OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennBull

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 am

Jsa725 wrote:What a credited interview shoe? I currently have this one: Santoni Buckle Slip-On ... Do I need a black shoe or one w/o a buckle or is this credited?

You need a basic black, cap-toe laceup. It is by far the cleanest, most appropriate shoe.

The Allen Edmonds Park Avenue, pictured below, is the gold standard for interviewees on a bit of a budget. Not only do they look incredible, but are made by a top company and will last you for several years if taken care of.

You can often find them for ~200 on ebay brand new. Nordstrom will also be having a sale in early August where you can buy them for about ~240.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:52 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

Jsa725 wrote:What a credited interview shoe? I currently have this one: Santoni Buckle Slip-On ... Do I need a black shoe or one w/o a buckle or is this credited?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:59 am

Jsa725 wrote:Yeah, I was thinking I needed a basic black shoe. The AE is NOICE... is the mens 1/2 yearly in august? or is that the anniversary sale?

Anniversary.

But set up an ebay filter for allen edmonds (don't put the model name or color) in your size, and just check it every morning by "newly listed." Black Park Aves show up at least once a week. Some in bad condition, most new, some slightly used.

If you get in a huge bind and can't find one for a decent price, then get the similar style from a shittier brand, but the main advantage about AE quality (and similar quality) is that they'll last you for years. That's why we recommend them so much here.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

Everyone else is spot on, these won't work. I'll add that while these look like some solid bit loafers, they really are too casual to wear with a suit and tie, even outside of the interview arena. I will echo what everyone else has recommended: the AE Park Avenues are the gold standard for interview shoes. Fifth Avenues would also be alright, they have a tiny amount bit more detail but are still a good interview shoe. Last year I alternated between my Black PAs and my oxblood 5thA's.

Ebay is a great place to look for shoes. I generally aim for lightly used. You can definitely get something like this for $150 or less, or wait for Nordstrom's sale for a brand new pair.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:26 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:17 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Everyone else is spot on, these won't work. I'll add that while these look like some solid bit loafers, they really are too casual to wear with a suit and tie, even outside of the interview arena. I will echo what everyone else has recommended: the AE Park Avenues are the gold standard for interview shoes. Fifth Avenues would also be alright, they have a tiny amount bit more detail but are still a good interview shoe. Last year I alternated between my Black PAs and my oxblood 5thA's.

Ebay is a great place to look for shoes. I generally aim for lightly used. You can definitely get something like this for $150 or less, or wait for Nordstrom's sale for a brand new pair.

I kinda figured they were not "interview shoes" but want to make sure before i drop coin. will most likely go w/ the AE Park Avenues (or 5th Aves) :mrgreen:

You don't have to drop the money if you can't afford it. I picked up a pair of gently used Cole Haan's for $40 earlier this year. Sure, they won't last me 3 years, but they'll do for interview season and summer work while I wait on finding the best possible sale for better shoes.

Berry

Postby Berry » Sun May 12, 2013 12:24 pm

I got through OCI without a (men's) bag. What will work for my SA for when I need to carry some documents? People don't use briefcases anymore, right? I guess it's high quality messenger bags now? Any links/store suggestions (in NYC)? Thanks.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Berry wrote:I got through OCI without a (men's) bag. What will work for my SA for when I need to carry some documents? People don't use briefcases anymore, right? I guess it's high quality messenger bags now? Any links/store suggestions (in NYC)? Thanks.

Yeah a messenger bag is great to have. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. For awhile, I just used the carrying bag that I bought as an accessory with my laptop. But then I got myself a nice messenger bag from Tumi as a treat, and thats going to be the bag I start with once I'm actually an associate. Would def recommend their stuff. They def have some reasonably-priced stuff, but its high quality.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Highly recommend Copper River Bag Co. Very happy with my purchase.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 12, 2013 12:32 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I kinda figured they were not "interview shoes" but want to make sure before i drop coin. will most likely go w/ the AE Park Avenues (or 5th Aves) :mrgreen:

You don't have to drop the money if you can't afford it. I picked up a pair of gently used Cole Haan's for $40 earlier this year. Sure, they won't last me 3 years, but they'll do for interview season and summer work while I wait on finding the best possible sale for better shoes.

If you actually put the effort into maintaining them properly, of course they could last you 3 years

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Sun May 12, 2013 1:50 pm

Berry wrote:I got through OCI without a (men's) bag. What will work for my SA for when I need to carry some documents? People don't use briefcases anymore, right? I guess it's high quality messenger bags now? Any links/store suggestions (in NYC)? Thanks.

Jack Spade is where it's at for messenger bags. They have many, many different options, most of which look great.

You could also look at the Filson Original Briefcase, which is great: http://www.filson.com/products/original ... 70256.html

I actually think that slinging a messenger bag over a suit looks pretty bad and awkward, and you're better off with something you can carry in your hands. The best is really one that has both a shoulder strap and handles.

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Sun May 12, 2013 2:05 pm

Did you guys bring a messenger bag/briefcase on your first day? I looked up old threads and people seemed to say that bringing a bag on the first day will make you look clueless, but I feel really weird about showing up with just a pen in my pocket. If a padfolio is TCR instead, can anyone recommend where to get a decent one? I've only managed to find them at places like staples, and theirs are usually stamped with some obnoxious logo oon the front or have a bunch of middle school looking compartments on the inside.

Also curious, for those of you who have/had business casual offices, did you hve some sort of blazer or suit jacket that you'd throw on on your way to work or when you went out to lunch or something? I lack creative eye and it feels hard to pick out a single color for such a jacket that I can feel safe with regardless of my pants or shirt (maybe grey or navy?). If you did, I'd love to see a picture of the sort of jacket you guys sported.

Thanks guys.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 12, 2013 2:07 pm

purpletiger wrote:

Jack Spade is where it's at for messenger bags. They have many, many different options, most of which look great.

You could also look at the Filson Original Briefcase, which is great: http://www.filson.com/products/original ... 70256.html

I actually think that slinging a messenger bag over a suit looks pretty bad and awkward, and you're better off with something you can carry in your hands. The best is really one that has both a shoulder strap and handles.

Agree about the handles/shoulder strap. I nearly always carried it by the handle as to avoid wrinkling my suit jacket.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 12, 2013 2:08 pm

MinEMorris wrote:Did you guys bring a messenger bag/briefcase on your first day? I looked up old threads and people seemed to say that bringing a bag on the first day will make you look clueless, but I feel really weird about showing up with just a pen in my pocket. If a padfolio is TCR instead, can anyone recommend where to get a decent one? I've only managed to find them at places like staples, and theirs are usually stamped with some obnoxious logo oon the front or have a bunch of middle school looking compartments on the inside.

Also curious, for those of you who have/had business casual offices, did you hve some sort of blazer or suit jacket that you'd throw on on your way to work or when you went out to lunch or something? I lack creative eye and it feels hard to pick out a single color for such a jacket that I can feel safe with regardless of my pants or shirt (maybe grey or navy?). If you did, I'd love to see a picture of the sort of jacket you guys sported.

Thanks guys.

You can totally show up with a bag on the first day. You will be getting lots of papers and info, so it is nice to store it easily from the get go. Again, it doesn't have to be anything fancy, or the bag you envision going to court with. But anything to hold all the papers and info is a good idea.

Berry

Postby Berry » Sun May 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys. Can any of you recommend any stores in NYC that carry bags like this? Easier/quicker than online for me.

And to MinEMorris, I've been asked to bring in forms the first day, so I'd probably look more clueless carrying them in my hands or in just a padfolio.

Itinerant

Postby Itinerant » Sun May 12, 2013 8:53 pm

Saddleback has some nice options as well

slim briefcase: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classi ... ory=301406

backpack: --LinkRemoved--

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun May 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Itinerant wrote:Saddleback has some nice options as well

slim briefcase: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classi ... ory=301406

backpack: --LinkRemoved--

Damn those are nice. If you want to save a couple of bucks, here's what I got (in "rustic brown"):

--ImageRemoved--

Bob-Loblaw 1

Postby Bob-Loblaw 1 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:13 am

tag

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Mon May 13, 2013 2:26 am

MinEMorris wrote:Did you guys bring a messenger bag/briefcase on your first day? I looked up old threads and people seemed to say that bringing a bag on the first day will make you look clueless, but I feel really weird about showing up with just a pen in my pocket. If a padfolio is TCR instead, can anyone recommend where to get a decent one? I've only managed to find them at places like staples, and theirs are usually stamped with some obnoxious logo oon the front or have a bunch of middle school looking compartments on the inside.

Thanks guys.

I think that bags are pretty worthless for anything unrelated to protecting a file from weather or carrying your laptop around, neither of which you're particularly likely to do as a SA. Thus, I would suggest that it is totally unnecessary to get a bag, much less drop a few hundred dollars on any of those suggested above. Padfolio if you anticipate taking notes (here's a cheap example devoid of any obnoxious external logos that's probably available at a local office supply joint); plain folder (manilla or pocket, whatever) if you just need to carry papers.

My standard business casual outfit is a suit with an open-collared striped or textured dress shirt. The jacket I wear when I'm going to/from the office is the suit jacket. Otherwise, the key to doing it without much thinking is to get a blue or gray jacket that doesn't closely match the color of any of your pants (i.e., no midnight navy jacket with black pants, no charcoal/navy jacket with only marginally-lighter charcoal/navy pants, etc.), preferably in a weave that is distinct from any of your pants. That's hard to do unless you have nothing but really light-colored pants, so you'll likely either need multiple jackets, or just not worry about it if your employer's form of "business casual" is casual enough to where you don't need a jacket.

-Pufer

Georgia Avenue

Postby Georgia Avenue » Tue May 14, 2013 8:04 pm

Working at a "business casual" firm this summer in DC. I have some wool dress pants but really hate wearing them in the DC summer humidity. Would pants like these be OK for business casual? Not the outfit, just the pants.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =323067002

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed May 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Georgia Avenue wrote:Working at a "business casual" firm this summer in DC. I have some wool dress pants but really hate wearing them in the DC summer humidity. Would pants like these be OK for business casual? Not the outfit, just the pants.

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... =323067002

Yes

prs362

Postby prs362 » Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 pm

So I just browsed this thread (after getting back from the mall). Should I return the 5 Roundtree and York Polyester slacks I just got from Dillards for $45 a piece? In other words, do they need to be wool? Slacks and button up, no tie for the summer firm. I thought they looked ok, but then again I know nothing about style or quality. I've got 1 pair of brown and 1 pair of black AE Park Avenues to go with them. Working within the budget of a teacher's salary.

Thanks

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Wed May 15, 2013 7:00 pm

vinnnyvincenzo wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Not to subvert the almighty Pufer, but might I recommend Suit Supply?

Is suit supply legit?

Going through the thread and saw this. Suit Supply is definitely legit. My experience with them was great- their tailoring is impeccable, and they've done a great job of working with me to show me fabrics for new suits, despite my being quite far from DC, NYC or Chicago. Could not be happier with them.

aces

Postby aces » Wed May 15, 2013 8:41 pm

So I am pretty terrible at ironing. I tried a few online videos and tutorials but between my crappy CVS iron and my lack of patience, most of my shirts have a few residual wrinkles (plus I tend to roll up my sleeves a lot). Is wearing a mildly wrinkled shirt a big deal? Should I start getting my dress shirts dry-cleaned? Invest in a vertical steamer? Are no-iron shirts worth it?

Return to “Legal Employment”