OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pballer

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby pballer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:20 pm

I have a charcoal BB 1818 Fitz and 3 well-fitting, but lower quality, JAB suits (black with thin pinstripe, grey, brown). I'm thinking about buying a 2nd BB (perhaps an 1818 regent) so that I don't have to JAB it for OCI. Thoughts on a good 2nd color for OCI?

Looking at maybe doing this http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=533&Product_Id=1548043&Parent_Id=418&default_color=BLUE&sort_by=ratings&sectioncolor=Blue&sectionsize=

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:34 pm

Nothing wrong with a JAB OCI as long as its well tailored and clean. Honestly, among the suits I wore to OCI were a suit I got from Kohls and a hand me down. Got multiple V10 CBs so trust me, nothing wrong with a JAB that fits well. Sure, a nice BB suit is great if you can afford it, but by no means is it necessary for OCI.

pballer

Postby pballer » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:40 pm

thoughts on a subtle herringbone like this?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... size=#null

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:08 pm

fingersxd wrote:I've never before bought used shoes, but I've seen suggestions to do so throughout the thread so now I'm considering it.

What's considered a good price for:

AE Parks: New / Used
AE: 5th Ave: New / Used
AE: Cliftons: New / Used

Follow up...what's a good price for suits from:

BB 1818, HSM, Jack Victor, Hickey, Boss (pretty much all I've looked at so far).

Also, any other makers you recommend (and that are, at least w/sale available for under $500)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:02 pm

Just want to throw my 2 cents in - thank you to everyone posting here; it helped me a lot. Went to BB today and got an 1818 regent in charcoal. I'm quite slim, but it fits like a glove and looks great. Takes about 15 days to get tailored. One piece of advice - open OR apply for a charge card. Either way, you'll get 15% off. This took $100 extra off my suit, so I got a 1000 dollar suit for $600.

uchi12

Postby uchi12 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:08 am

To follow up with the post about AE shoes being on sale for the Nordstrom July sale, the sale starts the 20th, with specific store hours on their website.

To those wanting to buy, I'd make sure you're on top of this because they're likely going to go fast if that post was true.

616rewind

Postby 616rewind » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 am

black shoes work with navy and charcoal suits?

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:47 am

616rewind wrote:black shoes work with navy and charcoal suits?

Yes.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:42 am

basilseal wrote:

Yes.

brown shoes & brown belt with the same thing?

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:18 am

turbotong wrote:
basilseal wrote:

Yes.

brown shoes & brown belt with the same thing?

Just make sure they're dark. Shoes lighter than the fabrics draw attention to themselves and look clownish. I think dark oxblood/cordovan looks better with gray than plain brown shoes, but either could be a little aggressive in an interview. I'd stick with traditional black shoes myself.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:36 am

Can you wear black socks with grey wool pants during a business casual event? Or do the socks have to be grey? What's the most conservative thing to do here?

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:38 am

drbarry987 wrote:Can you wear black socks with grey wool pants during a business casual event? Or do the socks have to be grey? What's the most conservative thing to do here?

Black socks are perfect, as long as you are wearing black shoes and a black belt.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:44 am

I'd still say gray socks, although it's unlikely they'll be noticed, especially if you're standing. Wearing socks the color of your pants (rather than shoe) creates a consistent vertical impression; this is broken up if you're wearing socks matching the shoe instead.

But really, it's a pretty small point.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:28 pm

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/pr ... -suits.jsp

This is what I rocked for my 1L summer job interview, if you have an outlet near you Banana Republic suits can be scooped up for pretty cheap. I think I paid all of $110 for the whole suit and it fits perfectly and looks better than many 10x its price.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:42 pm

basilseal wrote:I'd still say gray socks, although it's unlikely they'll be noticed, especially if you're standing. Wearing socks the color of your pants (rather than shoe) creates a consistent vertical impression; this is broken up if you're wearing socks matching the shoe instead.

It makes little difference, but in general I aim for similar color to my pants, but not the exact same or maybe a design like dots or stripes to mix it up a bit.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
basilseal wrote:I'd still say gray socks, although it's unlikely they'll be noticed, especially if you're standing. Wearing socks the color of your pants (rather than shoe) creates a consistent vertical impression; this is broken up if you're wearing socks matching the shoe instead.

It makes little difference, but in general I aim for similar color to my pants, but not the exact same or maybe a design like dots or stripes to mix it up a bit.

This is better than what I wrote. Thanks.

fingersxd

Postby fingersxd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 pm

crossarmant wrote:http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=904777&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bananarepublic.com%2Fproducts%2Fmens-suits.jsp

This is what I rocked for my 1L summer job interview, if you have an outlet near you Banana Republic suits can be scooped up for pretty cheap. I think I paid all of $110 for the whole suit and it fits perfectly and looks better than many 10x its price.

I thought that it was pretty well established that Navy and/or Charcoal are the way to go and that Black was out.

Also, I have a BR outlet near me an have never seen any BR suit for $110.

uchi12

Postby uchi12 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:14 pm

BB started their summer clearance today. Saw some Madisons for $550 (lucky for those who have awkward sizes)

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:37 am

fingersxd wrote:
crossarmant wrote:http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=904777&locale=en_US&kwid=1&sem=false&sdReferer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bananarepublic.com%2Fproducts%2Fmens-suits.jsp

I thought that it was pretty well established that Navy and/or Charcoal are the way to go and that Black was out.

Also, I have a BR outlet near me an have never seen any BR suit for $110.

Never heard anything about Navy/Charcoal, but I walked in to ours around February and they were having a great sale. I'm now kind of disappointed I only had the money for one at the time.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:16 pm

So how are we feeling about the current JAB suit sale ($268 for Signature, $388 for SigGold)? Good deal? And is the Signature Gold line really worth $100 more than the Signature line?

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:55 pm

Aite fashion brahs,

So I followed the advice ITT and copped black AE Park Aves for my interview shoes. But I still don't have GO TO business casual shoes (grey slacks/ button down/ navy blazer). During the Nordstrom Anniversary sale later this month should I get:

Brown burnished calf PA

OR

Brown burinshed calf Fifth Ave

tyia brahs. Again, this is not for suiting up but for the conservative end of biz cas.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:11 pm

WODKilla123 wrote:Aite fashion brahs,

So I followed the advice ITT and copped black AE Park Aves for my interview shoes. But I still don't have GO TO business casual shoes (grey slacks/ button down/ navy blazer). During the Nordstrom Anniversary sale later this month should I get:

Brown burnished calf PA

OR

tyia brahs. Again, this is not for suiting up but for the conservative end of biz cas.

IMO PAs are far too stodgy and formal for anything other than black. Dark brown Fifth Avenues are on the formal end of what I'd consider appropriate for business casual. The perforations make them a bit less interview/court appearance-y

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 am

Brown burnished calf PA

OR

If you feel confident enough, a pair of black "gucci" or horsebit loafers might be the way to go. Cole Haan has a nice pair.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 am

Brown burnished calf PA

OR

You want AE Strands

WODKilla123

Postby WODKilla123 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 am

Are dark brown Strand's conservative enough to wear to an NYC v20 callback that expressly states "business casual." Or would it be better to go with dark brown Fifth Aves?

Return to “Legal Employment”