OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:40 pm

top30man wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:What's all this about jos a banks not being as good as bb? I was thinking about hitting up their 70% off suits today.

Related note, I'm going for dark navy. Does the specific color of brown shoe I get to go with it matter too much? I'm sure they'll suggest something but I don't always trust their judgment.
Is Jos A Bank ever not having a >50% sale on at least one type of their clothing?
Haha this. They do sales all the time. I'd wait for the big sales. Look for the deal of the day if you only want one suit. In the last two weeks they have featured suits for cheaper than the current sale, including trios for 130 and signature suits for 170.
I've never shopped there and probably never well. I can never really tell what a "big sale" is, since their "retail prices" are such a smoke screen made to make people think they're getting a better deal than they actually are.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:07 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Yeah, right now JAB is having buy one suit, get 2 suits, two shirts, and two ties free.
Really? Does it vary by region? The thing I reported was from their website.

Except now I'm being made to question whether I should be purchasing from there at all.

There is a reason why they can sell their suits for $175. They are awful quality. But they'll last long enough for OCI / 2L summer, then you can afford some real suits.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:55 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Yeah, right now JAB is having buy one suit, get 2 suits, two shirts, and two ties free.

Except now I'm being made to question whether I should be purchasing from there at all.
I've seen the ads in SoCal. Don't know if it is nationwide.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:47 am

NoleinNY wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:

I've seen the ads in SoCal. Don't know if it is nationwide.
Was also the same in Texas - guess it WAS probably nationwide
Helmholtz wrote:
Is Jos A Bank ever not having a >50% sale on at least one type of their clothing?
Yes. Every once in a while, they will mail out Thank You Gift Cards (I've gotten them ranging from $20-$30) with the requirement that you spend at least the amount on the gift card. They are usually valid for 2-4 weeks. During those 2-4 weeks, almost nothing is on sale (but you go in thinking you've got a good deal b/c of the gift card)

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:30 pm

Question on shoes for first year interviews:

http://www.shoebuy.com/johnston-murphy- ... 2864/22864 (this is about as much as I want to spend)

http://www.shoebuy.com/bostonian-andover/131868/304851

http://www.shoebuy.com/florsheim-dailey/30808/30808 (these look like they have too much rubber on the soles)

I am leaning towards the Johnston Murphy's or the Bostonian's.

Going with a charcoal suit (obviously) and black Fossil briefcase.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Question on shoes for first year interviews:

http://www.shoebuy.com/johnston-murphy- ... 2864/22864 (this is about as much as I want to spend)

http://www.shoebuy.com/florsheim-dailey/30808/30808 (these look like they have too much rubber on the soles)

I have Bostonians that are pretty much the exact same as those and they are great. I bought those and a pair of Cole Haan shoes and they looked real sharp for interviews. You can't go wrong with any of these brands.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:34 pm

No briefcase. Padfolio.

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:41 pm

5ky wrote:No briefcase. Padfolio.
Agreed. Briefcase looks contrived. I used a padfolio with my school's name on it and a redweld with additional docs at OCI.

I'd go with shoe alternatives 1 or 3. Look more formal. Just make sure they match your belt.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:45 pm

5ky wrote:No briefcase. Padfolio.
Def agree with this. No one brings a briefcase to OCI interviews. Just the folio resume-holder thing to hold resumes and business cards.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks for the tip on the padfolio, then! I'll pick one up soon.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Oh, and since Google has not helped -- what the fuck is brushed veal?

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:01 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Oh, and since Google has not helped -- what the fuck is brushed veal?
It's used to make shoes that should not be worn at an interview or in a professional setting.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:02 pm

Lincoln wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Oh, and since Google has not helped -- what the fuck is brushed veal?
It's used to make shoes that should not be worn at an interview or in a professional setting.
Haha, thanks a lot. I even saw some men's clothing forum thing that had no idea what it was or not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:05 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Haha, thanks a lot. I even saw some men's clothing forum thing that had no idea what it was or not.
Actually, I may be wrong. Shoe alternative 1 looks fine; not what I was thinking of.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:05 pm

Lincoln wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Actually, I may be wrong. Shoe alternative 1 looks fine; not what I was thinking of.
Well, I don't think #1 was brushed veal. I just saw that fit/finish floating around on other shoes. Some are listed as: black, black brushed veal, bordeaux, bordeaux brushed veal. Stuff like that.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Lincoln wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Looking around the internet, "brushed veal" just seems like a marketing term; the shoes that came up when I searched for it looked pretty normal.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Brushed veal? Hmm, maybe I should get Italian food for dinner...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Bildungsroman wrote: Actually, I may be wrong. Shoe alternative 1 looks fine; not what I was thinking of.
Looking around the internet, "brushed veal" just seems like a marketing term; the shoes that came up when I searched for it looked pretty normal.[/quote]

This silly thing on Zappos said, "Brushed veal for added comfort".

Does sound tasty, though.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:12 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Are you sure? These cap toes, http://www.shoebuy.com/johnston-murphy- ... 2864/22864, are quite interview appropriate. "Brushed veal" is just a Johnston & Murphy marketing term for corrected grain leather, which is leather that has an artificially applied texture because the leather is too low quality to use its natural texture. You'll probably find it on any shoe in that price range.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Bronte wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Are you sure? These cap toes, http://www.shoebuy.com/johnston-murphy- ... 2864/22864, are quite interview appropriate. "Brushed veal" is just a Johnston & Murphy marketing term for corrected grain leather, which is leather that has an artificially applied texture because the leather is too low quality to use its natural texture. You'll probably find it on any shoe in that price range.
So is brushed veal, then, OK?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:08 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Bronte wrote:Are you sure? These cap toes, http://www.shoebuy.com/johnston-murphy- ... 2864/22864, are quite interview appropriate. "Brushed veal" is just a Johnston & Murphy marketing term for corrected grain leather, which is leather that has an artificially applied texture because the leather is too low quality to use its natural texture. You'll probably find it on any shoe in that price range.
Yeah it's fine. If you can wait, I would get the Allen Edmonds Park Avenues on sale at Nordstrom this summer for $200. Otherwise, having owned Bostonians, I can tell you that just about any shoe will be of a higher quality. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for them. What I'm trying to say is that I would go with the Johnston & Murphy out of the three mentioned above.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:31 am

Bronte wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
Bronte wrote:Are you sure? These cap toes, http://www.shoebuy.com/johnston-murphy- ... 2864/22864, are quite interview appropriate. "Brushed veal" is just a Johnston & Murphy marketing term for corrected grain leather, which is leather that has an artificially applied texture because the leather is too low quality to use its natural texture. You'll probably find it on any shoe in that price range.
Yeah it's fine. If you can wait, I would get the Allen Edmonds Park Avenues on sale at Nordstrom this summer for $200. Otherwise, having owned Bostonians, I can tell you that just about any shoe will be of a higher quality. I wouldn't pay more than $75 for them. What I'm trying to say is that I would go with the Johnston & Murphy out of the three mentioned above.
Much appreciated advice. I am leaning towards the J&Ms myself. The problem with shopping at Nordstrom's is that I need a 13E shoe. They tend not to stock 13s let alone wide.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 am

J&M makes a really good shoe for the price point. You can get better quality shoes, but not many for under $200.

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 am

joncrooshal wrote:Question on shoes for first year interviews:

The Meltons are much higher quality than the other two. Also ditch the briefcase and go with a plain black leather padfolio.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:58 am

FWIW, outside of NYC a black suit isn't as much of no-no. More important than charcoal or black is whether your suit is tailored and fits well. That's the key. I remember reading this and almost going out and buying a non-black suit at the last minute before my interviews last year, but I stuck with my perfectly fitting black suit and nobody looked at me like I was at a funeral.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”