OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Fri May 31, 2013 3:42 pm

PennBull wrote:The J.Crew Ludlow Suit is great quality for your price range, check them out.

That watch is most certainly not okay, but if you're trying to exude that you're a fan of the Angels, include them on your "interests/hobbies" section at the bottom of your (1-page) resume.


I assumed it was a joke, but I might have too much faith in people...

I got my Brooks Brothers made-to-measure suits for under $250 a piece. I went to one of their 326 (or whatever numbers it is) stores, waited until there was a good sale, and also opened a charge card for an extra 15% off.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby KingFish » Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 pm

PennBull wrote:The J.Crew Ludlow Suit is great quality for your price range, check them out.

That watch is most certainly not okay, but if you're trying to exude that you're a fan of the Angels, include them on your "interests/hobbies" section at the bottom of your (1-page) resume.

Thanks I'll check out Jcrew.

Bummer about the watch.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby KingFish » Fri May 31, 2013 3:51 pm

nevdash wrote:
KingFish wrote:Also, is this watch okay for interviewing and stuff?

Image

ABSOLUTELY. Though it would be better if it were a different logo.

I like that it says "Anaheim." There's something retro and hip about it, and I'm pretty hip.

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby KingFish » Fri May 31, 2013 4:01 pm

chrisbru wrote:
PennBull wrote:The J.Crew Ludlow Suit is great quality for your price range, check them out.

That watch is most certainly not okay, but if you're trying to exude that you're a fan of the Angels, include them on your "interests/hobbies" section at the bottom of your (1-page) resume.


I assumed it was a joke, but I might have too much faith in people...

I got my Brooks Brothers made-to-measure suits for under $250 a piece. I went to one of their 326 (or whatever numbers it is) stores, waited until there was a good sale, and also opened a charge card for an extra 15% off.

The watch was a joke.

Thanks for the info, I'm doing some googling now. There's so many BB lines it seems. Confusing.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15375
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Fri May 31, 2013 4:07 pm

I'd be careful with the 326/346 lines. They're not constructed all that well and they sell on the BB name alone, not the quality.

But then again, fit >> quality so if it fits you impeccably you're set for a little while.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby hephaestus » Fri May 31, 2013 4:09 pm

PennBull wrote:I'd be careful with the 326/346 lines. They're not constructed all that well and they sell on the BB name alone, not the quality.

But then again, fit >> quality so if it fits you impeccably you're set for a little while.

What is the lowest grade of BB suit you'd recommend? Also, does anyone know when the semi annual sale is in June?

User avatar
nevdash
Posts: 409
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby nevdash » Fri May 31, 2013 5:30 pm

KingFish wrote:I like that it says "Anaheim." There's something retro and hip about it, and I'm pretty hip.

I hear ya. But the CA logo is obviously the credited one in that respect. Or this one if you're married to the Anaheim part (I became an Angels fan in the early 90s, so I still think of them as the California Angels even though I'm from Anaheim):

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 31, 2013 6:12 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
PennBull wrote:I'd be careful with the 326/346 lines. They're not constructed all that well and they sell on the BB name alone, not the quality.

But then again, fit >> quality so if it fits you impeccably you're set for a little while.

What is the lowest grade of BB suit you'd recommend? Also, does anyone know when the semi annual sale is in June?


1818 line. Everything below is bunk.

jediknight2424
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:06 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby jediknight2424 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 pm

Any recommendations on where to buy cheap-but-good-quality dress shirts? I need to pick up 3 or 4 (I only have 2). I usually get the "modern-fit" shirts at express but I now realize that the sleeves are too long on me. I'm around 5'7 so I usually get shirts without the pockets b/c they end up taking up a quarter of my chest. A friend recommended banana republic. Thoughts? Or links to a good post/thread?

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby KingFish » Fri May 31, 2013 7:18 pm

I remember once upon a time seeing a thread here where the OP broke down the ins and outs of suits. Anybody know where that is? Or maybe it was just buried in this thread.

User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri May 31, 2013 7:38 pm

KingFish wrote:I remember once upon a time seeing a thread here where the OP broke down the ins and outs of suits. Anybody know where that is? Or maybe it was just buried in this thread.


Pufer's suit guide?

KingFish
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby KingFish » Fri May 31, 2013 7:47 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
KingFish wrote:I remember once upon a time seeing a thread here where the OP broke down the ins and outs of suits. Anybody know where that is? Or maybe it was just buried in this thread.


Pufer's suit guide?

Yeah that's it

After a forum search for pufer, here's what I found:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5#p5013085

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby beachbum » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:26 am

I'm looking to buy a few pairs of dress pants (for bizcas) in the near future, and I noticed that JAB is having a buy-1-get-2 sale. Good deal? Or should I be looking elsewhere for dress pants? I'm looking specifically at JAB's signature line.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7303
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:29 am

beachbum wrote:I'm looking to buy a few pairs of dress pants (for bizcas) in the near future, and I noticed that JAB is having a buy-1-get-2 sale. Good deal? Or should I be looking elsewhere for dress pants? I'm looking specifically at JAB's signature line.

Those things are baggy as fuark, so unless you're a fat ass, avoid.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:11 pm

KingFish wrote:I remember once upon a time seeing a thread here where the OP broke down the ins and outs of suits. Anybody know where that is? Or maybe it was just buried in this thread.


see page 6 of this thread...

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:22 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hdivschool
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby hdivschool » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Can anyone recommend a good tailor in DC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:20 pm

hdivschool wrote:Can anyone recommend a good tailor in DC?

Not DC but Bethesda which is 20 mins outside... Montgomery Custom Tailor in Montgomery Mall is legit...

User avatar
Blumpbeef
Posts: 3814
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Blumpbeef » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:40 pm

Jsa725 wrote:so i just read Pufer's Suit Guide and it is amazing... what are the top 5 best places to get a good suit at a reasonable price... is JAB or MW and getting it tailored TCR?


I wouldn't go for MW, and JAB only if it is really cheap.

Suit Supply, Nordstroms semi annual sale (coming up soon), Brooks Brothers half yearly sale (again, coming soon). They should all come in at the 400-650 range, with BB being at the upper end of that but offering free minor alterations, and both BB and Nordstroms offering a better return policy than SS.

User avatar
izy223
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby izy223 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:16 pm

for those in NY if your already in the 400-650 range you should check out mysuit custom suits. Tell them its an interview suit for law/banking (there pretty much the same) whether you want navy or charcoal and they will measure you and get you the perfect fitting suit. No need to spend 5- 600 on the BB name when your really just buying it for fit (ie not a fashion suit) for the same 5-600 you can get a perfect fitting interview suit and theres no need for alterations

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15375
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 pm

izy223 wrote:for those in NY if your already in the 400-650 range you should check out mysuit custom suits. Tell them its an interview suit for law/banking (there pretty much the same) whether you want navy or charcoal and they will measure you and get you the perfect fitting suit. No need to spend 5- 600 on the BB name when your really just buying it for fit (ie not a fashion suit) for the same 5-600 you can get a perfect fitting interview suit and theres no need for alterations


I walked by there today and was thinking about going in. What's the quality?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 pm

So I have a somewhat specific set of questions that I haven't been able to figure out through my own googling. Going anon because I think I've said what school I go to here and I'd be pretty easy to figure out with that.

I'm in a wheelchair and have been trying to figure out how that should affect the cut/lengths/etc. of my jackets and pants. For instance, if I'm always sitting, should I want my pants to fall as they would on somebody who is standing, one break over the shoe? Similar question about jackets while sitting but with the added bonus of using my upper body a lot to get around. Do you guys think that different vent types might help? I've got some pretty skinny legs, should I be looking for slim fit pants or is that something to do with tailoring? Should I never button my jacket?

I'm sure there are questions I don't know enough even to ask. If anything occurs to you all that might be helpful, I'd really appreciate it.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a somewhat specific set of questions that I haven't been able to figure out through my own googling. Going anon because I think I've said what school I go to here and I'd be pretty easy to figure out with that.

I'm in a wheelchair and have been trying to figure out how that should affect the cut/lengths/etc. of my jackets and pants. For instance, if I'm always sitting, should I want my pants to fall as they would on somebody who is standing, one break over the shoe? Similar question about jackets while sitting but with the added bonus of using my upper body a lot to get around. Do you guys think that different vent types might help? I've got some pretty skinny legs, should I be looking for slim fit pants or is that something to do with tailoring? Should I never button my jacket?

I'm sure there are questions I don't know enough even to ask. If anything occurs to you all that might be helpful, I'd really appreciate it.


I think you should tell the tailor you want a half break in the pants when sitting in the wheelchair, unless he advises otherwise. I'm a skinny guy too, and I go with suits that are slimmer cut (but not super slim cut). A good example is the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald line. Regarding the jacket, I would keep it unbuttoned. Shouldn't be a problem at all. Regarding venting, I think you should be fine with single or double vent.

I would find a good tailor. It's the business of good tailors to adapt clothing to people's unique needs.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:So I have a somewhat specific set of questions that I haven't been able to figure out through my own googling. Going anon because I think I've said what school I go to here and I'd be pretty easy to figure out with that.

I'm in a wheelchair and have been trying to figure out how that should affect the cut/lengths/etc. of my jackets and pants. For instance, if I'm always sitting, should I want my pants to fall as they would on somebody who is standing, one break over the shoe? Similar question about jackets while sitting but with the added bonus of using my upper body a lot to get around. Do you guys think that different vent types might help? I've got some pretty skinny legs, should I be looking for slim fit pants or is that something to do with tailoring? Should I never button my jacket?

I'm sure there are questions I don't know enough even to ask. If anything occurs to you all that might be helpful, I'd really appreciate it.


Differing a bit from Bronte, I might go with no break on the pants. With someone sitting, you generally expect his pants legs to ride up a few inches, showing off some sock. For example, even though Bush 41 only appears nowadays in a wheelchair, his pants appear to have all been tailored when he was standing up; thus, his colorful sock collection is now always on display. While I think it would be silly to tailor your pants so that they are perpetually ridden-up, going with even a half break might also look similarly out of place if someone was really paying attention to that. Thus, I think I might split the difference with my pants tailored with no break (at the top of the shoe, just covering the sock) when sitting. However, my suggestion would be to have your tailor pin up varying breaks and let you look at them in the mirror. Even if there is a rule on this someplace, nobody will know what it is (including the vast majority of tailors), so I don't think you can go wrong with just going with whatever you prefer.

I tend to think double-vented suits look better when someone is sitting than single-vented suits, double-vented is more comfortable while sitting in my opinion, and the back on the double-vented jacket will wrinkle less (even if you're never getting up for someone to see your back, the wrinkles are resulting from either the bunching or the stretching of the garment, so there's probably some level of longevity bonus with double vented for someone who is always sitting). Also, with a double-vented suit, it would be easier to move the side panels out of the way so you can access your pants pockets or if there's something you need to get to at your side.

I'd focus mostly on the jacket's fit rather than worrying too much about the pants because it probably won't be that big a deal to bring in and retaper the legs no matter what size jacket you end up with to accomodate your larger upper body. I'd also suggest trying a couple shorter jackets than your height might otherwise suggest. A lot of jacket length is based on not seeing the sides of one's shirt when one's arms are raised while standing, and making sure that the jacket bottom doesn't flare out at your hips while standing. Neither of those considerations would really apply in a wheelchair, and I could see less fabric bunched at your sides being a benefit both for comfort and for perhaps making the jacket look more fitted. There's typically enough sleeve length even in extra short jackets to accomodate a wide range of the most common arm lengths.

I agree with Bronte's suggestion of going unbuttoned.

-Pufer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:28 am

Thank you very much, Bronte and Pufer




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.