OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 20130312 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No, dawg. This ISN'T my first rodeo. They point out my orange tie (with designs) because they know it looks nice. Trust. When people constantly say, "I like that tie," then you know it is a positive impression...

This tie gets complements when I'm walking down the street, on the bus, and in interviews with big law firms that pay the big bucks...It's my go-to-tie. I don't get this reaction when I wear one of the other 15 ties I have....trust.

Wearing an orange tie to OCI is just idiotic... Trust.

Whatever. What am I doing this summer? Oh, that's right...Making dat cash at a big law firm, while wearing my orange tie...Y'all can stay status quo, I'll just keep on doing my thing.

COME SEE ME WHEN I MAKE PARTNER AT A V5 BRO.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 11, 2012 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No, dawg. This ISN'T my first rodeo. They point out my orange tie (with designs) because they know it looks nice. Trust. When people constantly say, "I like that tie," then you know it is a positive impression...

This tie gets complements when I'm walking down the street, on the bus, and in interviews with big law firms that pay the big bucks...It's my go-to-tie. I don't get this reaction when I wear one of the other 15 ties I have....trust.

Wearing an orange tie to OCI is just idiotic... Trust.

Whatever. What am I doing this summer? Oh, that's right...Making dat cash at a big law firm, while wearing my orange tie...Y'all can stay status quo, I'll just keep on doing my thing.

You realize this rebuts absolutely nothing said ITT, right?

romothesavior wrote:Many of the choices debated in this thread are pretty tedious and anal, no doubt. Wearing dark brown shoes, having faint pinstripes in your suit, wearing a green tie, etc. are probably not going to cost you a job. And we've all readily admitted this. But I've also heard of people getting dinged for crazy things like not wearing collar stays. Back in January I saw a kid get lambasted by a managing partner in front of the entire 1L class for his professional attire (which wasn't even that bad). This shit happens. Most people don't care (or even notice) the things we're talking about ITT, but there are some that do, and you should dress in a way that everyone will find appropriate for an interview.

Also, sweet use of the anon feature bro.

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri May 11, 2012 10:25 pm

pretty sure anon is sparty99, who i believe goes to Whittier or something

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 20, 2012 10:43 am

Heading to Macys today to get some dress shirts for the SA, since they have some good deals. Any brands in particular to seek out or stay away from? I know people said to find the 100% cotton wrinkle free shirts (as opposed to the poly cotton blend). Anything else to seek out? And how would the Jos A Bank dress shirts compare, since they are close in price right now.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 20, 2012 3:53 pm

Anyone with some words of advice on dress shirts like I mentioned in above post?

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Sun May 20, 2012 4:28 pm

Roth. Only Kaiser Roth.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sun May 20, 2012 4:59 pm

alawstudentsometime wrote:Roth. Only Kaiser Roth.

Huh? Is Roth a brand? And is it one you are recommending or saying I should steer clear?

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Sun May 20, 2012 11:22 pm

The AE Strands (dark brown) I bought for my SA are amazing. So much better fitment than my OCI Florsheims. Will be buying a pair of 5th Avenues in black for 2L OCI for sure.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Mon May 21, 2012 11:49 am

Any thoughts on Jos A Bank "Joseph" suits? People have mentioned all the other styles here. They claim to be Jos A Bank's modern fit - flat front trousers, side vents, slimmer lapels. Are they too modern? They are apparently half-canvas.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_370155

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon May 21, 2012 12:18 pm

kaiser wrote:Anyone with some words of advice on dress shirts like I mentioned in above post?

I don't mind the CK shirts (especially if you are looking for slim fit), so long as they are a decent price. Better to get them at an outlet than Macy's, though.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Mon May 21, 2012 12:23 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:Any thoughts on Jos A Bank "Joseph" suits? People have mentioned all the other styles here. They claim to be Jos A Bank's modern fit - flat front trousers, side vents, slimmer lapels. Are they too modern? They are apparently half-canvas.

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_370155

As long as it fits, I think the look is fine. Not sure about the fabric, though: I just don't know enough.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon May 21, 2012 10:10 pm

On shirts -- I LOVE Enro non-iron shirts. They are legitimate, true non-iron. I can't believe how well they hold up in the wash and dryer, because I've had non-iron many times before. I never had shirts that looked this good right out of the dryer.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 pm

traehekat wrote:
kaiser wrote:Anyone with some words of advice on dress shirts like I mentioned in above post?

I don't mind the CK shirts (especially if you are looking for slim fit), so long as they are a decent price. Better to get them at an outlet than Macy's, though.

That's what I ended up with. The CKs seemed really nice. Got some Kenneth Cole shirts too since they were fitted, 100% cotton and wrinkle free in some nice colors. Looked real nice and the cut fit me well.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Tue May 22, 2012 9:38 am

This is trivial but when you wear a belt, ideally, should you go through the first eye or one of the middle eyes? Any fashion mastermen know this?

Postby 20130312 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 am

drbarry987 wrote:This is trivial but when you wear a belt, ideally, should you go through the first eye or one of the middle eyes? Any fashion mastermen know this?

I've always gone with the one that fits me best. If you have it pulled all the way through to the last hole, though, that looks pretty doofy and it's time for a new belt.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Tue May 22, 2012 11:10 am

ingoodfaith,

thank you again for your SA fashion tips. I have two questions:

I know that the standard is AE Park Ave. for shoes. what do you think of bruno magli? I saw a simple pair for 171 after 40% off at neiman marcus discount store. LOTS of nice stuff at that store!

http://www.lastcall.com/p/Bruno-Magli-R ... 4294957106

Also, could you link to an appropriate blue tie? I personally like paisley, but I don't know that it is appropriate. Am i looking at stripes, solids or what? What shade should it be? I know I need an extra-long as I am 6"3". Where should the tie reach? i have heard mid buckle, but I'd like that verified.

thanks again

-RE

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue May 22, 2012 11:15 am

Anyone have recommendations for finding a good tailor and/or communicating with them?

I took a OTR suit to one and I still don't really like the way it fits, but I can't really put my finger on why. I don't really know how a suits supposed to fit and telling them I just don't want to look like a slob doesn't seem to be the right response.

Everyone on here says have your suit tailored but fuck if I know what that means. I wear t shirts and jeans all the damn time

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Tue May 22, 2012 11:23 am

It's hard to find a suit that fits properly. How tall are you? Are you a larger person or skinnier person? Are you shaped like a linebacker or average? you can pm me if you don't want that info on here publicly.

Best advice I can give you is head to Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack where they have tailors on site. Most tailors/stores are not knowledgeable. I can say for sure that my Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack is great. The guy even fit me for a shirt, and did it properly.

Postby 20130312 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 am

roaringeagle wrote:ingoodfaith,

I know that the standard is AE Park Ave. for shoes. what do you think of bruno magli? I saw a simple pair for 171 after 40% off at neiman marcus discount store. LOTS of nice stuff at that store!

Also, could you link to an appropriate blue tie? I personally like paisley, but I don't know that it is appropriate. Am i looking at stripes, solids or what? What shade should it be? I know I need an extra-long as I am 6"3". Where should the tie reach? i have heard mid buckle, but I'd like that verified.

thanks again

-RE

The other guys here really know more about shoes than I do (paging Romo?), so I'll defer to their opinion on the quality of that particular shoe.

For ties, you're right that paisley wouldn't be appropriate for an event like OCI (though I'm a big fan of that pattern too). If you're wearing a solid white shirt, stick with a tie that has a pattern on it. Probably best if it were a pindot or striped, and look at the more subdued blue shades rather than the brighter ones. I like to let my tie hang in the middle of my buckle, but everyone seems to have a different opinion on this. FWIW, the Air Force makes cadets tie their ties such that it merely touches the top of the buckle. As long as the bottom of the tie is touching the belt buckle in some way (not ending before the belt or after it), you're probably fine.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Tue May 22, 2012 11:42 am

thank you!

I really like the one on top.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 22, 2012 12:45 pm

roaringeagle wrote:ingoodfaith,

thanks again

-RE

The shoes: I would not recommend those shoes. They're square toes, they have those goretex inserts on the vamp, they have rubber outsoles, they're somewhat fashion-forward, and finally they're pretty expensive. For that money I would get a pair of Allen Edmonds if you don't already have them. In addition to the Park Avenue, you could also look at the Fifth Avenue.

The tie: I don't think there's a need to be anywhere near as conservative for an SA as there is for OCI. I wouldn't wear a paisley tie on the first day, but I might if it seemed appropriate after observing what other associates were wearing to the office. Anyway, to be on the conservative side, good patterns are stripes, dots, and "tooth." (For tooth, see, e.g., http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds=.)

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue May 22, 2012 1:11 pm

theavrock wrote:Anyone have recommendations for finding a good tailor and/or communicating with them?

I took a OTR suit to one and I still don't really like the way it fits, but I can't really put my finger on why. I don't really know how a suits supposed to fit and telling them I just don't want to look like a slob doesn't seem to be the right response.

Everyone on here says have your suit tailored but fuck if I know what that means. I wear t shirts and jeans all the damn time

Finding a good tailor is easier in a big city. If you're in a major metropolitan area, there should be an abundance of tailors to choose from. The best place to start is to use Yelp.com and Google to read reviews. Look in particular at the negative reviews; a lot of tailors will have a lot of rave reviews, but sometimes the content of any negative reviews can set them apart.

Once you've found a tailor, you can still end up with an unsatisfactory result for a number of reasons. Although incompetence is certainly one of them, it sounds to me like the problem you're having is that your tailor is giving you what many of her customers want: a baggy suit. If you look at the average guy wearing a suit, he's wearing it with a full break at the cuff (or more), with the no shirt sleeve showing, with a lot of slack in waste of the jacket, etc. This is the 80s and 90s look that a lot of suit-wearers are used to, but that you really want to avoid.

When you go to the tailor, you should wear dress shoes, a dress belt, a dress shirt, and even preferably a tie. You should tell the tailor in general what you're looking for: a close-fitting, contemporary cut. Then you can ask for some of the following specific alterations.

There's a few core alterations that will make a suit fit well. First, the shoulders of the jacket should not extend past your shoulders. This is something that should be figured out when you're choosing what size jacket to get. However, if you made a mistake, a tailor can fix it, although it will be expensive. Second, the pants should be fitted at the waste and at the cuff. The cuff can be either a full, half, or no break. I would go with half break.

Third, the waist of the jacket should be suppressed ("brought in"). This is important to the suit not looking "slobby." However, too much suppression can result in the suit looking maybe a bit too trendy. Fourth, the sleeves should be shortened. You want between a quarter and half inch of your shirt cuff to protrude from your jacket sleeve when your arm is at your side. Finally, you can have the tailor slim the sleeves of the jacket and even the legs of the pants.

Some further reading: http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/26/th ... man-needs/ ; http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/20 ... it#slide=3.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue May 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Bronte wrote:
theavrock wrote:Anyone have recommendations for finding a good tailor and/or communicating with them?

Finding a good tailor is easier in a big city. If you're in a major metropolitan area, there should be an abundance of tailors to choose from. The best place to start is to use Yelp.com and Google to read reviews. Look in particular at the negative reviews; a lot of tailors will have a lot of rave reviews, but sometimes the content of any negative reviews can set them apart.

Once you've found a tailor, you can still end up with an unsatisfactory result for a number of reasons. Although incompetence is certainly one of them, it sounds to me like the problem you're having is that your tailor is giving you what many of her customers want: a baggy suit. If you look at the average guy wearing a suit, he's wearing it with a full break at the cuff (or more), with the no shirt sleeve showing, with a lot of slack in waste of the jacket, etc. This is the 80s and 90s look that a lot of suit-wearers are used to, but that you really want to avoid.

When you go to the tailor, you should wear dress shoes, a dress belt, a dress shirt, and even preferably a tie. You should tell the tailor in general what you're looking for: a close-fitting, contemporary cut. Then you can ask for some of the following specific alterations.

There's a few core alterations that will make a suit fit well. First, the shoulders of the jacket should not extend past your shoulders. This is something that should be figured out when you're choosing what size jacket to get. However, if you made a mistake, a tailor can fix it, although it will be expensive. Second, the pants should be fitted at the waste and at the cuff. The cuff can be either a full, half, or no break. I would go with half break.

Third, the waist of the jacket should be suppressed ("brought in"). This is important to the suit not looking "slobby." However, too much suppression can result in the suit looking maybe a bit too trendy. Fourth, the sleeves should be shortened. You want between a quarter and half inch of your shirt cuff to protrude from your jacket sleeve when your arm is at your side. Finally, you can have the tailor slim the sleeves of the jacket and even the legs of the pants.

Some further reading: http://artofmanliness.com/2010/02/26/th ... man-needs/ ; http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/20 ... it#slide=3.

Interesting. I think you are right. I am a bigger guy (6'2" 260 18.5" neck) but I hate big baggy clothes. My jeans are slim straight and anything else just feels off. I always wear slim cut button down shirts because the normal cuts feel like a sail. If you're right and the tailor is giving me the baggy suit treatment that could be leading to my dissatisfaction.

Thanks for the tips and reading. Great to have some specifics to speak to them about.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 am

Everything Bronte said today is great stuff.

Those blue ties are fine for OCI and working. I personally lean towards dots/tooth over stripes out of personal preference. I also think dark blue and dark red are preferable during OCI but again, that's just me.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed May 23, 2012 10:09 am

Checking in with LOLCI just a few months away.

All I have in my repertoire is my Park Aves. I assume the first thing I'll need to be picking up is a shirt and tie. I'll be getting the suit later in the summer when I have a little more cash. Any recommendations on either? I know it's a broad statement, I just don't have the motivation to go searching through all the pages.

Return to “Legal Employment”