OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
olive16

Bronze

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by olive16 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:00 am

I've heard not to wear a black suit, but how offensive is black with very subtle white pinstripes?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:02 am

wvuchip wrote:
Bronte wrote:It's good to do it regularly and to use a moisturizing cream. Shouldn't take long once you get it down. I also find that edge dressing helps a lot.
I got a Bespoke Post box a couple months ago that had a nice polishing brush, moisturizing cream, brown and black colored polish, wax, and a shammy. It's a pretty nice kit.
Nice. I went to this cobbler the other day, an Italian guy. I asked him to set me up with some good shoes care stuff. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked if I'd looked it up on the internet. I said yeah. He laughed at me and asked why my parents didn't teach me. He said all you need is an old undershirt and some moisturizing polish. So that's what I've been doing, although I'm skeptical of his internet skepticism.

Cicero76

Silver

Post by Cicero76 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 am

wvuchip wrote:
Bronte wrote:It's good to do it regularly and to use a moisturizing cream. Shouldn't take long once you get it down. I also find that edge dressing helps a lot.
I got a Bespoke Post box a couple months ago that had a nice polishing brush, moisturizing cream, brown and black colored polish, wax, and a shammy. It's a pretty nice kit.
Do you have a link to this?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 am

olive16 wrote:I've heard not to wear a black suit, but how offensive is black with very subtle white pinstripes?
If you already own it and can't afford a new suit, you'll be fine. Neither pinstripes nor black are ideal though.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:05 am

olive16 wrote:I've heard not to wear a black suit, but how offensive is black with very subtle white pinstripes?
Are you going to a NY Yankee's funeral?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:07 am

Bronte wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
Nice. I went to this cobbler the other day, an Italian guy. I asked him to set me up with some good shoes care stuff. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked if I'd looked it up on the internet. I said yeah. He laughed at me and asked why my parents didn't teach me. He said all you need is an old undershirt and some moisturizing polish. So that's what I've been doing, although I'm skeptical of his internet skepticism.
Nah, he's right - in boot camp and OCS, all we had was Kiwi polish, water and old t-shirts, and we could get a mirror shine that would honestly probably be "too much" for a business environment.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:09 am

Bronte wrote:
wvuchip wrote:
Maybe it's just the stuff I was using, but my shoes were kind of dull after applying the moisturizing cream. Only when I applied the wax and polished/brushed it out did they shine like you'd expect.

This is the box I got; not sure the process to go about getting it (if you can order it directly or what).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 am

I do it myself about half the time, but I really like getting a shine from a pro. It's a relaxing, old-timey experience and they do a lot better job me.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 am

romothesavior wrote:I do it myself about half the time, but I really like getting a shine from a pro. It's a relaxing, old-timey experience and they do a lot better job me.
Where would I even go for this? I really want that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:27 am

Danger Zone wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I do it myself about half the time, but I really like getting a shine from a pro. It's a relaxing, old-timey experience and they do a lot better job me.
Just get to the airport 30 minutes earlier than normal next time.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:51 am

Danger Zone wrote:
Pretty much any shoe repair shop will have a shine stand, and if you work/live in a business district, you'll probably have no trouble finding one. There's one in the lobby of the office building across the street from my office. Airports almost always have them scattered throughout the terminals as well. If you Google it you should be able to locate one near you, assuming you don't live in a small town.

It usually costs between $5-10 (usually less than $10) and lasts 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I'll sit and chat with the shine guy, other times I'll read the paper. And man, do those puppies shine like new when it's done. It's a good experience.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 am

romothesavior wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Pretty much any shoe repair shop will have a shine stand, and if you work/live in a business district, you'll probably have no trouble finding one. There's one in the lobby of the office building across the street from my office. Airports almost always have them scattered throughout the terminals as well. If you Google it you should be able to locate one near you, assuming you don't live in a small town.
Like a straight-razor shave from a barber, I think going to a shine stand is more about the experience than the results. It's enjoyable, but results-wise, it's like running your car through the automatic car wash; they'll come out better then they went in, but if you're picky or want the best results, you're better off doing it yourself or dropping them off at the cobbler's.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:57 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:00 am

romothesavior wrote:This thread is in legal employment because it is employment related, but there is virtually no reason to post anon ITT. Please see the giant orange box at the top of the page.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 am

BelugaWhale wrote:dont mean to still get on the shoe thing but whats the final verdict on bostonians for OCI? Ok?
Yes, they are OK.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:24 am

Nelson wrote:
SportsFan wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks the "YOU WON'T GET AN OFFER UNLESS YOU'RE WEARING PARK AVE'S!!!" attitude in this thread is a bit ridiculous... right? Hell, I went out and got a very nice BB suit just for OCI, but jeez you guys are a bit obsessed with the shoes.
Agreed. Conservative and black, but it seems silly to obsess over the cap toe brand thing.
Brand, yes. But black and captoe is TCR.

The whole point though is hey, if you're going to go spend money, this is the ideal thing to spend it on. No one is saying Park Aves or no offer.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:32 am

brotherdarkness wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Ask them to taper the legs. They'll know what to do.

Also, why anon?
1) I'm ashamed by my lack of knowledge of menswear

2) Some friends at school know my screenname and use my posts against me..even innocuous posts like asking tailoring info.
1) No-one is born knowing this stuff. No reason to be ashamed of it.

2) Your friends are assholes.
:D :D :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 am

Danger Zone wrote:
I'm with Romo on this one. I live in Des Moines, IA right now and there are two shoe shine stands within 5 minutes of my office. I'm sure you could find one. Just hit up Yelp.

Edit: Sorry for the triple post, whoops.

wvu

Gold

Post by wvu » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Every Nordstrom I've been in has one right beside the men's shoe section.

I think there's something cathartic about shining shoes, but I'm neurotic about cleaning anything.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm

My barber has a stand (and you can leave your shoes if he's not there, so bring an extra pair). Also older downtown hotels often do. I prefer stands just because I don't have to keep up with a box of shine, rags and brushes, and I don't have to worry about staining the rug or my clothes. If my soles or heels are in need of edge dressing for a particular appointment, I find that a Sharpie on my way out the door works wonders.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BFrankBYangC

New

Post by BFrankBYangC » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:32 pm

Can anyone recommend an affordable black belt? (Ideally available for purchase online).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm

Trafalgar, Cole Haan, AE. I'd check Zappos. Avoid buckles that are too squared off and chunky.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Thank you guys for all the tips and help. I just got 2 BB 1818 Fitzgeralds (1chrl/1nvy), and saved over $550 between the sale and credit card discount. :P

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:38 am

Going to the Nordstrom Rack to pick up an oci suit after work today.

This has probably been rehashed over and over but,

What brands and lines should I be looking out for?

Budget is 500-700 before tailoring.

Most important Do and donts?

brotherdarkness

Gold

Post by brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 am

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”