OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newbienew
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby newbienew » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:42 am

Not sure if the last post is directed at me, but all I've done is ask questions to try to figure out what's acceptable. Are the shoes I posted above really "clown shoes"? Some people act like all this information is obvious, and that anyone who doesn't immediately know what to wear is deliberately trying to go against the norm. I've never owned a pair of dress shoes in my life. Right now, I have one pair of sneakers and one pair of my dad's old tassel loafers that I've worn to work every day this summer. That's it. Until yesterday, I had no idea what a cap toe was, what a rubber vs. leather sole would look like, etc.

You can fairly accuse me of preparing at the last-minute (it's too late for me to be ordering off ebay now), but all that sh*tboomer stuff seems totally misplaced and unfair.

More to the point: does anyone have the minority opinion that the shoes I posted above (http://www.shoeshow.com/Freeman-Cornell ... olor=Black) are acceptable? If not, can anyone recommend stores where I could find acceptable shoes ASAP?

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Chupavida » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:47 am

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Chupavida » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:51 am

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:56 am

newbienew wrote:Not sure if the last post is directed at me, but all I've done is ask questions to try to figure out what's acceptable. Are the shoes I posted above really "clown shoes"? Some people act like all this information is obvious, and that anyone who doesn't immediately know what to wear is deliberately trying to go against the norm. I've never owned a pair of dress shoes in my life. Right now, I have one pair of sneakers and one pair of my dad's old tassel loafers that I've worn to work every day this summer. That's it. Until yesterday, I had no idea what a cap toe was, what a rubber vs. leather sole would look like, etc.

You can fairly accuse me of preparing at the last-minute (it's too late for me to be ordering off ebay now), but all that sh*tboomer stuff seems totally misplaced and unfair.

More to the point: does anyone have the minority opinion that the shoes I posted above (http://www.shoeshow.com/Freeman-Cornell ... olor=Black) are acceptable? If not, can anyone recommend stores where I could find acceptable shoes ASAP?


The shitboomer stuff is directed at the people saying shoes don't matter, that sort of thing.

And no, those shoes are not acceptable. Go to Macy's or the nearest mall and find a pair of these:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/john ... p_mobi=yes

Or, if those are too expensive, these:

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/dock ... p_mobi=yes


Though the J&M's are a much better shoe and will last a lot longer.

But that's the style you want. Simple, plain, dress work shoes.

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby A12345 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:26 pm

These should be fine right? I got a pair new for a little less than 90 and thought it was a pretty good deal (I got the black if the link doesn't work right).

http://www.endless.com/s/ref=topnav_sk_ ... geCode%3Dd

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:28 pm

A12345 wrote:These should be fine right? I got a pair new for a little less than 90 and thought it was a pretty good deal (I got the black if the link doesn't work right).

http://www.endless.com/s/ref=topnav_sk_ ... geCode%3Dd


Perfect. Enjoy your interviews.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Chupavida wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Lol. I linked the wrong ones, but even if I did buy those, the idea that I wasted $100 on shoes I really like because they have the wrong toe is the stuff of American Psycho.

People can like things that are ugly, and/or a waste of money. There's nothing "American Psycho" about the reality is that there are far better ways to spend $100 if you are buying clothes for OCI interviews. It also doesn't help that bad black shoes don't have much casual use. It would be a different story if we were talking about a pair of monkstraps or AE Strands that could pull double duty.


Classic Bateman.

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Chupavida » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:12 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lysis
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Lysis » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:13 pm

This thread causes me more anxiety than any other. I just realized that I purchased "sh*tty Bostonians" with rubber soles. I'm going in with the mentality that any firm with an associate anal enough to notice and ding me because I have the wrong black captoe shoes on probably wouldn't be a fun place to work to begin with.

I understand the risk-minimizing mentality of those of you who are laying out the safest possible wardrobe, but I think there's a point at which it's going overboard. Time spent hunting for the perfect used AEs on ebay would probably be better spent researching firms...

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Hannibal » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Lysis wrote:This thread causes me more anxiety than any other. I just realized that I purchased "sh*tty Bostonians" with rubber soles. I'm going in with the mentality that any firm with an associate anal enough to notice and ding me because I have the wrong black captoe shoes on probably wouldn't be a fun place to work to begin with.

I understand the risk-minimizing mentality of those of you who are laying out the safest possible wardrobe, but I think there's a point at which it's going overboard. Time spent hunting for the perfect used AEs on ebay would probably be better spent researching firms...


Pretty much agree with this. This kind of self-torture risk minimization will defeat you way more than help you.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:41 pm

Lysis wrote:This thread causes me more anxiety than any other. I just realized that I purchased "sh*tty Bostonians" with rubber soles. I'm going in with the mentality that any firm with an associate anal enough to notice and ding me because I have the wrong black captoe shoes on probably wouldn't be a fun place to work to begin with.

I understand the risk-minimizing mentality of those of you who are laying out the safest possible wardrobe, but I think there's a point at which it's going overboard. Time spent hunting for the perfect used AEs on ebay would probably be better spent researching firms...



And that's where I think this thread devolves into unhelpful neuroses, as I was saying earlier.

User avatar
Chupavida
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Chupavida » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:09 pm

.
Last edited by Chupavida on Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chup
Posts: 23645
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:48 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chup » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:27 pm


Outed; banned.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby BunkMoreland » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:41 pm

I'm doing interviews for my firm this OCI; I will be dinging every last one of you Bostonian/square-toed/rubber-soled motherfuckers. A brand new Park Avenue will run you $200 and last for decades. The idea that you just can't fathom spending $200 for one because you're a bro or whatever doesn't bode well for your chances.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing interviews for my firm this OCI; I will be dinging every last one of you Bostonian/square-toed/rubber-soled motherfuckers. A brand new Park Avenue will run you $200 and last for decades. The idea that you just can't fathom spending $200 for one because you're a bro or whatever doesn't bode well for your chances.


Great use of the anon function.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby top30man » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:47 pm

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing interviews for my firm this OCI; I will be dinging every last one of you Bostonian/square-toed/rubber-soled motherfuckers. A brand new Park Avenue will run you $200 and last for decades. The idea that you just can't fathom spending $200 for one because you're a bro or whatever doesn't bode well for your chances.


Great use of the anon function.

Ran here to post this.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:07 pm

Hannibal wrote:
Lysis wrote:This thread causes me more anxiety than any other. I just realized that I purchased "sh*tty Bostonians" with rubber soles. I'm going in with the mentality that any firm with an associate anal enough to notice and ding me because I have the wrong black captoe shoes on probably wouldn't be a fun place to work to begin with.

I understand the risk-minimizing mentality of those of you who are laying out the safest possible wardrobe, but I think there's a point at which it's going overboard. Time spent hunting for the perfect used AEs on ebay would probably be better spent researching firms...


Pretty much agree with this. This kind of self-torture risk minimization will defeat you way more than help you.

I agree too. Don't stress if your shoes aren't $300 AEs. As long as they look respectable and aren't lulzy (like tassle loafers or something with a suit), you will be fine.

newbienew wrote:Not sure if the last post is directed at me, but all I've done is ask questions to try to figure out what's acceptable. Are the shoes I posted above really "clown shoes"? Some people act like all this information is obvious, and that anyone who doesn't immediately know what to wear is deliberately trying to go against the norm. I've never owned a pair of dress shoes in my life. Right now, I have one pair of sneakers and one pair of my dad'
s old tassel loafers that I've worn to work every day this summer. That's it. Until yesterday, I had no idea what a cap toe was, what a rubber vs. leather sole would look like, etc.

You can fairly accuse me of preparing at the last-minute (it's too late for me to be ordering off ebay now), but all that sh*tboomer stuff seems totally misplaced and unfair.

More to the point: does anyone have the minority opinion that the shoes I posted above (http://www.shoeshow.com/Freeman-Cornell ... olor=Black) are acceptable? If not, can anyone recommend stores where I could find acceptable shoes ASAP?

However, a big caveat to what I just said above is that bad shoes can ruin an otherwise great look faster than anything else. "Wear something respectable with laces" does not mean "Wear whatever the hell you want as long as they have laces." For example, the shoes that newbienew just posted are, quite frankly, hideous.

A lot of guys will look great from head to ankles, but skimp badly on the shoes. This is a huge mistake; why take the time to have the rest of you look good if your shoes undo the rest? This isn't to say you have to spend a bunch on AEs or Ferragamos or something (though you should, they are fantastic and will last a lot longer), but you should treat your shoes as an essential part of the wardrobe. I was at a funeral not long ago and saw so many guys wearing nice fitting suits and nice ties, yet they were wearing $40 shoes that I would be ashamed to wear to a waiting job. Don't be that guy. I'll admit that it is unlikely that this would be noticed at OCI, but if you're walking around in those things at a CB or something, you'll look really sloppy.

wuduhel
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wuduhel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Chicks look at shoes. Wear nice shoes to happy hour and score.

User avatar
BunkMoreland
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby BunkMoreland » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:54 pm

top30man wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing interviews for my firm this OCI; I will be dinging every last one of you Bostonian/square-toed/rubber-soled motherfuckers. A brand new Park Avenue will run you $200 and last for decades. The idea that you just can't fathom spending $200 for one because you're a bro or whatever doesn't bode well for your chances.


Great use of the anon function.

Ran here to post this.


the fuck is wrong with you idiots? I'm small market, doing this shit semi-outs me. JFC

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11720
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:04 am

Is anyone else all of a sudden getting 4-5 emails a week from Brooks Brothers?

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby apparentlynew » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:13 am

Ditto on BB emails.

What's a good store in DC that sells suit separates? I cannot divine the answer from yelp; I know BB doesn't. Does Nordstrom? I have a big ass so my pant and jacket sizes are always at odds and I won't wear pleats, thus separates are a must. My OCI starts 8/15 so I don't think I have time to get pants tailored.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:33 am

apparentlynew wrote:Ditto on BB emails.

What's a good store in DC that sells suit separates? I cannot divine the answer from yelp; I know BB doesn't. Does Nordstrom? I have a big ass so my pant and jacket sizes are always at odds and I won't wear pleats, thus separates are a must. My OCI starts 8/15 so I don't think I have time to get pants tailored.

well, i wouldn't call it a good store by any stretch of the imagination, but JAB does sell their "traveler" suit in separates. you're still gonna need some tailoring though, bro, to get the pants hemmed at least. also you have over a week until OCI, that's plenty of time to get alterations.

apparentlynew
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:56 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby apparentlynew » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:38 am

I know that theoretically tailoring can be done quickly, but at BB in Dupont they told me it could take 3 weeks, so I am a little leery.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby fatduck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 am

apparentlynew wrote:I know that theoretically tailoring can be done quickly, but at BB in Dupont they told me it could take 3 weeks, so I am a little leery.

well, that's just crazy, but sometimes in-store tailors have a huge backlog of alterations. yelp up some independent tailors and see how quickly they can do a suit. you should be able to get it in a couple days.

User avatar
PennBull
Posts: 15373
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby PennBull » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:41 am

fatduck wrote:
apparentlynew wrote:I know that theoretically tailoring can be done quickly, but at BB in Dupont they told me it could take 3 weeks, so I am a little leery.

well, that's just crazy, but sometimes in-store tailors have a huge backlog of alterations. yelp up some independent tailors and see how quickly they can do a suit. you should be able to get it in a couple days.


The highest rated one in DC, Geoffrey Lewis, is closed for the week. Just FYI




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.