OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sdlaw

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby sdlaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 pm

What do you guys think of Barney's New York Outlets? Saw a couple suits there the other day for around 500 marked down from 1000+. I'm very slim so I'm looking for a more modern slim cut as I'm swimming in traditional cuts.

texaslawyer

Postby texaslawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:37 pm

I wouldn't be caught at a dogfight or a trash burn in an ugly ass seer sucker ssuit ! They look like shit IMHO !

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:01 am

sdlaw wrote:What do you guys think of Barney's New York Outlets? Saw a couple suits there the other day for around 500 marked down from 1000+. I'm very slim so I'm looking for a more modern slim cut as I'm swimming in traditional cuts.

Are they Barney's suits? Or what label?

Barney's carries high-quality stuff, usually.

sdlaw

Postby sdlaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:18 am

kalvano wrote:
sdlaw wrote:What do you guys think of Barney's New York Outlets? Saw a couple suits there the other day for around 500 marked down from 1000+. I'm very slim so I'm looking for a more modern slim cut as I'm swimming in traditional cuts.

Are they Barney's suits? Or what label?

Barney's carries high-quality stuff, usually.

Some where Barney's, some were Hugo. From what I've read online, most of the suits are specifically made for the outlets and the suggested retail prices of 1000 are bs to an extent. However they are supposedly pretty good quality and would generally be around 7 or 8 hundred in an actual store. Apparently you can find some stuff from the actual Barney's store but you need to ask and keep checking back. Let me know if anyone else has any other info on them.

Thanks

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:13 am

jrs12 wrote:
Cactus wrote:3/2 roll sack suit

J. Press,
Brooks, or
O'Connell's

Actually, this is really good advice. It's a misconception that sack suits are not for slim guys. As long as you get one that fits, and it's properly tailored, they look fantastic.

For those who don't know, a sack suit has natural shoulders (very little to no padding), flat front pants, and no darts (means the jacket doesn't taper like an hourglass). They are generally 3-button, but the lapel rolls over the top button, so the stance is something like a lot of contemporary 2-button jackets (much higher than 2-button jackets were in the 80s, for example).

If you're skinny, unpadded shoulders and flat front pants are the way to go (seems counter-intuitive, but trust me). Also, the fact that these suits don't have a lot of waist suppression makes them look more professional than a lot of fashion brands.

J. Press is probably the way to go. Brooks doesn't carry many sack suits in the stores anymore, though they'll still do them made to order or made to measure. J. Press is a good value, for a well-made product that will last a long time and won't go out of style.

Thank you for expounding on my suggestion. Glad to see someone else out there who has a little appreciation for American trad style. Two things for everyone saying that you want a "more fashionable, modern slim-fitting suit": 1) style is permanent, fashion is temporary & 2) you don't want to go to work looking like Ryan Seacrest.

mwazaumoja

Postby mwazaumoja » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:25 am

kalvano wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:Huh? Explain pls.

A lot of the attorneys I know don't wear suits to work every day. Slacks and a dress shirt, mostly, and about 50/50 on the tie.

They only wear suits if they are going to court or meeting with clients.

What types of firms are these? Except for a very casual firm I know of, just about every attorney I know (even small town attorneys) wears a suit almost every day...

Local firms. Not Biglaw for the most part. The Biglaw people I know wear suits.

I interviewed at a major DC firm, and none of the men I spoke with were wearing suits. They also generally weren't wearing ties. They said formalwear was really only appropriate when you were going to Court, or on the Hill.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:28 am

Renzo wrote:
jrs12 wrote:
If you have 2, you're in good shape for interviews, unless you want to upgrade the quality. Also, don't assume you'll need 10 suits when you start work. Unless you're in a midwestern city, there's a high likelihood that you won't be wearing suits that often.

Huh? Of all of the places I have spent time, I have found that atlantic seaboard (particularly NYC) is far the most formal, and as you move west and south things generally become less formal. A Polo shirt and chinos is evening wear in SoCal, and is pajamas in NYC.

+1. A lot of the firms in the MW that I've looked at (albeit, not many) are more business casual.

jrs12

Postby jrs12 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:13 pm

Biglaw in NYC is mostly business casual. LA is more casual than NYC. Midwestern cities (St. Louis, Minneapolis, etc.) are the most formal. Suits are the norm there, rather than something just for court or big meetings.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:10 pm

jrs12 wrote:Biglaw in NYC is mostly business casual. LA is more casual than NYC. Midwestern cities (St. Louis, Minneapolis, etc.) are the most formal. Suits are the norm there, rather than something just for court or big meetings.

I can't speak to the midwest part of this statement, but as for NYC this has not been my experience. I'd say of all the NYC biglaw offices I've been in, it's probably a 65/35 split in favor of business attire, and the midsize firms tend to be more formal.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:21 pm

I've never really wore suits. Do you have to launder them every time you wear them?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:27 pm

shepdawg wrote:I've never really wore suits. Do you have to launder them every time you wear them?

Definitely not. Dry cleaning ruins the material of suits, so they should only be cleaned when they need it.

honestabe84

Postby honestabe84 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:15 pm

Renzo wrote:
shepdawg wrote:I've never really wore suits. Do you have to launder them every time you wear them?

Definitely not. Dry cleaning ruins the material of suits, so they should only be cleaned when they need it.

I heard steam press is the way to go.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:31 pm

No, you'll ruin them. I dry clean mine every 2-4 wears, depending on how hot it has been. Other than that, I picked up a steamer at Best Buy for $40. It's fantastic and keeps them looking good and unwrinkled.

A nice suit will last a lot longer than a cheap suit. My dad pays around $750 - $1200 for his suits, but most of them last 15-20 years.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 pm

any opinions on the home Dryel kits? I've run my suit through the dryer with one once or twice in a pinch then got the wrinkles out while hanging it next to the shower.

i have a fairly reliable local cleaner but its beginning to look more economical to buy 1-2 more suits rather than pay $10 every 2-3 times I wear this one.

Esc

Postby Esc » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:04 pm

kalvano wrote:

No, you'll ruin them. I dry clean mine every 2-4 wears, depending on how hot it has been. Other than that, I picked up a steamer at Best Buy for $40. It's fantastic and keeps them looking good and unwrinkled.

A nice suit will last a lot longer than a cheap suit. My dad pays around $750 - $1200 for his suits, but most of them last 15-20 years.

steamer? is that the same thing as an iron?

Cactus

Postby Cactus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:01 pm

Esc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

No, I'm assuming he's speaking of steaming devices similar to this:

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:51 am

Esc wrote:
kalvano wrote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HoMedics+-+ ... &cp=1&lp=5

This. It was on sale when I bought it.

It's much easier to use than an iron, and works much better.

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 am

I'm sure it's been said before but i'll reiterate. For those of you on a budget a cheap suit may not last as long as an expensive version but if you get a good tailor it won't look cheap. Fit. Is. Everything.

jrs12

Postby jrs12 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:40 pm

Steam will also kill bacteria (the source of bad odors).

You can also just hang the suit up in your bathroom when you take a hot shower. Leave the door closed and the fan off. It really does take out a lot of the wrinkles and keep the suit looking fresh.

If you wear cotton suits in the summer, you will probably need to have those dry cleaned more often because cotton absorbs moisture, so it can get dirty more easily than wool.

Royal

Postby Royal » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:22 am

Sorry to bump an old thread, but what is the general consensus on medium/lighter gray suits for summer associates/junior associates?

Something in this color range:

--ImageRemoved--

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:46 am

Royal, own it. I have always viewed that as an "all around" solid bet for non-winter use. leans spring/summer but "timeless" at least in my life time....

fit is the essential element.

link for NYC peeps in need of alterations or otherwise. decent forum to learn a few things at....all kinds of ties into the "areas" many a lawyer lack in...

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.ph ... 10&t=11723

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:38 am

Just wanted to pass something along since it's a mistake that I made (well, could have made)

My summer position, like probably a lot of you, is "business casual." For most of my life, and in my previous work experience, business casual was a nice, creased pair of Dockers-type khakis with a long-sleeved dress shirt, no tie.

This is wrong. Thankfully I figured this out for myself by watching others and didn't embarrass myself, but business casual, at least where I work, essentially means a suit with no jacket, tie optional. You can also buy "dress slacks", but I don't have any of those. Thankfully I pillaged Jos Bank recently and I have three different colored suits I can rotate now.

Just FYI. If I'm the only one that still thought this, point and laugh as you see fit.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:44 am

wiseowl wrote:Just wanted to pass something along since it's a mistake that I made (well, could have made)

My summer position, like probably a lot of you, is "business casual." For most of my life, and in my previous work experience, business casual was a nice, creased pair of Dockers-type khakis with a long-sleeved dress shirt, no tie.

This is wrong. Thankfully I figured this out for myself by watching others and didn't embarrass myself, but business casual, at least where I work, essentially means a suit with no jacket, tie optional. You can also buy "dress slacks", but I don't have any of those. Thankfully I pillaged Jos Bank recently and I have three different colored suits I can rotate now.

Just FYI. If I'm the only one that still thought this, point and laugh as you see fit.

You're not the only one; I was the same way, thinking that khakis counted as business casual.

This article (LinkRemoved) helps explain business casual in a way that makes sense to me.

Business casual takes a top-down approach. You start with business formal, and then strip away the jacket. And then maybe the tie. It’s not just nice clothes; it’s half of a suit. The heart and soul of the business-casual look is that you can add to it and create business formal. Business casual means if you’re suddenly asked to meet with a client or accompany a partner to court, you may need to “get dressed” by putting on a jacket and tie, but you won’t need to change clothes.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Those $225 pair of slacks you see in nice stores? Those are for "business casual".

Royal - gray is a very nice business suit color.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:35 pm

go to styleforum.net and post a thread. it's a forum all about clothes. really good resource, trust me.

my suggestion?

no, don't get black. black is too powerful and should usually be reserved for funerals and night time. i'd get a navy or charcoal suit: they're perfect business fabrics and they're extremely versatile.

get 2 buttons. 3 is kinda played out. 3/2 roll is acceptable, but just get a 2 button suit. don't button the bottom button. button.

no pleats please! they look bad. flat front pants are best.

for a cheap suit that fits slim (which is what you want) go to H&M, jcrew, topman, calvin klein, armani exchange, perry ellis, hugo boss.

Return to “Legal Employment”