OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:51 pm

shock259 wrote:30% off Brooks Brothers suits. I went to the store today and they said 30% off everything in store and 30% off some stuff online. 1818 Milano in Solid Navy for $600? Y YASE, YASE PLZ

To BB aficionados, what time of year is the other semi-annual sale?

I picked up the same suit at their first semi annual in early July I believe. You are including the extra like 15% off you get if you open a BB card right? That saves you another like $75 which is way more than any CC rewards you would get.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Aww crap. Forgot to open that. Oh well. $600 for that suit is still pretty awesome.

I wonder if they'll do my alterations in the store for free if I bought it online. I'll probably need the waist taken in a bit and the pants hemmed/inseam done.

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 pm

shock259 wrote:Aww crap. Forgot to open that. Oh well. $600 for that suit is still pretty awesome.

I wonder if they'll do my alterations in the store for free if I bought it online. I'll probably need the waist taken in a bit and the pants hemmed/inseam done.

I think they will hem the pants, other stuff they charge for regardless of in store or out. They aren't too bad though, it's 10-15 bucks per alteration iirc.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Thinking of taking the plunge on these. Is this a good enough deal to justify not getting brand new AE Park Aves?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/xx-Allen-Edmond ... 2a267127a8

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:12 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Thinking of taking the plunge on these. Is this a good enough deal to justify not getting brand new AE Park Aves?

Your call - my opinion is you can get a lower price on ebay but those look pretty close to new. It is also worth noting you can get the Park Aves on sale for 220-230, and there are sales on factory seconds that make Park Aves 180 iirc (I'm not sure on the price on the Park Aves with the seconds sales) if that changes anything. As always, it depends how patient you're willing to be.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:15 pm

LeDique wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:Thinking of taking the plunge on these. Is this a good enough deal to justify not getting brand new AE Park Aves?

Your call - my opinion is you can get a lower price on ebay but those look pretty close to new. It is also worth noting you can get the Park Aves on sale for 220-230, and there are sales on factory seconds that make Park Aves 180 iirc (I'm not sure on the price on the Park Aves with the seconds sales) if that changes anything. As always, it depends how patient you're willing to be.

I'm really in no rush. If you think a better deal is likely to come along, I'll wait it out.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:25 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
LeDique wrote:

I'm really in no rush. If you think a better deal is likely to come along, I'll wait it out.

Well, I think you can definitely be more patient on ebay and get comparably good looking used ones for 80-100 as a high-end estimate, if that's what you're after. You could also send a message to the seller after those have been up for a while offering to buy them if they lower the buy it now price to what you're willing to pay. 150 is an unexceptional price really, so I think you have little to lose by waiting. Even if you miss these, another pair of Park Aves will show up at the price point sooner or later. If you're really looking for a deal, I'd just watch a lot of auctions of AEs in your size and learn what pricing seems to go like. Knowing that really helps too if you want to ask for a lower than listed price, ie: I knew the winning bid for a really nice pair of Park Aves was 75 when this guy had his auction starting at 100 for some Fifth Aves. I messaged him after they went without a bid, pointing out the highest they normally go for is 75 and suggesting he post them starting at 50, which he did and I bought them at that price. But I have the patience and time to deal with this (not that it takes very much time).

Your size might make a difference in pricing too.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:18 pm

LeDique wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
LeDique wrote:

Well, I think you can definitely be more patient on ebay and get comparably good looking used ones for 80-100 as a high-end estimate, if that's what you're after. You could also send a message to the seller after those have been up for a while offering to buy them if they lower the buy it now price to what you're willing to pay. 150 is an unexceptional price really, so I think you have little to lose by waiting. Even if you miss these, another pair of Park Aves will show up at the price point sooner or later. If you're really looking for a deal, I'd just watch a lot of auctions of AEs in your size and learn what pricing seems to go like. Knowing that really helps too if you want to ask for a lower than listed price, ie: I knew the winning bid for a really nice pair of Park Aves was 75 when this guy had his auction starting at 100 for some Fifth Aves. I messaged him after they went without a bid, pointing out the highest they normally go for is 75 and suggesting he post them starting at 50, which he did and I bought them at that price. But I have the patience and time to deal with this (not that it takes very much time).

Your size might make a difference in pricing too.

Very helpful, thanks!

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:50 am

shock259 wrote:Aww crap. Forgot to open that. Oh well. $600 for that suit is still pretty awesome.

They will do (some) alterations for free, yes.

They fucked up my online order (overcharged me by $150) so I'll be going into the store to get it all sorted out and I might try to open up a BB card. Can you get a non-credit BB store card and get 15% off with that?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 am

Blumpbeef wrote:

They will do (some) alterations for free, yes.

They fucked up my online order (overcharged me by $150) so I'll be going into the store to get it all sorted out and I might try to open up a BB card. Can you get a non-credit BB store card and get 15% off with that?

Yep, that's what I did. They'll try to push the credit card on you, but just tell them you want the in-store charge only.

mirodh

Postby mirodh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:16 am

Help please. I live in Texas so it doesn't get cold enough to weren't a coat over a suit jacket... In the few periods it does get cold enough what's tcr on what to wear over a suit? Preferably something not too awkward to wear while driving (overcoat is nearly impossible to drive in). I've never needed anything more than a hoodie really growing up, now that I'm an adult wtf should I get that want be too heavy for tx?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 am

mirodh wrote:Help please. I live in Texas so it doesn't get cold enough to weren't a coat over a suit jacket... In the few periods it does get cold enough what's tcr on what to wear over a suit? Preferably something not too awkward to wear while driving (overcoat is nearly impossible to drive in). I've never needed anything more than a hoodie really growing up, now that I'm an adult wtf should I get that want be too heavy for tx?

Is the suit jacket not enough? I don't wear anything over my suit unless it gets below 20 degrees or so.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:44 am

mirodh wrote:Help please. I live in Texas so it doesn't get cold enough to weren't a coat over a suit jacket... In the few periods it does get cold enough what's tcr on what to wear over a suit? Preferably something not too awkward to wear while driving (overcoat is nearly impossible to drive in). I've never needed anything more than a hoodie really growing up, now that I'm an adult wtf should I get that want be too heavy for tx?

Some variety of overcoat is the only option if you care about what you look like outdoors. Other, less-optimal options depend on where you're headed:

1) To/from school from/to home: It never matters what you're wearing to/from school. Wear your hoodie (or whatever) and carry your suit jacket in with you to change inside.
2) To/from the office from/to home: Wear your overcoat/other nice-looking dark jacket that is long enough that it could be covering a suit jacket over your shirtsleeves, carry your suit jacket or leave your jackets in the office during the winter.
3) To court, lawyerish meeting, or interview: You should drive sans jacket to prevent wrinkles and, unless you're someplace where coatrooms exist (i.e., not Texas), having to travel long distances outside and it's legitimately cold (like chrisbru, I'm thinking teens or less), or it's raining/snowing, you should suck it the fuck up and just wear your suit.

-Pufer

mirodh

Postby mirodh » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:29 am

Pufer wrote:

Some variety of overcoat is the only option if you care about what you look like outdoors. Other, less-optimal options depend on where you're headed:

1) To/from school from/to home: It never matters what you're wearing to/from school. Wear your hoodie (or whatever) and carry your suit jacket in with you to change inside.
2) To/from the office from/to home: Wear your overcoat/other nice-looking dark jacket that is long enough that it could be covering a suit jacket over your shirtsleeves, carry your suit jacket or leave your jackets in the office during the winter.
3) To court, lawyerish meeting, or interview: You should drive sans jacket to prevent wrinkles and, unless you're someplace where coatrooms exist (i.e., not Texas), having to travel long distances outside and it's legitimately cold (like chrisbru, I'm thinking teens or less), or it's raining/snowing, you should suck it the fuck up and just wear your suit.

-Pufer

Thanks. I guess nut up is tcr, I may cheat and use option 2 occasionally though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:28 pm

interviewing with a few big law texas firms.

Planning on wearing a navy suit....is dark brown wingtip shoes ok with the suit?

shoes kinda look like this

JRustle

Postby JRustle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:interviewing with a few big law texas firms.

Planning on wearing a navy suit....is dark brown wingtip shoes ok with the suit?

shoes kinda look like this

I would say no, unless TX is different from everywhere else; these are a bit informal. Go with black cap toes.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:21 pm

No to those shoes.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:52 am

Spent a few hours on this thread and learned ALOT.

Thanks to all the contributors.

Looking forward to reading the Men's Style/Fashion Thread now.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 am

JRustle wrote:I would say no, unless TX is different from everywhere else; these are a bit informal. Go with black cap toes.

Are black shoes/belt fine to wear with a navy suit? I just got two navy suits from the BB sale, and was going to pick up some burgundy cap toes with matching belt, but would love to save the money (for now) if I can get away with black.

JRustle

Postby JRustle » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 am

chrisbru wrote:
JRustle wrote:I would say no, unless TX is different from everywhere else; these are a bit informal. Go with black cap toes.

Are black shoes/belt fine to wear with a navy suit? I just got two navy suits from the BB sale, and was going to pick up some burgundy cap toes with matching belt, but would love to save the money (for now) if I can get away with black.

Black shoes are more than fine with a navy suit.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:54 am

chrisbru wrote:

Naval officers do it all the time.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Nova wrote:Spent a few hours on this thread and learned ALOT.

Thanks to all the contributors.

Looking forward to reading the Men's Style/Fashion Thread now.

Hide your credit cards, that and this thread have led to nearly 2 grand down the hole for me (But I look great now obi)

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:47 pm

got a navy and charcoal suit already, so i just picked this up for $200 last night:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... 88#pdpTabs

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:35 am

I agree that those shoes may be too dark for a navy suit.

I wear these J & Ms w/ navy and light gray and they look fantastic w/ either:

--ImageRemoved--

That said, for a big law interview i would err on the side of caution and probably go brown or black captoes

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:15 am

Lasers wrote:got a navy and charcoal suit already, so i just picked this up for $200 last night:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... 88#pdpTabs

Those are great-looking suits. As i recall, I wanted one at one point but they didnt have my size so i went w/ a similarly-colored Alfani suit instead. I would've preferred the Hilfiger but I was in a time crunch...

Cheap, too! Just pay good money for tailoring (sorry if you already knew this)

Return to “Legal Employment”