OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
romothesavior

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:43 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:
Unitas wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
Unitas wrote:Anyone suggest any hats for wearing with a suit? Or is it just a no in the legal world..

In the office? I'm pretty sure that's a no everywhere since 1960. Stop taking fashion cues from Mad Men.

Not in the office. I meant walking around outside only.

What are you thinking about wearing, a fedora?

I really, really wish that hats (specifically fedoras) would make a comeback. I was so born in the wrong era.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 pm

romothesavior wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
What are you thinking about wearing, a fedora?

I really, really wish that hats (specifically fedoras) would make a comeback. I was so born in the wrong era.

If it's cold enough to wear an overcoat, you can wear a fedora outside and not look like a clown.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:58 pm

I think it's easier to pull off a fedora with a casual look. It's just too much when you wear it with a suit.

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:01 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:I think it's easier to pull off a fedora with a casual look. It's just too much when you wear it with a suit.

No one pulls off a fedora. Ever. hth.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:07 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:I think it's easier to pull off a fedora with a casual look. It's just too much when you wear it with a suit.

As a response to this post, I agree. Fedoras are stupid looking always. However, if worn as an item of winter necessity (as opposed to fashion), they look less stupid than other winter hats when you're dressed up. But, if you're going to "pull off" a fedora in these circumstance, you need to take it off when you take off your bulky scarf, gloves, and heavy coat. Otherwise, you look like a joker wearing a stupid hat.

forza

Postby forza » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:

Wrong. :wink:

--ImageRemoved--

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:

You should probably stay away from the website called "fedora lounge" or something. It would make you epic-rage. There is a whole sub-breed of hipsters that wear fedoras with crappy goodwill suits. It's really, really difficult to pull off a fedora.

Wool driver's caps, on the other hand, usually look great with a suit in the winter.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 pm

I need a reason to wear a morning suit. I've decided I'm wearing one to my wedding.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I need a reason to wear a morning suit. I've decided I'm wearing one to my wedding.

No problem. Just become Solicitor General.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Placed another order with moderntailor.com

Cheap shirts suck. Not worth the $20 promo- but a good way to get your measurements straight.

Higher end shirts with higher thread counts are the shit. So soft.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I need a reason to wear a morning suit. I've decided I'm wearing one to my wedding.

Even odds on future wifey nixing that idea.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:42 pm

king3780 wrote:

Even odds on future wifey nixing that idea.

Girls I go for a pretty traditional, so I'm sure she wouldn't mind...or maybe 60-40.

Also, I'm one of the few guys who (openly admits) that he cares about his wedding, so I'm going to push for that pretty hard.

ETA: I'm also going to make sure it actually fits and that it's not something that I drown in. Hate it when guys wear ill-fitting suits.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri May 13, 2011 2:23 pm

What's the consensus on three-piece suits?

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri May 13, 2011 2:33 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:What's the consensus on three-piece suits?

...what exactly are you asking?

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri May 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I want to know if it's proper to wear it in an office setting (big law, client meetings, etc.) or if it's antiquated/overboard.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri May 13, 2011 2:40 pm

James Bond wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:What's the consensus on three-piece suits?

...what exactly are you asking?

What three pieces to include, obviously.

While the cape has practical merits, and the kilt will turn heads, I find its best to stick with tradition and go with the pants-vest-jacket combo.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri May 13, 2011 2:42 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:I want to know if it's proper to wear it in an office setting (big law, client meetings, etc.) or if it's antiquated/overboard.

I would only wear it to the christmas party or some other formal event. When you're the big swinging dick of the firm you can rock the 3-piece or french cuff shirts with blangin' cuff links to the office and whatnot. But until you're partner status you'll look like a tool unless it's a formal black tie type event. Then you can be more fancy, if just for the night.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri May 13, 2011 2:46 pm

James Bond wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:I want to know if it's proper to wear it in an office setting (big law, client meetings, etc.) or if it's antiquated/overboard.

I would only wear it to the christmas party or some other formal event. When you're the big swinging dick of the firm you can rock the 3-piece or french cuff shirts with blangin' cuff links and whatnot. But until you're partner status you'll look like a tool.

I agree with all of this. Once you actually go to bed on a big pile of $500 bills, you can dress like Gordon Gekko. Until then, best to limit the flashier aspects of your wardrobe (3-piece suits, contrast collar/cuffs, loud cufflinks, etc).

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri May 13, 2011 2:51 pm

big swinging dicks and gordon gekko.... niceee

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon May 16, 2011 10:21 pm

So I just bought a suit with peaked lapels in a two for one deal at Mens Warehouse. Now I fear I made a mistake buying the suit with peaked lapels instead of notched lapels. It was the only dark navy one left, and the fit was great.

Am I screwed? If so, can a tailor turn the peaked lapels into notched?

I'm summering at a mid size firm.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon May 16, 2011 10:30 pm

So, what's the intermediate step between Jos A. Bank and Brooks Brothers? Macy's and Nordstrom? Local men's shops?

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Mon May 16, 2011 10:42 pm

solotee wrote:So I just bought a suit with peaked lapels in a two for one deal at Mens Warehouse. Now I fear I made a mistake buying the suit with peaked lapels instead of notched lapels. It was the only dark navy one left, and the fit was great.

Am I screwed? If so, can a tailor turn the peaked lapels into notched?

I'm summering at a mid size firm.

I don't think a tailor can make that alteration. I would try and return it. Peaked lapels are making a comeback now among i-bankers and the like, but they are not really appropriate for SA gear or interviews.

jkay

Postby jkay » Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 pm

TTH wrote:So, what's the intermediate step between Jos A. Bank and Brooks Brothers? Macy's and Nordstrom? Local men's shops?

Nordstrom Rack.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue May 17, 2011 12:00 am

So pissed Saks was having shitty sales. Had to settle with Calvin Klein suits. The dark navy Zegna is still bothering me; unfortunately 700 dollar price tag is just too much.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Tue May 17, 2011 4:25 am

TTH wrote:So, what's the intermediate step between Jos A. Bank and Brooks Brothers? Macy's and Nordstrom? Local men's shops?

There really isn't one. The top-line JAB stuff nowadays is substantially better than the lower-level BB stuff (especially the BB outlet lines). You probably shouldn't buy suits from Macy's unless you know what you're doing.

Where you shouldn't shop for suits: Walmart, Target, Sears, JCPenney, Kohls, Stein Mart, H&M, Macy's, Men's Wearhouse

Where you should shop for suits if you just want a second basic, inexpensive suit to wear a lot for clinic: JAB (Executive line and up during a crazy sale), Sierra Trading Post (sign up for the email coupons and wait for the Lauren suits to dip under at least $160 with your coupons).

Where you should shop for a nice suit if you look out for the cheap and/or ultra-hip stylish crap: Dillards/Dillards Clearance Center, Nieman Marcus Last Call, Off 5th, BB Outlet, Nordstrom Rack, JAB (Signature line and above during their latest "buy one, get twelve thousand and a sherpa to carry it all" sale)

Where you should shop for suits when you have a big pile of money to throw at the problem: a tailor

-Pufer

Return to “Legal Employment”