OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bosque » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Whoops, that was me. Didn't mean to be anonymous.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby minnbills » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dude, those ARE off the rack suits. "Off the rack" is not a brand if that is what you were thinking, it refers to any suit you buy in a standard size, usually by pulling it off of a rack in a store (hence the name). This is in comparison to a made to measure or a bespoke suit, which are both made to your size after a tailor takes your measurements (the difference being made to measure has big parts of the suit already cut while the bespoke is trully from scratch).


Ah okay I thought "off the rack" meant there was little room for alteration.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bosque » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:57 pm

minnbills wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dude, those ARE off the rack suits. "Off the rack" is not a brand if that is what you were thinking, it refers to any suit you buy in a standard size, usually by pulling it off of a rack in a store (hence the name). This is in comparison to a made to measure or a bespoke suit, which are both made to your size after a tailor takes your measurements (the difference being made to measure has big parts of the suit already cut while the bespoke is trully from scratch).


Ah okay I thought "off the rack" meant there was little room for alteration.


No worries, you'll get it. I thought French cuffs referred to any white cuff on a non white shirt before I started learning this stuff.

Depending on where you go to law school, you might also be able to get a discount on a made to measure suit. Raja Fashions comes to my school and give us a pretty big discount, I got my interview suit from them for something like $350. They say it is bespoke, but I am pretty sure they are made to measure. I am really happy with it though, and I am planning on getting two more when they come back. I don't know what Pufer's opinion is on these type of shops (although I would be happy to hear it), but I've been happy with mine so far.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of firms are business casual. You will need a suit for court and for interviews, but you don't need to worry about building a large wardrobe of suits. One to two good suits by the beginning of 2L year will probably do you fine.

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby minnbills » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 am

Bosque wrote: One to two good suits by the beginning of 2L year will probably do you fine.


If companies come by and give good discounts like that I might as well just wait 'til I'm enrolled. I already have a nice navy sportcoat and a good pair of gray dress pants that can pretty much function as a suit, so if there are better deals to be had down the road I guess there's no reason to jump the gun.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:49 am

I have a post-offer visit coming up. (Yay!) The firm explicitly said there's no reason to wear a suit, so I'm going to wear just a shirt and trousers. Should I wear a tie?

(Firm is NYC, neither unusually formal not informal.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a post-offer visit coming up. (Yay!) The firm explicitly said there's no reason to wear a suit, so I'm going to wear just a shirt and trousers. Should I wear a tie?

(Firm is NYC, neither unusually formal not informal.)

No tie.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby quakeroats » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Stupid question: do you wear a suit jacket at the dinner table.


What's the alternative?


Taking off your jacket and putting it on your chair, of course


Then keep it on.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bosque » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a post-offer visit coming up. (Yay!) The firm explicitly said there's no reason to wear a suit, so I'm going to wear just a shirt and trousers. Should I wear a tie?

(Firm is NYC, neither unusually formal not informal.)

No tie.


Never wear a tie without a jacket. Looks silly.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:49 pm

minnbills wrote:The one that fit well was Hugo Boss (I hate that brand name) I just noticed the quality seemed to be much higher and even without alterations the fit was much much better. I was looking at Von Maur BTW.


Hugo Boss would be, like HSM, a brand that would be the next step up from a Lauren (to be clear, Lauren by Ralph Lauren has nothing at all to do with Ralph Lauren) or anything else in the $495-595 list range. I wouldn't pay much more than $300 for a Hugo Boss suit, though. They will definitely be available at Nordstrom Rack pretty frequently.

Von Maur (based on their website - it looks to be an upper midwest thing only and not anywhere I've ever lived) looks to be very Nordstrom-like in its suiting selection, but perhaps missing Nordstrom's upper end. Looks like a solid place.

minnbills wrote:Do you know when Brooks Bros. typically has a good sale? Unfortunately the twin cities doesn't seem to have many options. Most businesspeople I know usually pick up suits when they're in New York or Chicago rather than buy here.


The next two big BB sales are going to be at Thanksgiving (often actually on Thanksgiving, not Black Friday) and around Christmas sometime.

Bosque wrote:Depending on where you go to law school, you might also be able to get a discount on a made to measure suit. Raja Fashions comes to my school and give us a pretty big discount, I got my interview suit from them for something like $350. They say it is bespoke, but I am pretty sure they are made to measure. I am really happy with it though, and I am planning on getting two more when they come back. I don't know what Pufer's opinion is on these type of shops (although I would be happy to hear it), but I've been happy with mine so far.


If it's measured to you and it's good fabric, I say cool. That said, the AAAC forum absolutely hates Raja (but it sounds like they were all paying in the $600 range, so the law school deal at $350 may have made it worth it). Fit really is the story; a buddy of mine used a really well fitted bespoke charcoal suit he got in Iraq for like $40 (he was ex-military) all through OCI and he always looked great in his ventless suit of questionable fabric.

The only thing I worry about with a number of these deals is that they're just cutting up cheap OTR suits and then wildly upping the prices on them (a lot of big-city independent tailors who advertise "3 suits for $500" and the like do this). Doesn't sound like Raja does this (AAAC seems to imply that they're factory made fused suits made to your specifications).

minnbills wrote:If companies come by and give good discounts like that I might as well just wait 'til I'm enrolled. I already have a nice navy sportcoat and a good pair of gray dress pants that can pretty much function as a suit, so if there are better deals to be had down the road I guess there's no reason to jump the gun.


Your current outfit cannot pretty much function as a suit. Indeed, in a lot of places, navy sportcoat with gray dress pants is the uniform that courthouse security wears. Just as you don't want to dress like the waiter at a reception you're going to, you similarly don't want to dress like the asshole who delights in making lawyers take off their belts for no fucking reason when they go to the courthouse.

That said, this doesn't mean you need a suit all of a sudden. There are always good deals to be had. Especially with the possibility of weight gain/loss during 1L year, and the fact that you generally don't really need a suit until the second half of 1L year at most schools, it's never that bad an idea to wait. However, Bosque's is only the second school I've ever heard of that has a tailor show up and give them a good deal. Most law schools have a 10% discount off of full retail worked out with BB or something (i.e., some deal that's not at all worth it), so I would not count on law school getting you a good deal unless you're pretty lucky with what school you land at.

-Pufer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Posting Anon because of the odd circumstances...

I am interviewing next week with JAG and may wind up with either a cast or a boot (with sock) on my foot. What's protocol for that + suit? If I end up with a boot, should I wear dress socks? Am I overthinking it?

User avatar
GeePee
Posts: 1273
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby GeePee » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Wear the suit and roll your pant leg up as necessary (If it's a thin cast, just wear it over). And you're definitely overthinking things re: boot.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Posting Anon because of the odd circumstances...

I am interviewing next week with JAG and may wind up with either a cast or a boot (with sock) on my foot. What's protocol for that + suit? If I end up with a boot, should I wear dress socks? Am I overthinking it?


Yeah, probably overthinking it.

However, now that you've got me overthinking it, you're kinda' fucked with a cast. With the boot, I'd be going for trying to make it as unnoticeable as possible (I mean, it is a military job after all, and I imagine part of the interview is making sure you seem able-bodied enough to join up; if they don't happen to even notice that you're all gimpy, that can't count as a negative in the interviewers' impression of you). If you have a choice, black boot, wear the pant leg over it, and I'd probably go with a brand new black tube sock. You definitely don't want a white/colorful sock sticking out of it drawing attention. Also, given how thin dress socks are, they'd also probably be more noticeable sticking out the front than if you had a thicker, solid black athletic sock (in good shape, hence the new sock recommendation) concealing your skin tone and most of the lumpiness of your toes.

-Pufer

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Unitas » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:30 am

Puffer,

Is 1000 good for a made to measure suit from brooks brothers? Is it even worth it?

Buying a custom suit is more than just adding the best fitting suit to your closet - it's an experience. This season our custom department is offering a limited quantity of made-to-measure suits for the first time at only $1000. Each suit is made from soft 120s wool and available in your choice of solid navy or grey, navy or charcoal pinstripe, and tan or blue tickweave.

Purchase of this gift card includes 3 personalized fittings with a seasoned Brooks Brothers tailor at your local store. A Brooks Brothers custom specialist will contact you to set your first appointment. After the first fitting your suit will be hand-finished in the USA and delivered to your store in 5 weeks, upon which time you'll receive a second and third final fitting to ensure a perfect fit.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:36 pm

I wore french cuffs and brown shoes to a callback with a V5 firm that should have been way out of my reach. Got an offer. This stuff matters a lot less than people on here seem to make it. It appears that people in actual places of power are decidedly unPuferlike (shocking, I know, that they're not going to reject you based on your sock color or remember that you wore a patterned shirt while cursing your name under their breath).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wore french cuffs and brown shoes to a callback with a V5 firm that should have been way out of my reach. Got an offer. This stuff matters a lot less than people on here seem to make it. It appears that people in actual places of power are decidedly unPuferlike (shocking, I know, that they're not going to reject you based on your sock color or remember that you wore a patterned shirt while cursing your name under their breath).


I never followed the precise "rules" set out in this thread during OCI or callbacks. I wore pocket squares, brown shoes, pinstripes, patterned & colored shirts (gingham etc), pretty loud ties... I ended up getting CBs from every screener and offers from every CB. So I totally agree that this stuff really doesn't matter, at least at the nitpicky level that people have taken it to ITT. It is more a matter of being generally well-dressed and presentable.

I do agree, though, that for people without much experience in dressing for business, the advice in here is solid and a great place to start.

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Pufer » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Unitas wrote:Is 1000 good for a made to measure suit from brooks brothers? Is it even worth it?


It's probably worth it in terms of the actual suit. Whether it's worth it for you is another matter altogether. If you've just graduated (or are a 3L with a big money job lined up for next year) and you both can afford it and want the suit, cool. It's not at all necessary for OCI or law school, however. BB has custom shop events like this a couple times every year (usually around the beginning of spring and around the beginning of autumn, like now), so you can afford to wait.

Anonymous User wrote:It appears that people in actual places of power are decidedly unPuferlike.


I interview now. :D

-Pufer

User avatar
tfer2222
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:20 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby tfer2222 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Pufer wrote:
Unitas wrote:Is 1000 good for a made to measure suit from brooks brothers? Is it even worth it?


It's probably worth it in terms of the actual suit. Whether it's worth it for you is another matter altogether. If you've just graduated (or are a 3L with a big money job lined up for next year) and you both can afford it and want the suit, cool. It's not at all necessary for OCI or law school, however. BB has custom shop events like this a couple times every year (usually around the beginning of spring and around the beginning of autumn, like now), so you can afford to wait.


Definitely wait for the sales. Otherwise, BB suits are the freaking bomb. I'm getting at least 2 during next sale.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby daesonesb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:15 pm

[quote="Helmholtz"][quote="alumniguy"][quote="Helmholtz"][quote="daesonesb"]
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
alumniguy wrote:I actually would wear these to OCI. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these shoes. That is a classic style. The color is a perfect brown to go with a navy suit. It is certainly a more fashion forward look, but nothing out of the ordinary.


Respectfully disagree, but I guess there is a chance that all the OCI interviewers won't have a problem with them too.


I remembered this and wanted to reprise it on here: My light brown shoes did not hamper my OCI results in the slightest. In fact, no one noticed except other students, who said: "nice shoes bro. I don't know if I could pull of the light belt light shoes combo."


Nor did my skinny ties, patterned shirts, or beard. Even in NYC/DC.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Either you guys had a 100% CB rate and 100% offer rate, or you have an uncanny ability to discern causation. Attire doesn't matter that much. It's not that big of a deal. Grades are the number one factor. However, if you're purchasing clothes for OCI, this thread contains good advice as to the optimal attire. It's that simple.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby daesonesb » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:06 pm

[quote="Bronte"]
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273479
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Bronte wrote:Either you guys had a 100% CB rate and 100% offer rate, or you have an uncanny ability to discern causation. Attire doesn't matter that much. It's not that big of a deal. Grades are the number one factor. However, if you're purchasing clothes for OCI, this thread contains good advice as to the optimal attire. It's that simple.


For me it was the former. Grades and some level of social aptitude are what really matter, but being presentable is important too. I think the point is that all the "oh noes you have to be totally conservatively dressed" talk is totally overblown. Looking sharp is looking sharp, and firms don't care if you wear a gingham shirt.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:17 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
alumniguy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I would not wear those to OCI.


I actually would wear these to OCI. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these shoes. That is a classic style. The color is a perfect brown to go with a navy suit. It is certainly a more fashion forward look, but nothing out of the ordinary.


Respectfully disagree, but I guess there is a chance that all the OCI interviewers won't have a problem with them too.


I remembered this and wanted to reprise it on here: My light brown shoes did not hamper my OCI results in the slightest. In fact, no one noticed except other students, who said: "Nice shoes bro. I don't know if I could pull of the light belt light shoes combo though."

It really wasn't a bold move at all. OCI clothes only matter if you wear something dumb like an argyle shirt or a tan suit.


So I said that I would not wear those shoes to OCI. And then I acknowledged the chance that every single OCI interviewer wouldn't have any kind of issue with them. For what it's worth, I'm solidly in the "clothes don't really matter that much as long as you look well-put-together and professional" camp.

I did much better than my grades warranted.


You would have done even better without those shoes :wink:

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby theavrock » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:20 pm

So it seems that the consensus is to stay away from the pinstripe.

I get that you don't want to be this guy
http://www.bestylish.org/blog/wp-conten ... e-suit.jpg

But is this guy a no go too?
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... size=#null

I'm inquiring about a subtle pinstripe that is the same color as the suit. Dark navy with a lighter navy/blue pinstripe for instance as opposed to the loud dark navy with white pinstripe.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby kaiser » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:36 pm

Thin pinstripe is fine. Just don't make it too thick or gaudy. You don't want to look like something out of a gangster movie. But absolutely a thin pinstripe is acceptable.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.