OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:One of the other summers busted out his spring/summer colors today. I feel like he's challenging me. Challenge accepted.


Go full seersucker suit to put him in his place 8)

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 3:09 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
theavrock wrote:I noticed these are all dotted. You no like stripes?


Stripes are less conservative


Yeah I wear stripes, but to interviews I wear dots or tooth. You can easily get away with stripes, but I like to recommend stuff that I feel is absolutely bulletproof.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu May 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:One of the other summers busted out his spring/summer colors today. I feel like he's challenging me. Challenge accepted.


Go full seersucker suit to put him in his place 8)

This is actually the first thing I thought of when I saw him. I debating when I could pull something like this. I'm 80% sure it will happen.

User avatar
Mitch McDeere
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:57 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Mitch McDeere » Thu May 24, 2012 7:29 pm

Is it safe to assume our SA ties don't have to be quite as conservative as our interview ties? In other words, can we stray from the reds/blues into the yellows/purples? How about some variety in the patterns? My firm is business attire during the week, for whatever that's worth.

I realize I could just wait until I start next week to see what others are wearing, but I'd like to go shopping tomorrow. Also, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere else, but the search function wasn't turning up much.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Mitch McDeere wrote:Is it safe to assume our SA ties don't have to be quite as conservative as our interview ties? In other words, can we stray from the reds/blues into the yellows/purples? How about some variety in the patterns? My firm is business attire during the week, for whatever that's worth.

I realize I could just wait until I start next week to see what others are wearing, but I'd like to go shopping tomorrow. Also, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere else, but the search function wasn't turning up much.


I would still dress conservatively this summer, but I think the definition of SA conservative is far less restrictive than the definition of OCI conservative. If your firm's dress code is business formal, I would start off with OCI type attire and transition to less conservative attire. I think yellow and purple ties can be okay depending on the pattern. Stripes are fine as well. But I would stick to 3.5 inch ties and I wouldn't try to do too much at once.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 24, 2012 11:16 pm

Bronte wrote:Right now, Brooks Brothers has its standard shirts on sale for three for $200. If you go this route, you'll have a number of choices to make when buying the shirt: the size, the collar, the fit, and the finish. Size is just a matter of having the salesman measure your neck and arms and then trying on a shirt to make sure.

The collar can either be button down or open. You want open for use with a tie at OCI. Open collars can have various "spreads." Most Brooks Brothers shirts have a medium spread, but here's some reading on that issue in case you're presented with the choice: http://www.tomjames.com/virtual/collars.asp. The finish is the decision between regular and noniron (a.k.a. wrinkle free). Noniron is more convenient and regular wears a little better. Also, Brooks Brothers seems to be kind of going all in on the noniron so there seems to be more variety there.

The fit is the decision between traditional, regular, slim, and extra slim. Cross traditional and extra slim off the list: they will fit almost no one. Whether you get regular or slim fit, you're going to want to take the shirts to an offsite tailor afterwords. Just try them both on, buy the one that fits you better, then take them to the tailor.

To get the shirt tailored, see above. What you want done is to have the "sides brought in" on a shirt. This usually costs $20-25 a shirt.

Sorry I'm late here, been super busy with work.

I just wanted to say that this isn't a "sale" from BB, this is pretty much their standard shirt deal. No reason to spend 3 for $200 right now with the semi-annual right around the corner. FTH, I'd try to get three non-iron shirts at the semi-annual if I were you. If all you have is a charcoal suit, I'd get two white shirts and a light blue one. If you have a navy suit too, I'd get one white, one light blue, and one cream (I think a whiteish/cream is great with navy). Agree with bronte on the collar... get a non-button down with a very standard spread.

I'd disagree that extra slim fits no one. I am a fairly large guy (6 ft, ~215 lbs) and I own an extra slim fit that is small, but workable. I'd say generally go with slim fit though for a couple of reasons: 1) they'll likely fit you better, and 2) the extra slim inventory at BB stores is usually pretty sparse. But if you are pretty skinny, slim fit will not work. You'll want to get extra slim if you're shopping at BB. At Brooks Brothers, slim fit is like a traditional, extra slim is like a slim, and traditional is a parachute.

Also, I would definitely avoid buying shirts with the intent to have the sides brought in. This is a last resort kind of thing. No way should you spend $50+ on a shirt to then spend another $20 on tailoring. I had like 8 shirts altered back in April for my summer job, but that's because I lost 10-15 pounds and I was swimming in the shirts. I think you'll have no problem finding shirts that fit you.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 24, 2012 11:21 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Would these be appropriate with a navy suit/slacks during a SA?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1

I personally wouldn't wear the Sanford or Strand for an SA, but if you've got big cajones and style, go for it.

The fact that you're asking though makes it a bit questionable. They're beautiful, sexy shoes... just flashy.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby beachbum » Thu May 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Anyone have more details on BB's upcoming sale? When is it, and how do sale prices compare to current prices?

FWIW, I'm running on only 4 shirts for an internship that requires business attire. Figured I would stock up soon, but I can wait a little while if it means saving money.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 24, 2012 11:37 pm

drbarry987 wrote:1L coming into a T6 in the fall. So if you have the $$$ and don't own any good dress shoes it sounds like it's credited to buy (all on sale at Nordstrom's semi annual sale):

-AE Park Ave (Black) - for OCI and other interviews or anytime with a suit
-AE Fifth Ave (Black) - for biz casual SA or firm events
-AE Fifth Ave (Brown Burnished Calf) - for biz casual SA or firm events

Is this sufficient for getting through all of law school? Obv this is not necessary and may be overkill to some, but I have the $, want to pull the trigger, and just want to confirm this is TLS style forum approved... ty. guys!

Major overkill. Not because you are spending too much money, but because you're getting much of the same. The Fifth Ave is only a small step down in formality from the Park Avenue. You can easily wear the Fifth Avenues to OCI or any other suit situation. Getting black Parks and black Fifths is a little silly IMO because you're buying almost the same shoe. Instead, might I suggest:

-Black AE Park Ave (Suit Shoe)
-Dark Brown AE Fifth Ave (Suit shoe and business casual- the versatility is nice)
-Something more casual in brown (e.g., loafers, suede, monk straps, maybe a walnut oxford, etc.)

You are looking at awesome shoes so I don't want to talk you out of them, but all three of these shoes are pretty damn formal and all of them could go with a suit. No need to spend $500-$1000 to get all three. Try to throw in some more variety.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 24, 2012 11:39 pm

beachbum wrote:Anyone have more details on BB's upcoming sale? When is it, and how do sale prices compare to current prices?

FWIW, I'm running on only 4 shirts for an internship that requires business attire. Figured I would stock up soon, but I can wait a little while if it means saving money.

Starts right after Father's Day usually. Generally discounts are anywhere from 25-50% IIRC, depending on the item. I usually load up on gift cards, and the BB store at the Galleria knows me well enough that they'll generally let me stack my corporate discount and/or other coupons. Being a regular = WINNING

I'd wait til the sale unless you really need some shirts. That's my plan anyways.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273257
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 11:40 pm

I don't know how it is at everybody else's SA firm, but it doesn't really seem like people at my firm give a fuck about some of the minute details that people in this thread wring their hands over.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby fatduck » Thu May 24, 2012 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know how it is at everybody else's SA firm, but it doesn't really seem like people at my firm give a fuck about some of the minute details that people in this thread wring their hands over.

but they would totally give a fuck if they found out your tls username, amirite

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 24, 2012 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know how it is at everybody else's SA firm, but it doesn't really seem like people at my firm give a fuck about some of the minute details that people in this thread wring their hands over.

Yeah, no one at my firm really cares either. Real chill, real laid back, and no one really dresses up much. Lots of jeans and polos and stuff like that. No one would bat an eye if I were wearing ugly rubber soled shoes or my belt didn't match or something. Some of us just enjoy looking sharp though. I don't think this is so much a "Don't wear this to your SA because you'll get no-offered" kind of thing, it's more of a "This is what looks the best, so do this if you want to look your best" kind of thing.

Also, this thread is mostly geared towards OCI, and there are actually people who can be judgey about that kind of shit, so one should buy smart if they're gonna buy stuff before interviews. As has been said like 100 times ITT, it prob won't make a difference, but it can, so following a few basic tips (wear conservative charcoal/navy suits, make sure your shit fits, sport basic ties and shirts, etc.) is a good idea.

Why so anon?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 11:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:Sorry I'm late here, been super busy with work.

I just wanted to say that this isn't a "sale" from BB, this is pretty much their standard shirt deal. No reason to spend 3 for $200 right now with the semi-annual right around the corner. FTH, I'd try to get three non-iron shirts at the semi-annual if I were you. If all you have is a charcoal suit, I'd get two white shirts and a light blue one. If you have a navy suit too, I'd get one white, one light blue, and one cream (I think a whiteish/cream is great with navy). Agree with bronte on the collar... get a non-button down with a very standard spread.

I'd disagree that extra slim fits no one. I am a fairly large guy (6 ft, ~215 lbs) and I own an extra slim fit that is small, but workable. I'd say generally go with slim fit though for a couple of reasons: 1) they'll likely fit you better, and 2) the extra slim inventory at BB stores is usually pretty sparse. But if you are pretty skinny, slim fit will not work. You'll want to get extra slim if you're shopping at BB. At Brooks Brothers, slim fit is like a traditional, extra slim is like a slim, and traditional is a parachute.

Also, I would definitely avoid buying shirts with the intent to have the sides brought in. This is a last resort kind of thing. No way should you spend $50+ on a shirt to then spend another $20 on tailoring. I had like 8 shirts altered back in April for my summer job, but that's because I lost 10-15 pounds and I was swimming in the shirts. I think you'll have no problem finding shirts that fit you.


I agree the shirts aren't really on "sale." I should have been more clear. Although, in my defense, I did say later that shirts would go on sale for substantially cheaper later in the summer.

As to finding a shirt off the rack that fits, I suppose I disagree. Obviously there are people that each of the four Brooks Brothers sizes fit quite well. If you're one of those people, you're a lucky guy. Of course, you could also be one of the many, many people for whom an off the rack shirt of one cut or another is passable, but in reality looks like shit because it "blouses" over the sides of your pants and makes you look like Stabler from Law & Order SVU in the mid-90s.

I get my off the rack shirts tailored, which is course of action that has been frequently recommended in this behemoth thread. Of course, it's expensive and a pain in the ass. The ideal way to buy dress clothes is to have them made for you, but this is a cheaper option that gets close to that result.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 11:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't know how it is at everybody else's SA firm, but it doesn't really seem like people at my firm give a fuck about some of the minute details that people in this thread wring their hands over.

Yeah, no one at my firm really cares either. Real chill, real laid back, and no one really dresses up much. Lots of jeans and polos and stuff like that. No one would bat an eye if I were wearing ugly rubber soled shoes or my belt didn't match or something. Some of us just enjoy looking sharp though. I don't think this is so much a "Don't wear this to your SA because you'll get no-offered" kind of thing, it's more of a "This is what looks the best, so do this if you want to look your best" kind of thing.

Also, this thread is mostly geared towards OCI, and there are actually people who can be judgey about that kind of shit, so one should buy smart if they're gonna buy stuff before interviews. As has been said like 100 times ITT, it prob won't make a difference, but it can, so following a few basic tips (wear conservative charcoal/navy suits, make sure your shit fits, sport basic ties and shirts, etc.) is a good idea.

Why so anon?


+1. Obviously few give a crap about this stuff. These are just best practices.

chickenalfredo
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby chickenalfredo » Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 pm

Do SA's need a bag to bring to the office? If so, any recommendations?

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby TTRansfer » Sun May 27, 2012 7:13 pm

chickenalfredo wrote:Do SA's need a bag to bring to the office? If so, any recommendations?


I bought a nice Fossil bag at their outlet store. I use my bag all the time, actually.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby TTRansfer » Sun May 27, 2012 7:19 pm

I finally ordered a pair of black Park Aves. I've been meaning to for ages, so it'll be great to finally get them.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby traehekat » Sun May 27, 2012 7:41 pm

TTRansfer wrote:I finally ordered a pair of black Park Aves. I've been meaning to for ages, so it'll be great to finally get them.


a wise investment, sir. just polished mine up today, dey be lookin good.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby mrloblaw » Sun May 27, 2012 8:09 pm

For SA purposes (I'd really stick with the black Park Avenues, if you have them, for OCI), I picked up a pair of AE Kenilworths in dark brown. I think they're a nice medium between the absolute least formal I'd wear with a suit for business formal occasions, and the absolute most formal I'd wear with khakis, nice jeans, etc. for business casual (Hello, casual Fridays!). I'm loving them for pretty much everything.

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon May 28, 2012 2:01 am

What's the TLS collective wisdom on Blank Label and the like?

If anyone has used these sites with success, what did you do to ensure accurate sizing?

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 29, 2012 12:22 am

Tangerine Gleam wrote:What's the TLS collective wisdom on Blank Label and the like?

If anyone has used these sites with success, what did you do to ensure accurate sizing?


I just ordered a BL shirt with sizes I got from a tailor earlier this month.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby TTRansfer » Tue May 29, 2012 12:23 am

traehekat wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:I finally ordered a pair of black Park Aves. I've been meaning to for ages, so it'll be great to finally get them.


a wise investment, sir. just polished mine up today, dey be lookin good.


I need one more paid of AEs and I'll be happy. What should I get? I have black Park Aves and dark brown Strands.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 am

TTRansfer wrote:
traehekat wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:I finally ordered a pair of black Park Aves. I've been meaning to for ages, so it'll be great to finally get them.


a wise investment, sir. just polished mine up today, dey be lookin good.


I need one more paid of AEs and I'll be happy. What should I get? I have black Park Aves and dark brown Strands.


The Delray? http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby jkay » Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am

Definitely a blucher/derby with open lacing. Delray could be OK if you want a split toe. I would consider something like a walnut Sanford or perhaps a burgundy Macneil.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.