OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I like the cut of the Fitzgerald but I happen to be shorter and stockier (5'8, 160, in good shape), you think no go?


Yeah I really do think it's a no go. I would go with the Madison. If the sales man's any good, he'll try to talk you out of the Fitzgerald as well. Because I'm about six foot, 150 pounds, the Fitzgerald just looks like a normal cut suit on me. But on a stockier build it starts to look a little Mad Men.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Emma. wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Because I am not going to go through 102 pages, what are you most/least favorite suit brands?


Depends entirely on your budget. Brooks Brothers' "Fitzgerald" suits are generally a credited option. Conservative enough but still reasonably modern, and quality construction. I have a few Hugo Boss suits that fit me super well, but I'm not totally sold on Hugo Boss as far as value for money. You are probably paying too much for the name unless you buy at a really good sale. Ralph Lauren Black Label make some really beautiful suits. They are full canvas and lately they have been putting out some cuts that are conservative enough for a law firm interview but also reasonably slim and modern. Even on sale they aren't cheap though. If I could afford it I would probably buy Ermenegildo Zegna.


There's also the bespoke option depending on where you live. There's probably not enough time for that if your OCI is this summer, but once you get into the $1000 range it can make more sense to have a suit custom made from a Hong Kong tailor or the like. They can be had in the $600+ range depending on the city. Yelp.com can actually help with that (e.g., http://www.yelp.com/biz/seymours-fashio ... om%20suits, although these are about $1200).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 pm

Do I need to buy new suits? These are the two most suitable ones I have right now:

Image

and

Image

(the flash is making the stripes look slightly more apparent than usual).

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Bronte wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I like the cut of the Fitzgerald but I happen to be shorter and stockier (5'8, 160, in good shape), you think no go?


Yeah I really do think it's a no go. I would go with the Madison. If the sales man's any good, he'll try to talk you out of the Fitzgerald as well. Because I'm about six foot, 150 pounds, the Fitzgerald just looks like a normal cut suit on me. But on a stockier build it starts to look a little Mad Men.

Madison has pleats, which is why I wouldn't. I did think it might be a bit trendy.... I may just have to look at some other brands.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:44 pm

At TaipeiMort, I think you're on the cusp of needing to buy new suits. The first suit has peaked lapels, which is a pretty big no go. The second suit is of course pinstriped (is it two or three button?). It really depends on whether you can afford it or not, if you can't afford it, I would probably stick with the second one, and I'm sure you'll be just fine. If you can, I would consider a sold navy as described throughout this thread, making sure to get notched lapels, two buttons, etc.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:50 pm

Bronte wrote:At TaipeiMort, I think you're on the cusp of needing to buy new suits. The first suit has peaked lapels, which is a pretty big no go. The second suit is of course pinstriped (is it two or three button?). It really depends on whether you can afford it or not, if you can't afford it, I would probably stick with the second one, and I'm sure you'll be just fine. If you can, I would consider a sold navy as described throughout this thread, making sure to get notched lapels, two buttons, etc.


But... but...

Image

I actually just bought a peak lapel suit that I LOVE.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:54 pm

I think peaked lapel suits are fine, but they're fashion forward and not interview attire. (And Harvey's suits should be no one's attire.) Obviously you and I fall on somewhat different ends of the spectrum in terms of fashion conservatism though.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby beachbum » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:59 pm

And don't forget about outlet stores. I picked up a Joseph Abboud suit from Nordstrom Rack for ~$350 and two Zegna suits from Off Fifth for $700. Couldn't be happier.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Emma. » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:59 pm

Bronte wrote:I think peaked lapel suits are fine, but they're fashion forward and not interview attire. (And Harvey's suits should be no one's attire.) Obviously you and I fall on somewhat different ends of the spectrum in terms of fashion conservatism though.


Haha, yeah, I think we might.

I do agree that the dude from Suits dresses ridiculously though. I'm not quite at that level. :lol:

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:20 pm

beachbum wrote:And don't forget about outlet stores. I picked up a Joseph Abboud suit from Nordstrom Rack for ~$350 and two Zegna suits from Off Fifth for $700. Couldn't be happier.


Out of curiosity were the Zegna suits Z Zegna or Ermenegildo Zegna? If the latter that's a real steal.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:38 pm

Just a PSA. The current Jos. A. Bank sale is buy 1 get two of anything (equal or lesser value) free. This is not a particularly good deal for suits (because their ridiculous list prices are worth more than 3 times the actual value of the suit (even though some of their suits are good quality nonetheless)), but it is if you like their wrinkle-free dress shirts, like I do. So if anyone is in the market for dress shirts, you can get 3 of them for $29 each.

If you do buy them, make sure you get the "tailored fit" though. The tailored fit is really just a normal fit. I have a size 15 (I am normally a size 15.5) of the "standard" fit and it is cut like a parachute. The tailored fit is nice tho.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby beachbum » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:39 pm

goodolgil wrote:
beachbum wrote:And don't forget about outlet stores. I picked up a Joseph Abboud suit from Nordstrom Rack for ~$350 and two Zegna suits from Off Fifth for $700. Couldn't be happier.


Out of curiosity were the Zegna suits Z Zegna or Ermenegildo Zegna? If the latter that's a real steal.


Ermenegildo Zegna. I didn't know there was a difference (hadn't even heard of Zegna until I found these suits), but I'm glad I got the right one.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Patriot1208 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:44 pm

beachbum wrote:
goodolgil wrote:
beachbum wrote:And don't forget about outlet stores. I picked up a Joseph Abboud suit from Nordstrom Rack for ~$350 and two Zegna suits from Off Fifth for $700. Couldn't be happier.


Out of curiosity were the Zegna suits Z Zegna or Ermenegildo Zegna? If the latter that's a real steal.


Ermenegildo Zegna. I didn't know there was a difference (hadn't even heard of Zegna until I found these suits), but I'm glad I got the right one.

Was this at plaza Frontenac?

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby beachbum » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
goodolgil wrote:
beachbum wrote:And don't forget about outlet stores. I picked up a Joseph Abboud suit from Nordstrom Rack for ~$350 and two Zegna suits from Off Fifth for $700. Couldn't be happier.


Out of curiosity were the Zegna suits Z Zegna or Ermenegildo Zegna? If the latter that's a real steal.


Ermenegildo Zegna. I didn't know there was a difference (hadn't even heard of Zegna until I found these suits), but I'm glad I got the right one.

Was this at plaza Frontenac?


Nah, I'm in Durham now. There's an outlet mall (Tanger) about 20 minutes away with an Off Fifth. Plaza Frontenac is fucking expensive.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby shepdawg » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:12 am

I was trying out some online suit shopping and I found the suit below. Looks great, and has with free shipping. It looks like it fits the recommendations of this thread perfectly. Thoughts?

Features:
Super 140's, 100% Virgin Wool
Notch Lapel
Two flap pockets on jacket's bottom
One besom chest pocket, Four interior pockets
TWO front dark gray buttons
Four dark gray buttons vented sleeves
Dual side vents on back
Front slant pockets
Waist pants can be narrowed up to 4 inches and expanded up to 2 inches at your local tailoring or alterations store
Back besom pockets with button closure
Split waist construction
Zip fly with hook-and-bar and button-tab closures

Image
Image

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:21 am

shepdawg wrote:I was trying out some online suit shopping and I found the suit below. Looks great, and has with free shipping. It looks like it fits the recommendations of this thread perfectly. Thoughts?



Looks pretty sharp, but unless you already know the brand and how it fits I'd be hesitant to buy anything online that you couldn't return. A good tailor can do a lot, but if the suit doesn't fit you well in the shoulders there isn't really anything a tailor can do to fix that.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:23 am

There's been talk of some of the Brooks Brothers stuff being too slim, if I'm 6'3 225 does that mean they don't have a suit right for me? Could have just read some of the fodder wrong.

Thanks

Edited: An Athletic 225

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:32 am

B.Web wrote:There's been talk of some of the Brooks Brothers stuff being too slim, if I'm 6'3 225 does that mean they don't have a suit right for me? Could have just read some of the fodder wrong.

Thanks

Edited: An Athletic 225


It's not that Brooks Brothers suits are too slim. In fact, they're probably known for making the traditional American suit. It's the 1818 Fitzgerald line we're talking about, which is a slimmer cut suit. On your build, it's may be a bit too slim, but not necessarily since you're tall. The Regent or the Madison may be a better cut for you. The Regent is a nice cut, but on their website at least they have limited offerings in it right now. The Madison is their classic suit, but it does have pleated trousers. That's fine, it's just somewhat disfavored by the younger generation (but completely appropriate).

I think they usually offer more fabric in the Regent, it's just that they're kind of between seasons right now. The time to buy Brooks Brothers suits will not be until after the Christmas shopping season, when they have their next half-yearly.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Ruxin1 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:37 am

Appreciate the info, thanks

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:47 am

i have a navy pinstriped suit.
because it's navy, it looks stylish with brown shoes and belt.

but will i look weird in a crowd of people wearing black shoes?

i live in SF, if location matters.

User avatar
Emma.
Posts: 2401
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Emma. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:i have a navy pinstriped suit.
because it's navy, it looks stylish with brown shoes and belt.

but will i look weird in a crowd of people wearing black shoes?

i live in SF, if location matters.


Popular wisdom ITT is black is safer, but I'll be wearing brown shoes with my navy suit. Black shoes with a navy suit makes you look, well, like you are in the Navy.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:i have a navy pinstriped suit.
because it's navy, it looks stylish with brown shoes and belt.

but will i look weird in a crowd of people wearing black shoes?

i live in SF, if location matters.


I may have invented this idea in this context, but I think it's best to only break one rule at a time if you're going to do it at all. You can get away with a navy pinstripe suit, although pinstripes are generally inadvisable. Navy suits categorically look better with brown shoes, but wearing brown shoes is also breaking one of the rules. You can never go wrong with black shoes and belt (except, maybe, with certain more obscure color suits). You will stand out more with brown shoes by far.

Note that I assume you're talking about legal interviews. If you're talking about general wear, rock the brown shoes and throw in a multicolor paisley tie if you feel like it.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Cupidity » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:15 am

I only own paisley ties.

Is this going to be an issue?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:19 am

Cupidity wrote:I only own paisley ties.

Is this going to be an issue?


Paisley ties come in many different looks. Some are more acceptable than others. Personally, I love them, but as a category they are distinctly not conservative. I doubt that putting this http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds= and this http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp ... nValueIds= in your shopping cart is going to break the bank.

User avatar
The Valkyrie
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby The Valkyrie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:18 am

Cupidity wrote:I only own paisley ties.

Is this going to be an issue?


Buy some solid ties




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.