OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
brotherdarkness

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

wvu

Postby wvu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:When does Nordstrom's sale on AE park aves start? July 19?

yes, the nordy's anny sale begins 7/19.

Or now, if you have/sign up for a card.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:59 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:I've had these J&M shoes for a while now so they're broken in and comfortable (I keep them polished, though): http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?pid=69547

They are a dark burgundy and go well with my navy suit. Will these be good enough or do I need to get a pair of Park Ave's?

They're... acceptable. But I really would recommend a plain cap toe if you have the funds. The ones you have now are a bit loud for interviews.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:18 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:44 pm

I know they're not AE (actually I tried on AE's back when I bought these), but I've had these Cole Haans in both Black and Burgundy for years. The black for over a decade and the burgundy for almost that long (after I finally found black dress shoes that fit well I immediately bought the burgundy). They're due for a resoling now, but at this price I might just forego the broken-in uppers and buy a new pair.

The leather on the uppers is still smooth and they take a terrific shine which lasts a good while.

Caldwell Cap Toe Oxfords

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:51 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sprezz

Postby sprezz » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:57 pm

is the leather on those cole haans corrected grain? it almost has to be at that price (especially if that gloss isn't photoshopped on) yet the posting says full grain...

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:58 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
BVest wrote:I know they're not AE (actually I tried on AE's back when I bought these), but I've had these Cole Haans in both Black and Burgundy for years. The black for over a decade and the burgundy for almost that long (after I finally found black dress shoes that fit well I immediately bought the burgundy). They're due for a resoling now, but at this price I might just forego the broken-in uppers and buy a new pair.

The leather on the uppers is still smooth and they take a terrific shine which lasts a good while.

Caldwell Cap Toe Oxfords

Those aren't bad looking and the price is great. Is the burgundy a bit more of a matte color than the black (I'm not a fan of the military-esque shine)?

The burgundy is not as mirror-y as the black, but I think that's just the effect of the color. The texture is pretty much the same. I actually prefer that level of shine. I can get away with wearing them with a tux, but it's not the plastic patent-leather look.

The pictures on the site are kind of odd. The first one is a lot more matte than my pair and the latter two are two shiny. I'd say shined properly mine are between those, but leaning toward the shiny end.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:07 pm

sprezz wrote:is the leather on those cole haans corrected grain? it almost has to be at that price (especially if that gloss isn't photoshopped on) yet the posting says full grain...

Mine are definitely full. Again, I bought mine a while ago, so I can't swear they didn't change materials at some point.

BVest

Postby BVest » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Having talked about them and seeing it's a one-day sale, I went ahead and ordered a new pair of each in my old size and a half-size up. It's free shipping for orders over $99 and you can return to a brick and mortar Macy's for free.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
brotherdarkness wrote:I've had these J&M shoes for a while now so they're broken in and comfortable (I keep them polished, though): http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?pid=69547

They are a dark burgundy and go well with my navy suit. Will these be good enough or do I need to get a pair of Park Ave's?

They're... acceptable. But I really would recommend a plain cap toe if you have the funds. The ones you have now are a bit loud for interviews.

No way I'd wear those to an interview, though they are a good design (I own an almost identical pair of AEs).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:50 pm

BVest wrote:
sprezz wrote:is the leather on those cole haans corrected grain? it almost has to be at that price (especially if that gloss isn't photoshopped on) yet the posting says full grain...

Mine are definitely full. Again, I bought mine a while ago, so I can't swear they didn't change materials at some point.

The shine and the cost make me think its patent leather, but again, it doesn't say that. I'd be highly skeptical of a pair of $93 shoes from Macy's.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JRustle

Postby JRustle » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

No way I'd wear those to an interview, though they are a good design (I own an almost identical pair of AEs).

Wingtips are pretty standard fare with a suit... I'll go ahead and get a pair of boring cap toe shoes, but I'm somewhat surprised that wearing wingtips is seen as faux pas.

yeah not for interviews though. big difference.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Wingtips are awesome and I own multiple pairs. I'm wearing one to dinner tonight, actually. But they're not interview appropriate, especially for a conservative law firm. Leave the wingtips, the brogues, and the walnuts in the closet for OCI, despite how beautiful they are otherwise.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:26 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:Wingtips are pretty standard fare with a suit... I'll go ahead and get a pair of boring cap toe shoes, but I'm somewhat surprised that wearing wingtips is seen as faux pas.

No one is disagreeing. However, it is better to go hyper conservative for interviews, because you never know who is going to be an anti-wingtip person. The guidelines are simply there to position yourself as best as possible.

I doubt wingtips would be an automatic NO OFFER for the vast majority of people... But who wants to roll the dice ITE?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 pm

It may, however, create an adverse inference against your candidacy ab initio.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Thoughts on dress boots? Maybe this is a Texas thing but I have always been complimented on these when wearing a suit: --LinkRemoved--.

Reading through this thread though perhaps this is too flashy for OCI? I'm a median guy at UT so I'm trying to play up the "Houston/UT/oil flows through these veins" cards as strongly as possible.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm

hookem7 wrote:Thoughts on dress boots? Maybe this is a Texas thing but I have always been complimented on these when wearing a suit: --LinkRemoved--.

Reading through this thread though perhaps this is too flashy for OCI? I'm a median guy at UT so I'm trying to play up the "Houston/UT/oil flows through these veins" cards as strongly as possible.

Where I'm from this would be an emphatic hell no. Beyond all bounds of reason. I can't speak authoritatively to Texas, but my gut tells me this is unwise even there.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:21 pm

hookem7 wrote:Thoughts on dress boots? Maybe this is a Texas thing but I have always been complimented on these when wearing a suit: --LinkRemoved--.

Okay for work. Not for interview.

I wear my brown Luccheses and my black customs to work all the time, and I try to wear a pair when I try on suits.

chickenalfredo

Postby chickenalfredo » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 pm

brotherdarkness wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Wingtips are pretty standard fare with a suit... I'll go ahead and get a pair of boring cap toe shoes, but I'm somewhat surprised that wearing wingtips is seen as faux pas.

Yeah, seems to be a major over reaction to the wingtips. These are standard business shoes. Not too flashy at all. I would roll with them.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm

No, not for interviews.

brotherdarkness

Postby brotherdarkness » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:00 pm

Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Good man.

Return to “Legal Employment”