OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby 20130312 » Wed May 09, 2012 4:50 pm

traehekat wrote:so what is the consensus on chinos for a business casual dress code? my feeling is that even if they are in bounds, you can't just throw a jacket and tie on with them and all of a sudden become business traditional, can you? i need to buy some more pants but i kinda feel like im better off just getting some more slacks.

Slacks are credited, chinos too (though I'm not sure if this is okay in the legal field). There are literally no pants that I wear to my biz casual job that I would feel comfortable throwing a jacket and tie on.

drbarry987

Postby drbarry987 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:58 am

Amidoinitwrong or does Brooks Brothers not have a solid Navy or solid charcoal Fitzgerald suit?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... size=#null

They have a grey (not dark enough for OCI) and when you click on "navy" a picture of a dude in a pinstripe suit pops up. What's up?

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Thu May 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Is this suit too light for OCI? It looks mad sharp! it's 375 with coupon code i mentioned above.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... =56%20Long

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:42 pm

roaringeagle wrote:Is this suit too light for OCI? It looks mad sharp! it's 375 with coupon code i mentioned above.

Dude, the pinstripes. This is way too loud for OCI.

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Thu May 10, 2012 1:50 pm

ok then how about this with some nice bb pants?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... Solid-Navy

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 10, 2012 1:58 pm

roaringeagle wrote:ok then how about this with some nice bb pants?

as long as you make sure to purchase the matching trousers that's definitely fine.

edit: in other news, i purchased a couple pairs of chinos and 3 BD shirts from BB the other day. i still can't figure out my size there. i have an extra slim fit 15/33 and a slim fit 14.5/32-3, both which seem to fit fine. i tried a slim fit 15/33 and felt it was too baggy, though, so went to the extra slim fit. unfortunately they only had 15.5/33 in the that, but i felt like it was fine at the store and so i just went with it. when i got home and compared the fit to my 15/33 extra slim fit i felt like it still wasn't where i wanted it. i think i was persuaded into picking up the 15.5 because of the fit in the shoulders, but honestly it doesn't look like any shirt is going to fit me perfectly unless i get it MTM, so i guess i'll take a little tighter shoulders with a nice fit around the waist/chest over the right shoulder fit with a bunch of baggage.

/rant
Last edited by traehekat on Thu May 10, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:06 pm

traehekat wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:ok then how about this with some nice bb pants?

as long as you make sure to purchase the matching trousers that's definitely fine.

Word. Solid choice.

(see what I did there?)

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Thu May 10, 2012 2:13 pm

I just called BB and they told me their clearance sales are in June/July. I guess I'll wait till then, because the trousers don't come in my size for that jacket and the suit is too loud.

So....

Shoes: Allen Edmonds, but in black, and cap toe conservative
Suit: Demure Brooks Brothers
shirt: White??????? Not sure on this one. I have a bunch of colored non-iron shirts from Paul Fredrick that I love. It would be no biggie to get a white shirt from them.

Windsor or straight collar?

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:19 pm

roaringeagle wrote:I just called BB and they told me their clearance sales are in June/July. I guess I'll wait till then, because the trousers don't come in my size for that jacket and the suit is too loud.

So....

Shoes: Allen Edmonds, but in black, and cap toe conservative
Suit: Demure Brooks Brothers
shirt: White??????? Not sure on this one. I have a bunch of colored non-iron shirts from Paul Fredrick that I love. It would be no biggie to get a white shirt from them.

Windsor or straight collar?

White shirt, straight collar. Not the most exciting outfit, but it's professional. Blue shirts are acceptable, but you can't beat a crisp white shirt.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:22 pm

Brooks Brothers? I feel like they are too old and stuffy....

You need to wear something hip....

roaringeagle

Postby roaringeagle » Thu May 10, 2012 2:27 pm

ty for your help. IGF and Trae

Chucky21

Postby Chucky21 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:30 pm

What colors would be considered too loud? Would going with a navy carcoal suit with a light blue shirt be ok?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 10, 2012 2:35 pm

sparty99 wrote:Brooks Brothers? I feel like they are too old and stuffy....

trust me, the last thing you want to do during OCI is stand out because of what you are wearing.

navy/charcoal 2 button suit, black oxford cap toe shoes, white/light blue shirt (no french cuff), solid color tie (preferably red/blue). make sure everything fits properly, and there is your uniform. basically, you want to dress like the president.

Chucky21 wrote:What colors would be considered too loud? Would going with a navy carcoal suit with a light blue shirt be ok?

personally i prefer light blue shirts over white, but white is certainly the "safer" bet. for whatever reason, i feel like the navy/charcoal suit with a light blue dress shirt is very "chicago" whereas the same suit with a white shirt is more "new york." dunno how i got that in my head, but that's partially how i ended up doing all of my interviews with chicago firms in a light blue shirt.

as far as shirts go, white/light blue are your only options. you can mix in red, green, yellow, etc. with your tie, but again i would go with a solid color with a bit of texture (not grenadine, of course, but more texture than the kind of ties anderson cooper wears). pink/lime green might be too loud, i wouldn't wear anything like that. again, it's worth pointing out that "loud" should not come close to describing your outfit. if you are thinking something might be too loud, it probably is.

mirodh

Postby mirodh » Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
roaringeagle wrote:Is this suit too light for OCI? It looks mad sharp! it's 375 with coupon code i mentioned above.

Dude, the pinstripes. This is way too loud for OCI.

What about as an SA or 1st year at a formal firm? Are standards lessened, or should you typically follow strict OCI rules until you get some seniority?

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 pm

For more details, read this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 3:21 pm

traehekat wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Brooks Brothers? I feel like they are too old and stuffy....

trust me, the last thing you want to do during OCI is stand out because of what you are wearing.

navy/charcoal 2 button suit, black oxford cap toe shoes, white/light blue shirt (no french cuff), solid color tie (preferably red/blue). make sure everything fits properly, and there is your uniform. basically, you want to dress like the president.

Chucky21 wrote:What colors would be considered too loud? Would going with a navy carcoal suit with a light blue shirt be ok?

personally i prefer light blue shirts over white, but white is certainly the "safer" bet. for whatever reason, i feel like the navy/charcoal suit with a light blue dress shirt is very "chicago" whereas the same suit with a white shirt is more "new york." dunno how i got that in my head, but that's partially how i ended up doing all of my interviews with chicago firms in a light blue shirt.

as far as shirts go, white/light blue are your only options. you can mix in red, green, yellow, etc. with your tie, but again i would go with a solid color with a bit of texture (not grenadine, of course, but more texture than the kind of ties anderson cooper wears). pink/lime green might be too loud, i wouldn't wear anything like that. again, it's worth pointing out that "loud" should not come close to describing your outfit. if you are thinking something might be too loud, it probably is.

I've worn pink shirts in an interview, but usually try to stay away from wearing those b/c i'm gay and don't want to come off ass a sissy. Plus, solid dark colors are more powerful. Otherwise, I look good.

I have several go-to-ties...One is orange with some designs. I gets lots of compliments...And by lots, I mean, every time I wear it, people say something. Surely, white/blue are the safe bets and now is not the time to try a new trend, but if you look good from head to toe, I wouldn't worry too much about the rules of dressing....Find a nice tie that will get you compliments, cause everyone else will be wearing some boring shit....Let them remember you for that tie.

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 10, 2012 4:47 pm

You absolutely don't want to look trendy, and God help you if they point out that you are wearing an orange tie. They may say it as a compliment, but I guarantee you it can only have a negative impact in your interviewer's mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm

yea definitely DONT wear an orange tie. im sure those compliments didn't come from interviewers, if they did they weren't law firm interviews. as an anecdote, i know someone who struck out at oci. i have no idea what his work experience is, nor his gpa. i do remember vividly though that he wore a pink tie (with tie clip) to oci. come to think of it, out of the 200 kids he's the only person whose outfit i remember. this was at a school that's usually thought of as biglaw secure. maybe his grades were awful i dunno but i would like to think it was the tie

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2012 5:22 pm

No, dawg. This ISN'T my first rodeo. They point out my orange tie (with designs) because they know it looks nice. Trust. When people constantly say, "I like that tie," then you know it is a positive impression...

This tie gets complements when I'm walking down the street, on the bus, and in interviews with big law firms that pay the big bucks...It's my go-to-tie. I don't get this reaction when I wear one of the other 15 ties I have....trust.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 pm

post a pic of that magic tie bro

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu May 10, 2012 5:30 pm

goodolgil wrote:post a pic of that magic tie bro

haha +1.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:No, dawg. This ISN'T my first rodeo. They point out my orange tie (with designs) because they know it looks nice. Trust. When people constantly say, "I like that tie," then you know it is a positive impression...

This tie gets complements when I'm walking down the street, on the bus, and in interviews with big law firms that pay the big bucks...It's my go-to-tie. I don't get this reaction when I wear one of the other 15 ties I have....trust.

Wearing an orange tie to OCI is just idiotic... Trust.

Postby 20130312 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:No, dawg. This ISN'T my first rodeo. They point out my orange tie (with designs) because they know it looks nice. Trust. When people constantly say, "I like that tie," then you know it is a positive impression...

But what about the compliment I received from random brahs walking down the street? Bitches love orange ties.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu May 10, 2012 11:56 pm

I believe the poster is confusing "compliment" with "mocking snickers".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 am

romothesavior wrote:

Whatever. What am I doing this summer? Oh, that's right...Making dat cash at a big law firm, while wearing my orange tie...Y'all can stay status quo, I'll just keep on doing my thing.

Return to “Legal Employment”