OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Plain black, unless you are interviewing for a job with Al Capone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:26 pm

I have what I'd call an "undergraduate nice" charcoal suit jacket that fits well and a matching Ralph Lauren pants - but the jacket isn't Ralph Lauren.

Do I need to go out and buy a Ralph Lauren suit jacket(what I'm really asking is, will interviewers be able to tell/count off for this).

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:29 pm

I had to pass on Meltons. My one gripe with them is that they ran REALLY narrow. And I don't really have a very wide foot. Ended up getting a pair of Florshiem's. Forget the style, but they ran a lot more natural, it felt like. When I was measured, I was told I had a normal width foot. Perhaps ALMOST wide, but definitely not wide at all.

Shoebuy is great, though. I love that site.

mrloblaw

Postby mrloblaw » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have what I'd call an "undergraduate nice" charcoal suit jacket that fits well and a matching Ralph Lauren pants - but the jacket isn't Ralph Lauren.

Do I need to go out and buy a Ralph Lauren suit jacket(what I'm really asking is, will interviewers be able to tell/count off for this).

While it's hypothetically possible for a jacket and pair of pants from different designers to match well enough that most people wouldn't notice, I wouldn't risk it. There's probably a 90% chance that it doesn't look right.

Also, I wouldn't just go buy a RL jacket, unless the pants were recently purchased, were sold as suiting separates, and you can still get the matching jacket. And even then, if the pants have been cleaned or frequently worn, there's a chance that the colors won't match. It's usually recommended that you not wear a suit's jacket without the pants (or vice versa) because you don't want them to look unmatched due to different levels of wear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:26 pm

At jos a bank now. Quoted 700 for the signature... Any way at all I can get something in the 300 range

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At jos a bank now. Quoted 700 for the signature... Any way at all I can get something in the 300 range

whoa, do not do that. Those are routinely sold for $200-250

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At jos a bank now. Quoted 700 for the signature... Any way at all I can get something in the 300 range

Jesus. Get the hell out of J. Banks and head to Saks Off Fifth or Nordstrom Rack.

gp86

Postby gp86 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:44 pm

turbotong wrote:I bought a pair of the allen edmonds. Damn, those are expensive. My advice is to go a half size smaller than what you're used to wearing.

For anyone else in the market for AEs, here's a last guide: http://sizeadvisors.com/blog/2011/11/10/review-allen-edmonds-shoe-sizing-guide/

I'm an Alden guy myself, but I can say that different models will have different lasts and it can take some trial and error to find the right size if you're ordering online.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:51 pm

gp86 wrote:
turbotong wrote:I bought a pair of the allen edmonds. Damn, those are expensive. My advice is to go a half size smaller than what you're used to wearing.

For anyone else in the market for AEs, here's a last guide: http://sizeadvisors.com/blog/2011/11/10/review-allen-edmonds-shoe-sizing-guide/

I'm an Alden guy myself, but I can say that different models will have different lasts and it can take some trial and error to find the right size if you're ordering online.

fyi for everyone looking into shoes, ive been very happy with my AE park ave.'s. everyone should own this style of shoe, and park ave.'s have basically been the standard in the industry for a long time.

if you are looking to buy a pair of shoes, and you don't already own a pair in this style, then you need to pick some up.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 pm

I highly recommend a Brooks Bros Fitzgerald suit, conservative and tailored well to fit an athletic build without being on the skinny/trendy side. As for the $900+ price tag, check out eBay to find them for a fraction on the price. It's probably the best out of 5 suits that I own, really nice quality

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:11 am

I bought the allen edmonds shoes. I noticed two things:
1. You need to buy a smaller size than you normally wear.
2. The heels click. Annoyingly. As if you were a girl in high heels. You need to install taps to be silent.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:34 pm

turbotong wrote:I bought the allen edmonds shoes. I noticed two things:
2. The heels click. Annoyingly. As if you were a girl in high heels. You need to install taps to be silent.

What do you mean "click?" A well-heeled man is going to make some noise when he walks, IMO.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:

What do you mean "click?" A well-heeled man is going to make some noise when he walks, IMO.

I agree, that noise is how I differentiate a nice shoe from a weak one.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I prefer the legal ninja approach of no noise.

Also, Faith, go back to Harvey. Anything else seems weird.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:47 pm

kalvano wrote:I prefer the legal ninja approach of no noise.

Also, Faith, go back to Harvey. Anything else seems weird.

Word, I've been a bit uncomfortable with the new 'tar anyway.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 pm

All is right with the world. I might even go back to my original one.

Blumpbeef

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Any alternatives to the Fitzgerald I should be looking at?

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Looking at this shoe to pair with my Navy and Grey suits on occasion:

http://www.theshoemart.com/allen-edmond ... provo.html

By the way -- not for callbacks or OCI. Just for general wear for a SA position.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:03 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

By "click" we mean CLICK. In fact, I've noticed the shoes are even louder than most women's heels. I don't know how it is possible.
Yes, take it to a cobbler to get some taps installed.
These shoes are also slippery as hell without taps. Slipped once on wet, unpolished, rough outdoor wood and almost fell 3 times on dry tile. Their design has no functional purpose, only style.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:54 pm

turbotong wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

By "click" we mean CLICK. In fact, I've noticed the shoes are even louder than most women's heels. I don't know how it is possible.
Yes, take it to a cobbler to get some taps installed.
These shoes are also slippery as hell without taps. Slipped once on wet, unpolished, rough outdoor wood and almost fell 3 times on dry tile. Their design has no functional purpose, only style.

:?

Pretty sure you are describing the sound of a good, well-soled shoe should sound. Sorry it is offensive to your ears. Also, never once slipped in a pair of dress shoes, and I own multiple pairs of AEs. Sorry to hear about your experience, but I don't think others share in it.

Maybe it's time to go get some big clunky rubber-soled Dockers so you don't fall down or make too much noise?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:59 pm

I'm pretty sure that clicking sound is normal and expected. Right now I just wear my Cole Haan & Johnston & Murphy shoes, but my dad just treated himself to a pair of AE's, and I think the stitching of it just seems a bit more solid and tight than the shoes I have. I guess that is what you are getting for the extra 50-60 bucks, so if it holds up longer, seems worth it, even if you are not used to the clicking noise.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm the same size in AE as I am in most other kinds of shoe, and really don't think that you can make blanket statements about the fit of shoes.

For instance, I know I'm fine in any 11.5 AE or J&M, which is the size I wear in all kinds of casual shoes; I wear size 12 in Bostonian, which is the only brand in which I wear 12; Cole Haans annoyingly rub on the top of my foot no matter what the size, so I don't buy them, but they're fine shoes if they fit you; if I wear anything made by Rockport, I will literally have blood running down my heel by the end of the day from where they will cut into the skin over my achilles (found that out the painful way, and, since then, notice the same rub trying on anything from the casual side of that brand); and so on.

Will any of that be true for anyone else? I presume not (otherwise, Rockport and Cole Haan would never sell a shoe to anyone; not that you should ever wear Rockports with a suit anyway). Just because AE fits big on somebody (or even a lot of folks) doesn't mean it won't be perfect for someone else, so ignore any advice you see online and try that shit out yourself. If you're dropping a couple hundred on some shoes, try the model out in person before ordering it.

-Pufer

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Pufer wrote:

I'm the same size in AE as I am in most other kinds of shoe, and really don't think that you can make blanket statements about the fit of shoes.

For instance, I know I'm fine in any 11.5 AE or J&M, which is the size I wear in all kinds of casual shoes; I wear size 12 in Bostonian, which is the only brand in which I wear 12; Cole Haans annoyingly rub on the top of my foot no matter what the size, so I don't buy them, but they're fine shoes if they fit you; if I wear anything made by Rockport, I will literally have blood running down my heel by the end of the day from where they will cut into the skin over my achilles (found that out the painful way, and, since then, notice the same rub trying on anything from the casual side of that brand); and so on.

Will any of that be true for anyone else? I presume not (otherwise, Rockport and Cole Haan would never sell a shoe to anyone; not that you should ever wear Rockports with a suit anyway). Just because AE fits big on somebody (or even a lot of folks) doesn't mean it won't be perfect for someone else, so ignore any advice you see online and try that shit out yourself. If you're dropping a couple hundred on some shoes, try the model out in person before ordering it.

-Pufer

Pufer-rific analysis as always

Lil Kev

Postby Lil Kev » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:56 am

Lil Kev wrote:Looking at this shoe to pair with my Navy and Grey suits on occasion:

By the way -- not for callbacks or OCI. Just for general wear for a SA position.

Any input on this, guys?

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:06 am

Lil Kev wrote:
Lil Kev wrote:Looking at this shoe to pair with my Navy and Grey suits on occasion:

Any input on this, guys?

Go with the Johnston & Murphy Melton cap-toe over that. For the same price range, it has better features (cap-toe and leather sole).

Disclaimer: I am NOT saying J&M> AE generally; just in this case.

Return to “Legal Employment”