OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Mike12188

Silver

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

apparentlynew wrote:Ditto on BB emails.

What's a good store in DC that sells suit separates? I cannot divine the answer from yelp; I know BB doesn't. Does Nordstrom? I have a big ass so my pant and jacket sizes are always at odds and I won't wear pleats, thus separates are a must. My OCI starts 8/15 so I don't think I have time to get pants tailored.
Nordstrom Rack does.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:39 pm

There's an excellent opportunity to get great (Testoni) shoes for sub-100 bucks on gilt.com today. Use promo code My50 to get 50% off of black or brown cap toe shoes. Just do a search for testoni and you should find them on sale for about 150, then use promo code My50. I ordered myself a pair of the browns even though I've got AE Park Avenues and Players (both in Black) just cuz for that price it's worth it to get a pair of nice brown ones, just in case. I get nothing from this, just thought I'd let y'all know.

Edit add: hard to find these through Gilt. In fact, I just ordered them and I already can't find them... never mind. Try clicking here. http://www.gilt.com/look/gifts?s_id=9a0 ... gin=xmerch

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:18 pm

mr_toad wrote:There's an excellent opportunity to get great (Testoni) shoes for sub-100 bucks on gilt.com today. Use promo code My50 to get 50% off of black or brown cap toe shoes. Just do a search for testoni and you should find them on sale for about 150, then use promo code My50. I ordered myself a pair of the browns even though I've got AE Park Avenues and Players (both in Black) just cuz for that price it's worth it to get a pair of nice brown ones, just in case. I get nothing from this, just thought I'd let y'all know.

Edit add: hard to find these through Gilt. In fact, I just ordered them and I already can't find them... never mind. Try clicking here. http://www.gilt.com/look/gifts?s_id=9a0 ... gin=xmerch
Do they run true to size?

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Can't say, just ordered them today

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:21 pm

Do y'all think these are perfectly conservative enough/proper color for OCI?

--ImageRemoved--

I can also get the pindot one in red/burgundy. Should I replace the striped tie with a red/burgundy pindot?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:29 pm

mr_toad wrote:Can't say, just ordered them today
Shit. Promo code won't work for me.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

Sorry, might have been because I was prior customer who had never ordered. Sorry.

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Can park aves still be found on sale anywhere?

I have some j&m meltons that shred my achilles area and now have the blisters to prove I tried to tough it out. Maybe it's time to step it up.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:40 pm

mr_toad wrote:Sorry, might have been because I was prior customer who had never ordered. Sorry.
Yea. Maybe. I got one of those for 25% off way back when, but it's expired. Can't find any valid ones online now either. Even tried creating a new account, but no dice.

Let me know how they are. I'll have to jump on the deal next time I see it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Both are excellent PennBull. FWIW I own the pindot in both colors and I own a striped tie just like that one.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Pufer wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:
LeDique wrote:Seriously. I'm wearing those shitty Bostonian captoes that cost like 60 bucks. But they're good enough that if anyone looks down, no one is going to care.
Could I really get away with this? I just want something relatively inexpensive to wear that won't get crazy looks with a suit. Something under 100 , don't care that it's going to br rubber soled for now.
You can easily get leather-soled Bostonian cap-toes for under $100. I have a pair I picked up a couple years back at a Nordstrom Rack for like $35 that I wear when it might rain (less concerned about fucking up the soles on a pair of shitty Bostonians) and I imagine nobody has ever noticed any difference between them and either my reserved-for-interview-duty J&M Meltons or my everyday AE Park Avenues (or even my Fifth Avenues for that matter).

The number of people who can tell the difference between some black, leather-soled, rounded cap-toe Bostonian and any other black, leather-soled, rounded cap-toe shoe at a glance is pretty small (I mean, with maybe one exception, I could rattle off the color, design, width, and be about 75% sure of the brand of tie of every one of the law students I've interviewed these last three semesters; I surely noted their shoes at the time, but I couldn't tell you anything about their shoes today except for the couple guys who deviated memorably from the norm in that department). Bostonians are certainly shitty, but they're also certainly fine for anything you'll encounter in law school, including interviews.

-Pufer
Are these the Bostonians in question? --LinkRemoved--

I actually bought these last year for OCI because of this thread and the leather sole issue, and it turns out they're not actually leather soled. A few sites selling them list it as leather soled (a few say rubber too), but after feeling the sole I am almost positive the sole is synthetic. It certainly feels different than any other leather soled shoe I've touched before. I guess the confusion is over the sole not being black.

On a side note, I actually like these shoes more now than I did a year ago. When they're new they're shiny and cheap looking, as they age they get less shiny and more understated.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Pufer wrote:
Revolver066 wrote:
LeDique wrote:Seriously. I'm wearing those shitty Bostonian captoes that cost like 60 bucks. But they're good enough that if anyone looks down, no one is going to care.
Could I really get away with this? I just want something relatively inexpensive to wear that won't get crazy looks with a suit. Something under 100 , don't care that it's going to br rubber soled for now.
You can easily get leather-soled Bostonian cap-toes for under $100. I have a pair I picked up a couple years back at a Nordstrom Rack for like $35 that I wear when it might rain (less concerned about fucking up the soles on a pair of shitty Bostonians) and I imagine nobody has ever noticed any difference between them and either my reserved-for-interview-duty J&M Meltons or my everyday AE Park Avenues (or even my Fifth Avenues for that matter).

The number of people who can tell the difference between some black, leather-soled, rounded cap-toe Bostonian and any other black, leather-soled, rounded cap-toe shoe at a glance is pretty small (I mean, with maybe one exception, I could rattle off the color, design, width, and be about 75% sure of the brand of tie of every one of the law students I've interviewed these last three semesters; I surely noted their shoes at the time, but I couldn't tell you anything about their shoes today except for the couple guys who deviated memorably from the norm in that department). Bostonians are certainly shitty, but they're also certainly fine for anything you'll encounter in law school, including interviews.

-Pufer
Are these the Bostonians in question? --LinkRemoved--

I actually bought these last year for OCI because of this thread and the leather sole issue, and it turns out they're not actually leather soled. A few sites selling them list it as leather soled (a few say rubber too), but after feeling the sole I am almost positive the sole is synthetic. It certainly feels different than any other leather soled shoe I've touched before. I guess the confusion is over the sole not being black.

On a side note, I actually like these shoes more now than I did a year ago. When they're new they're shiny and cheap looking, as they age they get less shiny and more understated.
This last part is very credited, and I think the first part is too. For illustration, here's the AE's that I've had for a few weeks (right) vs. the Bostonians (left) I've had for a year. You can see the difference in how the soles have worn - photo didn't come out the best but I think it's enough proof: http://i.imgur.com/ZJQCk.jpg (too big for inline, too lazy to resize).

apparentlynew

New

Post by apparentlynew » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:24 am

Wanted to say thanks for the Nordstrom rack advice. I found a pair of AE Park Aves at Nordstrom for 220, they're very comfortable. Also some really good slim fit suits - though the jury will remain out until I see what magic the tailoring works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:29 pm

mr_toad wrote:Sorry, might have been because I was prior customer who had never ordered. Sorry.
was able to get a 30% off promo to work. ("my30")

still enough that I thought it worth trying.

let's hope they are as nice as they look.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:42 pm

fingersxd wrote:

Yeah, I doubt they're the "real" deal (i.e., made in Italy), but even so, worth trying at that price, I think.

fingersxd

Silver

Post by fingersxd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:14 pm

mr_toad wrote:
fingersxd wrote:

Yeah, I doubt they're the "real" deal (i.e., made in Italy), but even so, worth trying at that price, I think.
Was your 50% off capped at $50?

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:15 pm

No. $150 - $75 plus $5 for shipping. I would have bought much more but there was very little on sale yesterday that I wanted.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:59 pm

goodolgil wrote:Are these the Bostonians in question? --LinkRemoved--

Nah, mine are balmorals and the soles are definitely real leather (I can take pictures of them if anyone is interested enough to try to identify the model). They are at least three years old now, so it's possible that the whole Bostonian world has changed since then, however. That said, the new Bostonian soles still look to be as thin as real leather soles, so they're still absolutely fine if anyone is looking at them for cheap, real-leather sole or not.

-Pufer

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:59 am

Well, I need new shoes ASAP, and have not much money to spend on them. These look ok?

--LinkRemoved--

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:10 am

Not getting this groupon, but I thought I'd share.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/banks-ashb ... a65004bdf4

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 am

I wore a white pocket square, not popping out, just showing across the top of my pocket (with traditional, not showy white shirt, red stripe tie, and grey suit). Career services said not to wear pocket squares to interviews. What is the consensus from people here on pocket squares.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:19 am

My natural inclination is to take the opposite stance of career services.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:35 am

Law Sauce wrote:I wore a white pocket square, not popping out, just showing across the top of my pocket (with traditional, not showy white shirt, red stripe tie, and grey suit). Career services said not to wear pocket squares to interviews. What is the consensus from people here on pocket squares.
Wore a white pocket square with the same straight fold all throughout OCI. Got several compliments.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 am

Law Sauce wrote:I wore a white pocket square, not popping out, just showing across the top of my pocket (with traditional, not showy white shirt, red stripe tie, and grey suit). Career services said not to wear pocket squares to interviews. What is the consensus from people here on pocket squares.
did you dress up for career services or something?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:12 am

Emma. wrote:
Wore a white pocket square with the same straight fold all throughout OCI. Got several compliments.
It's either this or no pocket square.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”