OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:pocket square for interviews, anyone?

If you're gonna do it, wear a white square fold (http://www.brooksbrothers.com/fold-a-po ... d-fold.tem). However, I would recommend against it. It's one of those things where it just really cannot help you, and this time there's no "but this is all I own excuse" since its completely optional.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:35 pm

Advice needed: I'm about 6'3", 203. (Broad shoulders, smaller waist but definitely not all muscle). I need a new suit. I currently have a grey pinstripe Jones New York 42L that was tailored when I was stocky 212 (and fits like a sack), and a black Express suit 42L which was tailored when I was a skinny 195 than I am now (and feels a hair tight). Probably going to get a non-pinstripe grey or a navy blue suit.

Any recommended brands? I'm probably going to an outlet here in LA.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:46 pm

NoleinNY wrote:Advice needed: I'm about 6'3", 203. (Broad shoulders, smaller waist but definitely not all muscle). I need a new suit. I currently have a grey pinstripe Jones New York 42L that was tailored when I was stocky 212 (and fits like a sack), and a black Express suit 42L which was tailored when I was a skinny 195 than I am now (and feels a hair tight). Probably going to get a non-pinstripe grey or a navy blue suit.

Depends on your budget, but if you're going to outlets I think Brooks Bros. outlets are a good place to start. (Note that they do not typically sell their flagship line, the 1818, at these stores. The 1818 says so on the inner breast pocket, and is a $1000 suit at sticker.)

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Bronte wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:Advice needed: I'm about 6'3", 203. (Broad shoulders, smaller waist but definitely not all muscle). I need a new suit. I currently have a grey pinstripe Jones New York 42L that was tailored when I was stocky 212 (and fits like a sack), and a black Express suit 42L which was tailored when I was a skinny 195 than I am now (and feels a hair tight). Probably going to get a non-pinstripe grey or a navy blue suit.

Depends on your budget, but if you're going to outlets I think Brooks Bros. outlets are a good place to start. (Note that they do not typically sell their flagship line, the 1818, at these stores. The 1818 says so on the inner breast pocket, and is a $1000 suit at sticker.)

Budget is no more than 600. (lower, the better). Thankfully I have a nice pair of shoes, a good tie, shirt, etc.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:20 pm

For cheap, good quality shirts that need very little care check out stafford super shirts at JC Penney.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Last edited by barrydukakis on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:For cheap, good quality shirts that need very little care check out stafford super shirts at JC Penney.

I'll +1 this so you don't get made fun of alone. For cheap shirts, they're really quite nice.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Why don't you just get one of the ones the already had tailored taken in or let out? That is the cheapest option...

Unless of course you really just want an excuse to buy a new suit, in which case go for it.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:47 pm

Last edited by barrydukakis on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:04 pm

FWIW, I've also heard decent things about the "American Living" collection at JCP. Supposedly designed by/a replication of Ralph Lauren's traditional American style.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:06 pm

So, there's a firm. Let's call it, say, Gwynne Shmashmanuel. Fancies itself unfancy.

Let's say it tells you in its CB confirmation, direct quote, "We recommend dressing in business casual attire for your callback interview but suits are ok too."

I don't mind wearing suits. But they "recommend" that I do not. What to do?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:11 pm

Show up in your very best business casual, unless you are so freaked out by the prospect of wearing a suit that you won't interview properly. (Anon b/c I also am interviewing with Gwynne)

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, there's a firm. Let's call it, say, Gwynne Shmashmanuel. Fancies itself unfancy.

Let's say it tells you in its CB confirmation, direct quote, "We recommend dressing in business casual attire for your callback interview but suits are ok too."

I would say at the most wear a suit with no tie and at the least wear khakis and leather sole loafers. I would probably go with a navy jacket, khakis, and captoes with no tie.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:14 pm

Bosque wrote:Why don't you just get one of the ones the already had tailored taken in or let out? That is the cheapest option...

Unless of course you really just want an excuse to buy a new suit, in which case go for it.

Black is supposedly a big no-no; the grey is ugly as sin (I bought it when I trusted the advice of men's wearhouse salespeople.) 2 years and sartorial education later...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Bronte wrote:I would say at the most wear a suit with no tie and at the least wear khakis and leather sole loafers. I would probably go with a navy jacket, khakis, and captoes with no tie.

Thanks (also thanks to anon poster).

Good ideas, both. I'd forgotten that I have 1 more screening interview tomorrow. I'll be wearing it anyway, so, suit + tie it is.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, there's a firm. Let's call it, say, Gwynne Shmashmanuel. Fancies itself unfancy.

I would say at the most wear a suit with no tie and at the least wear khakis and leather sole loafers. I would probably go with a navy jacket, khakis, and captoes with no tie.

That exact outfit has been my go-to for firm receptions, and will continue to be my go-to for any biz-cas callbacks (hopefully I get some).

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:06 pm

If it was ANYONE else but the firm I am pretty sure you mean, I would say wear the suit anyway. But considering the firm... you might even go no jacket. They are hardcore about their casualness.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 pm

NoleinNY wrote:
Bosque wrote:Why don't you just get one of the ones the already had tailored taken in or let out? That is the cheapest option...

Black is supposedly a big no-no; the grey is ugly as sin (I bought it when I trusted the advice of men's wearhouse salespeople.) 2 years and sartorial education later...

I'm actually about to pick up a suit from men's wearhouse. What in particular should I not trust about their advice?
Last edited by TatteredDignity on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:52 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:

I'm actually about to pick up a suit from men's wear house. What in particular should I not trust about their advice?

Anything that contradicts the collective TLS wisdom.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Bosque wrote:If it was ANYONE else but the firm I am pretty sure you mean, I would say wear the suit anyway. But considering the firm... you might even go no jacket. They are hardcore about their casualness.

It's Quinn. They supposedly work in flip-flops, so I don't think going without a jacket is going to hurt.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:

I'm actually about to pick up a suit from men's wear house. What in particular should I not trust about their advice?

Anything that contradicts the collective TLS wisdom.

Well, this thread is pretty long, but I'm doing my best to work my way through it.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:12 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
Well, this thread is pretty long, but I'm doing my best to work my way through it.

Basics:

Don't get pinstripes, get a solid navy or solid charcoal, wear a white shirt and a fairly conservative tie. Wear black shoes and a black belt. Don't wear cuff links or get shirts with french chuffs. Wear a watch if you have one as long as it's chrome or matches your belt/shoes if possible. Get the suit tailored so it fits you well.

For instance, this is a solid look for an interview:
--ImageRemoved--

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Except for that tie. Wear a roughly 3.5 inch wide tie.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:

Basics:

Don't get pinstripes, get a solid navy or solid charcoal, wear a white shirt and a fairly conservative tie. Wear black shoes and a black belt. Don't wear cuff links or get shirts with french chuffs. Wear a watch if you have one as long as it's chrome or matches your belt/shoes if possible. Get the suit tailored so it fits you well.

For instance, this is a solid look for an interview:
--ImageRemoved--

Pretty much this. ^^^

OLNewbie: 2009, I was looking to get a part time job/internship to hold me over until I started law school in Fall 2010. I told them "I am looking for a suit I can wear for interviews." They had me try on a few suits, none of which looked particularly good. The only decent one was out of my price range. Then the sales guy pulls out this charcoal pin stripe suit. He told me "You want to exude confidence in an interview environment." Talked a lot of BS, but it worked. I thought the suit looked OK on me and didn't know any different.

Even if I got it tailored to fit my new body shape, it would still look like a cheap, schlumpy non-conservative suit.

Moral of the story: educate yourself, shop around, weigh cost/benefit of your best options, and buy the suit you need.

Yes, I am aware of the irony of telling someone to educate themselves and shop around after asking a question about where to get a suit for my previously mentioned body-type...

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:51 am

0L Newbie (and anyone else), if you want to do this right as cheaply as possible:

1) Go to the nearest Brooks Brothers outlet near you. Buy two 346-stretch suits for $549, one navy, one charcoal. These suits are much better quality than Jos A Bank for the same price, and especially better than Mens Wearhouse-- they just aren't double canvassed, so they wont last 15 years. Get measured for a dress shirt, don't buy one there.

2) Take your Brooks Brothers suits to a normal BB store, they will have a tailor option that is high quality and inexpensive-- they wont overcharge like most places because they figured that you have purchased one of the more expensive suits and have rolled it into the price. My tailor was shocked that I paid "500 per suit," actually I paid 250 per suit (but didn't have the heart to tell him).

3) Find a Van Huesen outlet, or go online to a van heusen store (or amazon works too). Buy white or light blue dress shirts, no patterns or stripes, for around $21 each, using the measurements BB gave you. If you are really skinny or fat, buy the regular oxford shirts, they will make you look bigger, or conversely hide your curves. If you are in the middle (slightly overweight or buff), buy the fitted shirts because they will fit correctly. Either pointed or fashion spread collar should work, don't buy normal spread collars-- they are not conservative enough.

4) Go to the Nordstrom Rack and either buy Allen Edmonds Cap Toe Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue black shoes for around $205 on discount from $330, or if you want cheaper, buy Cole Haan cap toe, non square toe, black, lace ups for around $100. Also, while you are at the rack, buy cheap dress socks that match your suit pants or shoes, and buy a black belt.

5) Go to http://www.thetiebar.com. Buy "traditional" (non-skinny) red or blue or mixture silk ties that are striped or dotted for $15 each.

Get a watch if you want.

The end.

Return to “Legal Employment”