OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mephistopheles

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:42 pm

pufer, you never cease to amaze me.

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:56 pm

thoughts on this sale??

It seems too good to be true. There's no way these are close to 1818 quality
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/BrooksCoo ... for-%24899

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:59 pm

RodneyRuxin wrote:thoughts on this sale??

Right, because it's a
blend of wool, polyester and Lycra®

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:33 am

RodneyRuxin wrote:thoughts on this sale??

No, not close to 1818 quality. They are decent hot weather suits though.

yarsten

Postby yarsten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey all. First of all thanks for all the amazing wisdom imparted in this thread. My life has changed ;)
Now I have a question:

I am located in Utah and I have an aquaintance that works for this company: H.M.Cole. (LinkRemoved)
At first glance it looks to be an online MTM site similar to Indochino (read: questionable quality). However, because they're based locally they do everything in person. My acquaintance said their suits are half-canvassed but they can do full-canvassed for $45 more ( :shock: ).

All of this sounds too good to be true- before this I was thinking of going with something like black lapel, and these prices are much lower. I am pretty thin and tall, so standard 38+ suits don't really fit me, hence the interest in MTM. I'm going to go in and talk to the guy and see what they've got- is there anything in particular I should look for as far as red flags to indicate poor quality? I'm pretty inexperienced in the suit department. The website does list some of their fabric brand names (J.J. Minnis, Scabal, Harris Tweed, Giovanni Tonella, Antonio Barbaris Canonico, and Loro Piana) but they mean nothing to me. Their website does have some issues and they call it "bespoke" so that's worrisome, but maybe...

Any help would be appreciated!

TL;DR- does this place suck?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:33 am

Maybe I just dug through the wrong 30 pages of this thread (right enough to know Pufer is king), but I haven't seen a solid, in-depth, block discussion about business casual for SA/associates. I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone point me toward a good guide or resource that would be applicable to a business casual SA?

2. My approach to business casual when events called for it was always dress shoes, suit pants and a solid colored or lightly patterned dress shirt. Have I been doing it wrong?

3. I imagine I'll probably at least need to diversify my slacks for biz casual purposes, but are cap-toe dress shoes still a good call or should I get some new shoes?

4. Any other tips or insight into what a sufficient biz casual wardrobe would look like?

Thanks so much guys. Sometimes I feel like TLS is my third parent.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 am

For those bros who need your black Allen Edmonds Park Aves, there's some really lightly used ones on ebay in size 9D for 90 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-EDMONDS-M ... 1c31b7f90b

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:05 pm

PennBull wrote:For those bros who need your black Allen Edmonds Park Aves, there's some really lightly used ones on ebay in size 9D for 90 bucks:

Who the hell is a size 9? Lol.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 pm

chrisbru wrote:
PennBull wrote:For those bros who need your black Allen Edmonds Park Aves, there's some really lightly used ones on ebay in size 9D for 90 bucks:

i'm 10, so close..

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:28 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

i'm 10, so close..

I'm 5'9 160 lbs, and I wear an 8 EEE.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:

:|

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe I just dug through the wrong 30 pages of this thread (right enough to know Pufer is king), but I haven't seen a solid, in-depth, block discussion about business casual for SA/associates. I have a few questions:

1. Can anyone point me toward a good guide or resource that would be applicable to a business casual SA?

2. My approach to business casual when events called for it was always dress shoes, suit pants and a solid colored or lightly patterned dress shirt. Have I been doing it wrong?

3. I imagine I'll probably at least need to diversify my slacks for biz casual purposes, but are cap-toe dress shoes still a good call or should I get some new shoes?

4. Any other tips or insight into what a sufficient biz casual wardrobe would look like?

Thanks so much guys. Sometimes I feel like TLS is my third parent.

1. There is no such thing. I've worked in "business casual" legal environments that range from expecting nothing more than jeans and a polo, to an office that required dark slacks, a conservative dress shirt, and a tie (it was casual because you didn't have to wear a jacket). There are only two ways to figure out what "business casual" means at a particular workplace: (1) go there and see; or (2) ask somebody there.

2. That's likely perfectly acceptable in the vast majority of business casual legal workplaces. My own approach is similar and involves just wearing a suit with a striped or colored dress shirt and no tie, and then losing the jacket as soon as I show up in the office.

3. Depends on the firm. I know of one midsize firm that doesn't like anything that seems like a khaki, so basically requires dark dress trousers. Inasmuch as that's pretty much a pair of suit pants, you may not need to diversify at all. You'll generally have a fair bit of leeway with your shoes in business casual environment, so you can go with whatever sort of generally-formal type of shoes you prefer.

4. Just ask someone at the firm. I promise that they've received the question before and won't mind.

-Pufer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:05 am

Pufer:

best suit for for $1000ish or less?

for someone tall, jacked, and aesthetic. about 6' 3", and all un-flexed about 46" chest, 34" waist, 17" biceps, 26" thighs, 17" neck

Thanks

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Pufer:

for someone tall, jacked, and aesthetic. about 6' 3", and all un-flexed about 46" chest, 34" waist, 17" biceps, 26" thighs, 17" neck

Thanks

BB Fitz

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Pufer:

Thanks

Those dimensions are far enough out of the norm that I don't really have an answer for you.

I'm pretty sure that you're not going to find any suit with pants that can accomodate a six to seven inch chop at the waistband without starting to look weird (your bicep and thigh measurements probably mean you'll have a hard time fitting into slim cut lines even though they'd be better for your waist, so you're probably looking main lines which typically have either five or six inch drops, nowhere near the twelve you need) It'll be hard to easily find MTM in the sub-$1000 price range (although certainly not impossible, so that would be the best choice, regardless of brand). Thus, while separates are virtually never the answer, you might have to go that route, still setting aside at least $150 for waist suppression and tinkering with the pants.

Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to just start trying stuff on at various places. If any body type is made for the big JAB shoulders, it would probably be yours (I'd start a size below where your chest would place you—I'm thinking 44L—in a regular Signature line suit and see how that fits; my guess is your body type will make it look like a slimmer-cut suit through the arms and chest, and it will just require significant waist suppression), and JAB has a full lineup of both full suits and separates.

-Pufer

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Not to subvert the almighty Pufer, but might I recommend Suit Supply?

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Not to subvert the almighty Pufer, but might I recommend Suit Supply?

Is suit supply legit?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:35 pm

Never bought one myself, but it gets good reviews in the other Men's Style/Fashion thread.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Never bought one myself, but it gets good reviews in the other Men's Style/Fashion thread.

There's one in Philly opening up on the 24th. Really looking forward to it.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:41 pm

PennBull wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:Never bought one myself, but it gets good reviews in the other Men's Style/Fashion thread.

:shock:

TYFT bro

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
PennBull wrote:

TYFT bro

...are you in Philly? haha I never knew that

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
PennBull wrote:

TYFT bro

Tey serve you beer and espresso

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Danger Zone wrote:Not to subvert the almighty Pufer, but might I recommend Suit Supply?

My concern is that the anonymous fellow above isn't the typical athletic build guy, for whom a Suit Supply rec might be alright. A google image search for unflexed 17in biceps gives me this guy:

--ImageRemoved--

That dude in the pic is going to have trouble finding an OTR suit that can plausibly be tailored to his body.

The only number the suitsupply suit-fit tool is going to go with is his chest measurement (I just tried it). However, that will require that the guy chop six inches from the waistband of his pants according to the fit tool, which is damn close to a "recut the whole garment" procedure. It will also require that his arms fit through their higher/smaller arm holes and sleek sleeves, which they don't publish stats on.

Now, if he can go to an actual Suit Supply and try shit on/get a MTM, that's a different story, but I think this guy is beefy enough that there aren't going to be any blanket recommendations that we can give him that he can reasonably rely on as far as OTR suits go.

-Pufer

Clemson772

Postby Clemson772 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 am

Antrim

Postby Antrim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:02 am

Question cause I dunno where else to ask it/where to find the direct answer if it's been asked in here. What/where's the most cost effective route of getting a non-plebe general wardrobe ready for city life? Tattered jeans and t-shirts work in college towns but I doubt they'll be as normal once I make the move. So not looking for suits, just jeans/dress shirts/etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”