OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 20130312 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i wore loafers to OCI. callbacks from nearly every V10 + elite DC firms. grades + maturity > spending $200 I don't have on shoes.

Can we not rehash this argument again, snowflake?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:19 pm

I was literally born wearing loafers. I straight up came out of the womb with a pair of loafers on, and I have not taken them off since. And I've owned life since then.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:i wore loafers to OCI. callbacks from nearly every V10 + elite DC firms. grades + maturity > spending $200 I don't have on shoes.

that's a surprise given your complete lack of reading comprehension

MapsMapsMaps

Postby MapsMapsMaps » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:09 pm

In 2 weeks I have an interview for a fellowship/scholarship. On the board there will be judges, lawyers, and professors. Many of whom are (apparently) quite prestigious. I only have 2 suits: black and navy pinstripe. Part of me thinks that I should go buy a charcoal suit now since I will likely need it for OCI. But I hoped to avoid that until spring. But there is money and a fellowship (read: resume bullet) on the line.

What to do? I guess I have the money to buy it, but I'm kind of a cheap bastard. But that also makes me want scholarship money!

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:59 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:

that's a surprise given your complete lack of reading comprehension

Incredibly mature use of anon

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 pm

*"has" $50k for tuition*
*doesn't have $200 for shoes*

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:17 pm

MapsMapsMaps wrote:In 2 weeks I have an interview for a fellowship/scholarship. On the board there will be judges, lawyers, and professors. Many of whom are (apparently) quite prestigious. I only have 2 suits: black and navy pinstripe. Part of me thinks that I should go buy a charcoal suit now since I will likely need it for OCI. But I hoped to avoid that until spring. But there is money and a fellowship (read: resume bullet) on the line.

What to do? I guess I have the money to buy it, but I'm kind of a cheap bastard. But that also makes me want scholarship money!

You'll be fine with either. This thread isn't to set absolutes; it's meant to set a standard for those who haven't yet bought anything.

If you have time, I still suggest buying a shitty Jos A Bank charcoal suit and get it tailored (takes about a week). If not, no worries, just don't dress like an idiot (so wear standard oxfords, regularish tie), and you'll be fine.

Again, for the 100000th time in this thread: if you already have bought something brand new, that's okay. If not, and you have time, just buy the standards and you are in a foolproof bombshelter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:42 am

Someone squirted mayonnaise on the pants of my only suit yesterday :evil:

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Someone squirted mayonnaise on the pants of my only suit yesterday :evil:

Well, better buy a new one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 am

MapsMapsMaps wrote:In 2 weeks I have an interview for a fellowship/scholarship. On the board there will be judges, lawyers, and professors. Many of whom are (apparently) quite prestigious. I only have 2 suits: black and navy pinstripe. Part of me thinks that I should go buy a charcoal suit now since I will likely need it for OCI. But I hoped to avoid that until spring. But there is money and a fellowship (read: resume bullet) on the line.

I think you can be fine in either suit. The bigger factor to me is the details. If it's a well-tailored thin navy pinstripe, fine. If it's a 3-button, pleated, cuffed, wide pinsriped hideous suit, paired with a garish tie...then I might recommend buying a nice cheap charcoal suit.

That said, if you have the money, why not buy it? I think you will definitely want a charcoal suit in life, so what's the difference between now and later?

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:21 pm

OK, so a firm (not Quinn) has explicitly told me that a CB I received is "business casual." It's the first time I've come across this. What do I wear?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm

fingersxd wrote:OK, so a firm (not Quinn) has explicitly told me that a CB I received is "business casual." It's the first time I've come across this. What do I wear?

Consensus has been a button down and slacks, possibly with a blazer if that makes you more comfortable. But no tie. Ties are reserved for "business" or "professional attire".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:47 pm

I'm amazed.

1/4th of the the men at OCI look terrible.

If your shoes have rubber soles, you're gonna have a bad time.
If your tie and shirt came as a set w/ a matching pocket square, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you wear a vest, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you don't bar lace, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you have monogrammed french cuffs, a lapel pin, a tie bar, a pocket handkerchief, and a gold bracelet, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you borrowed a middle school kid's prom tie, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you go in an interview with your jacket unbuttoned, flapping around and framing your enormous beer gut, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you sag, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you wear a "skinny" suit, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you're overweight and you're suit is stretching at your calves, gut, chest, and arms, you're gonna have a bad time.

How can people spend 100K+ on a legal education, yet not have the wherewithal to set aside a few hundred bucks so that they do not look like cell phone salesmen during the one week of law school that actually fucking matters? How can you be smart enough to get into a top school, yet not realize that the hiring partner thinks you look like an ass in a skin tight suit?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm amazed.

If your tie and shirt came as a set w/ a matching pocket square, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you have monogrammed french cuffs, a lapel pin, a tie bar, a pocket handkerchief, and a gold bracelet, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you go in an interview with your jacket unbuttoned, flapping around and framing your enormous beer gut, you're gonna have a bad time.
If sag, you're gonna have a bad time.
If you're overweight and you're suit is stretching at your calves, gut, chest, and arms, you're gonna have a bad time.

How can people spend 100K+ on a legal education, yet not have the wherewithal to set aside a few hundred bucks so that they do not look like cell phone salesmen during the one week of law school that actually fucking matters? How can you be smart enough to get into a top school, yet not realize that the hiring partner thinks you look like an ass in a skin tight suit?

Solid anon use

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:

If sag, you're gonna have a bad time.

Solid anon use

He'd be outed because he's the only person dressed correctly at Yale, obviously.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:58 pm

I agree with all of the above, except the bolded. No one cares how you tie your shoes, so long as they are tied.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I agree with all of the above, except the bolded. No one cares how you tie your shoes, so long as they are tied.

People might care, but they sure don't notice.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:00 pm

RVP11 wrote:People might care, but they sure don't notice.

I never want to meet someone who gives a shit about how shoes are laced.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:02 am

While I "bar lace," or "straight lace," my shoes, I don't think it's "correct." It's just a choice that tends to look better. It's definitely at the bottom of the list of things to worry about.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:09 am

Flips88 wrote:
RVP11 wrote:People might care, but they sure don't notice.

I never want to meet someone who gives a shit about how shoes are laced.

If you don't like people who are pedantic...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:54 pm

Are bow ties ok to wear? I mean after the interview and CB, like in the office on a daily basis.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are bow ties ok to wear? I mean after the interview and CB, like in the office on a daily basis.

I usually only wear mine at the office when I wear my tuxedo or my coat tails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are bow ties ok to wear? I mean after the interview and CB, like in the office on a daily basis.

We had a southern SA at my firm who wore a bowtie on occasion, and the other guys were sort of fascinated, and we all started wearing them on set days as a running joke, and it somewhat caught on around the office. Though if I were the only one, I would have felt a bit odd and out of place.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:34 pm

after going through OCI, i can confirm that this thread is the absolute worst.

(can someone please post a picture of a red or blue pin-dot tie on this page?????)

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Stringer6 wrote:after going through OCI, i can confirm that this thread is the absolute worst.

(can someone please post a picture of a red or blue pin-dot tie on this page?????)

Yay, you discovered that your fellow law students dress like shit. Would you like a gold star?

Return to “Legal Employment”