OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beach_terror

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby beach_terror » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:23 pm

GeePee wrote:What are your opinions on slightly longer jackets that are still perfectly tailored (drape 1-2 inches below the buttocks)? My charcoal suit is that size and I think it looks great (especially considering that I'm quite tall), but I was just polling the gallery to see how you all feel.

I'm 6'4 and I don't like the longer jacket look/feel. If you think it looks great and you feel confident rocking in, then that's all that really matters.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:
GeePee wrote:What are your opinions on slightly longer jackets that are still perfectly tailored (drape 1-2 inches below the buttocks)? My charcoal suit is that size and I think it looks great (especially considering that I'm quite tall), but I was just polling the gallery to see how you all feel.

I'm 6'4 and I don't like the longer jacket look/feel. If you think it looks great and you feel confident rocking in, then that's all that really matters.

http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/suiti ... ted-length

It's hard to say from your description how long the jacket really is, but I think as long as the jacket doesn't go too far past your knuckles when your arms are hanging at your sides then it is totally fine.

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:16 am

Bronte wrote:
Emma. wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So if you have one totally conservative (charcoal solid) and one slightly less conservative (navy with very thin and light pinestripes that are close together) you guys would suggest wearing the former every day for OCI?

Not if it means not getting your suit pressed... If you have back to back interviews every day for a week you are going to need to get the suit pressed at some point in there or it is going to look like shit.

I just pulled a suit out of my closet that I've been wearing for probably three weeks without getting it pressed or dry cleaned. It has no wrinkles. Admittedly, I don't wear it on back to back days, and often take my jacket off when I'm sitting down, but I think you can make it through OCI with one suit. You can also steam it yourself, no? It's nice to wear a different suit to callbacks, but not mandatory as I doubt many will remember what you wore.

So if you have one Navy suit and one lighter gray suit, but the lighter gray suit is better fitting (tailor made)... should I alternate between the suits? Only wear the Navy?

Oh and should I switch to the gray for callback? Not sure how accepted a lighter gray suit is in the first place for OCI.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:31 am

Na_Swatch wrote:So if you have one Navy suit and one lighter gray suit, but the lighter gray suit is better fitting (tailor made)... should I alternate between the suits? Only wear the Navy?

Oh and should I switch to the gray for callback? Not sure how accepted a lighter gray suit is in the first place for OCI.

Medium gray suits have been a point of contention ITT. It depends on how poorly tailored the navy suit is, but assuming its passable I would go with the navy if or until it gets wrinkled and then switch to the gray.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:33 am

Looking for a solid navy, two-button, very basic suit for OCI. Looking to spend no more than $500. Somebody point me in the right direction, bonus points for links.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 am

romothesavior wrote:Looking for a solid navy, two-button, very basic suit for OCI. Looking to spend no more than $500. Somebody point me in the right direction, bonus points for links.

I can't attest to the quality of these suits, but they were given top marks in a WSJ article recently, ranked well above their class. http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P2954/Suit?subgroup=1. It can be risky to order online though. Otherwise, you're just going to have to shop around. You're cutting it pretty close for OCI this year, especially when you take tailoring into account.

Edit: that suitsupply suit is a pretty light navy too, so I don't know. Just throwing it out there. This one's darker: http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P1105- ... ter_19=575.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:50 am

Bronte wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Looking for a solid navy, two-button, very basic suit for OCI. Looking to spend no more than $500. Somebody point me in the right direction, bonus points for links.

I can't attest to the quality of these suits, but they were given top marks in a WSJ article recently, ranked well above their class. http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P2954/Suit?subgroup=1. It can be risky to order online though. Otherwise, you're just going to have to shop around. You're cutting it pretty close for OCI this year, especially when you take tailoring into account.

Edit: that suitsupply suit is a pretty light navy too, so I don't know. Just throwing it out there. This one's darker: http://www.suitsupply.com/shop/1.P1105- ... ter_19=575.

I will probably wear this more for callbacks. We'll see though. If I can get the suit in the next week or two, I have a tailor who can get it done for me by the 22nd (start of OCI).

Good find. My only concern is that these guys in the pictures are scrawny looking Euro dudes. I have broad shoulders, so I wonder how slim the suits would look on me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:33 am

Brooks Brothers navy suits from the clearance section. Not sure if they will have your size but the BrooksEase suit is of decent quality and you can buy the jacket+pants for just a hair over $300 (and they have some nicer stuff on clearance too).

Na_Swatch

Postby Na_Swatch » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:25 am

Bronte wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:So if you have one Navy suit and one lighter gray suit, but the lighter gray suit is better fitting (tailor made)... should I alternate between the suits? Only wear the Navy?

Medium gray suits have been a point of contention ITT. It depends on how poorly tailored the navy suit is, but assuming its passable I would go with the navy if or until it gets wrinkled and then switch to the gray.

Thanks for the help! The Navy suit is a brooks brothers that I then took to a tailor so its pretty good too. Its really ok to wear the exact same suit for Interviews and Callbacks though? That's my main concern

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:29 am

Na_Swatch wrote:Its really ok to wear the exact same suit for Interviews and Callbacks though? That's my main concern
Last year during my callbacks, I only saw the on campus interviewer at one or two offices, so there'd be no way they'd know.

But even if you do see your screener, he/she likely wouldn't remember or care.

marija

Postby marija » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 pm

Rotor wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:Its really ok to wear the exact same suit for Interviews and Callbacks though? That's my main concern
Last year during my callbacks, I only saw the on campus interviewer at one or two offices, so there'd be no way they'd know.

But even if you do see your screener, he/she likely wouldn't remember or care.

I can't imagine that any screener would remember--out of the 20 or so people he's interviewed that day--exactly what suit you were wearing. Wear a different shirt and tie and you'll be fine.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:19 pm

Bump for more opinions. Go.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:

If you haven't already, check out that new Nordstrom Rack. I had pretty good luck there, though you might wanna look elsewhere for tailoring.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

What should I be looking for at Sacks Off Fifth? I need a Navy suit, some ties, and some shirts.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

beachbum wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

If you haven't already, check out that new Nordstrom Rack. I had pretty good luck there, though you might wanna look elsewhere for tailoring.

Is that by the galleria?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Is that by the galleria?

That's the one.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:13 pm

beachbum wrote:If you haven't already, check out that new Nordstrom Rack. I had pretty good luck there, though you might wanna look elsewhere for tailoring.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the Rack for most things, but I've never really found a suit there that I liked. They had a navy blue one there that I liked and almost got, but something about the lighting just wasn't quite right.

Anyone know of any kickass sales going on right now?

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:
beachbum wrote:If you haven't already, check out that new Nordstrom Rack. I had pretty good luck there, though you might wanna look elsewhere for tailoring.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the Rack for most things, but I've never really found a suit there that I liked. They had a navy blue one there that I liked and almost got, but something about the lighting just wasn't quite right.

Anyone know of any kickass sales going on right now?

Bought a CK suit form the rack before summer, definitely happy with it. They have great prices on CK slim fit shirts as well, which fit me better than most cheap shirts.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:Anyone know of any kickass sales going on right now?

Interested too - just got my OCI schedule so I'm going to need a backup suit to be safe.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:03 am

Also: any sales on belts? I need a new one.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:07 am

I asked this earlier, but does anyone know if the quality/prices coming out of Sacks off Fifth or the Rack is better?

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:13 am

TaipeiMort wrote:I asked this earlier, but does anyone know if the quality/prices coming out of Sacks off Fifth or the Rack is better?

I prefer Sax off Fifth.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 am

Helmholtz wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:I asked this earlier, but does anyone know if the quality/prices coming out of Sacks off Fifth or the Rack is better?

I prefer Sax off Fifth.

Rack is net cheaper, generally, but Off Fifth has better deals by percent off. I prefer Off Fifth as well; Saks dress shirts are almost always 50% off there, and you can't beat them for $38.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 am

Kretzy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

I prefer Sax off Fifth.

Rack is net cheaper, generally, but Off Fifth has better deals by percent off.

I can never find anything when I go to the Rack. I have always found the suit selection to be superb at Off Fifth. But then again, I've only been to a couple of each of those stores, and your mileage may vary wildly.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:23 am

Helmholtz wrote:I can never find anything when I go to the Rack. I have always found the suit selection to be superb at Off Fifth. But then again, I've only been to a couple of each of those stores, and your mileage may vary wildly.

I can hardly find anything when I got to Nordstrom. They have some key items that they put on sale (AE Park Avenues and belts, Nordstrom brand stuff, etc.), but overall their selection is painfully metrosexual. I can only imagine the shit the move to the Rack is the worst of the bunch.

Return to “Legal Employment”