OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennBull

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 am

Never wear a pocket square to interviews. What the hell.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to just follow the ultra-conservative, ultra-safe, no-fail route for interview attire. It is completely ridiculous to suggest WELL MAYBE IF I ADD THIS WHITE POCKET SQUARE I'LL LOOK MORE PROFESSIONAL. It is NOT completely ridiculous for an interviewer to think you're a douche for wearing a pocket square.

Rare event, sure. But when the two results are "95% chance it won't do anything at all" and "5% chance they'll think I'm a moron", where's the help?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 am

dreakol wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:I wore a white pocket square, not popping out, just showing across the top of my pocket (with traditional, not showy white shirt, red stripe tie, and grey suit). Career services said not to wear pocket squares to interviews. What is the consensus from people here on pocket squares.

did you dress up for career services or something?

No, they never saw me, they were just doing a web presentation about interview stuff.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 am

The pocket square is unlikely to hurt you, but in my 12-week SA at a firm with a business formal dress code I didn't see a single one. Why take the chance?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:06 am

So what shirts are available under $50? I know it should be white, button down, barrel cuff with buttons, no buttons on the collar, 100% cotton.

I'd prefer one without pockets, but the only place I know with pocketless shirts is Express, and that's a no-go for interviews. I live in Iowa, so it's not like the store selection is great either.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 am

chrisbru wrote:So what shirts are available under $50? I know it should be white, button down, barrel cuff with buttons, no buttons on the collar, 100% cotton.

I'd prefer one without pockets, but the only place I know with pocketless shirts is Express, and that's a no-go for interviews. I live in Iowa, so it's not like the store selection is great either.

Do you have a Nordstrom Rack? That's where I got mine. Regular Nordstroms might have them.

Also, Express shirts are SPS because they get destroyed in 3 washes, but if you get a new one for a good deal it's fine for interviews. I actually like the way they fit me, I just wish they didn't suck after 2 months of wearing them.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:16 am

I bought a brand called Eagle from Macy's for less than 50 dollars a shirt. It's crisp, white, and all cotton. That should fit your parameters. As usual, buy the slim fit or it looks tenty.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 am

chrisbru wrote:So what shirts are available under $50?

I usually pounce on the 40% off sale at BB when they have it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:24 am

PennBull wrote:Never wear a pocket square to interviews. What the hell.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to just follow the ultra-conservative, ultra-safe, no-fail route for interview attire. It is completely ridiculous to suggest WELL MAYBE IF I ADD THIS WHITE POCKET SQUARE I'LL LOOK MORE PROFESSIONAL. It is NOT completely ridiculous for an interviewer to think you're a douche for wearing a pocket square.

Rare event, sure. But when the two results are "95% chance it won't do anything at all" and "5% chance they'll think I'm a moron", where's the help?

Haven't you been in the OCI suits thread man?

"It doesn't matter what you wear, I wore a pinstriped suit with a French collar and a pair of rubber soled shoes that I wore from my busboy days and I got an offer herpy derp derp."

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:33 am

romothesavior wrote:

"It doesn't matter what you wear, I wore a pinstriped suit with a French collar and a pair of rubber soled shoes that I wore from my busboy days and I got an offer herpy derp derp."

Just doing my part to impart some sanity in the thread every so often for the lurkers who might actually fall for the derp.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 am

romothesavior wrote:

yea, that's what so many people were saying in there, bro.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:42 am

Stringer6 wrote:yea, that's what so many people were saying in there, bro.

Then you haven't been reading long. There have been a number of "I wore insert hideous/asinine item and I got an offer" posts.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:46 am

romothesavior wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:yea, that's what so many people were saying in there, bro.

Then you haven't been reading long. There have been a number of "I wore insert hideous/asinine item and I got an offer" posts.

oh i thought you were referencing the Park Ave/laces or no laces/tassle loafer debacle

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:49 am

PennBull wrote:
Do you have a Nordstrom Rack? That's where I got mine. Regular Nordstroms might have them.

Also, Express shirts are SPS because they get destroyed in 3 washes, but if you get a new one for a good deal it's fine for interviews. I actually like the way they fit me, I just wish they didn't suck after 2 months of wearing them.

No Nordstrom OR Nordstrom Rack within 4 hours lol. Closest one is Minneapolis.

Agreed about Express shirts - I love the way they fit, but they do suck. I wear them for business casual and going out, and can get a decent life out of them if I dry clean them. I just figured since they are cotton/spandex blend they wouldn't be good for interviews.

Bedsole wrote:I usually pounce on the 40% off sale at BB when they have it.

joeshmo39 wrote:I bought a brand called Eagle from Macy's for less than 50 dollars a shirt. It's crisp, white, and all cotton. That should fit your parameters. As usual, buy the slim fit or it looks tenty.

Will check out both of these. We do actually have a Macy's and a BB "346" store.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:55 am

chrisbru wrote:Agreed about Express shirts - I love the way they fit, but they do suck. I wear them for business casual and going out, and can get a decent life out of them if I dry clean them. I just figured since they are cotton/spandex blend they wouldn't be good for interviews.

Eh, they look totally fine for an interview as long as they're pressed and clean. I have one that I recently got for super cheap ($23) that I plan on wearing at least for one or two days of OCI. And yeah, I have 2 Express shirts (bought during my college days...) that I really like the color of that I dry clean for cheap.

In other words, if you need something now for OCI and are limited on shopping/shipping options, you can do so, so much worse than a white, new shirt from Express as long as you're not paying their lulzy $59.50 sticker price or whatever. It just won't last past OCI, but whatever.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:13 am

When not doing interviews, I wear a pocket square five days per week, usually with fairly elaborate folds (crowns, puffs, etc.). Compliments from total strangers are pretty common. I would never consider wearing a pocket square to an interview. WTF?

apparentlynew

Postby apparentlynew » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:19 am

BB shirts are solid and are reputed to last a long time. They also sell a lot of non-iron shirts which are great. Normally about $80 but BB has lots of sales, and if you go to the outlet you might find some for as low as 50 if you buy three (or something like that).

Make sure you are getting the right fit, not just the correct size. I'm a 16.5 and 34 but it's just as important that I wear a slim or extra-slim.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:20 am

mrloblaw wrote:When not doing interviews, I wear a pocket square five days per week, usually with fairly elaborate folds (crowns, puffs, etc.). Compliments from total strangers are pretty common. I would never consider wearing a pocket square to an interview. WTF?

Yeah, it seems a lot of people are thinking "but that's fashionable and looks good! Why shouldn't I wear that?! I'd look good for the interview!"

The point isn't to look "good" or "fashionable"...the point is to look clean-cut and completely non-assuming for one of the most conservative and stuck-up professions in the country. Don't risk looking like an asshat for the interviewers who have a stick up their ass (which many of them do). After you get the job, sure, go nuts with your pocketsquares and french cuffs and whatever.
Last edited by PennBull on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:31 am

For those asking about shirts, I really recommend the Calvin Klein shirts at Macy's. They have them in a slim fit that really fits me well (unlike the slim fit from other brands), they are 100% cotton, wrinkle free, you have multiple choices for collar spreads, etc. they run for around 40 but are often on sale for less. Just a few weeks ago, the Macy's by me was selling them for 30 a piece. They definitely look and feel better than my other shirts, and I recommend them for those who are looking for very solid interview/internship shirts without breakig the bank.

jarak01

Postby jarak01 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:35 am

I've had good luck with Land's End Non-Iron shirts too, in their "tailored fit"

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:47 am

kaiser wrote:For those asking about shirts, I really recommend the Calvin Klein shirts at Macy's. They have them in a slim fit that really fits me well (unlike the slim fit from other brands), they are 100% cotton, wrinkle free, you have multiple choices for collar spreads, etc. they run for around 40 but are often on sale for less. Just a few weeks ago, the Macy's by me was selling them for 30 a piece. They definitely look and feel better than my other shirts, and I recommend them for those who are looking for very solid interview/internship shirts without breakig the bank.

+1. I have two of these and have worn them for both OCI and SA (and my firm is business formal). They look as good as my $100+ shirts. Beware, however, that the white ones are sort of see-through, so wear a tshirt underneath.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:53 am

Lincoln wrote:
kaiser wrote:For those asking about shirts, I really recommend the Calvin Klein shirts at Macy's. They have them in a slim fit that really fits me well (unlike the slim fit from other brands), they are 100% cotton, wrinkle free, you have multiple choices for collar spreads, etc. they run for around 40 but are often on sale for less. Just a few weeks ago, the Macy's by me was selling them for 30 a piece. They definitely look and feel better than my other shirts, and I recommend them for those who are looking for very solid interview/internship shirts without breakig the bank.

+1. I have two of these and have worn them for both OCI and SA (and my firm is business formal). They look as good as my $100+ shirts. Beware, however, that the white ones are sort of see-through, so wear a tshirt underneath.

I found that you can avoid this if you get the shirts with the reeeeally thin stripes. The stripes are so thin and closely-spaced that you barely even notice the stripes when you are a few feet away, but it gives the shirt a very slight hue that stops that see-through effect you sometimes get with the plain white shirts. Makes it so the shirts go particularly well with certain tie colors also. But honestly, with an undershirt, it's never a problem.

And I also wore those shirts to my SA (also biz formal) and actually got compliments on them, which is something I can't say for the more expensive shirts I have.
Last edited by kaiser on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:55 am

Lincoln wrote:+1. I have two of these and have worn them for both OCI and SA (and my firm is business formal). They look as good as my $100+ shirts. Beware, however, that the white ones are sort of see-through, so wear a tshirt underneath.

Is there ever an occasion that you WOULDN'T wear a plain white crew neck undershirt underneath?

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:53 pm

Lincoln wrote:

how did you guys maintain your CK shirts? after one wash, it was ruined for me. their slim fit really fits well though.

purpletiger

Postby purpletiger » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:00 am

I've read a lot about the captoe shoes, but is it really catastrophic if I don't have them? I bought these at the Nordstrom sale and I am very happy with them: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am

chrisbru wrote:
Lincoln wrote:+1. I have two of these and have worn them for both OCI and SA (and my firm is business formal). They look as good as my $100+ shirts. Beware, however, that the white ones are sort of see-through, so wear a tshirt underneath.

Is there ever an occasion that you WOULDN'T wear a plain white crew neck undershirt underneath?

If I were going to a business casual event I would wear a v-neck so it doesn't show at the open collar. And white shows under white, but lavender gray doesn't, if you can find a tshirt in that color. My point was just that they are more see-through than most white shirts.

dreakol wrote:how did you guys maintain your CK shirts? after one wash, it was ruined for me. their slim fit really fits well though.

My cleaner does a fine job with them. I've had my white one for about 18 months and it still looks good.

Return to “Legal Employment”