OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 am

romothesavior wrote:Everything Bronte said today is great stuff.

Why, thank you. I'm pretty bored right now waiting for my SA to start, so I figured I'll pay it forward a little bit.

FeelTheHeat wrote:Checking in with LOLCI just a few months away.

All I have in my repertoire is my Park Aves. I assume the first thing I'll need to be picking up is a shirt and tie. I'll be getting the suit later in the summer when I have a little more cash. Any recommendations on either? I know it's a broad statement, I just don't have the motivation to go searching through all the pages.

Shirt: You'll want more than one shirt for OCI. Although you could of course get by with one by washing it every night, having at least one backup would be preferable. In general, having three white, open collar (i.e., nonbutton-down) shirts is probably ideal--for OCI and in general going forward.

Right now, Brooks Brothers has its standard shirts on sale for three for $200. If you go this route, you'll have a number of choices to make when buying the shirt: the size, the collar, the fit, and the finish. Size is just a matter of having the salesman measure your neck and arms and then trying on a shirt to make sure.

The collar can either be button down or open. You want open for use with a tie at OCI. Open collars can have various "spreads." Most Brooks Brothers shirts have a medium spread, but here's some reading on that issue in case you're presented with the choice: http://www.tomjames.com/virtual/collars.asp. The finish is the decision between regular and noniron (a.k.a. wrinkle free). Noniron is more convenient and regular wears a little better. Also, Brooks Brothers seems to be kind of going all in on the noniron so there seems to be more variety there.

The fit is the decision between traditional, regular, slim, and extra slim. Cross traditional and extra slim off the list: they will fit almost no one. Whether you get regular or slim fit, you're going to want to take the shirts to an offsite tailor afterwords. Just try them both on, buy the one that fits you better, then take them to the tailor.

To get the shirt tailored, see above. What you want done is to have the "sides brought in" on a shirt. This usually costs $20-25 a shirt.

Ties: Since I'm recommending you spend $275 on three shirts, I will save you some money on ties: http://www.thetiebar.com. The Tie Bar ties are $15 and of a reasonable quality. While their more complex patterns are pretty lame and outdated, their simple patterns are the traditional timeless designs you want to wear to OCI. I'll recommend three for you: http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=, http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=, and http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=. The only caveat to these ties is that if you're particularly short they may be a bit too long.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed May 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Bronte, the advice is fantastic. Thank you. I already ordered the three ties you recommended. The shirts may be a bit too much of a reach, but we'll see.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Would these be appropriate with a navy suit/slacks during a SA?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/pr ... 0000001_-1

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 23, 2012 3:57 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Would these be appropriate with a navy suit/slacks during a SA?

I'm not sure. What about the Fifth Avenue instead of the Sanford and brown burnished calf instead of walnut calf? Does that spoil the fun?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 23, 2012 5:40 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:Bronte, the advice is fantastic. Thank you. I already ordered the three ties you recommended. The shirts may be a bit too much of a reach, but we'll see.

The shirts will go on sale for less at a later date. I think it goes down to at least $160 for three sometime this summer. Also, there are of course cheaper shirts to be had that will work just fine. Macy's or the like should have shirts along the same line, but make sure you get 100% cotton. In either case, allow at least two weeks for tailoring.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 23, 2012 6:03 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Would these be appropriate with a navy suit/slacks during a SA?

too "ornate" for OCI, imo. brown shoes are already pushing it, but adding the design pretty much seals the deal.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed May 23, 2012 6:13 pm

traehekat wrote:

too "ornate" for OCI, imo. brown shoes are already pushing it, but adding the design pretty much seals the deal.

He's talking about this summer in his SA not about OCI. I think you can get away with more as an SA, but I would still not choose an ornate walnut shoe. I recently bought a pair of deep brown Park Avenues to wear in rotation with my black Park Avenues at my SA. Obviously these are about the two most conservative shoes you could wear, but why not? Walnut is more a color to get once you have your basic black and brown or burgundy.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 pm

Bronte wrote:
traehekat wrote:

He's talking about this summer in his SA not about OCI. I think you can get away with more as an SA, but I would still not choose an ornate walnut shoe. I recently bought a pair of deep brown Park Avenues to wear in rotation with my black Park Avenues at my SA. Obviously these are about the two most conservative shoes you could wear, but why not? Walnut is more a color to get once you have your basic black and brown or burgundy.

woop my bad. for SA those are fine i think.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed May 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Bronte,

Do you have a few more recommendations on ties from that website? The ones you suggested were excellent (I ordered them) and I want to keep a few more on the backburner for when I see some paychecks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 23, 2012 9:54 pm

Honestly I have found thrift stores to be a fantastic place to get ties. You have to wade through a heap of henious paisley, but you can almost always find one or two nice ties at each store, and they are always under $5/each.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly I have found thrift stores to be a fantastic place to get ties. You have to wade through a heap of henious paisley, but you can almost always find one or two nice ties at each store, and they are always under $5/each.

You must live in a place with nicer thrift stores than me

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly I have found thrift stores to be a fantastic place to get ties. You have to wade through a heap of henious paisley, but you can almost always find one or two nice ties at each store, and they are always under $5/each.

Why so anon, thrifty poaster?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed May 23, 2012 11:15 pm

I would only wear that color brown with a biz cas firm.

Dark brown would work OK. Especially with navy. If you want something more fun, go with a pair of dark brown Strands. I have a pair and they are fantastic.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Wed May 23, 2012 11:17 pm

If your firm is super stuffy, just get a pair of dark brown Fifth Aves.

Still has a wee bit of "fun" on the shoe but is more-or-less a boring captoe. And, again, they look amazing in dark brown.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 1:04 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Bronte,

Do you have a few more recommendations on ties from that website? The ones you suggested were excellent (I ordered them) and I want to keep a few more on the backburner for when I see some paychecks.

I consider those three ties to be the ultimate OCI ties. They're so conservative and uncontroversial that they reduce the probability of an interviewer noticing them in a negative way to almost zero. I think I only wore those three ties to OCI. (Mine was four days, so I think I doubled up on one.)

Two other ties that you might consider are the royal blue pindot (http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=) and the firetruck red pindot (http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=). In the preceding 100 plus pages, some posters have stated that they find red a little bit loud. However, while firetruck red is bright, it is the classic power tie and interview color. You'll see presidents wearing it, and in my opinion it is always appropriate. The royal blue pindot is a little brighter than the navy, but has the virtue of going with a navy suit where the navy pindot is probably better reserved for a charcoal suit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 24, 2012 9:41 am

Last resort before I go the custom route for shirts for this fall. 6'4"ish, ~150 lbs., 15" neck, 37" sleeve. Over the past two years, I've looked at virtually every store and site I've seen recommended anywhere and had no luck finding shirts that fit in neck and sleeve.

Perry Ellis came the closest with a 15 36/37, but the shoulders are their "small" size so they're about an inch too narrow (on each side) and the neck fits like a half or full size more than a 15" for some reason. I might take it to a local tailor to see if he can work any magic, but shoulders are unworkable and I doubt moving the top button 1/4" in will make any significant difference. Sleeves would fit perfectly if the shoulders were an inch broader on each side.

Any ideas?

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:12 pm

1L coming into a T6 in the fall. So if you have the $$$ and don't own any good dress shoes it sounds like it's credited to buy (all on sale at Nordstrom's semi annual sale):

-AE Park Ave (Black) - for OCI and other interviews or anytime with a suit
-AE Fifth Ave (Black) - for biz casual SA or firm events
-AE Fifth Ave (Brown Burnished Calf) - for biz casual SA or firm events

Is this sufficient for getting through all of law school? Obv this is not necessary and may be overkill to some, but I have the $, want to pull the trigger, and just want to confirm this is TLS style forum approved... ty. guys!

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Thu May 24, 2012 12:18 pm

So I have a black suit and a navy suit with very thin pinstripes. Are these essentially useless for law? I think the consensus is not to wear them for interviews, but what about when im actually working? At least I could wear the pants with a shirt and maybe tie, right?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 12:19 pm

drbarry987 wrote:1L coming into a T6 in the fall. So if you have the $$$ and don't own any good dress shoes it sounds like it's credited to buy (all on sale at Nordstrom's semi annual sale):

-AE Park Ave (Black) - for OCI and other interviews or anytime with a suit
-AE Fifth Ave (Black) - for biz casual SA or firm events
-AE Fifth Ave (Brown Burnished Calf) - for biz casual SA or firm events

Is this sufficient for getting through all of law school? Obv this is not necessary and may be overkill to some, but I have the $, want to pull the trigger, and just want to confirm this is TLS style forum approved... ty. guys!

It is certainly overkill, but I'm not going to stop you from buying some good shoes. However, the Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues in black are redundant in my mind. I would just get the black Park Avenues and the brown Fifth Avenues. Both of these are appropriate with both business formal and business casual attire (although I would stick with the black Park Avenues for OCI).

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 12:26 pm

Kring345 wrote:So I have a black suit and a navy suit with very thin pinstripes. Are these essentially useless for law? I think the consensus is not to wear them for interviews, but what about when im actually working? At least I could wear the pants with a shirt and maybe tie, right?

They are not useless for law. A navy suit with thin pinstripes is appropriate in any business context except as an interviewee (and then only marginally inappropriate, depending who you ask). I assure you many of your interviewers will be wearing pinstripes. As to black, black is a bit of a fashion faux pas in a business setting but you still see people wearing it. Nobody really notices.

In truth, you could use them at OCI and be fine. If you have the money, I would recommend adding a charcoal and navy suit, but if you were strapped for cash you could survive OCI just fine with those two suits. You'll see that at OCI the rules in this thread are broken by interviewees left and right.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu May 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Bronte wrote:
Kring345 wrote:So I have a black suit and a navy suit with very thin pinstripes. Are these essentially useless for law? I think the consensus is not to wear them for interviews, but what about when im actually working? At least I could wear the pants with a shirt and maybe tie, right?

They are not useless for law. A navy suit with thin pinstripes is appropriate in any business context except as an interviewee (and then only marginally inappropriate, depending who you ask). I assure you many of your interviewers will be wearing pinstripes. As to black, black is a bit of a fashion faux pas in a business setting but you still see people wearing it. Nobody really notices.

In truth, you could use them at OCI and be fine. If you have the money, I would recommend adding a charcoal and navy suit, but if you were strapped for cash you could survive OCI just fine with those two suits. You'll see that at OCI the rules in this thread are broken by interviewees left and right.

I myself have the same suits at Kring, and I'll definitely be looking to pick up a decent charcoal one over the summer. Charcoal suits seem odd, though; for how prevalently they are discussed on TLS, it seems no brands actually have that exact color as an option. I went to Macy's and the only real "charcoal" I found was an Alfani one.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu May 24, 2012 12:36 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I myself have the same suits at Kring, and I'll definitely be looking to pick up a decent charcoal one over the summer. Charcoal suits seem odd, though; for how prevalently they are discussed on TLS, it seems no brands actually have that exact color as an option. I went to Macy's and the only real "charcoal" I found was an Alfani one.

Well certainly don't look for a suit that's (necessarily) called charcoal. Just look for a suit that's dark gray. People just say charcoal to distinguish from light gray, I think.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Bronte wrote:

I consider those three ties to be the ultimate OCI ties. They're so conservative and uncontroversial that they reduce the probability of an interviewer noticing them in a negative way to almost zero. I think I only wore those three ties to OCI. (Mine was four days, so I think I doubled up on one.)

Two other ties that you might consider are the royal blue pindot (http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=) and the firetruck red pindot (http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=). In the preceding 100 plus pages, some posters have stated that they find red a little bit loud. However, while firetruck red is bright, it is the classic power tie and interview color. You'll see presidents wearing it, and in my opinion it is always appropriate. The royal blue pindot is a little brighter than the navy, but has the virtue of going with a navy suit where the navy pindot is probably better reserved for a charcoal suit.

I noticed these are all dotted. You no like stripes?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:27 pm

theavrock wrote:
Bronte wrote:

I noticed these are all dotted. You no like stripes?

Stripes are less conservative

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu May 24, 2012 2:37 pm

One of the other summers busted out his spring/summer colors today. I feel like he's challenging me. Challenge accepted.

Return to “Legal Employment”