OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
leobowski

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby leobowski » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Ordered some shirt stays from amazon today. They seem to a pretty common thing with military/cops. Will report back after I use them.

Helmholtz

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm

So I just bought these shoes and am experimenting with different lacing styles. How do I make it look like it does in the picture? Is there actually a way to do this?

--LinkRemoved--

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, while I love this thread (and basically all men's fashion related threads), it is sort of becoming redundant. Might be time for a merge, especially considering most of the posters ITT are also posters in the suits megathread?

Good idea.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Helmholtz wrote:So I just bought these shoes and am experimenting with different lacing styles. How do I make it look like it does in the picture? Is there actually a way to do this?

--LinkRemoved--

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Helmholtz wrote:So I just bought these shoes and am experimenting with different lacing styles. How do I make it look like it does in the picture? Is there actually a way to do this?

--LinkRemoved--

It's called barlacing, and it's pretty easy. You basically just lace straight over, and go every other eyelet.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5175181_bar-lace-shoes.html

Another pro thing to do with shoes is when you tie em', do another loop over/under before you do the bunny ears. It holds the knot in place.

edit: bronte beat me to it
Last edited by leobowski on Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Bronte wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

tyft

Bronte

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:57 pm

Holy megamerger.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:04 am

So on every pair of dress shoes I own, I've developed a seemingly abnormal amount of creasing at the flexing spot especially down around the inside of my foot (like where the ball of my foot is located). At first, I thought it was just because the shoes sucked, but I've noticed it on every pair I own, from Bostonian to Johnston & Murphy to Allen Edmonds.

I know some normal creasing will happen with any pair, but I feel like my situation is more pronounced. I've been checking out other guy's shoes lately, and mine seem to be more broken in and "collapsed" than others. I use shoe trees and take pretty good care of them, so I'm trying to figure out the cause. Any thoughts? Is it the way I walk? Maybe the shoes are slightly too large?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:16 am

romothesavior wrote:So on every pair of dress shoes I own, I've developed a seemingly abnormal amount of creasing at the flexing spot especially down around the inside of my foot (like where the ball of my foot is located). At first, I thought it was just because the shoes sucked, but I've noticed it on every pair I own, from Bostonian to Johnston & Murphy to Allen Edmonds.

I know some normal creasing will happen with any pair, but I feel like my situation is more pronounced. I've been checking out other guy's shoes lately, and mine seem to be more broken in and "collapsed" than others. I use shoe trees and take pretty good care of them, so I'm trying to figure out the cause. Any thoughts? Is it the way I walk? Maybe the shoes are slightly too large?

Do you have flat feet?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am

D-hops wrote:Do you have flat feet?

Maybe? Could be that I'm just not filling out the shoes vertically.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am

romothesavior wrote:So on every pair of dress shoes I own, I've developed a seemingly abnormal amount of creasing at the flexing spot especially down around the inside of my foot (like where the ball of my foot is located). At first, I thought it was just because the shoes sucked, but I've noticed it on every pair I own, from Bostonian to Johnston & Murphy to Allen Edmonds.

Probably this. Have you tried on the next size down recently? Tying your laces tighter can help somewhat as well.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:21 am

romothesavior wrote:

I have very flat feet such that my foot flattens out in the shoe and I get creases from walking (because there is space in between the top of foot and the top of the shoe. Inserts help raise my foot up to avoid the issue somewhat.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:22 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Bronte wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

tyft

I just did this technique a few nights ago. Love the way it looks, and it's super simple.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:23 am

Stanford4Me wrote:I just did this technique a few nights ago. Love the way it looks, and it's super simple.

Yeah, wearing my shoes now with the laces done that way. Look great.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:27 am

D-hops wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I have very flat feet such that my foot flattens out in the shoe and I get creases from walking (because there is space in between the top of foot and the top of the shoe. Inserts help raise my foot up to avoid the issue somewhat.

I guess I've never really thought much about it, but my feet are kind of flat and wide. I will try the inserts and see if that helps. Probably will also try to go down .5 a size next time I buy shoes (which will be soon). Thanks!

Aston2412

Postby Aston2412 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:28 am

That only gives instructions for 6 rows of eyelets and an alternate for 7 rows. My shoes have 5 rows of eyelets! HELP!!!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 am

GeePee wrote:

Probably this. Have you tried on the next size down recently? Tying your laces tighter can help somewhat as well.

I think it's this, a sizing issue. With flat feet, you'll also get pronounced abnormal wearing on the soles of your shoes, because the way you're distributing your weight to the ground (through the shoe) is different than in normal people.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:33 am

vanwinkle wrote:
GeePee wrote:

I think it's this, a sizing issue. With flat feet, you'll also get pronounced abnormal wearing on the soles of your shoes, because the way you're distributing your weight to the ground (through the shoe) is different than in normal people.

Yeah, my soles wear rather weirdly and if I didn't just buy new shoes, I would have to get them re-soled much more often than is usually necessary.

KeepitKind

Postby KeepitKind » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:03 pm

Bronte wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

ya that site's legit. Ian Fieggen is pretty much the most respected shoe-lacer around. A friend of mine saw video of him lacing Prince Hisahito's first pair of shoes but it was before youtube and Princess Kiko had the Kempeitai (don't pretend they actually disbanded) secure all copies of the video since it obviously insulted the Japansese lacing master and rising star Hideki Konoi. It was to no avail - once word got out that Feiggen was in Japan during the time of Prince Hisahito's inaugural lacing, Konoi's seppuku was a forgone conclusion. Fieggen (who many claim forced the Princess's call on threat of revealing her purchase of velcro shoes, a then-current fad) has had his competitor's death on his conscience ever since and will never again perform the lost art of the Hidden Sawtooth Double-Back K-Ren, the lace that obviously thrust Konoi onto the international scene. To think, if Princess Kiko hadn't made that fateful call to Ian Fieggen we'd prob all be using the up-around-ladderswing-double drip-around-down technique Konoi had spent his short lifetime preaching.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 pm

KeepitKind wrote:
Bronte wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

ya that site's legit. Ian Fieggen is pretty much the most respected shoe-lacer around. A friend of mine saw video of him lacing Prince Hisahito's first pair of shoes but it was before youtube and Princess Kiko had the Kempeitai (don't pretend they actually disbanded) secure all copies of the video since it obviously insulted the Japansese lacing master and rising star Hideki Konoi. It was to no avail - once word got out that Feiggen was in Japan during the time of Prince Hisahito's inaugural lacing, Konoi's seppuku was a forgone conclusion. Fieggen (who many claim forced the Princess's call on threat of revealing her purchase of velcro shoes, a then-current fad) has had his competitor's death on his conscience ever since and will never again perform the lost art of the Hidden Sawtooth Double-Back K-Ren, the lace that obviously thrust Konoi onto the international scene. To think, if Princess Kiko hadn't made that fateful call to Ian Fieggen we'd prob all be using the up-around-ladderswing-double drip-around-down technique Konoi had spent his short lifetime preaching.

What is this I don't even

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:27 pm

Anyone know if Norstrom's still has that AE Park Ave sale that was mentioned a few days ago?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:Anyone know if Norstrom's still has that AE Park Ave sale that was mentioned a few days ago?

Goes till August 1 I believe. When I was there, I got the last pair of shoes in my size.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:48 pm

Had a very good day for my footwear. I took a pair of J&Ms into a repair shop to have the color restored (they got scuffed by another dudes shoe), bought some shoe inserts for my shoes and that seemed to help, and went and got myself a pair of black Park Avenues. The guy measured my feet and said I should be wearing a 12-12.5 and agreed that my feet are pretty flat, so I went down from my size 13 that I usually get and got a 12. They are pretty snug but very comfy, so hopefully that fixes my creasing issue in the future, and the inserts will help salvage my other shoes so I fill then out better.

I also got a shoe shine on my dark brown AE 5th Avenues, and wow. I thought they were in good shape before,but they look brand new now. Very pleased.

An all around good day for my feet. 8)

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:53 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
romothesavior wrote:What is this I don't even

^

But I just relaced my shoes, and they look sweet.

Haha, I just Googled "straight lacing shoes" and that was the first link. Funny to note that a few pages back there was an outcry about the fact that anyone would even consider how their shoes are laced.

romothesavior wrote:Anyone know if Norstrom's still has that AE Park Ave sale that was mentioned a few days ago?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-edmon ... sultback=0

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 pm

KeepitKind wrote:
Bronte wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

please post more like this

k, thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”