OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JamesDean1955

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 am

Lasers wrote:heads up: charles tyrwhitt shirts on sale now for $29.50 a pop for a lot of the shirts.

gonna grab a couple for summer.

Damn...that's a good deal...I wish I liked CT shirts. I tried some out and ended up returning them bc they just didn't have the same quality feel as BB (especially the BB luxury shirts, but even regular BB shirts).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri May 17, 2013 9:37 am

What's a good, cheap dress belt? Is there a thetiebar.com equivalent for belts? My black one is getting a little old and I'd like to replace it, but don't want to spend $50 on a belt.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 am

chrisbru wrote:What's a good, cheap dress belt? Is there a thetiebar.com equivalent for belts? My black one is getting a little old and I'd like to replace it, but don't want to spend $50 on a belt.

Macy's or sometimes TJMaxx you can get good stuff for about $20. I'd be interested to know if there's a more credited option, I need a few new ones too and don't feel like spending $80 a belt anymore considering I'll be on government loans for the next 10+ years.

Side question: has anyone gone to the BB store on Madison and done the laser fitting for MTM 1818 or Golden Fleece suits? I always buy OTR but I've always wondered if their MTM cost much more. If not, would pick some up at one on their semi annual shows (or trunk shows if I could find one).

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Fri May 17, 2013 12:49 pm

chrisbru wrote:What's a good, cheap dress belt? Is there a thetiebar.com equivalent for belts? My black one is getting a little old and I'd like to replace it, but don't want to spend $50 on a belt.

Got my last two at Nordstrom Rack. They usually have various designer brands for $20-25. Also, I've heard Target has a nice reversible belt online for $25 (I'd link, but I'm on my phone).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Went with this belt. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.beltoutlet.com/dorowstpadrb.html

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 pm

nevdash wrote:

Got my last two at Nordstrom Rack. They usually have various designer brands for $20-25. Also, I've heard Target has a nice reversible belt online for $25 (I'd link, but I'm on my phone).

+1. Nordstrom rack is great for accessories. Also, the recently started carrying BB shirts, and have them for a fairly reasonable price.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 17, 2013 4:58 pm

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Lasers wrote:heads up: charles tyrwhitt shirts on sale now for $29.50 a pop for a lot of the shirts.

gonna grab a couple for summer.

Damn...that's a good deal...I wish I liked CT shirts. I tried some out and ended up returning them bc they just didn't have the same quality feel as BB (especially the BB luxury shirts, but even regular BB shirts).

yeah, the quality isn't as good, but the value at that price is there. CT shirts are cheap enough that i won't feel like it was a waste.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 17, 2013 11:26 pm

So, I'm a 1L with a summer internship that's willing to pay me (no idea how that managed to happen) and a rather awesome internship coming up in the fall as well.

My one question is whether or not it's okay to wear argyle socks that match with my suits/dress shirts and be taken seriously when I end up working 40+ hours every week. I just got into a heated discussion with a parent of mine (I commute to save a lot on my cost of living) and was told that I wouldn't end up being taken seriously if I kept wearing them. While I'm fairly certain my parent is overreacting, is there a grain of truth in this?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I'm a 1L with a summer internship that's willing to pay me (no idea how that managed to happen) and a rather awesome internship coming up in the fall as well.

My one question is whether or not it's okay to wear argyle socks that match with my suits/dress shirts and be taken seriously when I end up working 40+ hours every week. I just got into a heated discussion with a parent of mine (I commute to save a lot on my cost of living) and was told that I wouldn't end up being taken seriously if I kept wearing them. While I'm fairly certain my parent is overreacting, is there a grain of truth in this?

As long as they match your suits, you'll be fine. I wouldn't wear like pink or red socks with a navy suit if you're at a biz formal firm, but navy argyle socks with a navy suit would be just fine.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat May 18, 2013 9:55 am

I rock a serious sock game. DGAF

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:04 am

PennBull wrote:I rock a serious sock game. DGAF

Respect. Everyone should be trying to emulate 41's.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/25/george-h-w-bush-has-the-best-socks/

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Sun May 19, 2013 2:17 pm

So I am an SA at a NY biglaw firm this summer, and I wanted to purchase a cotton or linen suit for use this (hot) summer. Is that acceptable work attire? I was looking at the Ludlow ones at J. Crew. Is a real summery color like khaki a no-go?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sun May 19, 2013 7:10 pm

purpletiger wrote:So I am an SA at a NY biglaw firm this summer, and I wanted to purchase a cotton or linen suit for use this (hot) summer. Is that acceptable work attire? I was looking at the Ludlow ones at J. Crew. Is a real summery color like khaki a no-go?

Double check your firm's work attire. Most SAs at NYC biglaw firms are business casual. A nice cotton or linen blazer would be a cool thing to wear to work. I have a thin wool navy blazer, a khaki cotton sportcoat, and a light gray with blue pinstripes linen blazer. Khaki is absolutely an acceptable color. If you had a navy and khaki and alternated it would be a pretty nice rotation.

But you probably don't need a full-on suit. Check your firm's attire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 pm

My firm's policy is business casual, but because the most I ever spent on clothing was for OCI, I actually own more formal wear than I do "business casual." As an SA, I don't really feel like spending a ton of money on J. Crew. Some people just do full-on formal and that seems fine/accepted, but I was wondering: is a suit without a tie a bad look? I know it's not strictly "business casual," but I find it functional because I'm more comfortable without a tie, and I can just add a tie if I need to be in a suit for whatever reason. Thoughts?

aces

Postby aces » Mon May 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My firm's policy is business casual, but because the most I ever spent on clothing was for OCI, I actually own more formal wear than I do "business casual." As an SA, I don't really feel like spending a ton of money on J. Crew. Some people just do full-on formal and that seems fine/accepted, but I was wondering: is a suit without a tie a bad look? I know it's not strictly "business casual," but I find it functional because I'm more comfortable without a tie, and I can just add a tie if I need to be in a suit for whatever reason. Thoughts?

Depending on the suit, suit without tie can be a great look. The right blazer/pant combination (ex: navy blazer with chinos) can look great without a tie.

Wearing a tie without a suit/blazer, though, is a pretty bad look and I don't recommend it. Makes you look like a waiter or an IT guy.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 21, 2013 6:21 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
PennBull wrote:I rock a serious sock game. DGAF

Respect. Everyone should be trying to emulate 41's.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/25/george-h-w-bush-has-the-best-socks/

Hah!

I love the shot of him with the cheerleaders.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 21, 2013 6:22 am

aces wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My firm's policy is business casual, but because the most I ever spent on clothing was for OCI, I actually own more formal wear than I do "business casual." As an SA, I don't really feel like spending a ton of money on J. Crew. Some people just do full-on formal and that seems fine/accepted, but I was wondering: is a suit without a tie a bad look? I know it's not strictly "business casual," but I find it functional because I'm more comfortable without a tie, and I can just add a tie if I need to be in a suit for whatever reason. Thoughts?

Depending on the suit, suit without tie can be a great look. The right blazer/pant combination (ex: navy blazer with chinos) can look great without a tie.

Wearing a tie without a suit/blazer, though, is a pretty bad look and I don't recommend it. Makes you look like a waiter or an IT guy.

Sometimes you have no option. My firm is business formal minus wearing a jacket in the office (although you have to come in in one).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 6:25 pm

I bought two suits before OCI last fall. Since then, I've gained 15 lbs and my pants still fit, but barely. My suit buttons barely close, so I usually just leave it open. I know tailors can usually shorten things and make them tighter by cutting out material, but can they expand it as well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I bought two suits before OCI last fall. Since then, I've gained 15 lbs and my pants still fit, but barely. My suit buttons barely close, so I usually just leave it open. I know tailors can usually shorten things and make them tighter by cutting out material, but can they expand it as well?

Pants, yes. Shirt, no.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I bought two suits before OCI last fall. Since then, I've gained 15 lbs and my pants still fit, but barely. My suit buttons barely close, so I usually just leave it open. I know tailors can usually shorten things and make them tighter by cutting out material, but can they expand it as well?

Pants, yes. Shirt, no.

These are both terrible uses of anon.

The jacket depends on how much extra material there is and if it was tailored before. You really won't know until you take it into a tailor and ask.

15 pounds isn't that much though, to be honest. You can drop it in like a month if you'd rather go that route.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Tue May 21, 2013 6:44 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Pants, yes. Shirt, no.

These are both terrible uses of anon.

The jacket depends on how much extra material there is and if it was tailored before. You really won't know until you take it into a tailor and ask.

15 pounds isn't that much though, to be honest. You can drop it in like a month if you'd rather go that route.

Didn't mean to post anon. I said 'Pants, yes. Shirt, no.' My bad.

kferden

Postby kferden » Tue May 21, 2013 6:46 pm

@Chrisbru, do you know of any tailor(s) in the Iowa City area that you would vouch for? It's hard to find a decent looking one by just skimming the ads.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Business casual for work just means shirt and tie, no jacket right

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue May 21, 2013 7:01 pm

kferden wrote:@Chrisbru, do you know of any tailor(s) in the Iowa City area that you would vouch for? It's hard to find a decent looking one by just skimming the ads.

I don't, sorry. I do all my stuff in DSM.

aces

Postby aces » Tue May 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Are brown suede oxfords appropriate for business casual? Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Mclean-Oxf ... B004H7IN1A

Return to “Legal Employment”