OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nevdash

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby nevdash » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 am

Antrim wrote:Question cause I dunno where else to ask it/where to find the direct answer if it's been asked in here. What/where's the most cost effective route of getting a non-plebe general wardrobe ready for city life? Tattered jeans and t-shirts work in college towns but I doubt they'll be as normal once I make the move. So not looking for suits, just jeans/dress shirts/etc.

Places like H&M, J Crew Factory, Uniqlo, and Banana Republic are all good starts.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 am

Antrim wrote:Question cause I dunno where else to ask it/where to find the direct answer if it's been asked in here. What/where's the most cost effective route of getting a non-plebe general wardrobe ready for city life? Tattered jeans and t-shirts work in college towns but I doubt they'll be as normal once I make the move. So not looking for suits, just jeans/dress shirts/etc.

I'm a fan of Kenneth Cole Reaction for dressier jeans (dark wash, no distress marks or fading or anything). Then I snag the more clean-cut Big Stars for more casual wear because I like the way the fit, they are super comfy, and they look nice.

For tops I wear mostly solid-colored v-necks that actually fit well and the extra slim fit dress shirts from Express because they fit my shoulders but still give a good fit through the waist and are much more sleek for going out and wearing with jeans.

BrooklynDodger89

Postby BrooklynDodger89 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:20 am

For a business casual firm, are non-wool slacks ever an acceptable choice? Here's an example of what I mean: http://www.express.com/clothing/stretch+cotton+photographer+dress+pant/pro/3832882/cat280012

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 am

Hey guys I think you guys might be interested in this...

BB Fitzgerald Suit Jacket BRAND NEW 40R $300 shipping included

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=208224&p=6675637#p6675637

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:50 am

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue in Granite Grey for $247 (+ an additional 15% off at the "register," so more like $210.)

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1
Last edited by sambeber on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:52 am

qwertyboard wrote:Hey guys I think you guys might be interested in this...

The fuck is this shit

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:57 am

Antrim wrote:
qwertyboard wrote:Hey guys I think you guys might be interested in this...

The fuck is this shit

Someone that is 5'4 selling a suit I think? :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Getting an light colored summer suit (http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_350293). Currently only have black dress shoes, which I assume will look goofy as fuck with a suit that light. I figure it is time to invest in a pair of nice brown dress shoes. I'm really not sure how light/dark the shoes should be, can people please advise or post a few links to some of their favorites?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Getting an light colored summer suit (http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_350293). Currently only have black dress shoes, which I assume will look goofy as fuck with a suit that light. I figure it is time to invest in a pair of nice brown dress shoes. I'm really not sure how light/dark the shoes should be, can people please advise or post a few links to some of their favorites?

Walnut Strands:

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Getting an light colored summer suit (http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_350293). Currently only have black dress shoes, which I assume will look goofy as fuck with a suit that light. I figure it is time to invest in a pair of nice brown dress shoes. I'm really not sure how light/dark the shoes should be, can people please advise or post a few links to some of their favorites?

Walnut Strands:

The Walnut McAllisters are on sale on the Allen Edmonds website:

Same brand and color, but with the wingtip detail.

However, if it is your FIRST brown shoe, I don't recommend walnut. But, you're in luck! Allen Edmonds has the Bourbon Calf McAllisters for the same price, which is a really, really nice medium brown. Not too dark, it goes well with light suits and dark suits. Plus, they come with a combination sole, which is usually a $50 increase. Combination soles are better for the occasional shitty weather day, but still the same quality.

So, basically, $400 shoes for $250. Not bad:

Buy em here

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:38 pm

Good catch. Strongly recommend PennBull's suggestions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks to both, do you recommend not getting walnut because it being too light makes it not work with certain dark suits? (For example, I have the look of black shoes with navy suits...I understand it is accepted but it looks odd to me and I may shift to whichever brown shoes I get. Are walnut too light and will the on sale, darker shoes look better?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to both, do you recommend not getting walnut because it being too light makes it not work with certain dark suits? (For example, I have the look of black shoes with navy suits...I understand it is accepted but it looks odd to me and I may shift to whichever brown shoes I get. Are walnut too light and will the on sale, darker shoes look better?

I personally like the walnut color paired with a navy suit. The reason it's not as credited as a darker color for your first brown is because it's less formal and harder to pair with darker suits.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Thanks to both, do you recommend not getting walnut because it being too light makes it not work with certain dark suits? (For example, I have the look of black shoes with navy suits...I understand it is accepted but it looks odd to me and I may shift to whichever brown shoes I get. Are walnut too light and will the on sale, darker shoes look better?

I personally like the walnut color paired with a navy suit. The reason it's not as credited as a darker color for your first brown is because it's less formal and harder to pair with darker suits.

Yeah. I could see a darker brown with a charcoal suit, but a walnut and charcoal combo seems a bit silly. Walnut + any other color is awesome, though.

If the Bourbons didn't have the combination sole, I'd say go Walnut because they're awesome. But the combination sole is a good value, and the darker brown is better for a first shoe anyways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:04 pm

Bought, thanks for the advice.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bought, thanks for the advice.

Welcome. And now you'll experience Allen Edmonds' awesomely fast free shipping and customer service.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:27 pm

TYIA for help!

I currently have a black cap toe shoe (looks like Allen Edmond's fifth avenue) and a pair of lambskin loafers I've had forever. I think I have the budget to find two more nice pairs of dress shoes. My firm is business casual, but I figure the smart move is for me to lean on the business side of that line. I'm thinking I should get one pair of walnut cap toe (e.g. park avenues) and maybe a pair of black wing tip dress shoes (maybe I should go for oxblood instead?). What do you guys think? What would best allow me a diverse, conservative wardrobe?

Thanks again!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TYIA for help!

I currently have a black cap toe shoe (looks like Allen Edmond's fifth avenue) and a pair of lambskin loafers I've had forever. I think I have the budget to find two more nice pairs of dress shoes. My firm is business casual, but I figure the smart move is for me to lean on the business side of that line. I'm thinking I should get one pair of walnut cap toe (e.g. park avenues) and maybe a pair of black wing tip dress shoes (maybe I should go for oxblood instead?). What do you guys think? What would best allow me a diverse, conservative wardrobe?

Thanks again!

A brown wingtip looks so, so much better than a black one.

As was just mentioned above, AE has a great sale going on now. Check it out.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:42 pm

NOTE: There is almost no reason whatsoever to be posting anon in this thread. Future anon abuse (unless there is an actual reason) will result in outing.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TYIA for help!

Thanks again!

One black shoe is enough.

I'd get a pair of brown (medium to dark) bluchers, and a pair of walnut wingtips or something like a walnut AE Strand.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:56 pm

I'd get a pair of loafers and a pair of brown dress shoes (bluchers, maybe wingtips).

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm the anon from above. Sorry for the mixup!

Thanks for the informative responses, guys! Given the information and some searching, I think I've located my next two pairs :). Thanks again.

ATR

Postby ATR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:55 pm

I'm still trying to find decent wool dress slacks (which look nice) for around $100. I checked J. Crew and BR's clearance sections at the locations near me, but there's nothing. Anyone have luck finding good slacks? I may just bite the bullet and shell out for HSM or something.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:22 pm

ATR wrote:I'm still trying to find decent wool dress slacks (which look nice) for around $100. I checked J. Crew and BR's clearance sections at the locations near me, but there's nothing. Anyone have luck finding good slacks? I may just bite the bullet and shell out for HSM or something.

For every day I just wear some from Jos A Bank at 2 for 100, they look ok and don't wear out. Nicer ones I have BB and some bespoke, also some from suits where I'm not a huge fan of the jackets any more。

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 pm

romothesavior wrote:Hai guyz I saw a guy at OCI 2day with a pink shirt an a paisley tie and he was waring tazzle loafers & nobody cared, u r all stoopid LOLZ

i realize this is out of nowhere, but every now and then i think of this thread and then i think of this post and laugh out loud each time.

thank you.

Return to “Legal Employment”