OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:03 am

redline380 wrote:no need to tip-toe (no pun intended) around my "feelings". I had no idea that having a second toe longer than your big toe was a "syndrome" until i googled it. i normally wear comforatable shoes which are larger than i need anyways, about a size 11, when i'm a 10 or 10.5. but my dress shoes offer discomfort. i really became aware of the toe issue about ten years ago when i was wearing a hand-me-down set of golf shoes which were too small. i ended up loosing the toenail of my second toe on my left foot from wearing those shoes for a round of golf and I want to avoid that in dress shoes. It is currently not an issue as I only wear dress shoes maybe once a year, but i anticipate it being a problem in the future.


Also, have you tried on "wide" dress shoes? (like EE, EEE/3E, EEEE/4E). I find that a 12D (normal) fits just fine for square toes, but I have to get a 12EE in more pointy toes (dress shoes, golf shoes, and even running shoes).

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15495
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Picked up a pair of J&M Melton's for $120 on Shoebuy. Good site, and worth getting on their email list if you are in need of shoes as they always seem to have sales. Unfortunately Allen Edmonds is never a participating brand.

Going to head to Nordstrom Rack later this week, focusing on dress shirts and business casual stuff. Any good values to look out for?

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 2014 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Picked up a pair of J&M Melton's for $120 on Shoebuy. Good site, and worth getting on their email list if you are in need of shoes as they always seem to have sales. Unfortunately Allen Edmonds is never a participating brand.

Going to head to Nordstrom Rack later this week, focusing on dress shirts and business casual stuff. Any good values to look out for?

Nordstrom Rack tends to be too much of a shit show for my tastes, but I've had luck with ties there in the past. Not that a tie is a dress shirt or business casual.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby RPK34 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Picked up a pair of J&M Melton's for $120 on Shoebuy. Good site, and worth getting on their email list if you are in need of shoes as they always seem to have sales. Unfortunately Allen Edmonds is never a participating brand.

Going to head to Nordstrom Rack later this week, focusing on dress shirts and business casual stuff. Any good values to look out for?


If you know fashion pretty well, the Rack can be fine. There's just a lot of crap to weed through. A lot of the stuff is poor quality and looks quite cheap. I've gone through the stuff and found some good stuff for a decent price though.

User avatar
Mad Hatter
Posts: 655
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Mad Hatter » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

The key at the Rack is to find the stuff that actually came from Nordstrom. If something is stacked, it didn't come from Nordstrom. If it's a random label that you keep seeing over and over in the store (like Bugatchi) then it didn't come from Nordstrom. I've actually never even seen Bugatchi outside The Rack. The key is to find the rare shirt (or, more likely, shoes) that's a return from Nordstrom.

-Mad Hatter

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 am

Mad Hatter wrote:The key at the Rack is to find the stuff that actually came from Nordstrom. If something is stacked, it didn't come from Nordstrom. If it's a random label that you keep seeing over and over in the store (like Bugatchi) then it didn't come from Nordstrom. I've actually never even seen Bugatchi outside The Rack. The key is to find the rare shirt (or, more likely, shoes) that's a return from Nordstrom.

-Mad Hatter


They got Bugatchi Uomo stuff at regular Nordstroms too. The Rack doesn't actually get returns; it's mostly stuff from past seasons or that has been fucked up somehow in the stores and either refurbished through some mysterious means or just sent over if it's not that bad. All Nordstrom returns are either put back on the rack if unquestionably unused with all tags, or they're shipped to the basement of a half-empty mall in Phoenix where they're sold off at firesale prices. If you think the Rack is a shitshow, Nordstrom Last Chance is like Black Friday every day of the year (link to a video of the daily warnings). I've literally seen ladies being hit with batons by rent-a-cops while wrestling over returned Kate Spade bags and the like for 90+% off.

With that in mind, there's a whole group of people in Phoenix whose job is to go to Last Chance every morning, fight their way to some primo shit, and then sell it on eBay. Accordingly, its a pretty safe bet that everything you see on eBay that is available at Nordstrom probably came from Last Chance, especially if the seller is in Arizona. You can easily identify Last Chance shoes in particular because they have two roundish holes drilled into their soles so that you can't return them to a Nordstrom (which has amazing return policies) for full price after paying $50 for a pair of used AEs (it took me less than half a minute to find an example on eBay—note the two holes on the sole of the shoe to the left in the fourth picture).

Be very wary of that stuff. With Nordstrom's amazing return policies, Last Chance is full of vomit-crusted, destroyed, and otherwise horrifying returns. Torn Zegna ties covered with ink? They got 30 of them for $5. Unwashed expensive women's panties? Last Chance has a fucking bin full (usually with some creepy ass motherfuckers digging through it). It surely takes some balls to return some of that stuff, but apparently lots of rich white people got some.

At the same time, let's say you have the Nordstrom house tailor tailor your new $1,200 Hickey Freeman suit to you. You go back the next week and the tailor cut the pants irretrievably too short for your long 34.5 inch inseam. You get a new suit, and Nordstrom writes off the other one and sends it to Phoenix where I'm lurking with my fabric tape measure to discover that three inches too short for you is about perfect for me. Thus, I get a NWOT $1,200 suit for $50 in need of only a little tailoring.

That's the draw of Last Chance, but you cannot possibly guess at whether that suit on eBay was the in-house tailor fuckup, or the one where the guy shat himself and then had the balls to return the uncleaned suit to Nordstrom. If you're on eBay and you see shoes with the two holes in them, or a suit with the brand crossed out in permanent marker, be really wary, especially if the seller is from Arizona.

-Pufer

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12744
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:18 am

What about the "29" on the sole? I've seen a lot of those on ebay. Is that where all of those come from?

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:41 am

LeDique wrote:What about the "29" on the sole? I've seen a lot of those on ebay. Is that where all of those come from?


29 is a stocking code. They open the crates from the Nordstrom stores and someone in the back marks everything with a code indicating where it goes in the Last Chance. They then randomly throw everything in a trash can on wheels. Someone else grabs the trash can and wanders through the store (with a rent-a-cop escort yelling at people to stay away) putting stuff where the codes tell them to. 29 is men's shoes. 770 is men's suits and sportcoats.

The other number you often see is the price code, which is fairly unimaginative (e.g., 39.5 = $39.50).

-Pufer

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

So my boss told me that he loves the non-iron dress shirts from Costco that are like $17. This isn't a guy of expensive or exquisite taste, but he does business casual appropriately. Can anyone corroborate these shirts for use in business casual situations?

kryptix
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kryptix » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:12 pm

chrisbru wrote:So my boss told me that he loves the non-iron dress shirts from Costco that are like $17. This isn't a guy of expensive or exquisite taste, but he does business casual appropriately. Can anyone corroborate these shirts for use in business casual situations?


Not too bad but I don't like the cut... Order some from Charles Tyrwhitt when they go on sale and they're ~30 a shirt and I think superior if that's what your looking for.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby hephaestus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 am

Are AE Sanfords acceptable or are there too many stylized perforations? Already have a pair of black park aves for interviews but looking for a second pair for the office.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby bk1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:48 am

ImNoScar wrote:Are AE Sanfords acceptable or are there too many stylized perforations? Already have a pair of black park aves for interviews but looking for a second pair for the office.

They are fine for the office. Generally the advice for interviews is to go as conservative as possible because you don't want to take any chances. Once you start working (even if you are still being evaluated, e.g. SA) you can be more relaxed.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6380
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 5ky » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:58 am

bk1 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Are AE Sanfords acceptable or are there too many stylized perforations? Already have a pair of black park aves for interviews but looking for a second pair for the office.

They are fine for the office. Generally the advice for interviews is to go as conservative as possible because you don't want to take any chances. Once you start working (even if you are still being evaluated, e.g. SA) you can be more relaxed.


Yeah. AE Strands were pretty popular at my firm this past summer, and those have far more stylized perforations than the Sanford. Go for it.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby hephaestus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:54 pm

5ky wrote:
bk1 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:Are AE Sanfords acceptable or are there too many stylized perforations? Already have a pair of black park aves for interviews but looking for a second pair for the office.

They are fine for the office. Generally the advice for interviews is to go as conservative as possible because you don't want to take any chances. Once you start working (even if you are still being evaluated, e.g. SA) you can be more relaxed.


Yeah. AE Strands were pretty popular at my firm this past summer, and those have far more stylized perforations than the Sanford. Go for it.

Great. Thanks!

JRustle
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby JRustle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:12 pm

All I saw pufer mention in his megapost was about JaB traveler shirts... Does anyone know anything about the traveler SUITS? I've already got a sig gold for interviews and stuff, just looking at picking up a 2nd suit. $275 right now on the traveler line, good or bad?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:30 pm

JRustle wrote:All I saw pufer mention in his megapost was about JaB traveler shirts... Does anyone know anything about the traveler SUITS? I've already got a sig gold for interviews and stuff, just looking at picking up a 2nd suit. $275 right now on the traveler line, good or bad?

i have a JAB traveler suit. it's a decent suit; a little slimmer than the sig gold. i got it as part of one of those buy one get the whole store free deals so i have no idea what a good price is.

JRustle
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:10 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby JRustle » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:58 pm

fatduck wrote:
JRustle wrote:All I saw pufer mention in his megapost was about JaB traveler shirts... Does anyone know anything about the traveler SUITS? I've already got a sig gold for interviews and stuff, just looking at picking up a 2nd suit. $275 right now on the traveler line, good or bad?

i have a JAB traveler suit. it's a decent suit; a little slimmer than the sig gold. i got it as part of one of those buy one get the whole store free deals so i have no idea what a good price is.


yeah i went and tried one just now, definitely not a fan. would compare it to the executive line. maybe worth $200 or so tops.

Itinerant
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Itinerant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Has there already been a discussion on watches?

I'm eyeing the Seamaster PO or 300m. Diver's look a bit gaudy though

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 20130312 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 pm

Itinerant wrote:Has there already been a discussion on watches?

I'm eyeing the Seamaster PO or 300m. Diver's look a bit gaudy though

Divers are in style. Can never go wrong with a Seamaster, that's a timeless look.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:26 am

Itinerant wrote:Has there already been a discussion on watches?

I'm eyeing the Seamaster PO or 300m. Diver's look a bit gaudy though


For interview purposes, I'd avoid anything as attention grabbing as a diver. I'd go simple analog, normal-sized, black leather band. My interview watch is one of these, only with a black band (if you watch them, they occasionally dip down to around $100). It's unobtrusive, inoffensive, and nominally a Tissot, so it gets at least some respect. However, it's still a $100 watch, so you're not flashing dollar signs on your wrist. Basically, exactly what I want in an interview.

For other purposes, divers are pretty accepted, if a bit on the gaudy side. I personally prefer leather bands, but that's just me. However, I'm also generally a proponent of not wearing a watch that stands to be more expensive than the watch being worn by my supervisor, especially as an intern/SA; I've witnessed some dick waving contests that have resulted from that sort of thing, and that's probably to be avoided if you're looking for a job.

-Pufer

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:15 am

I rock my school-logo Fossil (black face, silver band) pretty much all the time, including interviews. Probably wouldn't do this to big city firms, but since I only applied to jobs in my state (in which the school is located), I highly doubt it was an issue.

Itinerant
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:54 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Itinerant » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Pufer wrote:
Itinerant wrote:Has there already been a discussion on watches?

I'm eyeing the Seamaster PO or 300m. Diver's look a bit gaudy though


For interview purposes, I'd avoid anything as attention grabbing as a diver. I'd go simple analog, normal-sized, black leather band. My interview watch is one of these, only with a black band (if you watch them, they occasionally dip down to around $100). It's unobtrusive, inoffensive, and nominally a Tissot, so it gets at least some respect. However, it's still a $100 watch, so you're not flashing dollar signs on your wrist. Basically, exactly what I want in an interview.

For other purposes, divers are pretty accepted, if a bit on the gaudy side. I personally prefer leather bands, but that's just me. However, I'm also generally a proponent of not wearing a watch that stands to be more expensive than the watch being worn by my supervisor, especially as an intern/SA; I've witnessed some dick waving contests that have resulted from that sort of thing, and that's probably to be avoided if you're looking for a job.

-Pufer


All great points. I went to my interviews bare wrist- my bad for not noticing the thread title, I wanted to discuss watches generally.

Relevant: At a firm Christmas party, I noticed an associate with a Rolex Sub and a partner with a Casio digital.

User avatar
zettsscores40
Posts: 2118
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:49 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby zettsscores40 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 am

Any one have any experience with the quality of Bachrach suits/stores? They have a sale tomorrow and I just need 1-2 okay suits. Really just need one for the upcoming week so I have to pick something up tomorrow. Missed out on a Jos A. Bank sale a while back and I'm kicking myself for it .

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 am

zettsscores40 wrote:Any one have any experience with the quality of Bachrach suits/stores? They have a sale tomorrow and I just need 1-2 okay suits. Really just need one for the upcoming week so I have to pick something up tomorrow. Missed out on a Jos A. Bank sale a while back and I'm kicking myself for it .

Have never heard of it, but HEY WHAT'S GOOD ZETTS?

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12744
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby LeDique » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
zettsscores40 wrote:Any one have any experience with the quality of Bachrach suits/stores? They have a sale tomorrow and I just need 1-2 okay suits. Really just need one for the upcoming week so I have to pick something up tomorrow. Missed out on a Jos A. Bank sale a while back and I'm kicking myself for it .

Have never heard of it, but HEY WHAT'S GOOD ZETTS?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.