OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Tiago Splitter » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:50 pm

K so when I roll in to BB for the sale what am I looking for? Anything to avoid?

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm

chrisbru wrote:Brooks Brothers Summer Sale Image
TYFTPSA

vinnnyvincenzo

Bronze

Post by vinnnyvincenzo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Are BB dress shirts worth it or would it be better to just grab a bunch of CT shirts for like half the price?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:32 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:Are BB dress shirts worth it or would it be better to just grab a bunch of CT shirts for like half the price?
I always choose ct over bb because ct shirts are an overall better value. Even though bb shirts are better quality, ct shirts still look and feel nice and I feel I can replace them after a couple years without hesitation.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:45 pm

Lasers wrote:
vinnnyvincenzo wrote:Are BB dress shirts worth it or would it be better to just grab a bunch of CT shirts for like half the price?
I always choose ct over bb because ct shirts are an overall better value. Even though bb shirts are better quality, ct shirts still look and feel nice and I feel I can replace them after a couple years without hesitation.
Throughout the year, yes. But there are a few times a year when when you can get BB shirts for $40-50 a pop. They're like $50 each if you buy 4 of them now, and they will be even cheaper once clearance starts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:21 am

romothesavior wrote:
Lasers wrote:
Throughout the year, yes. But there are a few times a year when when you can get BB shirts for $40-50 a pop. They're like $50 each if you buy 4 of them now, and they will be even cheaper once clearance starts.
Agreed - I love my BB non-iron shirts. Anytime they are $40 or less, I pick them up.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:10 pm

So I hear BB shirts generally run pretty big--as in the slim fit are more like many other regular or standard fits. Does that sound right?

I normally wear a slim fit but having trimmed down a bit in law school most slim fits have a little extra room so I considering the extra slim fit BBs. First time I've ever thought about extra slim fit.

My question is: Do you think the extra slim fit BB shirts would fit someone who often has a bit of extra room in other (e.g. Nordstrom brand) slim fit dress shirts?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:22 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:So I hear BB shirts generally run pretty big--as in the slim fit are more like many other regular or standard fits. Does that sound right?

I normally wear a slim fit but having trimmed down a bit in law school most slim fits have a little extra room so I considering the extra slim fit BBs. First time I've ever thought about extra slim fit.

My question is: Do you think the extra slim fit BB shirts would fit someone who often has a bit of extra room in other (e.g. Nordstrom brand) slim fit dress shirts?
I would go into the store and try on the extra slim fit. I am lanky, and the slim fits are roomy on me, but the extra slims were are weird on me. I bought the slim fits and had them tailored. This, too, has its downsides. It adds $15-20 to the cost, for one. But also the tailor kinda screwed them up, so beware. It's hard for someone with our build to get a well-fitting shirt without going made to measure or bespoke. If you have time, you might look into that option, which can be had for as low as $80 a shirt.

P.S. I don't really grasp the distinction between made to measure and bespoke or know if it applies to shirts, so if someone would like to enlighten me, feel free.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 am

Bronte wrote:
oblig.lawl.ref wrote:So I hear BB shirts generally run pretty big--as in the slim fit are more like many other regular or standard fits. Does that sound right?

I would go into the store and try on the extra slim fit. I am lanky, and the slim fits are roomy on me, but the extra slims were are weird on me. I bought the slim fits and had them tailored. This, too, has its downsides. It adds $15-20 to the cost, for one. But also the tailor kinda screwed them up, so beware. It's hard for someone with our build to get a well-fitting shirt without going made to measure or bespoke. If you have time, you might look into that option, which can be had for as low as $80 a shirt.

P.S. I don't really grasp the distinction between made to measure and bespoke or know if it applies to shirts, so if someone would like to enlighten me, feel free.
Essentially, made to measure is a pre-made pattern with certain dimensions cut for your measurements. Bespoke, however, is a garment made from a pattern drawn up exactly for your body shape. Bespoke will fit better than M2M.

http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/200 ... asure.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks. That's about what I figured.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Bronte wrote: The blucher, moc-toe style is also not ideal but not a deal breaker in my mind.
so i'm just realizing how ignorant i really am, b/c i didn't even really realize that blucher was a significant thing and that it's apparently considered more casual.

Now while I know the park ave captoes are the gold standard here for interview atire, would a pair of captoe blucher's like these really draw attention in a negative way. http://www.barneys.com/on/demandware.st ... =500542937

Lol I now see the difference between them and the park avesbut it's seems so minor i can be forgiven this sartorial misstep right? Sigh my years of being a plebe are sure to haunt me. And before anyone asks, no i did not spend anywhere near 600 dollars on a pair of shoes.

eta: i'm realizing now how neurotic this is since in that post you said blucher isn't a dealbreaker. guess im just looking for more reassurance from anonymous internet folks.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 pm

No, a blucher like that Alden you cited is not going to be a problem.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:15 am

Re:BB... I am 6 ft 220, not a fatty but certainly far from slim. I wear Extra slim fit, which I find absurd given my dimensions, my large chest, and my quasi-beer belly. Slim fit is simply too big and poofy.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RodneyRuxin

Bronze

Post by RodneyRuxin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:30 am

romothesavior wrote:Re:BB... I am 6 ft 220, not a fatty but certainly far from slim. I wear Extra slim fit, which I find absurd given my dimensions, my large chest, and my quasi-beer belly. Slim fit is simply too big and poofy.

pics or it didn't happen

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Bronte wrote:

I'm very skinny, with broadish shoulders so I taper a lot down to my waist. Shirts are hell on earth to find. BB slim is like a tent, and extra slim is still too slim for me. I found that the Saks Fifth RED line (I went to Saks Off Fifth) fits pretty well, but the shirts are crazy thin. The best fitting shirts I've found so far are actually Express Fitted or Extra Slim Fit shirts. The sleeves are like 1/2" too short, but they fit me really well through my torso. If you're having the same problem as me - that slim fits are too baggy, give Express a try.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:32 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

I'm very skinny, with broadish shoulders so I taper a lot down to my waist. Shirts are hell on earth to find. BB slim is like a tent, and extra slim is still too slim for me. I found that the Saks Fifth RED line (I went to Saks Off Fifth) fits pretty well, but the shirts are crazy thin. The best fitting shirts I've found so far are actually Express Fitted or Extra Slim Fit shirts. The sleeves are like 1/2" too short, but they fit me really well through my torso. If you're having the same problem as me - that slim fits are too baggy, give Express a try.
Express shirts are made of such thin and shoddy material that you virtually have to dry clean to keep them from going to shit after two washes. If BB is weird on you guys I would give CT slim or extra slim a try. I'm pretty skinny and I find they fit better than the BB shirts and they're cheaper on sale.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking about giving CT a try next round.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Nelson wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Express shirts are made of such thin and shoddy material that you virtually have to dry clean to keep them from going to shit after two washes. If BB is weird on you guys I would give CT slim or extra slim a try. I'm pretty skinny and I find they fit better than the BB shirts and they're cheaper on sale.
I don't know what kind of express shirts you're buying, but those are my daily wears as well as some of my dress shirts and I've worn them ~20 times each now, and they hold up just fine.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:46 pm

Express is pure TTT.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote: I don't know what kind of express shirts you're buying, but those are my daily wears as well as some of my dress shirts and I've worn them ~20 times each now, and they hold up just fine.
You're definitely the anomaly. They really don't hold up well at all.

They make great shirts for going out, but I would never wear one to work. They don't look nice with dress pants, jackets, or ties.

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:57 pm

chrisbru wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote: I don't know what kind of express shirts you're buying, but those are my daily wears as well as some of my dress shirts and I've worn them ~20 times each now, and they hold up just fine.

They make great shirts for going out, but I would never wear one to work. They don't look nice with dress pants, jackets, or ties.
You don't think this line looks good with a jacket?

http://www.express.com/clothing/Men/1MX ... /cat270001

That's funny. About half of the guys on my floor wear the 1MX to work. To each his own, I guess.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:06 pm

the_phoenix612 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

That's funny. About half of the guys on my floor wear the 1MX to work. To each his own, I guess.
They look like shit and hold up like shit. As a former Express purchaser, trust me, there's much better out there.

Nelson

Gold

Post by Nelson » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:26 pm

PennBull wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

They look like shit and hold up like shit. As a former Express purchaser, trust me, there's much better out there.
+1. I thought shirt snobs were full of shit until I actually went and bought some nicer stuff.

the_phoenix612

Bronze

Post by the_phoenix612 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:41 pm

PennBull wrote:
the_phoenix612 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

What's this CT that everyone is talking about? I'm not familiar with the acronym.

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:44 pm

Charles Tyrwhitt

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”