OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zettsscores40

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby zettsscores40 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:35 am

Considering ramming a catheter through my cock and/or getting more whiskey. Sup brehs?

FTR, this is what I'm talking about

http://www.bachrach.com/

They seem to be okay if you're on a budget from what gathering online but I trust this place more. Any one know of any good sales going on this weekend?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:36 am

zettsscores40 wrote:Considering ramming a catheter through my cock and/or getting more whiskey. Sup brehs?

FTR, this is what I'm talking about

http://www.bachrach.com/

They seem to be okay if you're on a budget from what gathering online but I trust this place more. Any one know of any good sales going on this weekend?

I vote you go for the whiskey.

I can't believe they'd be good considering the price even before the sale. But who knows? $150 isn't too much to gamble to pick one up for general wear to see how it looks and holds up.

zettsscores40

Postby zettsscores40 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

FTR, I went with mas whiskey. I just need something on short notice, I was putting off buying an interview suit and I unexpectedly got one next week when I was planning on doing most of them during SB so I'm running to find something now. All I really have is formal wear--black suit and a black pinstriped one with a bunch of separate slacks. 150-200 can't be too big of a gamble like you said and I'm planning taking care of the rest of the stuff later. I just didn't wanna buy complete junk. From what I'm gathering they seem to be 96/4 wool/cashmere blend. They were just the first place recommended that had a sale going. I'll do a bit more shopping around too as time permits but if I need it it tailored up, I'm gonna have to cop it today so it's ready by Monday.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 am

Miss you bro. There's only one bro left to rep Michigan (me), and I'm probably fading to black soon to focus on raising my grades.

W/r/t the suit questions, I agree that it's not a big risk to just throw down $150. I paid more for a shittier suit. Not a big deal.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 pm

What's the deal with belts? I usually buy Marshall's/TJ Maxx belts for like 10-20 bucks. Looks wise they're fine, but they do get beat up quite easily.

Is the quality of, say an AE belt that you can get for ~$50, signicantly higher in the sense that it lasts longer without fraying around the edges and holes?

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Does anyone know how good the JAB tailors are at tailoring JAB shirts?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:07 pm

turbotong wrote:Does anyone know how good the JAB tailors are at tailoring JAB shirts?

Depends on the location. Some have better tailors than others. I had better success taking the shirts to the tailor I know and always go to. I definitely like the JAB shirts, but always need to be slimmed down a bit for me.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J90

Postby J90 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Not quite for callbacks/recruiting, but Columbia's hosting a "cocktail reception" next week for alumni and admitted students in my area. Almost all of the attendees will be alumni, at least according to the current guest list.

Exactly how formal is this? I'll be wearing a mid to dark grey suit, as it's currently the only one I have that's not black, but I'm a bit more uncertain on how to approach the shirt/tie/shoes. I want to look professional without looking like I'm doing business. Would a white shirt/striped navy tie work fine? And for shoes, I have a pair of black plain-toe bluchers and walnut AE Strands. I wish I had a darker brown but I don't, except in boot form.

Anything helps - thanks.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:27 am

J90 wrote:Not quite for callbacks/recruiting, but Columbia's hosting a "cocktail reception" next week for alumni and admitted students in my area. Almost all of the attendees will be alumni, at least according to the current guest list.

Exactly how formal is this? I'll be wearing a mid to dark grey suit, as it's currently the only one I have that's not black, but I'm a bit more uncertain on how to approach the shirt/tie/shoes. I want to look professional without looking like I'm doing business. Would a white shirt/striped navy tie work fine? And for shoes, I have a pair of black plain-toe bluchers and walnut AE Strands. I wish I had a darker brown but I don't, except in boot form.

Anything helps - thanks.

Any networking event involving lawyers on a weekday --> medium gray to charcoal or navy suit + white or light blue shirt + normal, business-like tie + clean black or brown dress shoes = always appropriate

-Pufer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 pm

I discovered few months ago that my torso has a deformity that prevents the suit from being flat on my chest. The left side always pops out. Anyone else with a similar problem? How can that be corrected!?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I discovered few months ago that my torso has a deformity that prevents the suit from being flat on my chest. The left side always pops out. Anyone else with a similar problem? How can that be corrected!?

Someone else may be able to help more, but this is hard to answer without seeing how the suit fits you. Have you tried wearing into a tailor and asking if it can be adjusted so that it lays flat on the left side?

expat

Postby expat » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am

Does anyone have a good undershirt brand/style recommendation? I've recently come to accept the error of my crew neck under open collar ways, but I haven't found a v-neck that I really like (the seam in the middle of the neckline always bothers me and/or doesn't line up with my shirt the way I want it to). Maybe a tank would be better?

texanwahoo

Postby texanwahoo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 am

I'm not gonna scroll through all 165 pages of this thread to see if this advice has been proffered, but I had to wear a suit to work on a regular basis years before I started law school (I'm sort of a late bloomer), and ... well, I have expensive taste without the wallet to match. Here are my suggestions on how to look *awesome* for as little $$$ as possible:

1. Throw away any clothing with a Jos A Bank label on it. Seriously. Not even a model can make that shoddy crap look good.

2. The single best source for suits, period, is eBay. No, I am not kidding. I am personally partial to Brioni suits, which you would have seen in the past on Pierce Brosnan in all of his Bond films. They start at around $4K retail, and can cost double that if you get one with an outrageously expensive fabric (e.g. Super 180s). I bought my standby interview suit, classic blue with a fine chalkstripe, for $350. Brand new. Definitely *not* a copy (which, yes, you do have to look out for on eBay, but generally not for Brioni). It's outright embarrassing trying on inferior suits now; you see that the shoulders are shoddily made, the arms are literally glued onto the torso, and in general it simply doesn't "hang" right. I have a few "lesser" suits as well, including a $1200 Zegna that I bought for $100 (not brand-new, but close), only because Brioni suits in my size and apropos for law aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

3. Even if you choose to disregard both of the above suggestions, KNOW YOUR CORRECT SUIT SIZE. This is the number-one error I see on men in suits: they're in one that's a size, or sometimes even *two* sizes, too big. Suits are *supposed* to be a little snug (but not *too* snug), and you don't want to look like a linebacker in one of them. At the very least, go to a good department store (meaning Neiman's, not Macy's) and try on a few with the assistance of a salesman (no, you don't have to feel obligated to buy anything). Ask for honest advice on how a suit looks on you, and TRUST THE SALESMAN'S ADVICE. From there you can generally shop for suits anywhere, including online, since with only a few exceptions (mainly in trendy brands you wouldn't be wearing to work anyway), suits generally fit the same.

4. Aside from eBay, the best place to buy suits online is Gilt.com. Sign up for their daily newsletters and be on the lookout for suit sales. I recently bought a hickey suit (the "junior" brand to Hickey-Freeman, with a slightly less conservative, slimmer cut than the main brand, and intended for the 25-35 year old set) for $300, reduced from $1200.

5. Shirts: please, please, PLEASE do not buy "blousey" shirts that billow way out. Either buy something along the lines of Brooks Brothers Slim Fit line (their no-iron shirts are my "go to" standard for basic blue and white shirts), or even J. Crew's line of dress shirts. Note that most shirts sold at the likes of Macy's fit the "blousey" description. That said, taking in a shirt is one of the easiest tasks a tailor can do, and can be done quite inexpensively.

6. Outlet stores: all I'll say is, know going in that the stuff you'll see at most of them is not the stuff you'd *ever* see at their full-price counterparts. Brooks Brothers, for instance, makes a line specific to its outlet stores that pales in comparison quality-wise to anything you'd see in their regular stores. The Saks, Neiman's and Barneys outlets are also notorious for this practice, both for suits and regular casual wear. The ONLY outlet store I would unhesitatingly recommend is Nordstrom Rack, particularly for shirts, ties and belts (and to a lesser degree suits).

7. Shoes: again ... eBay. I'm partial to Ferragamos and buy them for a fraction of retail prices there, either NIB (new in box) or lightly used. I also like Tod's and have bought some of those on eBay as well; they're unusually comfortable, FYI, if you're going to be standing all day or something.

Feel free to ask if you want any additional suggestions. My dad has always been into nice suits, so I grew up appreciating the beauty of a fine cut. The ideal, of course, is bespoke (custom-made) suits, but unless you live in NYC, finding a decent custom suit for under $3K or so is amazingly difficult (and btw the online "custom" suits you might have seen are total crap).

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 am

expat wrote:Does anyone have a good undershirt brand/style recommendation? I've recently come to accept the error of my crew neck under open collar ways, but I haven't found a v-neck that I really like (the seam in the middle of the neckline always bothers me and/or doesn't line up with my shirt the way I want it to). Maybe a tank would be better?

You'd probably get a better response in the lounge thread. That said, tanks are always visible and always look worse than any other option. For crew neck, I find it's hard to beat the Kirkland Signature undershirts from Costco—long, thick, slim, and with a neck that won't fuck up on you. If they made v-necks, I'm sure they'd be awesome too. Sadly, they don't.

For v-necks, I generally go with the Alfani Basic line from Macy's (which is the only thing I ever get from Macy's). They're unusually stretchy without feeling spandexy, so its easier to situate the neck so that it sits at the right depth, and they're cheap enough that you can actually use them as they're intended to be used (i.e., replaced regularly without a second thought). However, while I'd say that they're worth a look, I'm not really all that enthusiastic about them.

texanwahoo wrote:1. Throw away any clothing with a Jos A Bank label on it. Seriously. Not even a model can make that shoddy crap look good.

I generally agree on points 3, 5, and 6, and take no stance on 7, but I do have a few comments.

JAB's list prices are preposterous, and I think that the shoulders are generally terrible. However, their upper end is no more shoddy than other mid-market OTR options, and their stuff can be tailored to look perfectly acceptable on most guys. If you need a suit soon, JAB is having one of its better perpetual super sales, and think you look fine in the mirror, JAB is perfectly fine at the Signature line or higher. It's also the sort of thing that a novice suit buyer won't be able to screw up all that bad.

texanwahoo wrote:2. The single best source for suits, period, is eBay. No, I am not kidding. I am personally partial to Brioni suits, which you would have seen in the past on Pierce Brosnan in all of his Bond films. They start at around $4K retail, and can cost double that if you get one with an outrageously expensive fabric (e.g. Super 180s). I bought my standby interview suit, classic blue with a fine chalkstripe, for $350. Brand new. Definitely *not* a copy (which, yes, you do have to look out for on eBay, but generally not for Brioni). It's outright embarrassing trying on inferior suits now; you see that the shoulders are shoddily made, the arms are literally glued onto the torso, and in general it simply doesn't "hang" right. I have a few "lesser" suits as well, including a $1200 Zegna that I bought for $100 (not brand-new, but close), only because Brioni suits in my size and apropos for law aren't as easy to find as they used to be.

Chalk stripe on an interview suit? Seriously? A pinstriped suit is generally not a safe option for a legal interview, but a chalk stripe is pushing it.

As to your more general point, Last Chance in Phoenix is the single best source for suits, period. Virtually everything available at Nordstrom you'll find on eBay came from Last Chance, only with a significant markup. For example, you can grab brand new Hickey Freeman mainline, in all colors/patterns, for $50 to $80 on a regular basis.

Now, if you can't make it to Phoenix, buying stuff off of eBay is an excellent option for high-end suits, but it's not without risk, and is certainly not something someone should attempt without already having a very good idea of his measurements and the clothing he is targeting in general; two things somebody who is looking for their first real suit is very unlikely to have. You see this all the time in the prices that 20 year old POS BB stuff goes for on eBay; folks obviously can't tell a well-used, bottom-of-the-line 90s-cut BB suit from its present-day equivalent. When you're dealing with stuff like Brioni—which Joe Law Student has never even heard of, much less knows enough about to accurately assess claims as to authenticity, age, and condition from an eBay listing—a lot of folks are going to get easily lost. Accordingly, buying suits off of eBay is probably something better left to people who already know that they can get suits off of eBay.

texanwahoo wrote:4. Aside from eBay, the best place to buy suits online is Gilt.com. Sign up for their daily newsletters and be on the lookout for suit sales. I recently bought a hickey suit (the "junior" brand to Hickey-Freeman, with a slightly less conservative, slimmer cut than the main brand, and intended for the 25-35 year old set) for $300, reduced from $1200.

Hickey isn't as much a junior brand to HF as much as it is a generic style brand with a licensed big name. List is $1,200, they're available every day of the week for $600, and $300 is an okay sale (I've seen non-solids dip to around $200). That said, they're basically of the Z Zegna and Hugo Boss mold, which is to say you probably shouldn't even pay the sale prices unless you really like them.

To be clear, I'm not panning any of those three brands (I actually really like the fit of some Hugo Boss lines, and have four Hugo Boss suits amongst my piles of suits; the key is that I've never paid more than seventy dollars for one). The issue is that they're style brands that have a big name stamped on them, which is a sure-fire recipe for JAB-style crazy price gouging, only without the occasional JAB-style seven-for-one deals. $300 is a good deal for a Hickey suit in the sense that it's hard to find them for cheaper than that. However, $300 is not all that incredible a deal for the quality of the suit you actually end up with (solid deal to be sure, but not anything to brag about).

The issue with Gilt is that this sort of thing applies to pretty much all the suits they ever have—virtually everything they deal in has wildly inflated list prices that you'd have a hard time ever actually paying. Moreover, while they occasionally have legit sales, their everyday level "sales" aren't that incredible (i.e., the last Hickey suit I recall seeing on Gilt was at or around the $500 level, which is not even a sale in that it's pretty much what you can get them for at Off 5th). Just as with eBay, if you don't know what you're doing, Gilt will screw you, and is not a good recommendation for novice suit-buyers.

-Pufer

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:27 am

Pufer wrote: etc

How does one go about finding good suits for under say, 100 bucks?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 am

Tagging in order to continue receiving Pufer's wisdom.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:35 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:How does one go about finding good suits for under say, 100 bucks?

eBay is a solid option, but you probably can't expect $1,000 suits to fall that low. The key, as noted above, is to be patient, know all of your dimensions, and pay a lot of attention to what you're getting so that you're not ending up with some thirty year old shapeless sack with huge lapels.

Other than that, you have to luck out on sales (Dillard's Clearance Center is a solid option for quality sub-$150 suits during their better suiting sales if you're in Dillard's country, although you're not going to end up with any solids at that price point), luck out at a thrift shop, have a source for factory seconds, or find a dumping ground for some high-end retailer (every return or in-house tailoring mistake from any Nordstrom in the country ends up at Last Chance in Phoenix; there are presumably more such places for other retailers, although I am unaware of where they might be).

It's pretty hard to end up with solid sub-$100 suits, but it's certainly possible.

-Pufer

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:16 pm

I'll chime in with a few responses to texanwahoo too.

1. Eh, I don't know if I'd agree with that. I hate JAB (and all retailers who do the insane retail ---> huge "sale" schtick) and thought I'd never buy anything there, but I got a suit there for Christmas due to a big need for one, and I've been pleasantly surprised with it (it's the Signature line). Their dress shirts, while not on par with my BB dress shirts in terms of quality, fit me better than any dress shirts I've found on the market. And I have two merino wool sweaters that I got for $25 a pop that look and feel great.

2. +1 to everything Pufer said. I've started to look into Ebay suits more and more as I've gotten more savvy, but I'm still wary. I think the Rack is the place to go for first-time suit buyers.

3. Yep. A well-tailored low-quality suit >>> an expensive burlap sack. For someone on a budget who just needs an interview suit, staying under $500 for a solid, well-tailored suit should be no problem.

4. I am an avid Gilt shopper (and Hautelook and Ruelala) but I don't think I trust any of them for things like suits or shoes. They often sell shitty products on "sales" that fool people with the seemingly-fancy label, mistaking them for the real thing. I have purchased some non-dress items from Rue and Gilt and have been very satisfied though.

5. Agreed.

6. Yes and no. I wouldn't go to an outlet store for a suit or probably even for dress pants/shirts, but they are a great place to go for casual wear because the difference in say, a pair of casual chinos or shorts or t-shirts at a place like BB Outlet vs. the BB is marginal, if any.

7. YES. I'm a huge advocate of Ebay for shoes. I have a shoe collection that would rival most law students (especially poors like me) and it's in large part due to great deals on Ebay. I think I'm up to 6 pairs of AEs, a pair of Aldens, and a pair of Ferragamos (among others) in the last two or three years and I've probably spent somewhere in the ballpark of $1000-1200 for the lot.

Once you start to know a bit about style/fashion (and I'm getting there... I've gone from decent dresser to solid dresser to, hopefully soon, really sharp high-end dresser) I'd recommend the Style Forum Marketplace. You have to be patient, and you have to know what you're looking for, but I've seen some awesome shoes and suits on there for great deals. I think one of my first paychecks is going towards a pair of G&Gs or Lobbs. 8)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:54 am

Thoughts on whether a fade is appropriate for BigLaw interviews? I look like a dark white guy if that matters. How about a long fade? Shorter fade?
I've been buzzing/fading my head since like 10th grade...

Just pulling some images off Google: which might be ok, if any?
1) Image

2) Image
*minus chinstrap obv

3) --ImageRemoved--

4) Image

5) --ImageRemoved--

6) Image

Basically going from shortest to longest... will these be perceived as too "juvenile" by biglaw hiring? its how im comfortable but could probably grow it out and gel it to the side if i needed to...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:58 am

I ditched the fade/buzz/whatever for OCI. PM me if you want specifics. In general, I did a super simple coif and looked solid. Anything else and I would have looked a bit out of place, which is the opposite you want for interviewing.

Lawyer hiring is very conservative. Act like it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:12 am

Business Casual Cocktail dinner.

Black blazer, white dress shirt, tank khakis, park aves.

Thoughts?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:14 am

PennBull wrote:I ditched the fade/buzz/whatever for OCI. PM me if you want specifics. In general, I did a super simple coif and looked solid. Anything else and I would have looked a bit out of place, which is the opposite you want for interviewing.

Lawyer hiring is very conservative. Act like it.

i'd be as conservative as possible during OCI. once you get an offer, it seems you can do whatever you want with your hair within reasonable bounds.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 am

Those of you buying off eBay... are you buying used or new?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Business Casual Cocktail dinner.

Black blazer, white dress shirt, tank khakis, park aves.

Thoughts?

What is a tank khaki?

Sounds good otherwise.

Return to “Legal Employment”