OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Helmholtz

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:42 pm

traehekat wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Has anyone ordered ties from thetiebar.com before? Every tie is $15, but I'm wondering how the quality is.

They're excellent for the money.

If you are shopping for OCI I recommend just spending the money and getting a truly quality tie or two. Once you have an offer in hand and need to start building a larger collection then sure, go for places like thetiebar and save some money.

The ties I've got from thetiebar.com are pretty much going to be indistinguishable from the ties I've paid $50-$100+ for (at least from the point of the view of the interviewer—the story might be different if he yanked it off my neck to inspect it). I own ties at many points on the price spectrum—from Banana Republic to Brooks Brothers to YSL. There's a good chance that I'll be wearing ties from thetiebar.com during a lot of my OCI interviews/callbacks. I would recommend doing the opposite: Buy ties from thetiebar.com now when you're a poor student and wait until you're raking in six figures before dropping money on Burberrys or Thomas Pinks or Canalis.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:44 pm

MTC87 wrote:Can anyone recommend a designer that makes dress shirts that would fit someone who wears a 40L suit, with a 31/32 waist? I'm having a hell of a time finding shirts that I can actually button at the neck, don't feel incredibly tight around the chests/shoulders, and don't billow out around my waist.

http://www.tailorthreads.com

Or if you can find them on sale, Hugo Boss slim fit shirts are slimmer than most other slim fits. They might work.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 pm

What are some peoples thoughts on appropriate folders/binders/portfolios/etc? I need to safely and professionally deliver each one of my interviewers a copy of my resume, a writing sample, and a transcript, which adds to about 10 pages per employer.

In some cases I have multiple interviews back to back with no way to restock, so I need something thick enough to handle a decent amount of paper. Solutions? I need it sleek, and classy, and big enough to fit several pages?

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:59 pm

Bronte wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Has anyone ordered ties from thetiebar.com before? Every tie is $15, but I'm wondering how the quality is.

They're excellent for the money.

Great to hear. Just noticed that their physical store is only 10 minutes away from my house. Definitely going to check it out next week.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Cupidity wrote:What are some peoples thoughts on appropriate folders/binders/portfolios/etc? I need to safely and professionally deliver each one of my interviewers a copy of my resume, a writing sample, and a transcript, which adds to about 10 pages per employer.

In some cases I have multiple interviews back to back with no way to restock, so I need something thick enough to handle a decent amount of paper. Solutions? I need it sleek, and classy, and big enough to fit several pages?

It's called a "padfolio" (unfortunately the worst named product ever): http://www.amazon.com/Markings-C-R-Gibs ... 742&sr=8-3, http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/R ... oduct.html.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Bronte wrote:
Cupidity wrote:What are some peoples thoughts on appropriate folders/binders/portfolios/etc? I need to safely and professionally deliver each one of my interviewers a copy of my resume, a writing sample, and a transcript, which adds to about 10 pages per employer.

It's called a "padfolio" (unfortunately the worst named product ever): http://www.amazon.com/Markings-C-R-Gibs ... 742&sr=8-3, http://www.overstock.com/Luggage-Bags/R ... oduct.html.

Does anybody else's school provide these to the students? Wondering about the quality of the school freebie or whether I should spring for something higher up in the quality departement.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Helmholtz wrote:The ties I've got from thetiebar.com are pretty much going to be indistinguishable from the ties I've paid $50-$100+ for (at least from the point of the view of the interviewer—the story might be different if he yanked it off my neck to inspect it). I own ties at many points on the price spectrum—from Banana Republic to Brooks Brothers to YSL. There's a good chance that I'll be wearing ties from thetiebar.com during a lot of my OCI interviews/callbacks. I would recommend doing the opposite: Buy ties from thetiebar.com now when you're a poor student and wait until you're raking in six figures before dropping money on Burberrys or Thomas Pinks or Canalis.

Yeah buying a spectrum of colors in basic patterns from thetiebar.com is probably one of the best ways to start a tie collection. There's much better ways to spend $150 than on a tie at this stage in our careers.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Do you guys think the tiebar ties are superior to the many $15-20 Calvin Klein/Tommy Hilfiger, etc... ties you can pick up at Nordstrom Rack, etc...

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:26 pm

I have about 30 ties, and just bought three from tiebar. I don't think I could tell a difference between them.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:14 pm

5ky wrote:I have about 30 ties, and just bought three from tiebar. I don't think I could tell a difference between them.

Ties are hard to judge from a distance. Shoes on the other hand...

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:38 pm

quakeroats wrote:
5ky wrote:I have about 30 ties, and just bought three from tiebar. I don't think I could tell a difference between them.

How do you tell the difference between $40 shoes picked up at Ross and $250 shoes?

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:02 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

How do you tell the difference between $40 shoes picked up at Ross and $250 shoes?

Which pair looks better to you?

--ImageRemoved--

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:23 am

TaipeiMort wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

$40 shoes will never have a leather sole, and the material will look bulky and cheesy. $250 shoes will usually at least have a leather sole, and often times are made out of quite good quality leather.

EDIT: quakeroats' pictures do a pretty good job illustrating this point.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:I decided to buy two Brooks Brothers' 346 strech suits from their outlet store. I walked out the door for two for $516. While they are not the same quality as the 1818s by a long shot (not made by the same people), I believe that they are a much better value than comparable JOsABank or Mens Wearhouse suits. I liked the 97% wool, 3% lycra (which gives them a stretch feeling). They are also more conservatively cut IMO than many of Brooks Brothers' Golden Fleece and 1818 offerings.

They are pretty good OCI suits for now. We'll see if they wear out.

Also, if anyone does stop by a Brooks Brothers outlet, there are occasional Golden Fleece offerings that are on huge discount (none of them that they had would fit me) but, it can save you 1000 dollars if you buy there.

FWIW, I have two of these that have held up well all summer and still look great. Probably the best fitting suits ive found so far (even with tailoring).

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:07 am

blowhard wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I decided to buy two Brooks Brothers' 346 strech suits from their outlet store. I walked out the door for two for $516. While they are not the same quality as the 1818s by a long shot (not made by the same people), I believe that they are a much better value than comparable JOsABank or Mens Wearhouse suits. I liked the 97% wool, 3% lycra (which gives them a stretch feeling). They are also more conservatively cut IMO than many of Brooks Brothers' Golden Fleece and 1818 offerings.

They are pretty good OCI suits for now. We'll see if they wear out.

Also, if anyone does stop by a Brooks Brothers outlet, there are occasional Golden Fleece offerings that are on huge discount (none of them that they had would fit me) but, it can save you 1000 dollars if you buy there.

FWIW, I have two of these that have held up well all summer and still look great. Probably the best fitting suits ive found so far (even with tailoring).

yeah i just bought a BB 346 stretch, very happy with it (and glad to hear it holds up!).

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:23 am

Ouch. Just dropped $275 to re-tailor my two suits before OCI. Hopefully that loan money comes in before Sept. 1.

xcountryjunkie

Postby xcountryjunkie » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 am

What are everyone's thoughts on tie knots? I've always been partial to the Windsor. Is that too flashy? Perhaps go more low-key with the Half Windsor or the generic Four in Hand?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:10 am

xcountryjunkie wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on tie knots? I've always been partial to the Windsor. Is that too flashy? Perhaps go more low-key with the Half Windsor or the generic Four in Hand?

I think you're fine to go with whatever you'd like as long as it's well-tied and fits the spread of your collar (and the shape of your face according to some people, but I think that's going a bit a too far).

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 am

Anyone know any good shoe sales (for black dress shoes) going on at the moment? I'm looking to spend $150-$200. It's the last bit of OCI wardrobe I need, so I'm hoping I didn't miss out on EVERY summer sale.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

Kretzy wrote:Anyone know any good shoe sales (for black dress shoes) going on at the moment? I'm looking to spend $150-$200. It's the last bit of OCI wardrobe I need, so I'm hoping I didn't miss out on EVERY summer sale.

Good shoes will last decades. Double (or triple) your budget and you'll find a better deal. If you want to be cheap about it, buy shoes at a store with a forgiving return policy (Nordstrom) and take them back once OCI ends.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:07 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Anyone know any good shoe sales (for black dress shoes) going on at the moment? I'm looking to spend $150-$200. It's the last bit of OCI wardrobe I need, so I'm hoping I didn't miss out on EVERY summer sale.

Good shoes will last decades. Double (or triple) your budget and you'll find a better deal. If you want to be cheap about it, buy shoes at a store with a forgiving return policy (Nordstrom) and take them back once OCI ends.

Thanks, but wasn't my question. I own several very nice pairs of shoes, none are black. I am looking for a pair of black shoes that will last several years, not decades. I don't need to spend $600 on shoes with my current budget.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Kretzy wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Thanks, but wasn't my question. I own several very nice pairs of shoes, none are black. I am looking for a pair of black shoes that will last several years, not decades. I don't need to spend $600 on shoes with my current budget.

It's been brought up a couple times in the thread, but if you have a Nordstrom Rack near you they have some Allen Edmonds for 200. I imagine that includes black ones...

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:16 pm

Kretzy wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Find a Cole Haan outlet if you can.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:22 pm

^ Thank you both!

lostpike

Postby lostpike » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:32 pm

How do you tell I suit will fit well before you have it tailored?

Return to “Legal Employment”