OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Blumpbeef

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Blumpbeef » Wed May 15, 2013 8:44 pm

aces wrote:So I am pretty terrible at ironing. I tried a few online videos and tutorials but between my crappy CVS iron and my lack of patience, most of my shirts have a few residual wrinkles (plus I tend to roll up my sleeves a lot). Is wearing a mildly wrinkled shirt a big deal? Should I start getting my dress shirts dry-cleaned? Invest in a vertical steamer? Are no-iron shirts worth it?

No-iron shirts are your friend. They are wearable without ironing and you can iron them to make them better if you need to.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed May 15, 2013 10:17 pm

Any thoughts on Black Lapel for custom suits?

I've had really, really good luck with Blank Label shirts so far (have four of them, ordered a fifth, and all of them have fit perfectly and held up well so far). Curious if anyone has tried Black Lapel, though, for both suits or shirts.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

Is there an app or something where I can catalogue my shirts, ties, suits, and shoes, and it can tell me the best combinations? If not, there should be.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

I've never owned a leather strap watch before and feel like buying one, so it may as well be legal interview compatible (that's a ways off for me, but I don't plan on buying something that will die anytime soon). Thoughts on this one:

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watche ... oduct.html

And this one:

http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watche ... oduct.html

If there are better ones I should be looking at around the $100 price range I'd be interested to know. Thanks!

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 am

Skagen's okay. Their watches are really thin though. I ended up returning mine and buying this one instead. Obviously with that price range, you aren't going to have a quality watch. But this has lasted a couple of years now, and I think it looks like it's worth more than it actually cost. The band is shitty though, so if you can, go out and buy a real leather band to put on it.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Thu May 16, 2013 10:49 am

Blumpbeef wrote:
aces wrote:So I am pretty terrible at ironing. I tried a few online videos and tutorials but between my crappy CVS iron and my lack of patience, most of my shirts have a few residual wrinkles (plus I tend to roll up my sleeves a lot). Is wearing a mildly wrinkled shirt a big deal? Should I start getting my dress shirts dry-cleaned? Invest in a vertical steamer? Are no-iron shirts worth it?

No-iron shirts are your friend. They are wearable without ironing and you can iron them to make them better if you need to.

This type of shirts also have resins and formaldehyde that have been proven to cause CANCER. Some people suggest washing them a couple of time before wearing them. Supposedly, it minimizes the risk.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu May 16, 2013 10:54 am

qwertyboard wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

This type of shirts also have resins and formaldehyde that have been proven to cause CANCER. Some people suggest washing them a couple of time before wearing them. Supposedly, it minimizes the risk.

They have not been proven to cause cancer, tard-o. Some shirts do exceed the most stringent of formaldehyde regulatory standards, though. Just do don't buy from China or Indonesia, brothers.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 am

I have this for a decent but cheap automatic:
http://www.amazon.com/Bulova-96A125-Ape ... +automatic

I would spent a little more though and get an Orient. I love mine and they are very affordable.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 am

TTRansfer wrote:Any thoughts on Black Lapel for custom suits?

I've had really, really good luck with Blank Label shirts so far (have four of them, ordered a fifth, and all of them have fit perfectly and held up well so far). Curious if anyone has tried Black Lapel, though, for both suits or shirts.

I order from them 2 suits. I did a lot of research and they turned out to be the best alternative for the money (over indochino and less expensive than alton lane and other mtm co. and about the same quality).

You can get a 10% discount if you donate your old suits. I think you can buy a quality dress shirt for less than the $100 they charge.

I'm trying to find a good place where I can buy 2-3 nice thick broadcloth or pinpoint cotton dress shirts for around $60-70 each. If anyone here knows a site, let me know please.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:00 am

Danger Zone wrote:Skagen's okay. Their watches are really thin though. I ended up returning mine and buying this one instead. Obviously with that price range, you aren't going to have a quality watch. But this has lasted a couple of years now, and I think it looks like it's worth more than it actually cost. The band is shitty though, so if you can, go out and buy a real leather band to put on it.

I wear BB extra slim shirts, and with the cuffs on these shirts I find I actually need a pretty thin watch as there isn't much room. The slim fit are fine with bigger watches, but I can't deal with the extra bagginess.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Thu May 16, 2013 11:11 am

Danger Zone wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:
Blumpbeef wrote:

They have not been proven to cause cancer, tard-o. Some shirts do exceed the most stringent of formaldehyde regulatory standards, though. Just do don't buy from China or Indonesia, brothers.

"Tard-o"? completely unnecessary.

A substantial amount of shirts we buy in the US come from China and Indonesia. The Gov doesn't really regulate the industry like they should.

And you're right it has not been "proven", but has been listed as carcinogenic by several agencies.

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercaus ... rmaldehyde

Also, its risky to live your life believing you're safe because it's under the limit established by some agency. Limits also exists for lead, mercury in our food, VOCs in products, etc but the limited quantity doesn't make it safe. It makes it less hazardous. There is no such thing as a safe doze of lead or mercury. Same thing goes for formaldehyde.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 am

qwertyboard wrote:"Tard-o"? completely unnecessary.

A substantial amount of shirts we buy in the US come from China and Indonesia. The Gov doesn't really regulate the industry like they should.

And you're right it has not been "proven", but has been listed as carcinogenic by several agencies.

Also, its risky to live your life believing you're safe because it's under the limit established by some agency. Limits also exists for lead, mercury in our food, VOCs in products, etc but the limit quantity doesn't make it safe. It makes it less hazardous. There is no such thing as a safe doze of lead or mercury. Same thing goes for formaldehyde.

--ImageRemoved--

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Thu May 16, 2013 11:17 am

JamesDean1955 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Skagen's okay. Their watches are really thin though. I ended up returning mine and buying this one instead. Obviously with that price range, you aren't going to have a quality watch. But this has lasted a couple of years now, and I think it looks like it's worth more than it actually cost. The band is shitty though, so if you can, go out and buy a real leather band to put on it.

I wear BB extra slim shirts, and with the cuffs on these shirts I find I actually need a pretty thin watch as there isn't much room. The slim fit are fine with bigger watches, but I can't deal with the extra bagginess.

The cuff on the dress shirts is suppose to be fitted so that you can't take out your shirt without loosing the buttons on the cuffs. So, you're fine if you need a slim watch and IMO they look very elegant.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu May 16, 2013 11:25 am

The one I posted is quite slim as well. I just meant the Skagen watch felt flimsy.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Thu May 16, 2013 11:26 am

Danger Zone wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:"Tard-o"? completely unnecessary.

Also, its risky to live your life believing you're safe because it's under the limit established by some agency. Limits also exists for lead, mercury in our food, VOCs in products, etc but the limit quantity doesn't make it safe. It makes it less hazardous. There is no such thing as a safe doze of lead or mercury. Same thing goes for formaldehyde.

--ImageRemoved--

Oh the textbook example of someone who has run out of arguments. I bet you were the type of kid that slammed the PS1 against the floor after losing a game.

I don't understand why on earth would you have no problem wearing something that has been strongly linked to cancer and has been listed as a carcinogenic by several agencies. Why? Do you think you're a special snowflake and it won't happen to you?

Do you know how people noticed that formaldehyde might be linked to cancer? People in factories started developed throat and neck cancer. Cotton is suppose to wrinkle, that's the beauty of the fiber. Don't be cheap and have someone iron the shirts for you.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 16, 2013 11:29 am

qwertyboard wrote:Oh the textbook example of someone who has run out of arguments. I bet you were the type of kid that slammed the PS1 against the floor after losing a game.

I don't understand why on earth would you have no problem wearing something that has been strongly linked to cancer and has been listed as a carcinogenic by several agencies. Why? Do you think you're a special snowflake and it won't happen to you?

Do you know how people noticed that formaldehyde might be linked to cancer? People in factories started developed throat and neck cancer. Cotton is suppose to wrinkle, that's the beauty of the fiber. Don't be cheap and have someone iron the shirts for you.

Can we just end this please? I'm not putting fault on either of you (I mean, I am, but I'm not going to tell you about it.) Just STFU and lets get back to the discussion. If you want to talk about this, start a thread or post in some health thread.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu May 16, 2013 12:39 pm

I put up that picture for the same reason I'm not going to reply substantively in this post: because your argument is ridiculous.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Last edited by JamesDean1955 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:12 pm

Danger Zone wrote: I ended up returning mine and buying this one instead.

Ended up deciding on that one too after an hour of research (slow day at the office).

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Thu May 16, 2013 2:35 pm

can we chill out on the militant-liberalism crap? what are we, 0L's? start a blog and PETA out to your heart's content or something.

ain't nobody got time for that...

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu May 16, 2013 2:56 pm

Graduating 3L and thinking of getting a briefcase for work next year. Thoughts on whether briefcases are even used anymore? (I didn't pay attention this past summer to see if associates used one, though I had a cheap one I used to occasionally.)

I was thinking something like this (in medium and black or dark brown): http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classi ... ory=301406

Thoughts? Suggestions?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 16, 2013 3:10 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Graduating 3L and thinking of getting a briefcase for work next year. Thoughts on whether briefcases are even used anymore? (I didn't pay attention this past summer to see if associates used one, though I had a cheap one I used to occasionally.)

I was thinking something like this (in medium and black or dark brown): http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classi ... ory=301406

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you need a bag, this is a good one IMO. Has a strap for when you need to sling it over your shoulder, but also handles so you can carry it without the strap to keep your suit from wrinkling.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Graduating 3L and thinking of getting a briefcase for work next year. Thoughts on whether briefcases are even used anymore? (I didn't pay attention this past summer to see if associates used one, though I had a cheap one I used to occasionally.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have the regular Saddleback Leather briefcase in black and I love it. It's pricey, doe, and may be a little casual in some legal markets.

Since I'm clerking in a few months, I opted to pick up a more conservative, used, Hartmann attache from eBay. $140, shipping included. Substantially similar to this, but in better condition. Loving it so far.

lolwat

Postby lolwat » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I don't know about whether they're used or necessary (all the attorneys I see in courtrooms have such huge amounts of documents that wouldn't fit in this anyway) but I have one of these exact ones you're looking at (in black) as a graduation present and it's pretty nice. I've taken some work home in it, but could've taken the work home without it too. I also drive everywhere here though.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 am

heads up: charles tyrwhitt shirts on sale now for $29.50 a pop for a lot of the shirts.

gonna grab a couple for summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”