OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby alumniguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Helmholtz wrote:
daesonesb wrote:My new shoes.


I would not wear those to OCI.


I actually would wear these to OCI. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these shoes. That is a classic style. The color is a perfect brown to go with a navy suit. It is certainly a more fashion forward look, but nothing out of the ordinary.

And the black shoes are nice as well.

Edit: You could always get the black shoes reconditioned. It may set you back a decent chunk of money, but that is the whole reason to buy leather shoes - so you can clean/recondition them and spend $100 rather than spending $250 on a new pair of shoes.
Last edited by alumniguy on Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:33 am

alumniguy wrote:And while inexpensive shoes can pass a few weeks of OCI, that doesn't mean that is the best plan when buying shoes. The same argument could be made for suits. A tailored fit cheap suit ($250 from Banana Republic) would be completely fine for OCI purposes, but most people would probably suggest investing in a nicer suit and plan on keeping it for 5-10 years rather than 2-3 years. It really is the same for shoes. If you have an extra $100, then bump up your shoe purchase and get something that will last more than 1 year.

I definitely agree with this, and this is why I plan on spending a little more on my next pair of shoes.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby daesonesb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 am

Pufer wrote:I know what I wore yesterday. I know the shirt I wore every day for the last month. I know the last occasion on which I wore every tie I own, and the precise number of times I've worn each of those ties (I have over a thousand ties). I know what I wore to every interview I've ever had, and can remember what every one of the interviewers was wearing. I can tell you the exact outfit I've worn to every court appearance I made in clinic, down to the exact pair of socks and underwear I wore. I could tell you how, where, and roughly when I purchased every article of clothing I own.


But see, this isn't what most people (hiring partners included) are like at all.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:35 am

alumniguy wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
daesonesb wrote:My new shoes.


I would not wear those to OCI.


I actually would wear these to OCI. There is absolutely nothing wrong with these shoes. That is a classic style. The color is a perfect brown to go with a navy suit. It is certainly a more fashion forward look, but nothing out of the ordinary.


Respectfully disagree, but I guess there is a chance that all the OCI interviewers won't have a problem with them too.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby beachbum » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:36 am

Well, my interview attire is (finally) complete: I bought two Zegna suits (navy and navy pinstripe) at an Off Fifth BOGOF sale and I'm picking them up from the tailor today. I also have a charcoal Joseph Abboud suit from Nordstrom Rack. I'll be pairing these with four Brooks Brothers slim fit shirts (two point collar and two medium spread collar) in conservative colors (white, light blue), a pair of J&M Meltons (black), and a black belt. I also just purchased two conservative (red/blue) Tommy Hilfiger ties from Nordstrom Rack, and a couple pairs of dress socks from Off Fifth. So. Hope I'm not missing anything.

FWIW, I also went ahead and picked up some cedar shoe trees and cedar suit hangers from Allen Edmonds. And my shoes are (and will be) well-polished.

And as a personal victory, I haven't paid full price (or anywhere near full price) for anything. But I still feel like I've burned through my poor, ignorant bank account.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby daesonesb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 am

e.
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:38 am

alumniguy wrote: These shoes will last and when they start to look a bit drab, you get them shined for $5 and they look brand new. I actually think they look better over time.

How much does a good professional shoe shine really help?

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby alumniguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 am

romothesavior wrote:
alumniguy wrote: These shoes will last and when they start to look a bit drab, you get them shined for $5 and they look brand new. I actually think they look better over time.

How much does a good professional shoe shine really help?


For good shoes, an occasional shine is key. The leather over time starts to dry out. A shine helps to preserve the leather (I think).

You can always do it yourself, too. I (i) don't really know how to do it as well as the guys in my office and (ii) don't want to spend my free time doing so. In NYC, it is about $2/3, plus tip to get you shoes shined. The guys shining shoes spend like 5-10 minutes on a shine. It is cheap and a very relaxing way to spend 5-10 minutes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273175
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:48 am

Thoughts on this pair? (Unfortunately rubber sole.)

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

From To Boot New York, Adam Derrick

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby alumniguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:48 am

daesonesb wrote:Would the fact that the interviewers will all be LA firms help? None of these firms requires more than business casual in the office, and most men in this damn city wear suits with open collars and no tie.


I think this would further support the brown shoes. The cap toe look is about as wall street, east coast as one can get. It is the classic dress shoe style. CA is not so formal and while they still dress well, I think their aesthetic is not so formal.

I'm not sure what is objectionable about the brown shoes in the first place. I'd be curious to hear from those who disagree.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby alumniguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on this pair? (Unfortunately rubber sole.)

--ImageRemoved-- (LinkRemoved)

From To Boot New York, Adam Derrick


These are perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't pay full price for this brand, but if you can get them on sale it would be a decent buy. Personally, I am not a huge fan of this style as I prefer some detailing on the front of the shoe, but there is nothing "wrong" with this shoe.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 am

alumniguy wrote:I'm not sure what is objectionable about the brown shoes in the first place. I'd be curious to hear from those who disagree.


I just think the brown is too light. For me, it's one of those things that I would have no problem with on a daily basis, but it seems like they would call attention to themselves at OCI, when it's best to be subtle.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby daesonesb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:54 am

asdf
Last edited by daesonesb on Sun May 06, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby jkay » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am

daesonesb wrote:I could darken them up even more by using a black polish a few days prior to OCI. Thoughts on that?


Don't do this. If you are in CA, they will be fine.

I am the intermountain west, and I can't believe what people wear to OCI here. LULZ.

jkay
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby jkay » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am

daesonesb wrote:I could darken them up even more by using a black polish a few days prior to OCI. Thoughts on that?


Don't do this. If you are in CA, they will be fine.

I am the intermountain west, and I can't believe what people wear to OCI here. LULZ.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby alumniguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:12 am

Helmholtz wrote:I just think the brown is too light. For me, it's one of those things that I would have no problem with on a daily basis, but it seems like they would call attention to themselves at OCI, when it's best to be subtle.


Fair enough. I agree it is best to not be remembered for anything during OCI.

daesonesb wrote:I think the problem is that they aren't traditional/conservative (med brown, split toe). As a result, there is the chance that a more conservative partner would think I didn't know how to dress for the interview.

As far as the shade, it is not as light as in the picture, because I've polished them a few times with a dark brown. I could darken them up even more by using a black polish a few days prior to OCI. Thoughts on that?


Disagree here. Those shoes are not so out there that it looks like you don't know how to dress. I mean you're pairing it with a navy suit, which I presume will be well tailored (and not too tailored), a dress shirt and tie. Had you shown up to the interview in those shoes and some off color, double breasted Paul Smith suit, perhaps the partner would notice.

While I am not a partner, as an associate I can tell you that interviewing students can be drudgery at times. Everyone looks the same, everyone says the same things, etc. While it is fine not to be remembered and will likely lead to a summer offer, sometimes certain students do make an impact and they are usually the ones that are interesting and that sets them apart from the masses. Being well dressed always makes a good impression and can set one apart from the masses.

I can't tell you how many interviewees in charcoal suits, white shirt, red/maroon ties and black shoes I've seen in my three years of biglaw.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:41 am

alumniguy wrote:While I am not a partner, as an associate I can tell you that interviewing students can be drudgery at times. Everyone looks the same, everyone says the same things, etc. While it is fine not to be remembered and will likely lead to a summer offer, sometimes certain students do make an impact and they are usually the ones that are interesting and that sets them apart from the masses. Being well dressed always makes a good impression and can set one apart from the masses.

I can't tell you how many interviewees in charcoal suits, white shirt, red/maroon ties and black shoes I've seen in my three years of biglaw.



Is this license to deviate from the charcoal/navy suit, light blue/white shirt, red/blue tie formula? Within acceptable bounds of course?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:44 am

Is a split-toe okay?

User avatar
alirod12
Posts: 138
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:47 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby alirod12 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:50 am

Grey/Navy suit with brown shoes/belt is an absolute winner if done well.

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:00 pm

alirod12 wrote:Grey/Navy suit with brown shoes/belt is an absolute winner if done well.


+1 for spelling grey properly.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Helmholtz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Grey/Navy suit with brown shoes/belt is an absolute winner if done well.


+1 for spelling grey properly.


Bryan Garner recommends gray.

alumniguy
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby alumniguy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Aston2412 wrote:
alumniguy wrote:While I am not a partner, as an associate I can tell you that interviewing students can be drudgery at times. Everyone looks the same, everyone says the same things, etc. While it is fine not to be remembered and will likely lead to a summer offer, sometimes certain students do make an impact and they are usually the ones that are interesting and that sets them apart from the masses. Being well dressed always makes a good impression and can set one apart from the masses.

I can't tell you how many interviewees in charcoal suits, white shirt, red/maroon ties and black shoes I've seen in my three years of biglaw.



Is this license to deviate from the charcoal/navy suit, light blue/white shirt, red/blue tie formula? Within acceptable bounds of course?


Yes, to an extent. I'm not sure you'd want to deviate too much from the charcoal/navy suit, but everything else is fair game, within reason of course.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:09 pm

alumniguy wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
alumniguy wrote:While I am not a partner, as an associate I can tell you that interviewing students can be drudgery at times. Everyone looks the same, everyone says the same things, etc. While it is fine not to be remembered and will likely lead to a summer offer, sometimes certain students do make an impact and they are usually the ones that are interesting and that sets them apart from the masses. Being well dressed always makes a good impression and can set one apart from the masses.

I can't tell you how many interviewees in charcoal suits, white shirt, red/maroon ties and black shoes I've seen in my three years of biglaw.



Is this license to deviate from the charcoal/navy suit, light blue/white shirt, red/blue tie formula? Within acceptable bounds of course?


Yes, to an extent. I'm not sure you'd want to deviate too much from the charcoal/navy suit, but everything else is fair game, within reason of course.
Bitchin' cufflinks?

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:12 pm

stratocophic wrote:Bitchin' cufflinks?


I'm going to wear my Ace of Diamonds cufflinks. And when they comment I'm going to say, "I've always got an ace up my sleeve!"

Aston2412
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Postby Aston2412 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Aston2412 wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Grey/Navy suit with brown shoes/belt is an absolute winner if done well.


+1 for spelling grey properly.


Bryan Garner recommends gray.


And he probably doesn't use conjunctions to start sentences and probably spells colour without a 'u'.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.