OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Bronte » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:Better price points than above:

2 suits (Jos A Bank): $375

2 Traveler shirts (Jos A Bank): $95

I still have to shop for the following, but these are my price goals

Shoes: $75

New watch: $50

Couple ties: $40

I guess $150 might be right on tailoring. Mine was $62 but the jacket needed minimal work.

That's barely $600.

I was just giving conservative estimates to get the point across. You can go well under my estimates and probably under your estimates. People never talk about it because it's the name that shall not be spoken, but you can get two suits for $300 or so at a place that rhymes with Ben's Whereabouts during their sales. There's pointers throughout the thread and in the suiting thread in the lounge to do better, though.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:41 pm

I guess $150 might be right on tailoring. Mine was $62 but the jacket needed minimal work.

That's barely $600.

I mean, you didn't account for a new belt (which too few people think they need) and you gave the prices for Jos A Bank executive suits, which are iffy to begin with and will hardly last you through OCI looking good. The extra $200 is well worth 2 suits that will last you more than twice as long and look a fair bit better.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:43 pm

GeePee wrote:

That's barely $600.

I mean, you didn't account for a new belt (which too few people think they need) and you gave the prices for Jos A Bank executive suits, which are iffy to begin with and will hardly last you through OCI looking good. The extra $200 is well worth 2 suits that will last you more than twice as long and look a fair bit better.

I'm sure there will come a time in my professional life when "durability" will be an attribute I look for in a suit. Truth be told, I haven't come close to wearing one out yet.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Lieut Kaffee wrote:Does my tailor suck?

(anecdote follows)

Just went to Jos A Bank because the suits I ordered last week came in. Given that wearing unaltered is generally portrayed ITT as the mother of all faux pas, I went in expecting to get the suit altered. This is especially true because I'm considerably more narrow than average.

I put on the first suit and the tailor looked me over. She quickly determined the jacket didn't need any altering. I gave an inquisitive look and asked a few probing questions, i.e. "It looks good in the shoulders?" and "The sides don't need to come in or anything?" She dismissed them quickly. The jacket is a 38R and, in her defense, is a "tailored fit" style. Maybe I'm just build like the prototypical thin person with regular length arms?

As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, be wary of when in-store tailors say things like the bolded. They often say that no matter how ill-fitting the suit is because they know that 90% of their clientele do not want to go through the hassle of getting their suit altered and will not buy the suit if they have to get it altered. This is especially true at a store like Bank which probably has a lot of people coming in who are not regular suit-wearers who don't want to wear a suit but need it for some specific reason.

It's possible that your tailor was right and it didn't need any work done, but I'd be wary. Maybe ask an independent tailor, or hell even post a picture here (blocking out the face would be wise though).

EDIT: Read post a bit wrong. It's usually the salesman who say things like that. I'd still be a bit cautious, but much less reason to worry if you've actually already expressed you wanted alterations.
Last edited by goodolgil on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:47 pm

goodolgil wrote:
Lieut Kaffee wrote:Does my tailor suck?

(anecdote follows)

Just went to Jos A Bank because the suits I ordered last week came in. Given that wearing unaltered is generally portrayed ITT as the mother of all faux pas, I went in expecting to get the suit altered. This is especially true because I'm considerably more narrow than average.

I put on the first suit and the tailor looked me over. She quickly determined the jacket didn't need any altering. I gave an inquisitive look and asked a few probing questions, i.e. "It looks good in the shoulders?" and "The sides don't need to come in or anything?" She dismissed them quickly. The jacket is a 38R and, in her defense, is a "tailored fit" style. Maybe I'm just build like the prototypical thin person with regular length arms?

As I mentioned somewhere else in this thread, be wary of when in-store tailors say things like the bolded. They often say that no matter how ill-fitting the suit is because they know that 90% of their clientele do not want to go through the hassle of getting their suit altered and will not buy the suit if they have to get it altered. This is especially true at a store like Bank which probably has a lot of people coming in who are not regular suit-wearers who don't want to wear a suit but need it for some specific reason.

It's possible that your tailor was right and it didn't need any work done, but I'd be wary. Maybe ask an independent tailor, or hell even post a picture here (blocking out the face would be wise though).

I forked over the money for the suit last week, and I came in expecting to get it altered today. If I read your post correctly, this moots your point, yes?

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Yeah, check out my edit.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 am

The black shoe thing is overdone. Fuck black shoes. A conservative burgundy/cordovan color is far more versatile and works just fine as long as it is good quality and has leather soles and a rounded toe. It's definitely better than a shitty black shoe.

YES

ABSOLUTELY NOT

This is closer than any interviewer will look at any shoes you wear.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:12 am

jkay wrote:The black shoe thing is overdone. Fuck black shoes. A conservative burgundy/cordovan color is far more versatile and works just fine as long as it is good quality and has leather soles and a rounded toe. It's definitely better than a shitty black shoe.

YES

[/img]

ABSOLUTELY NOT

[/img]

This is closer than any interviewer will look at any shoes you wear.

Those pictures are ridiculously oversized, but I totally agree on the second one. Those shoes are objectively awful and many people at my school seem to think they are OK.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

At what point of law school do you people suggest getting suits as my waist fluctuates depending on if I run as I'm sure many people's do.

In the past 4 months I've stayed in roughly the same weight at 145-50, but my waist fell from 32''/33'' to 27''/28'', and I was at Jos A Bank the other day, but even the 36 suit pants looked ridiculous (like a fat suit), while I needed the 38 jacket. Maybe it's time for custom suits?

What company makes the 2nd shoes by the way? I got a sale at Cole Haan back in March where I got buy 1 get 1 on shoes so it was $130 for two, and I figured I'd get OCI shoes well in advance so I got the black fancy ones the clerk recommended to go along with my blue boat shoes. I deferred to his judgment on shoes as I only have knowledge of fashion outside the work place as while I've had many full time jobs, I've never had an educated man's one.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:15 am

Jkay: Except that an interviewer will notice your brown cap toes or your hideous square toes. They won't notice these:

Brown shoes and belt look better with a navy suit. There's no doubt about it, and I plan to wear brown shoes with my navy suit as soon as I get a job. But at an interview you just can't go wrong with black cap toes. You have to recognize that you're one of a long line of posters that's rebelled against this. It's fine, and it's a personal choice. But the response is the same, no matter how you phrase the objection or what pictures you use: your [insert desired sartorial deviation here] won't hurt you, but it can't help you. Why take a risk with no reward?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 am

Bronte wrote:Jkay: Except that an interviewer will notice your brown cap toes or your hideous square toes. They won't notice these:

Brown shoes and belt look better with a navy suit. There's no doubt about it, and I plan to wear brown shoes with my navy suit as soon as I get a job. But at an interview you just can't go wrong with black cap toes. You have to recognize that you're one of a long line of posters that's rebelled against this. It's fine, and it's a personal choice. But the response is the same, no matter how you phrase the objection or what pictures you use: your [insert desired sartorial deviation here] won't hurt you, but it can't help you. Why take a risk with no reward?

Spot on, again. I agree a nice burgundy looks fantastic with a navy suit, but I would never wear them for an interview. Enough people believe that black shoe = only acceptable option (though it is not) that I would not want to take the risk for little to no benefit.

jkay

Postby jkay » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 am

Bronte wrote:won't hurt you, but it can't help you. Why take a risk with no reward?

Because I refuse to believe that someone will seriously have a negative reaction to conservative and very dark brown shoes anymore. Someone could just as easily take offense to your hair cut, your nostril size, or your jawline.

The "MUST WEAR BLACK SHOES" thing is pretty much the only advice in this type of thread I have ever disagreed with. All of the other: navy or charcoal suit, white shirt (how come no one ever mentions collar type?), conservative tie, etc., is generally solid and you shouldn't avoid it even if you know what you are doing.

Disclaimer: I work with a bunch of slobs.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 am

jkay wrote:
Bronte wrote:won't hurt you, but it can't help you. Why take a risk with no reward?

Because I refuse to believe that someone will seriously have a negative reaction to conservative and very dark brown shoes anymore. Someone could just as easily take offense to your hair cut, your nostril size, or your jawline.

The "MUST WEAR BLACK SHOES" thing is pretty much the only advice in this type of thread I have ever disagreed with. All of the other: navy or charcoal suit, white shirt (how come no one ever mentions collar type?), conservative tie, etc., is generally solid and you shouldn't avoid it even if you know what you are doing.

You only have control over one of those things. Also, people have taken offense to my hair before even though it isn't outrageous, and I will be toning it down a bit the week of OCI. It's an unfortunate casualty of the game.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:26 am

jkay wrote:

Again, breaking one or even multiple of these rules in a conservative way isn't going to kill your chances. If you want to wear the brown shoes, I'm genuinely sure you'll be fine. We're talking nuances at this point. But you can't control your nostril size or your jaw line, but you can get a conservative haircut and wear black cap toes.

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:38 am

Is it important how you make the tie? socks? cologne?

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:47 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Is it important how you make the tie? socks? cologne?

Don't be shy here. For a night out I usually stick to 1-2 sprays, but for interviews I'm doing 3-4.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 am

flexityflex86 wrote:Is it important how you make the tie? socks? cologne?

It's important (to the extant that any of the detail-oriented shit in this thread is important) that you tie whatever knot you choose properly. That means tightly, with a dimple, and without weird overlaps and creases. It's actually rare to see a well-tied knot. Your socks should match your suit, although black is fine with charcoal. If you choose to wear cologne (I wouldn't), wear it very sparingly. Deodorant is probably more important.

Well-tied:

Poorly-tied:

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:04 am

That second one is more "wrong knot for the collar" than poorly tied, I think?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:16 am

thesealocust wrote:That second one is more "wrong knot for the collar" than poorly tied, I think?

It's probably both. The way the back of the tie is folding over the front of the tie is a common error, regardless of knot and collar. But I just did a quick Google image search. The next guy you see wearing a tie will probably provide an even better example.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:41 am

Bronte wrote:
thesealocust wrote:That second one is more "wrong knot for the collar" than poorly tied, I think?

It's probably both. The way the back of the tie is folding over the front of the tie is a common error, regardless of knot and collar. But I just did a quick Google image search. The next guy you see wearing a tie will probably provide an even better example.

The funny thing is I think many people think this is a legitimate dimple.

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:So given that OGI is going to do a number on the suit, it's probably a good idea to get something that seems like it will withstand the stress of hiring season and then get retired to the back of the closet (ie something cheapish)?

I wore this to OGI and it was a resounding success:

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:06 pm

Any belt buying tips? How about ties? I'm thinking of getting a red tie and a blue tie. I've got white shirts and light blue shirts. Charcoal suit, and black shoes.

California Babe

Postby California Babe » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Any belt buying tips? How about ties? I'm thinking of getting a red tie and a blue tie. I've got white shirts and light blue shirts. Charcoal suit, and black shoes.

You should also get a yellow tie.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Any belt buying tips? How about ties? I'm thinking of getting a red tie and a blue tie. I've got white shirts and light blue shirts. Charcoal suit, and black shoes.

I honestly think a red tie is far too flashy to be of much use. That's just a personal opinion though, I know they're popular. I'm particularly fond of darker blue ties (can't be more business conservative than that) and brown ties.

This thread has some great examples of some good conservative attire:

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/ ... experiment

Also NO SHINY TIES.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:38 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

I honestly think a red tie is far too flashy to be of much use. That's just a personal opinion though, I know they're popular. I'm particularly fond of darker blue ties (can't be more business conservative than that) and brown ties.

This thread has some great examples of some good conservative attire:

http://www.styleforum.net/forum/thread/ ... experiment

Also NO SHINY TIES.

Depends on what kind of red. Burgundy is always a classy option.

Return to “Legal Employment”