OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby desertlaw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:24 pm

Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Casual-Medium-Brief-Cases-Messenger-Bag-2Colors-/260829444938?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&var=&hash=item82651d1e54#ht_20032wt_724

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby desertlaw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:27 pm

desertlaw wrote:Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Casual-Medium-Brief-Cases-Messenger-Bag-2Colors-/260829444938?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&var=&hash=item82651d1e54#ht_20032wt_724


Nevermind. I just measured and it's way too small. (That's what she said).

Disregard.

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:06 pm

desertlaw wrote:Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.


same, i just picked one up for around $60 at nordstrom rack.

related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kaiser » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:13 pm

traehekat wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.


same, i just picked one up for around $60 at nordstrom rack.

related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?


Wow, I need to check that out. Want to have a nice and serviceable bag for this summer without shelling out big bucks, so that sounds perfect. I'm sure a somewhat-pricier bag will be among the graduation gifts, so I just need one to make it through the summer.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby moandersen » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:31 pm

traehekat wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.


same, i just picked one up for around $60 at nordstrom rack.

related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?


I brought one to my 1L SA for the first couple of days, but that was it. Never needed it - the only reason I brought it the first week was to carry my bluebook cause I needed it at home for the write-on competition and at work to cite cases. I will bring it with me when I move cities for my 2L SA, but I dont plan on bringing it to work unless there is a need.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 am

Brown (not walnut) AE Strands for business casual SA gig - yay or nay? Thinking they will go great with my gray suit and navy pinstripe.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:39 am

TTRansfer wrote:Brown (not walnut) AE Strands for business casual SA gig - yay or nay? Thinking they will go great with my gray suit and navy pinstripe.

They're nice shoes but they're pretty loud. Would depend a lot on you and the rest of your wardrobe.

Also, how business casual is this SA? A suit with AEs seems much closer to business professional than business casual.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 am

romothesavior wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Brown (not walnut) AE Strands for business casual SA gig - yay or nay? Thinking they will go great with my gray suit and navy pinstripe.

They're nice shoes but they're pretty loud. Would depend a lot on you and the rest of your wardrobe.

Also, how business casual is this SA? A suit with AEs seems much closer to business professional than business casual.


That's why I am thinking of going with the darker brown. The walnut would be way too God damn loud, hah.

The firm is business casual in the sense that they expect me to be wearing a suit jacket but pretty much whatever shirt I want, whatever tie I want (if I want a tie) and such. So I can be semi-loud in certain areas. Basically, they say they want SAs in a suit just to be ready to go to court/depositions but what you wear besides the suit jacket and pants themselves is up to you.

Shoe wise, most of the people in the office were sporting pretty nice shoes. Captoes and wingtips mixed with some slip ons. The dress is kind of all over, in a sense.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Sounds like dress is business professional. A suit, shirt, and tie is business professional, no matter how it is sliced.

In that case, I'd say go for them if you like them. It sounds like they will fit in with the office fashion culture just fine.

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:Sounds like dress is business professional. A suit, shirt, and tie is business professional, no matter how it is sliced.

In that case, I'd say go for them if you like them. It sounds like they will fit in with the office fashion culture just fine.


That's kind of my thoughts. Sometimes the partners come in with just a sportcoat and sweater, but I didn't see any of the associates going that casual (they all had on suits and no tie). I'll probably have to keep a tie with me at the minimum to throw on when clients come in.

And yeah, on the fitting in part -- I think they will be fine there. Hopefully the fit is good on them, because it's hard finding a decent shoe wide enough.

User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sidgey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:06 pm

traehekat wrote:related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?


any SA at my NYC biglaw firm would have been ridiculed for having a briefcase

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bosque » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:19 pm

sidgey wrote:
traehekat wrote:related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?


any SA at my NYC biglaw firm would have been ridiculed for having a briefcase


I used a bag as a summer associate. It wasn't a briefcase though, it was a messenger bag. I carried my change of clothes for the softball league, a book for the commute, my wallet, phone, keys, carry work home if I was gonna work that night/on the weekend, stuff like that.

If you show up with a bag just to have a bag, that is silly. If you are actually using it to carry stuff, then anyone making fun of you is silly.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Doritos » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:24 pm

desertlaw wrote:Anyone have thoughts on whether this briefcase would be okay for 2L SA? (V30 west coast office. Business casual attire)

Trying to stay under $60 and hoping the parents/in-laws will buy me a fancy one for graduation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Casual-Medium-Brief-Cases-Messenger-Bag-2Colors-/260829444938?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&var=&hash=item82651d1e54#ht_20032wt_724


There have been some serious advances in fanny pack technology recently which make briefcases basically obsolete.


User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:01 pm

afghan007 wrote:too light for NYC SA?

http://www.blacklapel.com/media/catalog ... _front.png

Only if you wear it with that ridiculous hairdo.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 am

mirodh wrote:Thanks for the reply, I am a native Texas though so I operate under the assumption that an undershirt is required. Also, on deodorant, I have always been a "just grab and use whatever" kind of guy, is there any out there that really does work well all day and will keep me dry?


Sure antiperspirant has the best cost to active ingredient ratio (same shit as the big brand so-called clinical stuff, only at five fewer bucks and 1-2% less concentration, which is still like 4-5% more than most of the other major brands). It's considered unisex, so some of the scents are kinda lame if you're into scented deodorant, but it comes in unscented.

The real stuff is Certain Dri (the roll-on at night stuff; the stick version is identical to Sure). If Certain Dri doesn't work, you need to see a doctor.

With an undershirt and some Certain Dri, the only remaining issue is going to be the potential for a sweat band at the top of your collar if you're used to more neck ventilation when you're hot (the band is commonly seen amongst folks not used to wearing ties all the time, and made all the more annoying because it is something you can't cover with your jacket). On that, make sure your collar is properly sized and your tie isn't too tight (you should be able to pretty easily slide a finger all the way around your neck with your tie on). Also, you'll want to avoid colored shirts until you acclimate to your new garb; sweat shows up a lot clearer on a colored shirt than if you go with a white shirt of some sort.

-Pufer

User avatar
sidgey
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby sidgey » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:10 am

Bosque wrote:
sidgey wrote:
traehekat wrote:related question: does anyone know if SAs ever actually use these bags during the summer? you wouldn't bring one with you the first day, would you? if you did, wtf would you put in it?


any SA at my NYC biglaw firm would have been ridiculed for having a briefcase


I used a bag as a summer associate. It wasn't a briefcase though, it was a messenger bag. I carried my change of clothes for the softball league, a book for the commute, my wallet, phone, keys, carry work home if I was gonna work that night/on the weekend, stuff like that.

If you show up with a bag just to have a bag, that is silly. If you are actually using it to carry stuff, then anyone making fun of you is silly.


Agreed - my colleagues had either gym bags, messenger bags or backpacks across the board. I was referring to briefcases specifically as making someone the object of ridicule.

mrloblaw
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby mrloblaw » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:08 pm

One rule I was never clear on:

Tie fabric. I've always worn silk ties for interviews, etc. I've never seen it written anywhere that there's an actual rule to that effect, but I've picked it up somewhere. Are wool ties OCI appropriate? I'm pretty sure linen and knits are way too casual.

User avatar
leobowski
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:11 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby leobowski » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:42 pm

mrloblaw wrote:One rule I was never clear on:

Tie fabric. I've always worn silk ties for interviews, etc. I've never seen it written anywhere that there's an actual rule to that effect, but I've picked it up somewhere. Are wool ties OCI appropriate? I'm pretty sure linen and knits are way too casual.



There is a rule: 100% silk or bust.

turbotong
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby turbotong » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:12 pm

JAB is having a buy 1 get 2 sale. Anyone know if their calfskin or pebble grain belts are any good? I just did a google search but didn't find much besides general jab bashing

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:01 pm

turbotong wrote:JAB is having a buy 1 get 2 sale. Anyone know if their calfskin or pebble grain belts are any good? I just did a google search but didn't find much besides general jab bashing


Their accessories are not bad, especially at their prices.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby zonto » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:56 pm

I picked up these Cole Haan Air Adams (LinkRemoved) cap-toe oxfords today at Bloomingdale's with a cedar shoe tree for $167 total. The sales guy said something about a pre-sale for tomorrow that's $50 off $200 or something. ($198 + $20 - $50)

I chose these over the Johnston & Murphy Meltons I had just tried on because these were much more comfortable (Nike Air tech inside). These also looked less plastic-y than the Meltons or the Cool Haan Caldwells that Macy's sells. This difference was readily apparent to me comparing the Meltons to J&M's nicer $2/375 shoes in their store. Also, as long as they are thin, rubber soles seem much more practical than leather soles to me (especially living in New England).

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby traehekat » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:57 pm

zonto wrote:I picked up these Cole Haan Air Adams (LinkRemoved) cap-toe oxfords today at Bloomingdale's with a cedar shoe tree for $167 total. The sales guy said something about a pre-sale for tomorrow that's $50 off $200 or something. ($198 + $20 - $50)

I chose these over the Johnston & Murphy Meltons I had just tried on because these were much more comfortable (Nike Air tech inside). These also looked less plastic-y than the Meltons or the Cool Haan Caldwells that Macy's sells. This difference was readily apparent to me comparing the Meltons to J&M's nicer $2/375 shoes in their store. Also, as long as they are thin, rubber soles seem much more practical than leather soles to me (especially living in New England).


agree that they look less like plastic than a lot of other shoes, good buy IMO.

User avatar
angrybird
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby angrybird » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:58 pm

traehekat wrote:
zonto wrote:I picked up these Cole Haan Air Adams (LinkRemoved) cap-toe oxfords today at Bloomingdale's with a cedar shoe tree for $167 total. The sales guy said something about a pre-sale for tomorrow that's $50 off $200 or something. ($198 + $20 - $50)

I chose these over the Johnston & Murphy Meltons I had just tried on because these were much more comfortable (Nike Air tech inside). These also looked less plastic-y than the Meltons or the Cool Haan Caldwells that Macy's sells. This difference was readily apparent to me comparing the Meltons to J&M's nicer $2/375 shoes in their store. Also, as long as they are thin, rubber soles seem much more practical than leather soles to me (especially living in New England).


agree that they look less like plastic than a lot of other shoes, good buy IMO.

i have the same pair - love them. i only paid $100 but it was a combo deal with a suit. $147 is a decent price.

turbotong
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby turbotong » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:32 am

angrybird wrote:
traehekat wrote:
zonto wrote:I picked up these Cole Haan Air Adams (LinkRemoved) cap-toe oxfords today at Bloomingdale's with a cedar shoe tree for $167 total. The sales guy said something about a pre-sale for tomorrow that's $50 off $200 or something. ($198 + $20 - $50)

I chose these over the Johnston & Murphy Meltons I had just tried on because these were much more comfortable (Nike Air tech inside). These also looked less plastic-y than the Meltons or the Cool Haan Caldwells that Macy's sells. This difference was readily apparent to me comparing the Meltons to J&M's nicer $2/375 shoes in their store. Also, as long as they are thin, rubber soles seem much more practical than leather soles to me (especially living in New England).


agree that they look less like plastic than a lot of other shoes, good buy IMO.

i have the same pair - love them. i only paid $100 but it was a combo deal with a suit. $147 is a decent price.

Noticed they were rubber instead of leather sole.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.