OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Helmholtz

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:28 pm

romothesavior wrote:I agree that the "WHITE SHIRTS ONLY!" thing is a bit overdone (and I'm an extremely conservative dresser). That said, not wanting to work at a firm of hundreds of people because one particular person has a problem with pale blue shirts is silly.

Chances are, if one person gets his panties in a wad over a pale blue shirt, he's not the only one at that firm, and it probably says something about the firm having that guy as a gatekeeper. This is all extremely hypothetical, btw, because I seriously doubt that any biglaw interviewer actually would hold a pale blue shirt against you.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:31 pm

Pufer's advice is good because its "you can't go wrong wearing this." For people that know nothing about what to wear to an interview and just want to know what to buy so they won't look stupid, it's perfect. Yes you could stray from the advice a little and wear a blue shirt if you want to. But some people don't want to challenge conventions, they just want to know what's safe.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Did Pufer actually say powder blue wasn't okay? I thought everyone was on the same page that white or powder blue are the two acceptable shirt colors for interviews.

As for the thread recurring to a discussion of what's conservative enough for OCI, I'm probably as guilty of that as anyone else, but the reason it keeps coming up is that it was the original topic of this thread and that people keep bringing it up.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Bronte wrote:Did Pufer actually say powder blue wasn't okay?

I specifically remember him saying that you shouldn't wear a light blue shirt to an interview. But whatever.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Also the implication that thin, barely visible pinstripes are not "conservative" is a bit absurd.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Pufer's advice is good because its "you can't go wrong wearing this." For people that know nothing about what to wear to an interview and just want to know what to buy so they won't look stupid, it's perfect. Yes you could stray from the advice a little and wear a blue shirt if you want to. But some people don't want to challenge conventions, they just want to know what's safe.

+1, this was my thinking. If you're shopping for interview attire with the goal of simply putting together a safe/appropriate outfit and moving on (which seems to be a pretty common goal), then Pufer's post is right on the money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:15 pm

goodolgil wrote:Also the implication that thin, barely visible pinstripes are not "conservative" is a bit absurd.

Absolutely. In fact, I wore a thinly-pinstriped suit over my pale blue shirt the other day. Once again, the interviewer was focused on my resume, personality, etc. He didn't care about the thin pinstripe on my suit. Again, its all about staying in the realm of professional and acceptable. Those with half a brain can perceive the boundary. The "circle" of acceptable attire is sort of like a dartboard. A plain white shirt and solid-colored suit is firmly in the bullseye center of that circle, in that of course it is within the safe bounds of acceptability. But that doesn't mean there isn't more within the circle.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:16 pm

Just picked up two ties from the tie bar. I'm no expert on men's fashion, but they seem great for the money.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:19 pm

Wait blue shirts aren't okay?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Wait blue shirts aren't okay?

They are fine.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

traehekat wrote:need shoes, don't want to spend more than $150 (although i know i should).

suggestions?

One thing that I think I've noticed is that there doesn't seem to be too much difference between $150 shoes and $80 and $100 shoes. It seems like you have to get up above $200 or so to get real quality.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:21 pm

beachbum wrote:Just picked up two ties from the tie bar. I'm no expert on men's fashion, but they seem great for the money.

They are, but they're becoming popular to the point of me seeing them all the time around NYC. I personally don't give a crap, but maybe if you're the type of person who doesn't like others to know he's sporting a $15 tie? I'unno.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:23 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
beachbum wrote:Just picked up two ties from the tie bar. I'm no expert on men's fashion, but they seem great for the money.

They are, but they're becoming popular to the point of me seeing them all the time around NYC. I personally don't give a crap, but maybe if you're the type of person who doesn't like others to know he's sporting a $15 tie? I'unno.

How do you recognize them? Seems like it's hard to tell one pindot from another. I only buy their super traditional ties because their more complex patterns are a little bleh.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Bronte wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

How do you recognize them? Seems like it's hard to tell one pindot from another. I only buy their super traditional ties because their more complex patterns are a little bleh.

I feel like I have enough of them to distinguish the colors and the placement of the dots. That, and I'm familiar with how they tie into a knot and their overall thickness. I have done way too much tie shopping.

lostpike

Postby lostpike » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 pm

Could someone post a link to Pufers megapost? I cant seem to find a link to it that works...

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:37 pm

Random thought here, but I would recommend getting some metal collar stays, like these: http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Collar-Stay ... 464&sr=8-4. They're great. They help keep your collar stiff, don't get fucked up if they accidentally go in the drier, and are easier to keep track of. They also really improve the no tie look if you ever go with that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:10 am

At the grand opening of the outlets in OKC which of these are good deals? Also there is no sales tax

Perry Ellis Suits $100

Jos A Bank suits 169. (For 2) or 1 (199)

Saks Fifth Suits 449 (was 1200)

Saks Fifth slim fit dress shits 34.99

Haggar dress shirts 20.00

Brooks Bros suits 359-599

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:At the grand opening of the outlets in OKC which of these are good deals? Also there is no sales tax

Perry Ellis Suits $100

This is entirely dependent on what line the suits are.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:15 am

should be getting suit back from the tailor today. a bit nervous, even though I didn't do anything major.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:17 am

traehekat wrote:should be getting suit back from the tailor today. a bit nervous, even though I didn't do anything major.

Just make sure that you try it on before you pay for it / leave the store.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:25 am

beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the grand opening of the outlets in OKC which of these are good deals? Also there is no sales tax

Perry Ellis Suits $100

Classic Collection for Jos A Bank

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Perry Ellis Suits $100

My Jos A Bank only has pleated pants, and they are MASSIVE pleats. It looks like I'm smuggling a head of cabbage in my boxers. (Suit seperates excluded)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 pm

JosABank Signature 299 executive 199 thoughts?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:23 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Perry Ellis Suits $100

My Jos A Bank only has pleated pants, and they are MASSIVE pleats. It looks like I'm smuggling a head of cabbage in my boxers. (Suit seperates excluded)

God that's awful. Only experience I ever had at Jos A Bank was a guy who spent 45 minutes telling me that "the only suits with any quality have pleats" and chastising me for wanting flat-front pants. Keep in mind he was wearing (what looked to me like) a five-button zoot-suit.

Surprisingly, I've yet to return.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:28 pm

I have to say, I sort of dig pleats.

That said, I would be totally annoyed with a sales staff with that mentality.

Return to “Legal Employment”