OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 pm

justicefishy wrote:So, I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm wondering if before OCI I should run out to get more nice clothes. I recently got a suit from Indochino and it fits great and looks great (http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Es ... rcoal-Suit or so for reference) and already have another charcoal suit and a black suit with light white pinstripes (both off the rack with minor tailoring). I also recently got a pair of http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1 in dark brown and have an old beat up pair of Johnston and Murphy shoes (not very nice, I probably won't wear them again). I'm wondering if I need additional suits and shoes or if I'm just worrying for nothing? (I know I need belts and shirts, but that's less of an issue for now)

Thanks!


At a bare minimum, you're totally fine. Skip the black/pinstripe suit entirely. Don't worry about wearing the same suit every day--nobody is going to care about that. I'd personally worry about having a good backup suit if something happened to the charcoal suit, so I'd personally grab a navy suit.

Also, while the shoes you bought are a nice shoe, they aren't the best possible interview shoe. They'd also look a bit awkward with a charcoal suit (but not enitrely). So, I would absolutely get a pair of black captoe oxfords (Google the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue for an example).

But, at a bare minimum, if you were strapped for cash and wanted to spend more on some shirts, you could get away with it.

tl;dr: I'd buy a navy suit and some black oxford captoes.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:27 pm

justicefishy wrote:So, I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm wondering if before OCI I should run out to get more nice clothes. I recently got a suit from Indochino and it fits great and looks great (http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Es ... rcoal-Suit or so for reference) and already have another charcoal suit and a black suit with light white pinstripes (both off the rack with minor tailoring). I also recently got a pair of http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1 in dark brown and have an old beat up pair of Johnston and Murphy shoes (not very nice, I probably won't wear them again). I'm wondering if I need additional suits and shoes or if I'm just worrying for nothing? (I know I need belts and shirts, but that's less of an issue for now)

Thanks!


It sounds like you should be ok. I would stick to your two charcoal suits in lieu of the black pinstripe. Also, maybe send the second one in for tailoring if it doesn't fit well (hard to tell exactly from your post). As for the shoes, those are not absolutely ideal for OCI but they should be fine. In addition to brown being vaguely less conservative, it is also not ideal with charcoal. The blucher, moc-toe style is also not ideal but not a deal breaker in my mind.

If you do get another pair, maybe black AE Park Avenues at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. A black captoe is ideal. If you do get another suit, I would recommend a solid navy.

How are you for shirt, tie, and belt? Those are important too.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 pm

Bronte wrote:Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.

I know we joke about the "hivemind" or "circle-jerk" that TLS creates, but that was pretty ridiculous guys.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Bronte wrote:Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.


Image

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:33 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Bronte wrote:Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.

I know we joke about the "hivemind" or "circle-jerk" that TLS creates, but that was pretty ridiculous guys.


oh you're right we should just give bad advice to be different

if this was men's style or whatever it'd be different, but this is OCI we're talking about

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Bronte wrote:Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.

I know we joke about the "hivemind" or "circle-jerk" that TLS creates, but that was pretty ridiculous guys.


I wish comparing my bar exam practice essays to the model answers were a similar experience.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:37 pm

PennBull wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Bronte wrote:Well at least you're not getting contradictory advice, lol. Wow.

I know we joke about the "hivemind" or "circle-jerk" that TLS creates, but that was pretty ridiculous guys.


oh you're right we should just give bad advice to be different

if this was men's style or whatever it'd be different, but this is OCI we're talking about

Just crazy that you nailed the exact same points.

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby justicefishy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Bronte wrote:
justicefishy wrote:So, I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm wondering if before OCI I should run out to get more nice clothes. I recently got a suit from Indochino and it fits great and looks great (http://www.indochino.com/product/The-Es ... rcoal-Suit or so for reference) and already have another charcoal suit and a black suit with light white pinstripes (both off the rack with minor tailoring). I also recently got a pair of http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1 in dark brown and have an old beat up pair of Johnston and Murphy shoes (not very nice, I probably won't wear them again). I'm wondering if I need additional suits and shoes or if I'm just worrying for nothing? (I know I need belts and shirts, but that's less of an issue for now)

Thanks!


It sounds like you should be ok. I would stick to your two charcoal suits in lieu of the black pinstripe. Also, maybe send the second one in for tailoring if it doesn't fit well (hard to tell exactly from your post). As for the shoes, those are not absolutely ideal for OCI but they should be fine. In addition to brown being vaguely less conservative, it is also not ideal with charcoal. The blucher, moc-toe style is also not ideal but not a deal breaker in my mind.

If you do get another pair, maybe black AE Park Avenues at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. A black captoe is ideal. If you do get another suit, I would recommend a solid navy.

How are you for shirt, tie, and belt? Those are important too.


Thanks all of you! As for belts, ties, and shirts, I'm in different places. I need a new belt, at least two at a minimum. I'll settle on probably a black for new shoes and a brown to go with the ones I currently have. Ties I'm in better shape on, a dark brown tie, a black tie, violet with pink stripes (conservative enough actually, it's pretty muted), and a few strong red ties. Shirt wise I've got about 4 Brooks Brothers no irons (light blue, salmon, white with navy pinstripe, light blue square pattern on white) and a fitted shirt, again from Indochino, in light blue. That said, I might hit up the BB sale going on and see what I can get, for belts at the very least (though as a Suit Supply just opened up, I might go there).

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby RodneyRuxin » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:01 pm

Just picked up some Park Avenues (used, but good condition) on ebay for $100. I recommend keeping your eyes peeled if you're in need!

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:34 am

justicefishy wrote:Thanks all of you! As for belts, ties, and shirts, I'm in different places. I need a new belt, at least two at a minimum. I'll settle on probably a black for new shoes and a brown to go with the ones I currently have. Ties I'm in better shape on, a dark brown tie, a black tie, violet with pink stripes (conservative enough actually, it's pretty muted), and a few strong red ties. Shirt wise I've got about 4 Brooks Brothers no irons (light blue, salmon, white with navy pinstripe, light blue square pattern on white) and a fitted shirt, again from Indochino, in light blue. That said, I might hit up the BB sale going on and see what I can get, for belts at the very least (though as a Suit Supply just opened up, I might go there).


Not to be a dick, but don't wear any of these for OCI (except MAYBE the red ties).

Check out http://www.thetiebar.com for cheap ties. Get a dark blue pin dot and a yellow pindot IMO.

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... t%2Ey%3D14

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... rchType%3D

ETA: Also, plain white shirt is better, and you'll need them eventually anyway. I get the Stafford Fitted shirts from J.C. Penney when I need a cheap shirt (usually two for $35). They won't last forever, but they are a great under-the-suit shirt for the money IMO.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:49 am

chrisbru wrote:
justicefishy wrote:Thanks all of you! As for belts, ties, and shirts, I'm in different places. I need a new belt, at least two at a minimum. I'll settle on probably a black for new shoes and a brown to go with the ones I currently have. Ties I'm in better shape on, a dark brown tie, a black tie, violet with pink stripes (conservative enough actually, it's pretty muted), and a few strong red ties. Shirt wise I've got about 4 Brooks Brothers no irons (light blue, salmon, white with navy pinstripe, light blue square pattern on white) and a fitted shirt, again from Indochino, in light blue. That said, I might hit up the BB sale going on and see what I can get, for belts at the very least (though as a Suit Supply just opened up, I might go there).


Not to be a dick, but don't wear any of these for OCI (except MAYBE the red ties).

Check out http://www.thetiebar.com for cheap ties. Get a dark blue pin dot and a yellow pindot IMO.

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... t%2Ey%3D14

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... rchType%3D

ETA: Also, plain white shirt is better, and you'll need them eventually anyway. I get the Stafford Fitted shirts from J.C. Penney when I need a cheap shirt (usually two for $35). They won't last forever, but they are a great under-the-suit shirt for the money IMO.

Burgundy pindot is probs best for OCI.

/hivemind

vinnnyvincenzo
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:29 am

The only suit I have is a herringbone navy from BB (linked below). Is this acceptable or do I need to get a plain grey/navy one?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-S ... &cgid=0216

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7301
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 am

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:The only suit I have is a herringbone navy from BB (linked below). Is this acceptable or do I need to get a plain grey/navy one?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-S ... &cgid=0216

Solids are always better for interviews, but that pattern is subtle enough that it should be fine. If you have spare cash, pick up a solid charcoal suit and then you'll be set.

kryptix
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kryptix » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:11 am

Got a really nice suit from --LinkRemoved-- at very reasonable prices (around BB range) fully custom and it fits much better than anything I've gotten off the rack then retailored.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:42 am

Looking to get my law school shoes and figured might as well get some Park Aves now instead of later, but, and this is a super-prole question...

I don't know what size I am. My normal size is 11, but this D, C, E, and shit like that at the end of the size confuses me and I don't want to get something that doesn't fit well. Also, are the shoes normally sized normal, or are 11s kind of small or kind of big, etc.? Is getting them on ebay a smart move?

Basically, what can you tell me about getting these bad boys.

User avatar
wvu
Posts: 1565
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wvu » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:46 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Looking to get my law school shoes and figured might as well get some Park Aves now instead of later, but, and this is a super-prole question...

I don't know what size I am. My normal size is 11, but this D, C, E, and shit like that at the end of the size confuses me and I don't want to get something that doesn't fit well. Also, are the shoes normally sized normal, or are 11s kind of small or kind of big, etc.? Is getting them on ebay a smart move?

Basically, what can you tell me about getting these bad boys.

As far as length goes, AEs are around a full size bigger than normal, in my experience. I have 9s and could really probably do 8.5 and usually wear a 9.5-10. Letters are for width; D is the standard "medium" shoe width, and the shoe gets more narrow as you approach A and wider as you go deeper into the alphabet.

tl;dr go try them on somewhere

RodneyRuxin
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:50 am

NoodleyOne wrote:Looking to get my law school shoes and figured might as well get some Park Aves now instead of later, but, and this is a super-prole question...

I don't know what size I am. My normal size is 11, but this D, C, E, and shit like that at the end of the size confuses me and I don't want to get something that doesn't fit well. Also, are the shoes normally sized normal, or are 11s kind of small or kind of big, etc.? Is getting them on ebay a smart move?

Basically, what can you tell me about getting these bad boys.


I wear a half-size smaller than I normally do.

I'm a D, and I think that's "normal" so I can't comment for people with wide/narrow feet. You should definitely stop by nordstroms just to check your size before you buy if you plan to do it online. I'd recommend getting a pair from their semi-annual sale for OCI(~$210 in July), but when it comes to developing a rotation ebay is TCR (~$120) if you know what you're doing (look back in this thread for advice)

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby LRGhost » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Looking to get my law school shoes and figured might as well get some Park Aves now instead of later, but, and this is a super-prole question...

I don't know what size I am. My normal size is 11, but this D, C, E, and shit like that at the end of the size confuses me and I don't want to get something that doesn't fit well. Also, are the shoes normally sized normal, or are 11s kind of small or kind of big, etc.? Is getting them on ebay a smart move?

Basically, what can you tell me about getting these bad boys.


D is 'normal'. E is a bit wider. I wear a 9.5 in Chucks and a 10.5 in Park Aves fit me fine. Chucks tend to run small, Park Aves idk. I think on a Brannock I'm between a 10 and a 10.5

sprezz
Posts: 399
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sprezz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:25 pm

allen edmonds is tricky because there are several different lasts that throw the sizing off. the website will tell you which last each shoe is built around, so once you get one shoe that fits appropriately on that last [e.g. the park avenue is the 5 last] then as a general [not infallible] rule, other shoes on that same last will fit the same way. the exceptions are usually unlined or rough leather, so the general rule should be a good guide for dress shoes. but you definitely need to try the first one on and determine your size in each individual last. [fortunately, the 5 last has many of the classic looks, including the strand+mcallister. see here: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/ca ... ubcategory ]

the salesperson will probably tell you that a park avenue is supposed to feel tighter than the shoe you're used to because it's a balmoral. this is true, but doesn't change the fact that the shoe still needs to be comfortable. stand in them for a while and walk around on the carpet.

+1 on getting this done early. read up on shoe care, get the appropriate products, give them a little love before you wear them in the wild with ae's product or renovateur if you're feeling french and break them in on carpet. if the first time you wear these is in an interview, it's gonna feel weird. wahoowa

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:28 pm

wvuchip wrote:tl;dr go try them on somewhere

justicefishy
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby justicefishy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
justicefishy wrote:Thanks all of you! As for belts, ties, and shirts, I'm in different places. I need a new belt, at least two at a minimum. I'll settle on probably a black for new shoes and a brown to go with the ones I currently have. Ties I'm in better shape on, a dark brown tie, a black tie, violet with pink stripes (conservative enough actually, it's pretty muted), and a few strong red ties. Shirt wise I've got about 4 Brooks Brothers no irons (light blue, salmon, white with navy pinstripe, light blue square pattern on white) and a fitted shirt, again from Indochino, in light blue. That said, I might hit up the BB sale going on and see what I can get, for belts at the very least (though as a Suit Supply just opened up, I might go there).


Not to be a dick, but don't wear any of these for OCI (except MAYBE the red ties).

Check out http://www.thetiebar.com for cheap ties. Get a dark blue pin dot and a yellow pindot IMO.

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... t%2Ey%3D14

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... rchType%3D

ETA: Also, plain white shirt is better, and you'll need them eventually anyway. I get the Stafford Fitted shirts from J.C. Penney when I need a cheap shirt (usually two for $35). They won't last forever, but they are a great under-the-suit shirt for the money IMO.

Burgundy pindot is probs best for OCI.

/hivemind


Don't worry about the "dick" part, thanks for the advice everyone! I'm going to go out and get some new ties and the like before OCI begins.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:31 am

Brooks Brothers

Image

User avatar
Wonk
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Wonk » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:40 pm

Is it worth thinking about whether to get two J. Crew Ludlow suits vs. one BB 1818? With the J. Crew card discount, I think two Ludlows would be ~$1000.

Pennywise, pound foolish? Or is the J. Crew suit quality enough to make it worth it? Is there a better third option like ordering SuitSupply online?

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Wonk wrote:Is it worth thinking about whether to get two J. Crew Ludlow suits vs. one BB 1818? With the J. Crew card discount, I think two Ludlows would be ~$1000.

Pennywise, pound foolish? Or is the J. Crew suit quality enough to make it worth it? Is there a better third option like ordering SuitSupply online?


Ludlows are awesome, and I think reallllly close to BB in terms of quality. I'd get Ludlows personally.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.