OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kalvano

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07 pm

TheFactor wrote:
kalvano wrote:
missinglink wrote:Just saw a commercial that Jos A Bank is doing a buy 1 suit at regular price, get 2 suits free. I'm suspicious, though. Is there something I should be worried about? I suspect that the price of the first suit is inflated for what you get. But I've also heard that the suits are alright for their price.

Their suits are cheap and will fall apart in a yer or two.

This has not been true in my experience. I have a couple Jos A Bank suits that are still in great shape after 2+ years.

It's more lately than in the past. Their older stuff was great, but in the past couple years it seems like their quality really went downhill. I don't know, maybe I just got some bad batches or something.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:23 am

adameus wrote:So about how much would I be looking at to get 3 signature line suits with the 3 for 1 deal?

$265 per, or $795. You can do much better than that working the JAB clearance page (although you won't generally get the solid suits that should create the foundation of your wardrobe that way), and better deals do come along once or twice a year, but they're pretty reasonably worth $265.

kalvano wrote:It's more lately than in the past. Their older stuff was great, but in the past couple years it seems like their quality really went downhill. I don't know, maybe I just got some bad batches or something.

I'd argue that they've really just split their line in two. It used to all be pretty middle-of-the-road stuff, somewhere between Macy's stuff and real suits. Now, there's a few lines worth of bunch of cheap crap much worse than their old stuff, and a few lines of stuff that is far nicer than anything they used to carry.

Take the JAB ties. It used to be that JAB's biggest deal was that they had better ties than Brooks Brothers (mainly because BB ties were embarrassingly sucky in quality until the late 90s). Nowadays, however, their Executive line ties have turned to absolute crap (the basic $15 Tie Bar ties are generally a notch better than the "$70" Executive line, and the Tie Bar stuff isn't that good). On the other hand, the last few seasons' Sig Gold ties (the ones in the stores, not online) are really fantastic (I dare say that some of them are worth every cent of their $125 list prices, which is really saying something given that we're talking about JAB here) and still blow up a lot of BB stuff.

-Pufer

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 am

Need help picking out a watch to go with my OCI suit. The suit is a dark charcoal grey. I wear it with a black belt and black shoes. Should I go with a leather band? I'm assuming it should be black to match the belt/shoes.

I was thinking about one of these :
ImageImage

If neither of those, any suggestions for a decent one in the 150 range?

Also:
ImageImage

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 pm

beach_terror wrote:Need help picking out a watch to go with my OCI suit. The suit is a dark charcoal grey. I wear it with a black belt and black shoes. Should I go with a leather band? I'm assuming it should be black to match the belt/shoes.
<images>

Yes, your watchband should match your belt/shoes. I personally prefer leather-band watches, but it does mean that you have to buy multiple watches to match your various different shoe colors (not so much an issue if you really like watches), which you wouldn't have to worry about with a simple silver metal-band watch that goes with everything (you probably shouldn't wear gold for an interview).

Square-faced watches aren't quite as typical/classic as round watches are, so aren't totally without risk in an interview, but a formal square face is generally fine nowadays for an interview. I'd assert that the square watch to the right in your above picture would be more appropriate in that it is more simple than the upper-left. Both of the bottom watches would be great for interview purposes. I'd probably avoid the upper-left watch for interviews.

As to those specific watches, those Armani watches are $50 Fossil watches that have a fancy brand name stamped on them. If you really like the style, they'd be perfectly acceptable timepieces. If you aren't totally attached to the style, however, and are just looking for a decent watch, they are very overpriced for what they are. Those Tissot and Bulova watches are near the bottom end of their respective lines, but would both be great watches.

-Pufer

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm

Pufer wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Need help picking out a watch to go with my OCI suit. The suit is a dark charcoal grey. I wear it with a black belt and black shoes. Should I go with a leather band? I'm assuming it should be black to match the belt/shoes.
<images>

Yes, your watchband should match your belt/shoes. I personally prefer leather-band watches, but it does mean that you have to buy multiple watches to match your various different shoe colors (not so much an issue if you really like watches), which you wouldn't have to worry about with a simple silver metal-band watch that goes with everything (you probably shouldn't wear gold for an interview).

Square-faced watches aren't quite as typical/classic as round watches are, so aren't totally without risk in an interview, but a formal square face is generally fine nowadays for an interview. I'd assert that the square watch to the right in your above picture would be more appropriate in that it is more simple than the upper-left. Both of the bottom watches would be great for interview purposes. I'd probably avoid the upper-left watch for interviews.

As to those specific watches, those Armani watches are $50 Fossil watches that have a fancy brand name stamped on them. If you really like the style, they'd be perfectly acceptable timepieces. If you aren't totally attached to the style, however, and are just looking for a decent watch, they are very overpriced for what they are. Those Tissot and Bulova watches are near the bottom end of their respective lines, but would both be great watches.

-Pufer

Thanks. I'm really leaning toward the Tissot right now. I know it's pretty much the lowest of the Tissot line, but my funds are kind of limited now. I'm just looking for something that a) will go over well in interviews and b) is affordable.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:59 am

Today only, JAB appears to be having a 2-for-half-list-price sale on suits. You can get occasionally get JAB suits for cheaper than this on clearance, but that's a pretty limited selection. This 4-for-1 price level is about as good a full-line sale as I've seen from them if you need two suits.

-Pufer

GordonGekko1

Postby GordonGekko1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:35 pm

Question...

I had been going to job interview interviews with khaki pants, blue blazer, dress shirt, and tie... Is that really appropriate or do I need to invest in a genuine suit?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Alright gentlemen. I know Men's Wearhouse is TTT, but I just rented a morning suit from one for my friend's wedding and got a coupon for 50% off my next purchase, excluding shoes. I'd love to milk them for it. Is there anything worthwhile there?

twert

Postby twert » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:13 pm

geoduck wrote:Alright gentlemen. I know Men's Wearhouse is TTT, but I just rented a morning suit from one for my friend's wedding and got a coupon for 50% off my next purchase, excluding shoes. I'd love to milk them for it. Is there anything worthwhile there?

mens wearhouse suits are pretty much always bogo. fifty percent off probably won't work with that. imho half price should be the normal price, like JAB.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:24 pm

twert wrote:
geoduck wrote:Alright gentlemen. I know Men's Wearhouse is TTT, but I just rented a morning suit from one for my friend's wedding and got a coupon for 50% off my next purchase, excluding shoes. I'd love to milk them for it. Is there anything worthwhile there?

mens wearhouse suits are pretty much always bogo. fifty percent off probably won't work with that. imho half price should be the normal price, like JAB.

Only exclusion I can see is shoes.

twert

Postby twert » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 pm

geoduck wrote:
twert wrote:

if it doesn't say that it won't work with any other deal, go get two suits for the price of half of one

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:14 pm

geoduck wrote:
twert wrote:

$50 Skyroll for that interview in DC.

-Pufer

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:49 pm

Pufer wrote:
geoduck wrote:
twert wrote:

$50 Skyroll for that interview in DC.

-Pufer

Not a bad idea, but doesn't take enough out of their pocket. And yeah, no double deals.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:05 am

USF_RockStar wrote:Question...

I had been going to job interview interviews with khaki pants, blue blazer, dress shirt, and tie... Is that really appropriate or do I need to invest in a genuine suit?

You serious? Yes, you need a suit.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:33 am

Yes. You need a real suit.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:02 pm

twert wrote:

Yeah, they do have that BOGO deal very often. So basically, the coupon gives me that deal on just one suit. It is interesting that it seems to apply to the whole purchase and not just a single item, but it specifies that it doesn't work with other deals, including their everyday value stuff (can't remember the exact term, but basically the cheap stuff). I already have a navy suit, though I'm not positive about the quality, so I'm thinking of charcoal.

I'd be more than happy to drop $300-$400 on a "$600-$800" suit if it were nicer than what $400 can get me elsewhere. Is this going to be the case? Their suits pretty much top out at $800 with Jhane Barnes and then down to $700 for Pronto Uomo, Jack Victor, Tallia, and Hart Marx, with Joseph Abboud popping up at $600. Are any of these brands worth the typing I just did? Can a worthwhile suit be gotten for $400 elsewhere, leaving me to just use the coupon on shirts?

Damn them for excluding shoes.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Serious Question: I'm a really muscular guy, and I'm having a hard time finding suits that fit in a way that doesn't make me look like a fat bastard. Help me. Srsly.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

bjsesq wrote:Serious Question: I'm a really muscular guy, and I'm having a hard time finding suits that fit in a way that doesn't make me look like a fat bastard. Help me. Srsly.

I doubt you'll find anything off the rack that'll work. I'm guessing tailoring is TCR.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:51 pm

geoduck wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Serious Question: I'm a really muscular guy, and I'm having a hard time finding suits that fit in a way that doesn't make me look like a fat bastard. Help me. Srsly.

I doubt you'll find anything off the rack that'll work. I'm guessing tailoring is TCR.

What I suspected. Fuck.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:02 pm

geoduck wrote:

This is probably right. You might consider made-to-measure, which can often be no more expensive than off-the-rack after tailoring.

However, you could try your luck with slimmer cuts. European suits tend to have higher drops and more waisted jackets. If you have several thousand dollars lying around, you'll probably look great in Tom Ford.

GordonGekko1

Postby GordonGekko1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 pm

beach_terror wrote:

You serious? Yes, you need a suit.

kalvano wrote:

Yes. You need a real suit.

Thanks guys.

saito816

Postby saito816 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Has anyone had any experience with Donald J Pliner Oxfords, I found an online deal for them for $129, they normally seem to run around $300, but I had never heard of them before. Here's a link to the amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Donald-Pliner-Mens-Rocco-Oxford/dp/B003O2SJS6

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:52 pm

geoduck wrote:I'd be more than happy to drop $300-$400 on a "$600-$800" suit if it were nicer than what $400 can get me elsewhere. Is this going to be the case? Their suits pretty much top out at $800 with Jhane Barnes and then down to $700 for Pronto Uomo, Jack Victor, Tallia, and Hart Marx, with Joseph Abboud popping up at $600. Are any of these brands worth the typing I just did? Can a worthwhile suit be gotten for $400 elsewhere, leaving me to just use the coupon on shirts?

I've got an Abboud that I love. Hart Marx is nice, too.

But really, you can find better stuff at the same or less prices at Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, etc.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:08 pm

kalvano wrote:
geoduck wrote:I'd be more than happy to drop $300-$400 on a "$600-$800" suit if it were nicer than what $400 can get me elsewhere. Is this going to be the case? Their suits pretty much top out at $800 with Jhane Barnes and then down to $700 for Pronto Uomo, Jack Victor, Tallia, and Hart Marx, with Joseph Abboud popping up at $600. Are any of these brands worth the typing I just did? Can a worthwhile suit be gotten for $400 elsewhere, leaving me to just use the coupon on shirts?

I've got an Abboud that I love. Hart Marx is nice, too.

But really, you can find better stuff at the same or less prices at Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, etc.

And I take it that the Mens' Wearhouse tailoring isn't anything to rave about in terms of price or quality, huh? Guess I'll get some nice shirts and maybe a casual jacket.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:26 pm

saito816 wrote:Has anyone had any experience with Donald J Pliner Oxfords, I found an online deal for them for $129, they normally seem to run around $300, but I had never heard of them before. Here's a link to the amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Donald-Pliner-Mens-Rocco-Oxford/dp/B003O2SJS6

I've seen some Pliner stuff at DSW and don't remember being particularly impressed (the fact that they were at DSW doesn't exactly inspire confidence to begin with). No way that they're $300 shoes; $129 might even be pushing it.

-Pufer

Return to “Legal Employment”