OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wuduhel

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby wuduhel » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:35 am

WODKilla123 wrote:Are dark brown Strand's conservative enough to wear to an NYC v20 callback that expressly states "business casual." Or would it be better to go with dark brown Fifth Aves?

Fifth Aves, even with the punches, aren't that casual. I would rock the Strands.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:17 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:Are dark brown Strand's conservative enough to wear to an NYC v20 callback that expressly states "business casual." Or would it be better to go with dark brown Fifth Aves?

To put things in perspective, both Strands and Fifth Avenues are balmoral (oxford) shoes. Traditionally, balmorals were worn with suits, while all occasions south of that, including odd-trouser and sports jacket attire ("dressy" business casual), called for bluchers (derbies).

Thus, both Strands (in a conservative color like black or dark brown) and FAs fit better with suits than they do with business casual. Strands are closer to business casual attire, as the perforations add informality. If you were actually buying shoes fully for a business casual context, a blucher like the Macneil, Leeds, or Kenilworth would match better, but I don't think Nordstrom has any of those in the upcoming sale.

With all that said, the rules of style have disintegrated to the point that no one is going to notice or give a damn if you wear FAs or Strands with business casual.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:23 pm

fingersxd wrote:I've never before bought used shoes, but I've seen suggestions to do so throughout the thread so now I'm considering it.

What's considered a good price for:

AE Parks: New / Used
AE: 5th Ave: New / Used
AE: Cliftons: New / Used
AE: Strands: New/Used

Shameless bump. Thanks all.

jkay

Postby jkay » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:02 am

You can often get new Strands or PAs for $200ish at the Nordstrom summer sale.

Otherwise, if you positively know your size IN THE DIFFERENT LASTS, you can often get new or worn-once AE's on ebay for around $170 Buy It Now (they are usually retail returns with nothing wrong with them except they are marked so they cannot be returned to AE again).

Finally, I have regularly seen worn-once or twice AEs go for less than $90 on ebay auctions.

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:55 pm

beachbum wrote:So how are we feeling about the current JAB suit sale ($268 for Signature, $388 for SigGold)? Good deal? And is the Signature Gold line really worth $100 more than the Signature line?

I actually bought two suits from them today (probably only needed one for 1L but whatever) the signature line, one navy and one charcoal, and when you buy two you can get them for about 223 each. The official sale is buy one at half list price get the other free.

Also bought two of the wrinkle free traveler shirts for around 44 each. I don't know much about suits tho tbh, just followed Pufers guide for the most part. I'm happy with the purchase though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Revolver066 wrote:
beachbum wrote:So how are we feeling about the current JAB suit sale ($268 for Signature, $388 for SigGold)? Good deal? And is the Signature Gold line really worth $100 more than the Signature line?

I actually bought two suits from them today (probably only needed one for 1L but whatever) the signature line, one navy and one charcoal, and when you buy two you can get them for about 223 each. The official sale is buy one at half list price get the other free.

Also bought two of the wrinkle free traveler shirts for around 44 each. I don't know much about suits tho tbh, just followed Pufers guide for the most part. I'm happy with the purchase though.

Signature Gold on that same deal as well. 450 for the Signature and 650 for the Signature Gold for the pair. Shirts were 3 for 150 at the one I went to, though. They must do regional deals?

Did you go JAB tailor or third-party? Anyone know if it really matters?

sambeber

Postby sambeber » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:19 pm

Rocking these shoes at this point. I've had them for a while, but they're in good shape and recently re-soled. Though I would prefer new Park Avenues, would also prefer not to spend the money at this point while I still have shoes that will work. So, someone tell me if for whatever reason I should bite the bullet. Thanks.

EDIT: found a picture of the actual shoe.
Last edited by sambeber on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:58 pm

sambeber wrote:Rocking shoes very similar to these, in black, at this point. I've had them for a while, but they're in good shape and recently re-soled. Though I would prefer new Park Avenues, would also prefer not to spend the money at this point while I still have shoes that will work. So, someone tell me if for whatever reason I should bite the bullet. Thanks.

[img]

Would PAs be slightly more appropriate? Absolutely. Could I imagine an interviewer dinging you for wearing nice-looking bluchers (if they really are similar to the AEs) with light broguing? No. You don't need a pair of new $300 shoes, in the perfectly ideal style, to interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Everyone knows that you need a zoot suit for BigLaw. Geez.

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm sorry, but nobody needs Park Avenues for OCI.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:25 pm

5ky wrote:I'm sorry, but nobody needs Park Avenues for OCI.

Yeah I agree you don't need PAs. I also don't think there is a meaningful difference between PAs and 5th As for OCI purposes.

Both are damn fine shoes and I'd recommend either one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:49 pm

A firm has recommended that I dress business casual for my upcoming call back interview. Any consensus on how to best approach that? Obviously a tie would probably be too much, but I was thinking of wearing a suit jacket along with the dress shirt and pants to maybe seem a bit more professional. Too much? Thoughts?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A firm has recommended that I dress business casual for my upcoming call back interview. Any consensus on how to best approach that? Obviously a tie would probably be too much, but I was thinking of wearing a suit jacket along with the dress shirt and pants to maybe seem a bit more professional. Too much? Thoughts?

That sounds appropriate. Some will tell you to wear a suit and tie no matter what, but I prefer listening to instructions.

Just make sure you look crisp, your clothes fit you right, and your shoes look good. Business casual can either look really sharp or really sloppy. Obviously you want the former.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A firm has recommended that I dress business casual for my upcoming call back interview. Any consensus on how to best approach that? Obviously a tie would probably be too much, but I was thinking of wearing a suit jacket along with the dress shirt and pants to maybe seem a bit more professional. Too much? Thoughts?

Assuming this is Quinn, I can say from experience that a dress shirt, slacks, and leather shoes are fine. I showed up in slacks and a shirt to my Quinn CB last year and several attorneys said that they were happy I didn't wear a suit (and I got an offer before the CB was done).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Assuming this is Quinn, I can say from experience that a dress shirt, slacks, and leather shoes are fine. I showed up in slacks and a shirt to my Quinn CB last year and several attorneys said that they were happy I didn't wear a suit (and I got an offer before the CB was done).

Wear their flip flops for bonus points.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 am

Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wear their flip flops for bonus points.

Obviously I will be wearing the Quinn flip flops. The question is just whether I should wear a suit jacket along with them to the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:06 pm

going brown balmorals

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:02 pm

Decent sale at Lands end today. Good for tall skinny people like myself

http://www.landsend.com/ix/mens-clothin ... d=19&tab=1

Any shirt staples I should pick up?

mvpforme

Postby mvpforme » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:48 pm

What about a navy, sharkskin suit? Something along these lines:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpply. ... 1339545889

Specifically a Ralph Lauren suit...

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:04 pm

mvpforme wrote:What about a navy, sharkskin suit? Something along these lines:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpply. ... 1339545889

Specifically a Ralph Lauren suit...

...Does it actually have peak lapels?

mvpforme

Postby mvpforme » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Haha no; I'm just using the image for an example of the color.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Anyone know if the AE brown burnished calf Fifth Aves are on sale for the Nordstrom's Anniversary sale? It's going on for card holders now but us gen pop doods have to wait until 7/20 iirc

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Trying to get a suit before OCI. Currently have 1 black "Executive" suit from Jos A Bank. It fits me like a balloon. I'm 5'11, ~155 lbs, and pretty damn skinny. My shoulders are small. The suit makes me look liked a boxy football player. Quality seems fine, but I don't know anything about suits.

Option 1: Go to Jos A Bank again. Right now there is a deal for 3 Signature Gold suits, 2 shirts, and 2 ties for $1295. I'd get a grey, navy, and something else. I'd probably buy them online, then take them to a professional tailor/alterations person so they don't fit me like a balloon.

Option 2: Go to Brooks Brothers and get an 1818 for ~$1k. I wish I could wait for a sale, but OCI is rapidly approaching and I don't think there will be a major one until Christmas. Some suits are on sale right now, but they are all plaid, herringbone, etc and not solids. If I got them here, I think Brooks Brothers could take care of the alterations themselves. I would then get another suit at Christmas time (probably from Brooks Brothers). This would give me 2, which should last me for a while.

Option 3: Something cheaper? I just don't know what. All of the stuff at department stores seems sketchy. There's plenty of stuff on random websites, but few are solid colors and I don't know enough about the different brands to pick anything. This thread has some great info, but it's also a lot of differing opinions. Pufer's post is great, though.

Thoughts?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:29 pm

shock259 wrote:Trying to get a suit before OCI. Currently have 1 black "Executive" suit from Jos A Bank. It fits me like a balloon. I'm 5'11, ~155 lbs, and pretty damn skinny. My shoulders are small. The suit makes me look liked a boxy football player. Quality seems fine, but I don't know anything about suits.

Option 1: Go to Jos A Bank again. Right now there is a deal for 3 Signature Gold suits, 2 shirts, and 2 ties for $1295. I'd get a grey, navy, and something else. I'd probably buy them online, then take them to a professional tailor/alterations person so they don't fit me like a balloon.

Option 2: Go to Brooks Brothers and get an 1818 for ~$1k. I wish I could wait for a sale, but OCI is rapidly approaching and I don't think there will be a major one until Christmas. Some suits are on sale right now, but they are all plaid, herringbone, etc and not solids. If I got them here, I think Brooks Brothers could take care of the alterations themselves. I would then get another suit at Christmas time (probably from Brooks Brothers). This would give me 2, which should last me for a while.

Option 3: Something cheaper? I just don't know what. All of the stuff at department stores seems sketchy. There's plenty of stuff on random websites, but few are solid colors and I don't know enough about the different brands to pick anything. This thread has some great info, but it's also a lot of differing opinions. Pufer's post is great, though.

Thoughts?

There's plenty options in between the two you mention. Hugo Boss make sharp looking slim suits that might work for you. Most of their lines are fused, so they won't last like a full canvassed suit, but you can often pick them up on sale for ~$500.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Totally agree on Hugo Boss. I was ready for a step up from the cheaper suits I have, but wasn't ready to spend 1000 on a BB suit, and I got a great Hugo Boss for about 450 or so and it looks/feels great. Great middleground.

Return to “Legal Employment”