OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Dr. Review

Gold

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by Dr. Review » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:44 pm

bigchris1313 wrote:
Bedsole wrote:1. That's very obviously not a guy.
2. It's not so much that my arms are long, as it is that I am pretty skinny. A 40L fits in the arms, but I'm too skinny to wear it
While every fiber of my being wants to instruct you to start eating like a man and start smashing big weight in the gym--as explained here--I'm going to hold my tongue and instead direct you here. If you are patient, you'll learn everything you'll ever need.
Don't particularly want to live like a gym rat... or get bigger for that matter. Thanks, though.

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 am

kalvano wrote:BigChris, I heartily approve of your avatar. Their IPA is exceptional.

That is all.
+1. The Greatest Beer on God's Green Earth.

arhmcpo

Bronze

Post by arhmcpo » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

groundkontrol wrote:Looking to buy a charcoal colored suit. I want a slim, modern fit. I want to spend between 200-300 dollars. Any recommendations?
Just got 2 Calvin Klein Suits (Charcoal Black, and Charcoal gray) which both fell in this price range at Men's Warehouse FWIW

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm

betasteve wrote:

Black is reserved for evening and mourning.
This is helpful to know. Thanks!

07ggfa5

New

Post by 07ggfa5 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:21 pm

Back from the dead...

Do you suit experts think that this striped navy suit will be too much for interviews? --> http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_254821 I already have a solid navy and charcoal grey suit so I have backups.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 174 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:35 pm

07ggfa5 wrote:Back from the dead...

Do you suit experts think that this striped navy suit will be too much for interviews? --> http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_254821 I already have a solid navy and charcoal grey suit so I have backups.
I would not pay 400 dollars for a Jos A. Bank suit.

07ggfa5

New

Post by 07ggfa5 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:53 pm

174 wrote:

I would not pay 400 dollars for a Jos A. Bank suit.
Getting it for around $230 after some haggling.

Cactus

Bronze

Post by Cactus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 pm

3/2 roll sack suit

J. Press,
Brooks, or
O'Connell's

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:36 am

Cactus wrote:3/2 roll sack suit

J. Press,
Brooks, or
O'Connell's
Actually, this is really good advice. It's a misconception that sack suits are not for slim guys. As long as you get one that fits, and it's properly tailored, they look fantastic.

For those who don't know, a sack suit has natural shoulders (very little to no padding), flat front pants, and no darts (means the jacket doesn't taper like an hourglass). They are generally 3-button, but the lapel rolls over the top button, so the stance is something like a lot of contemporary 2-button jackets (much higher than 2-button jackets were in the 80s, for example).

If you're skinny, unpadded shoulders and flat front pants are the way to go (seems counter-intuitive, but trust me). Also, the fact that these suits don't have a lot of waist suppression makes them look more professional than a lot of fashion brands.

J. Press is probably the way to go. Brooks doesn't carry many sack suits in the stores anymore, though they'll still do them made to order or made to measure. J. Press is a good value, for a well-made product that will last a long time and won't go out of style.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrs12

New

Post by jrs12 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:40 am

I think this is too much. If you go to department stores these days, you'll see that almost every suit has some kind of pattern (hides stains), but many of them appear to be solid if you're standing 8 feet away. These kinds of stripes are fine. Widely spaced, bold pinstripes are to be avoided. If you're getting stripes, look for them to be fainter and narrower.

If you have 2, you're in good shape for interviews, unless you want to upgrade the quality. Also, don't assume you'll need 10 suits when you start work. Unless you're in a midwestern city, there's a high likelihood that you won't be wearing suits that often.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:10 am

jrs12 wrote:

I think this is too much. If you go to department stores these days, you'll see that almost every suit has some kind of pattern (hides stains), but many of them appear to be solid if you're standing 8 feet away. These kinds of stripes are fine. Widely spaced, bold pinstripes are to be avoided. If you're getting stripes, look for them to be fainter and narrower.

If you have 2, you're in good shape for interviews, unless you want to upgrade the quality. Also, don't assume you'll need 10 suits when you start work. Unless you're in a midwestern city, there's a high likelihood that you won't be wearing suits that often.
Huh? Explain pls.

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 am

If you a have a basic, conservative, two or three button blue suit, that will be fine for interviews. However, I'd say depending on the firm and the city, you WILL need many suits. For example, if you go with a mid to large firm in a major urban area, suits are a must. I just believe that attorneys need to dree appropriately and project a prosperous, confident image. It is about image and perception, contray to popular belief.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:46 am

starstruck393 wrote:Huh? Explain pls.

A lot of the attorneys I know don't wear suits to work every day. Slacks and a dress shirt, mostly, and about 50/50 on the tie.

They only wear suits if they are going to court or meeting with clients.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am

kalvano wrote:

A lot of the attorneys I know don't wear suits to work every day. Slacks and a dress shirt, mostly, and about 50/50 on the tie.

What types of firms are these? Except for a very casual firm I know of, just about every attorney I know (even small town attorneys) wears a suit almost every day...

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:41 am

starstruck393 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

What types of firms are these? Except for a very casual firm I know of, just about every attorney I know (even small town attorneys) wears a suit almost every day...
I found this really interesting

http://looklikealawyer.wordpress.com/

stalls

New

Post by stalls » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 am

jackrabbitjones wrote:You're going to like the way you look. I guarantee it.

--ImageRemoved--

BAHAHAHAHA! i signed in just to speak to this awesomeness

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:13 pm

i bought a $450 BCBG suit at dillards for $300 last week... black jacket and black dress pants.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:19 pm

SUCH A DEAL!!!! :D That's great !!! I just can't shop at The Men's Wearhouse, I got burned by them years ago. IMHO they can't guarantee shit !

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:22 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Local firms. Not Biglaw for the most part. The Biglaw people I know wear suits.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:24 pm

jrs12 wrote:
Huh? Of all of the places I have spent time, I have found that atlantic seaboard (particularly NYC) is far the most formal, and as you move west and south things generally become less formal. A Polo shirt and chinos is evening wear in SoCal, and is pajamas in NYC.

bigchris1313

New

Post by bigchris1313 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:01 pm

Renzo wrote:Of all of the places I have spent time, I have found that atlantic seaboard (particularly NYC) is far the most formal, and as you move west and south things generally become less formal. A Polo shirt and chinos is evening wear in SoCal, and is pajamas in NYC.
+ Awesome

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ram jam

Bronze

Post by ram jam » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:12 pm

In the south a searsucker suit is not only appropriate but required to make pastner. That and a thirst for makers mark that takes over at 3:00 pm on friday afternoons...

texaslawyer

Bronze

Post by texaslawyer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:38 pm

ramjam,

Seer sucker suits in the South to make partner and a thirst for Maker's Mark ? Maybe in the rural South, but in Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, etc, or any major city one WOULD NOT be taken seriously if they wore a seer sucker suit. Ben Matlock and Atticus Finch were only real on TV and in the movies. A taste for Maker's Mark .....Well............in some circles that would be appropriate.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 pm

texaslawyer wrote:ramjam,

Seer sucker suits in the South to make partner and a thirst for Maker's Mark ? Maybe in the rural South, but in Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Nashville, etc, or any major city one WOULD NOT be taken seriously if they wore a seer sucker suit. Ben Matlock and Atticus Finch were only real on TV and in the movies. A taste for Maker's Mark .....Well............in some circles that would be appropriate.
I think some level of sarcasm was missed.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 pm

nontradintexas wrote:
texaslawyer wrote:ramjam,

I think some level of sarcasm was missed.
Not to mention that seersuckers were perfectly acceptable professional summer attire until not that long ago - Atticus Finch didn't just wear a seersucker because he was fictional; he wore it because they didn't have widespread central AC back then...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”