OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Bronck wrote:Not for interviews, but what do you guys think of this shirt for work-related?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... -1/2%2032#

Is it too noisy? Or perfectly fine? It's on clearance, so a good price.

With a tie or no tie? I think it would look great as business casual. Generally button-down collars with ties are not preferred.

I see tons of attorneys wearing button-down collars with ties.

Plus, it's a nice shirt.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:22 pm

kalvano wrote:

And none of them look good in it. I agree, however, that the shirt by itself looks nice.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Lincoln wrote:
kalvano wrote:

And none of them look good in it. I agree, however, that the shirt by itself looks nice.

I think the real truth is that the majority of people have more important things to worry about and 99% of the time aren't looking closely enough to notice or care.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:29 pm

kalvano wrote:I see tons of attorneys wearing button-down collars with ties.

Plus, it's a nice shirt.

kaiser wrote:I think the real truth is that the majority of people have more important things to worry about and 99% of the time aren't looking closely enough to notice or care.

Both good points, lol. Did some research on a style forum and the consensus seemed to be that button-down collars are acceptable with ties even if they do stray to the casual side.

In fact, a lot of people were calling that look more old-fashioned/trad.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:37 pm

It's definitely an old-fashioned thing. My grandfather wore that combo, and so does my dad half the time.

There's nothing "wrong" with it, it just doesn't look as good.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:40 pm

kalvano wrote:It's definitely an old-fashioned thing. My grandfather wore that combo, and so does my dad half the time.

There's nothing "wrong" with it, it just doesn't look as good.

yeah i think it looks "appropriate" (not necessarily "good") on older guys. doesn't look right on younger guys, tho.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:47 pm

See, this whole debate is why I'm leaning towards not getting the BDs. It's not as if this is the only sale BB will ever have. I can always wait for their semi-annual sale in June and pick up spread collar shirts.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:23 pm

Bronck wrote:See, this whole debate is why I'm leaning towards not getting the BDs. It's not as if this is the only sale BB will ever have. I can always wait for their semi-annual sale in June and pick up spread collar shirts.

I don't think it's a bad price at all if you are looking for a nice looking, high quality shirt to wear without a tie. I almost picked up the exact shirt a month ago at the BB on Michigan Ave, but ended up balking. But if you are just looking for shirts to pick up for work, then I would hold off like you said.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 pm

So we all agree that it is more casual and doesn't look as good? That should be the end IMO.

I'm a lot more laid back than some of the sartorially inclined folks on TLS and I never said it wasn't appropriate, just not preferred. But some (Purer in particular, IIRC) are very anti tie+button down. I've heard people call it a "used car salesman" look, and it looks particularly bad with a suit, which is really the only time to wear a tie these days unless you're going door to door handing out religious pamphlets or going to Homecoming.

The fact that "most people won't notice" is true but irrelevant. Half the shit discussed in here wouldn't be noticed by the average person. Also, the fact that older attorneys often do it is true and irrelevant as well. Most attorneys, especially older ones, dress like shit. You wouldn't look out of place wearing a black suit, rubber soled shoes, and a poorly fitted suit in most law offices. But that doesn't make you well dressed.

And finally Bronck, have you seen the Fashion/Style thread? This one is pretty OCI focused and kinda dead these days. I think the conversations and posters in the other thread are a little more helpful and on point for other style questions, so you might want to try there next time.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:45 pm

Bronck wrote:See, this whole debate is why I'm leaning towards not getting the BDs. It's not as if this is the only sale BB will ever have. I can always wait for their semi-annual sale in June and pick up spread collar shirts.

Yeah, keep checking the sale section. I got 5 shirts and a pair of dress pants for $250 a few weeks ago. One casual shirt, two business casual (BD collars) and two non BDs. I am sure if you keep an eye out you'll find something.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:03 pm

How many ties should I bring with me this summer? I doubt I'll wear ties unless I wear a suit because ties without a suit looks like I am in high school (unless it's a skinny tie w/vest, but that's another story all to itself).

I'm thinking of having just 5-6 ties for the times that I actually need to wear a suit. Otherwise, business casual means suit without tie or just dress pants and button-down shirt.

/thread?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:37 pm

desertlaw wrote:How many ties should I bring with me this summer? I doubt I'll wear ties unless I wear a suit because ties without a suit looks like I am in high school (unless it's a skinny tie w/vest, but that's another story all to itself).

I'm thinking of having just 5-6 ties for the times that I actually need to wear a suit. Otherwise, business casual means suit without tie or just dress pants and button-down shirt.

/thread?

You should hit up Jos. A. Bank and buy 2 items get a garbage bag full of ties. They run that sale every other week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:39 pm

Doritos wrote:
desertlaw wrote:How many ties should I bring with me this summer? I doubt I'll wear ties unless I wear a suit because ties without a suit looks like I am in high school (unless it's a skinny tie w/vest, but that's another story all to itself).

/thread?

You should hit up Jos. A. Bank and buy 2 items get a garbage bag full of ties. They run that sale every other week.

This.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Bronck wrote:Not for interviews, but what do you guys think of this shirt for work-related?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... -1/2%2032#

Is it too noisy? Or perfectly fine? It's on clearance, so a good price.

Some will tell you that button down collars are bad, at least when wearing a tie. I usually shy away from button down collars with a tie, but I sometimes I prefer them when I'm not wearing a tie. In terms of the pattern, the dark collar and thickness of the stripes make the shirt a bit loud. I probably wouldn't wear it to court, but it would probably be fine for regular wear in a business casual setting.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:32 pm

^ Agreed. Almost every shirt I wear without a tie is a BD. I greatly prefer them for biz casual.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Without a tie, BD collar is the correct one to wear. It looks much neater.

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:24 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed already ITT, but in any situation, it's generally considered tacky/unacceptable to wear a tie without a jacket, correct?

jkay

Postby jkay » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Yes, a tie is more formal than a jacket. It is proper to wear a jacket with no tie but not vice versa.

mirodh

Postby mirodh » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:26 pm

Formal SA in Houston, TX

1. How many suits do I need for a full-formal firm? (I have 4, is this passable?)

2. Any tips for not sweating through my shirt every time I step outside? (I hear some people keep an extra shirt in the office, just in case, is this TCR?)

3. Are there any "summer suits" that are appropriate in such a conservative setting to stay cool during the summer?

TYIA

angrybird

Postby angrybird » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:40 pm

jkay wrote:Yes, a tie is more formal than a jacket. It is proper to wear a jacket with no tie but not vice versa.

i'm probably going to sound like an idiot here but what's the proper attire for a "business casual" firm? i thought it was slacks/shirt/tie but looks like i might be wrong. i've heard people say things like "wear a suit, you can always take the jacket off" - take the tie off, too?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:45 pm

angrybird wrote:
jkay wrote:Yes, a tie is more formal than a jacket. It is proper to wear a jacket with no tie but not vice versa.

i'm probably going to sound like an idiot here but what's the proper attire for a "business casual" firm? i thought it was slacks/shirt/tie but looks like i might be wrong. i've heard people say things like "wear a suit, you can always take the jacket off" - take the tie off, too?

When I was visiting business casual firms, I would often see things like polo shirts, button down shirts with khakis, etc. I would never see a tie in a business casual firm, and very rarely even saw the "suit jacket minus tie" look either. Slacks-shirt-tie is merely business formal but with your jacket taken off, which makes it no less business formal. I'd imagine that this is what your typical business formal firm looks like, since my guess is most guys toss down the jacket and dont wear it around all day long.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 pm

angrybird wrote:

I think it depends on the city/firm. When I was a paralegal @ a V5 in NYC, I'd say more than half of the attorneys wore ties everyday and a good number wore suits pretty frequently. Either way though, I'd always start out on the dressier side for the first few days and tone it down from there if you notice that the office vibe is more casual. And always keep a suit in your office in case something important comes up (although this seems rather unlikely for a SA).

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 am

bceagles182 wrote:And always keep a suit in your office in case something important comes up (although this seems rather unlikely for a SA).

All solid advice, but I'd say that you've got a helluva lot better shot of ending up in court or a deposition observing as a SA than you do as a junior associate at most law firms.

Keep at least one shirt, a tie and a suit at the firm, and make sure that's all versatile enough to wear with whatever belt/shoes you've got on that day. You don't want to be the clown with the black suit, light brown shoes and black belt at the deposition.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:14 am

mirodh wrote:Formal SA in Houston, TX

1. How many suits do I need for a full-formal firm? (I have 4, is this passable?)

2. Any tips for not sweating through my shirt every time I step outside? (I hear some people keep an extra shirt in the office, just in case, is this TCR?)

3. Are there any "summer suits" that are appropriate in such a conservative setting to stay cool during the summer?

TYIA

First, my condolences. Houston sucks in the summer (and arguably other times too, but whatever). I used to suit up in Austin quite a bit and it was similarly miserable as the temperature approaches 110.

1. Four is more than enough. Get ties and different shirts, especially since you'll be going through at least one a day, from the sounds of things.

2. Better deodorant/anti-antiperspirant is a must. Wear a solid cotton undershirt beneath your work shirt. Sounds counter intuitive, but the extra shirt can actually cut down on visible perspiration. Plus, your dress shirt won't stick to you.

3. Check out Jos. A. Bank for cheap summer suits. They make them in lighter materials and cuts than normal woolen suits. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I can comment on this. Anecdotally, I don't find my "summer weight" suit to be any lighter weight than my 4 seasons suits. Since it's a formal SA, I'd counsel against linen suits or seersucker suits.

mirodh

Postby mirodh » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:27 am

patrickd139 wrote:
mirodh wrote:Formal SA in Houston, TX

TYIA

First, my condolences. Houston sucks in the summer (and arguably other times too, but whatever). I used to suit up in Austin quite a bit and it was similarly miserable as the temperature approaches 110.

1. Four is more than enough. Get ties and different shirts, especially since you'll be going through at least one a day, from the sounds of things.

2. Better deodorant/anti-antiperspirant is a must. Wear a solid cotton undershirt beneath your work shirt. Sounds counter intuitive, but the extra shirt can actually cut down on visible perspiration. Plus, your dress shirt won't stick to you.

3. Check out Jos. A. Bank for cheap summer suits. They make them in lighter materials and cuts than normal woolen suits. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I can comment on this. Anecdotally, I don't find my "summer weight" suit to be any lighter weight than my 4 seasons suits. Since it's a formal SA, I'd counsel against linen suits or seersucker suits.

Thanks for the reply, I am a native Texas though so I operate under the assumption that an undershirt is required. Also, on deodorant, I have always been a "just grab and use whatever" kind of guy, is there any out there that really does work well all day and will keep me dry?

Return to “Legal Employment”