OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SilverE2

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:49 pm

Veyron wrote:
SilverE2 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Any belt buying tips? How about ties? I'm thinking of getting a red tie and a blue tie. I've got white shirts and light blue shirts. Charcoal suit, and black shoes.

I honestly think a red tie is far too flashy to be of much use. That's just a personal opinion though, I know they're popular. I'm particularly fond of darker blue ties (can't be more business conservative than that) and brown ties.

This thread has some great examples of some good conservative attire:

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/ ... experiment

Also NO SHINY TIES.

Depends on what kind of red. Burgundy is always a classy option.

Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of American flag red.

I think anything that's a neutral color (browns, greys, etc) or anything that's close to a neutral color (burgundy) is great, it allows you to use them in your rotation more often. When you're building your wardrobe, at the beginning you should absolutely focus on the most versatile colors, and then build from there. To be honest, when I was building my wardrobe, I stuck to white shirts ONLY. You really can't go wrong with white.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:31 pm

A red pindot tie--American flag red--is probably one of if not the most conservative ties.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:02 pm

probably should have read this thread before buying my shoes today, but it looks like I did alright. J&M meltons, black. $160 is the most I have ever paid for a pair of shoes, but the hope is that they wear better than the pos pair I wore this past summer. Paired with my tailored charcoal suit, pressed white shirt, and striped tie, I will be perfectly conservative for OCI in the south. :D

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Nordstroms has AE Park Ave's on sale for 200 dollars FYI.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Nordstroms has AE Park Ave's on sale for 200 dollars FYI.

4 serious? They don't carry cordovan tho :cry:

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Thoughts on the double windsor?

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Cupidity wrote:Thoughts on the double windsor?

Probably okay if your collar is wider spread (I think it actually looks good with Charles Tyrwhitt shirts because their "medium spread" collar is not medium spread), but obnoxiously thick for interview purposes with a pinpoint collar or something of similar width. Half (Single) windsor is much less in-your-face and probably more appropriate for an interview. Also, at least for me, the half windsor makes a nicer dimple because you can toy around more with the less bulky knot.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:23 pm

You mean Full Windsor?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:

You mean Full Windsor?

http://www.google.com

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:24 pm

You really want to be choked?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:27 pm

I don't really like double windsor and find it too puffy and distracting. A regular half (single) windsor seems more appropriate

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:34 pm

kaiser wrote:I don't really like double windsor and find it too puffy and distracting. A regular half (single) windsor seems more appropriate

Not 4-in-hand?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Veyron wrote:
kaiser wrote:I don't really like double windsor and find it too puffy and distracting. A regular half (single) windsor seems more appropriate

Not 4-in-hand?

It's like the half-windsor but slanted. To each his own.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Question about socks. Generally, does anyone have a brand/style that is a good go-to? Is argyle appropriate, or only solid-ish colors? I've seen ITT that matching the suit is preferable, but black is "okay"; does that mean I should ideally have navy socks and charcoal socks?

Finally, in my experience socks are generally only one size. This size, for me, results in the heel part bulging up around my achilles when I pull them tight. I also have a problem with dress socks falling down my calf and having to pull them up a lot. Any good place to get smaller/tighter socks?

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Nordstroms has AE Park Ave's on sale for 200 dollars FYI.

Strands, too. I am going to wear them to my next interview just to spite this thread.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:Question about socks. Generally, does anyone have a brand/style that is a good go-to? Is argyle appropriate, or only solid-ish colors? I've seen ITT that matching the suit is preferable, but black is "okay"; does that mean I should ideally have navy socks and charcoal socks?

Finally, in my experience socks are generally only one size. This size, for me, results in the heel part bulging up around my achilles when I pull them tight. I also have a problem with dress socks falling down my calf and having to pull them up a lot. Any good place to get smaller/tighter socks?

I have size 14 feet and there's still a pair of boys' socks that I wear in a pinch when I run out. Those things can stretch.

Also, definitely solid color -- argyle would be a significant tactical error (especially if you're wearing no break or medium break pants that rest higher when you sit). Yes, matching the suit is preferred, but if you're going black shoes/black belt then black socks are totally fine.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:28 pm

So you're saying I should err on the side of smaller? I feel like most dress socks say something like "shoe size 6-12.5" which, to me, sounds absurd. I'm not really even close to a 12.5.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:So you're saying I should err on the side of smaller? I feel like most dress socks say something like "shoe size 6-12.5" which, to me, sounds absurd. I'm not really even close to a 12.5.

I also have the riding down problem with socks, and I've found Calvin Klein socks to be pretty good, but not perfect. I think you're actually better off with longer socks. I bought a variety pack of Club Room socks. The navy ones absolutely suck, but it came with some khaki and argyle ones that are long and have an elastic band at the top that tightens just below the knee. These stay 100% up all day. I'd like to find some navy and black ones that are like this.

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:41 pm

I have a watch that is similar to the one in the picture below. Fine for interviews? Will be wearing dark navy suit, black shoes, black belt.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 pm

deebs wrote:I have a watch that is similar to the one in the picture below. Fine for interviews? Will be wearing dark navy suit, black shoes, black belt.

I'd say fine for interviews, but personally, I like to go with a solid leather band. Metal can come off a bit flashier (even when they are pretty tame like that one), and leather is just a more traditional look. Plus it matches your shoes/belt, which is a good thing.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Also, while I love this thread (and basically all men's fashion related threads), it is sort of becoming redundant. Might be time for a merge, especially considering most of the posters ITT are also posters in the suits megathread?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:53 pm

deebs wrote:I have a watch that is similar to the one in the picture below. Fine for interviews? Will be wearing dark navy suit, black shoes, black belt.

Mine is similar to that, except with roman numerals. I think it looks nice.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:Also, while I love this thread (and basically all men's fashion related threads), it is sort of becoming redundant. Might be time for a merge, especially considering most of the posters ITT are also posters in the suits megathread?

It probably works as somewhat of a PSA non-lounge posters, but I hear you.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 pm

I wouldn't wear a watch with swarovski crystals period. Especially not to interviews. Anyone who knows about watches will frown upon that.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:52 pm

leobowski wrote:I wouldn't wear a watch with swarovski crystals period. Especially not to interviews. Anyone who knows about watches will frown upon that.

Yeah the crystals are a bit questionable. The watch is the least of your worries, and I'm sure it would be fine, but it's not a necessity, so might as well skip it.

Return to “Legal Employment”