OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:47 pm

if oxblood shoes were called "reddish-brown" shoes would people still like them?

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48 pm

fatduck wrote:if oxblood shoes were called "reddish-brown" shoes would people still like them?

duck guy...

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 pm

fatduck wrote:if oxblood shoes were called "reddish-brown" shoes would people still like them?

Perfect color, perfect name. What's not to love?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:05 am

If I'm sitting at median and bid to 10 places - only one had a requirement of top 50% - the rest were blank... my resume is okay maybe below average and my grades are all over the place, what are the odds I get zero interviews?

I am beginning to freak out. I'm not counting on OCI to get a job but if I don't get any interviews, I'm going to be scared. My friend (not at my law school) told me his OCI is completely random or something, lottery style. Ours isn't, I don't think. Has anyone gotten zero interviews before?

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:42 am

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_101902 - is the pink color shirt probably not conservative enough?

are basic geometric shapes on ties safe?

also, do most people take messenger bags with them to oci into the interviewing room or do they just bring a pad?

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:00 am

TLSNYC wrote:http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_101902 - is the pink color shirt probably not conservative enough?

are basic geometric shapes on ties safe?

also, do most people take messenger bags with them to oci into the interviewing room or do they just bring a pad?

do people still wear pink dress shirts? i thought that was an express mx1 shirt phase

andmealso

Postby andmealso » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:09 am

So far I've gotten by with a tailored solid black BOSS Pasolini (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-black- ... ltback=624). Time for a charcoal and/or navy suit for OCI?

Are these Bostonian Akron Cap Toe Oxfords OK (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bost ... lotId%3D10)?

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:15 am

TLSNYC wrote:also, do most people take messenger bags with them to oci into the interviewing room or do they just bring a pad?

I bring a padfolio. I only need copies of my resume/transcript/writing sample/references. I can't see why anyone would need anything else. If this is all you're bringing, use a padfolio.

andmealso wrote:So far I've gotten by with a tailored solid black BOSS Pasolini (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-black- ... ltback=624). Time for a charcoal and/or navy suit for OCI?

95% of TLSers say you shouldn't wear a solid black suit to OCI.

andmealso wrote:Are these Bostonian Akron Cap Toe Oxfords OK (http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bost ... lotId%3D10)?

I generally stay away from rubber soles. They're cheaper looking and wear out much quicker.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Thoughts on galoshes?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Is off the rack bad? Got a suit, the shoulders are kind of big, but not sure if I should go to a tailor to fix it. OCI is pretty soon also.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is off the rack bad? Got a suit, the shoulders are kind of big, but not sure if I should go to a tailor to fix it. OCI is pretty soon also.

Shoulder alterations are prohibitively expensive; having it done by a competent tailor can cost nearly as much as a low end suit. When buying a OTR suit, the most important thing is making sure that you have a [nearly] perfect fit in the shoulders, because everything else can be adjusted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:24 pm

mrloblaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is off the rack bad? Got a suit, the shoulders are kind of big, but not sure if I should go to a tailor to fix it. OCI is pretty soon also.

Shoulder alterations are prohibitively expensive; having it done by a competent tailor can cost nearly as much as a low end suit. When buying a OTR suit, the most important thing is making sure that you have a [nearly] perfect fit in the shoulders, because everything else can be adjusted.

Yeah I mean it's a little large but as close as I could find.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

Suppressing the waist and taking in the back may help...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:

Not sure what this means.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mrloblaw wrote:Shoulder alterations are prohibitively expensive; having it done by a competent tailor can cost nearly as much as a low end suit. When buying a OTR suit, the most important thing is making sure that you have a [nearly] perfect fit in the shoulders, because everything else can be adjusted.

Not sure what this means.

y so anon bro

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am

andmealso wrote:So far I've gotten by with a tailored solid black BOSS Pasolini (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-black- ... ltback=624). Time for a charcoal and/or navy suit for OCI?

95% of TLSers say you shouldn't wear a solid black suit to OCI.

And the other 5% are wrong

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:05 am

t/f: you sholdn't wear brown shoes until you have an offer?

e.g. OCI --> navy/charcoal with black balmorals

"business casual" call back --> grey/charcoal pants and black balmorals??

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:t/f: you sholdn't wear brown shoes until you have an offer?

e.g. OCI --> navy/charcoal with black balmorals

"business casual" call back --> grey/charcoal pants and black balmorals??

I wore black shoes with my charcoal suit to my interviews/CBs last year and the first two weeks of work. I then switched to brown (this also correlated with when I stopped worrying about being perfectly clean shaven).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Critique - (wearing navy to majority of interviews, but would like to have something similar to the TH in my arsenal)

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... sn_results

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calv ... sn_results

mps102

Postby mps102 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Critique - (wearing navy to majority of interviews, but would like to have something similar to the TH in my arsenal)

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/tomm ... sn_results

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/calv ... sn_results

TH looks great. Is it suitable for interviews?

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:59 pm

Is it TCR to wear one suit to an interview and a different suit to a callback, so they don't think you're poor? I wouldn't want big lawl thinking I am a redneck peasant from East Texas (I am).

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:08 am

Perseus_I wrote:Is it TCR to wear one suit to an interview and a different suit to a callback, so they don't think you're poor? I wouldn't want big lawl thinking I am a redneck peasant from East Texas (I am).

Beyond 100% certain that they would never remember what suit you wore to the screener. C'mon, they interview hundreds upon hundreds of kids, all of whom wear the same boring things. You seriously think they keep tabs? of course not. So don't worry

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Sending cold e-mails to associates...address them as Mr. Last Name, or First Name?

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:13 pm

PennBull wrote:Sending cold e-mails to associates...address them as Mr. Last Name, or First Name?

Not really clothing related, but I've been addressing as Mr/Ms in the initial email. 99% of the responses are signed First Name. Further correspondence is then by first name.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:15 pm

wuduhel wrote:
PennBull wrote:Sending cold e-mails to associates...address them as Mr. Last Name, or First Name?

Not really clothing related, but I've been addressing as Mr/Ms in the initial email. 99% of the responses are signed First Name. Further correspondence is then by first name.

Ah, I was thinking this was ALL THINGS OCI thread, and most of the stuff people were saying happened to be clothing related.

That said, can anyone cosign or refute this answer?

Return to “Legal Employment”