstrom Hugo Boss), so long as you're not paying more than $250 total.

-Pufer

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:01 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:07 pm

Jsa725 wrote:So I have a networking reception Thursday eventing at PLIP: business attire. Is it fine to wear my dark brown shoes with my navy suit to the event? I am wearing black cap-toe shoes for interviews.

Yeah of course

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:47 pm

Anyone know the fit for AE shoes? I don't own many dress shoes.

What should I order? 9.5 Nike running shoe. 8.5 Jordans. Would an 8 medium be good?

SportsFan

Postby SportsFan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the fit for AE shoes? I don't own many dress shoes.

What should I order? 9.5 Nike running shoe. 8.5 Jordans. Would an 8 medium be good?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/Al ... _guide.pdf

Print this out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 pm

Issue is I need to order online. We don't have those high end department stores, because you don't get the upscale types to work for $9/hour unless you're in a major metropolitan area with a recession. We're neither.

wvu

Postby wvu » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Issue is I need to order online. We don't have those high end department stores, because you don't get the upscale types to work for $9/hour unless you're in a major metropolitan area with a recession. We're neither.

Did you actually follow the link SportsFan posted or are you pontificating wildly?

Generally they run about a half size or size large.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know the fit for AE shoes? I don't own many dress shoes.

A 9 in Chucks are snug for me, a 10 is as big as I'd want them.

I wear a 10 in Park Aves and they're SLIGHTLY snug in the toe box but I imagine a 10.5 would be too big. Don't care to try to 10E since I got them cheap.

guyplus

Postby guyplus » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 pm

Here's what my final 3 options are:

$180 - Park Aves w/ Amazon Coupon
$100 - J&M Melton - http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-M ... phy+melton
$40 - J&M Corbett Cap Toes - http://www.amazon.com/Johnston-Murphy-M ... B0012H6VZI

The J&M Corbett's are $40 due to a GC to a one location shoe store. I know they're sort of ugly, but I'm oddly attracted to them. What's the best value choice of the three?

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:36 pm

value wise from what you've offered: pa > melton > whatever you have that isn't that corbett

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:25 am

sprezz wrote:value wise from what you've offered: pa > melton > whatever you have that isn't that corbett

Agreed

guyplus

Postby guyplus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:41 am

romothesavior wrote:
sprezz wrote:value wise from what you've offered: pa > melton > whatever you have that isn't that corbett

Agreed

That confirms what I thought. Quality dress shoes are just expensive. No way around it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:27 am

guyplus wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Agreed

That confirms what I thought. Quality dress shoes are just expensive. No way around it.

You would be fine with the Melton. $180 is just a good price for the AEs. The other ones... just no.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:28 am

romothesavior wrote:You would be fine with the Melton. $180 is just a good price for the AEs. The other ones... just no.

Nickg415

Postby Nickg415 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:47 pm

romothesavior wrote:
guyplus wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Agreed

You would be fine with the Melton. $180 is just a good price for the AEs. The other ones... just no.

If you fine with used AE just keep an eye out on Ebay. I've bought two pairs from Ebay that hadn't been broken yet and were in perfect condition. Pair of Park Ave. for 110. I'm not sure what the other pair was, another black toe capped shoe but it was only $30. Some people dont like used high end shoes because a huge part of their appeal is how they break into your foot but like I said you can find good pairs. Also AE has a program where they will basically rebuild the shoe for you.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Nickg415 wrote:Also AE has a program where they will basically rebuild the shoe for you.

for $150. and if they've molded to someone else's foot the recraft can't change that. above poster is right that there is value in used AE's but the recrafting program shouldn't be construed as an insurance policy for used AE's vs new ones

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Nickg415 wrote:
If you fine with used AE just keep an eye out on Ebay. I've bought two pairs from Ebay that hadn't been broken yet and were in perfect condition. Pair of Park Ave. for 110. I'm not sure what the other pair was, another black toe capped shoe but it was only $30. Some people dont like used high end shoes because a huge part of their appeal is how they break into your foot but like I said you can find good pairs. Also AE has a program where they will basically rebuild the shoe for you.

This sounds like a good argument for why to buy AE's new. You drop the money on them now, they break in perfectly for your foot, and then after however long you send them in to get recrafted.

I'm not sure how many times you can do this, but if it is essentially getting the shoe brand new, it decreases the cost "per pair" after time.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:33 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:

This sounds like a good argument for why to buy AE's new. You drop the money on them now, they break in perfectly for your foot, and then after however long you send them in to get recrafted.

I'm not sure how many times you can do this, but if it is essentially getting the shoe brand new, it decreases the cost "per pair" after time.

It's not really an argument for buying them new though, because used shoes from eBay can also be recrafted. Also, I think the argument is that people can find very lightly used shoes online, so the issue with breaking them in isn't too big of a deal. It's not like a shoe molds itself to someone else's foot overnight. I have multiple pairs of used shoes from eBay and all of them have worked out well.

I've never recrafted personally, but I've heard mixed review from the online community. Some people swear they look almost brand new.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:It's not really an argument for buying them new though, because used shoes from eBay can also be recrafted. Also, I think the argument is that people can find very lightly used shoes online, so the issue with breaking them in isn't too big of a deal. It's not like a shoe molds itself to someone else's foot overnight. I have multiple pairs of used shoes from eBay and all of them have worked out well.

I've never recrafted personally, but I've heard mixed review from the online community. Some people swear they look almost brand new.

I guess my point was a $150 recraft isn't a good enough deal to make $80 shoes that are beat to shit worth it. $150 or so for a very gently used pair is a different story for sure. I guess its all relative when it comes to used shoes.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:It's not really an argument for buying them new though, because used shoes from eBay can also be recrafted. Also, I think the argument is that people can find very lightly used shoes online, so the issue with breaking them in isn't too big of a deal. It's not like a shoe molds itself to someone else's foot overnight. I have multiple pairs of used shoes from eBay and all of them have worked out well.

Bought a pair of used AEs and they were slightly molded to a different foot, but after about a week of wear they felt just like the shoes I bought brand new.

JDflowergirl

Postby JDflowergirl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 pm

hi

I'm back again. I'm thinking of getting my bf shoes. I was wondering if anyone knew where i can find these shoes/shoes like this (#3 and #4) on this page (http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse ... -grown-man). Thanks! :D

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:45 pm

chrisbru wrote:

I guess my point was a $150 recraft isn't a good enough deal to make $80 shoes that are beat to shit worth it.

yes, this. the value on used AE's lies with the pairs that have the same amount of time left on their recraft clock as a brand new pair. if you can't accurately discern that the used pair you're considering is very lightly worn, do not buy thinking recrafting is your fallback (you might buy thinking "idgaf, these are gonna be beaters"--that's obviously fine, but again the recrafting program should be irrelevant for that type of purchase)

(eta i don't think anyone disagrees we're just talkin in circles as denizens of 190 page threads on interview clothes are wont to do)

Return to “Legal Employment”