OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
leobowski

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby leobowski » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:51 pm

I think you could pull it off with a white shirt

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 pm

bleh
Last edited by GeePee on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:10 pm

leobowski wrote:I think you could pull it off with a white shirt

You're probably seeing a different color than he is.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:12 pm

GeePee wrote:Of course that's okay. That's a pretty classic look.

Hadn't seen purplish pink tossed around much ITT. Funny thing is, I have a solid burgundy herringbone I'm pretty excited about that will ship in time for OCI, but not in time for my trip this weekend. My only other good tie is navy so I think it's down to pink or buying something.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:24 pm

quakeroats wrote:

Hmm? What are you talking about? White shirt+ that tie+ navy suit is what I was referring to.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 pm

leobowski wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Hmm? What are you talking about? White shirt+ that tie+ navy suit is what I was referring to.

How colors appear on different computer screens is unpredictable. That tie looks pretty pink to me.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:37 pm

The tie is pretty pink. That's why I'm here.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:38 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
GeePee wrote:Of course that's okay. That's a pretty classic look.

Hadn't seen purplish pink tossed around much ITT. Funny thing is, I have a solid burgundy herringbone I'm pretty excited about that will ship in time for OCI, but not in time for my trip this weekend. My only other good tie is navy so I think it's down to pink or buying something.

That has enough red tones in it that it seems okay, but if it's noticeably distinguishable as "pink" then it's not showing up accurately on my screen.

EDIT: Given that it's been clarified as "pretty pink," I'd say no.
Last edited by GeePee on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Yeah maybe everyone's on the same page, maybe everyone's not. It's pink. I really don't think it's advisable. It's fine for everyday where, but it's really pushing it for an interview.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:41 pm

I'll go in another direction.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Regardless of the exact color, I still think that the tie would look good with a white shirt and navy suit. Reasonable minds may differ.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:44 pm

leobowski wrote:Regardless of the exact color, I still think that the tie would look good with a white shirt and navy suit.

I've already accepted that "what looks good" is insufficient criteria when asking what's the safest ensemble for a life-changing interview.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Your original post never said anything about OCI. Just trying to be helpful.

Last edited by leobowski on Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:56 pm

Ah, sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the vote of confidence on the combination in general. I agree it's sharp.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:09 am

Lieut Kaffee wrote:
leobowski wrote:Regardless of the exact color, I still think that the tie would look good with a white shirt and navy suit.

I've already accepted that "what looks good" is insufficient criteria when asking what's the safest ensemble for a life-changing interview.

Brings a tear to my eye.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:18 am

Serious question: bowties. Yea or nay? I think I look quite good in them, and they're a little quirky. Thinking about them for my couple "super reach" interviews, since I probably have nothing to lose and everything to gain by being a little off-the-wall.

100Miles&Runnin'

Postby 100Miles&Runnin' » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:22 am

Is black really that bad? I bought my suit before I knew anything about men's fashion (and I still don't), and thought black was standard. Since I have some big law interviews coming up, would it be worth wile to spend $500 on a different color? I'm not pasty white or fat, so I don't think I look funny in black. I just want to make sure it's not a real fuax pas, but just something the neurotic folks on this site find time to worry about.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 am

100Miles&Runnin' wrote:Is black really that bad? I bought my suit before I knew anything about men's fashion (and I still don't), and thought black was standard. Since I have some big law interviews coming up, would it be worth wile to spend $500 on a different color? I'm not pasty white or fat, so I don't think I look funny in black. I just want to make sure it's not a real fuax pas, but just something the neurotic folks on this site find time to worry about.

There seem to be enough people out there that are misinformed into thinking that a black suit is what you're supposed to wear to an interview that interviewers are probably pretty used to seeing it by now and won't think much of it.

That's just my guess though.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:42 am

goodolgil wrote:
100Miles&Runnin' wrote:Is black really that bad? I bought my suit before I knew anything about men's fashion (and I still don't), and thought black was standard. Since I have some big law interviews coming up, would it be worth wile to spend $500 on a different color? I'm not pasty white or fat, so I don't think I look funny in black. I just want to make sure it's not a real fuax pas, but just something the neurotic folks on this site find time to worry about.

There seem to be enough people out there that are misinformed into thinking that a black suit is what you're supposed to wear to an interview that interviewers are probably pretty used to seeing it by now and won't think much of it.

That's just my guess though.

That may actually be true, but I've read enough in these threads to conclude it's close to "a real faux pas" than "just something neurotic folks worry about."

Poster, $500 will get you a pretty nice suit.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:53 am

Also, as an FYI, Saks Off Fifth has 40% their already-reduced suits until the end of the day tomorrow (Tuesday), for folks looking. I got a Zegna for $370 there (ticket price $1399, normal Off Fifth price $699) yesterday, and there were a bunch of excellent suits for under $450 as well.

They are mostly 2010 styles, but almost all are completely wearable for years. If you have a Tanger or other outlet near you, and two hours tomorrow, I'd highly suggest checking them out. Dress shirts are also 50% off; I got 3 fairly classic ones that are $169 in stores for $44 each.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:24 am

how can i attach a pic to the reply?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:how can i attach a pic to the reply?

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.website.com/location/of/image[/img]

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:35 am

What are your opinions on slightly longer jackets that are still perfectly tailored (drape 1-2 inches below the buttocks)? My charcoal suit is that size and I think it looks great (especially considering that I'm quite tall), but I was just polling the gallery to see how you all feel.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 am

GeePee wrote:What are your opinions on slightly longer jackets that are still perfectly tailored (drape 1-2 inches below the buttocks)? My charcoal suit is that size and I think it looks great (especially considering that I'm quite tall), but I was just polling the gallery to see how you all feel.

If you are over 6'2", i think long jackets are perfectly acceptable, and if anything, accentuate your height advantage over the rest of us (darn you :mrgreen:). Are the arms/shoulders well put-together? If yes, I'd feel comfortable wearing it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 am

Return to “Legal Employment”