OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
crazycanuck

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby crazycanuck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:31 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:No joke, i'm in the career center today making an appointment to meet with a counselor and across the way in the interview suits I see a kid in the waiting area wearing a nice fitting grey suit and these shoes:

Pffffft, that's nothing. A guy showed up to my firms "life in the firm" day wearing: White shoes, white pants, white vest, baby blue shirt, pink tie, and he had a white top hat but was told to take it off and it got put in a closet.

He wasn't RL trolling.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:48 am

TemporarySaint wrote:
Borhas wrote:as far as brown shoes, is gray (light gray?) the only suit color that would really work?

Also, does belt color need to match? I don't mean match as just that it's some sort of brown belt, but does it really need the same color and gloss as the leather of the shoes?

Navy suits looks great with brown shoes. Just make sure not to wear them in an interview. Yes, your belt should match. If it doesn't you look sloppy. Get a matching belt from the company you bought the shoes from.

Forgive my fashion ignorance, but why no navy suit/brown shoes in an interview?

Mr. Fancy

Postby Mr. Fancy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:51 am

TheFactor wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
Borhas wrote:as far as brown shoes, is gray (light gray?) the only suit color that would really work?

Also, does belt color need to match? I don't mean match as just that it's some sort of brown belt, but does it really need the same color and gloss as the leather of the shoes?

Navy suits looks great with brown shoes. Just make sure not to wear them in an interview. Yes, your belt should match. If it doesn't you look sloppy. Get a matching belt from the company you bought the shoes from.

Forgive my fashion ignorance, but why no navy suit/brown shoes in an interview?

Note quite as conservative/formal. You would probably be fine, but it's generally best to play it as safe as possible for an interview.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:55 am

Is it wildly inappropiate to wear dress shoes that come up a little higher? Kind of like Chukkas.

Something like this:
--ImageRemoved--

gman

Postby gman » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:12 am

I don't know if they're acceptable for the workplace (my guess would be "hell no"), but I will say that I've never seen them look good on anyone.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Is it wildly inappropiate to wear dress shoes that come up a little higher? Kind of like Chukkas.

Something like this:
--ImageRemoved--

flame?

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:13 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Is it wildly inappropiate to wear dress shoes that come up a little higher? Kind of like Chukkas.

Something like this:
--ImageRemoved--

You would definitely be going against convention, and probably not in a passable way (assuming you're talking business suit and not some sort of beige, "I'm off to the yacht" type of suit). That's not, "He's flouting convention because he's a crazy style-rebel." like a pair of awesome balmoral boots might be (depending on the crowd - most crowds aren't this crowd). It's more like guys in Sears vinyl wingtips saying, "Man, those are some ugly-ass casual shoes."

-Pufer

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Pufer wrote:

Something like this:
--ImageRemoved--

You would definitely be going against convention, and probably not in a passable way (assuming you're talking business suit and not some sort of beige, "I'm off to the yacht" type of suit). That's not, "He's flouting convention because he's a crazy style-rebel." like a pair of awesome balmoral boots might be (depending on the crowd - most crowds aren't this crowd). It's more like guys in Sears vinyl wingtips saying, "Man, those are some ugly-ass casual shoes."

-Pufer

Hey Pufer. What do you think about black chelsea boots in the office.
Last edited by notanumber on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:23 pm

pink shirt, burgundy tie, gray suit, brown shoes

baller status

hope the pink doesn't irk my moot court judges

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Borhas wrote:pink shirt, burgundy tie, gray suit, brown shoes

baller status

I think I was your judge for that round. And no, you didn't pull it off.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 pm

Borhas wrote:pink shirt, burgundy tie, gray suit, brown shoes

baller status

why the fuck would you wear that?

Good rule of thumb: dress like a politician.

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:09 am

notanumber wrote:
Pufer wrote:

Something like this:
--ImageRemoved--

-Pufer

Hey Pufer. What do you think about black chelsea boots in the office?

I wouldn't personally do it (I think that the elastic side panels dress them down too much), but they're okay if your office is fairly informal. If you want to go boots in the office, eschew the elastic and go with some sleek side-zip ankle boots. Not the most traditional, but many won't even notice.

-Pufer

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 pm

whatever, light pink shirt + burgundy tie is a legit color combination

twert

Postby twert » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:33 pm

Borhas wrote:whatever, light pink shirt + burgundy tie is a legit color combination

no, it really isn't. Mixing two colors in the same family is hard and usually only works with blues/purples.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Borhas wrote:whatever, light pink shirt + burgundy tie is a legit color combination

Not for moot, or any conservative law setting.

HenryKillinger

Postby HenryKillinger » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Borhas wrote:whatever, light pink shirt + burgundy tie is a legit color combination for frat parties

ftfy

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:55 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:

ehhh it's San Francisco though
I actually asked them and they said it didn't even cross their mind. But I do think it wouldn't fly in actual court anywhere else.

W/ that said, a pastel color + tint is a good idea in general

example: light blue + gold or dark orange

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Borhas wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:

ehhh it's San Francisco though
I actually asked them and they said it didn't even cross their mind. But I do think it wouldn't fly in actual court anywhere else.

W/ that said, a pastel color + tint is a good idea in general

example: light blue + gold or dark orange

I'm a fan of contrasting colors like that, but I understand that a lot of people aren't, or are to afraid to try it themselves.

zanda

Postby zanda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:44 pm

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 pm

zanda wrote:Image

That's.... that's... just terrible

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Not one article of clothing he is wearing would I ever, under any circumstances, consider wearing.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:49 pm

traehekat wrote:Not one article of clothing he is wearing would I ever, under any circumstances, consider wearing.

I have a few express button down's that are default bar shirts. Some places I just won't wear polo or lacoste cause I don't want my shit destroyed

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:28 pm

James Bond wrote:
traehekat wrote:Not one article of clothing he is wearing would I ever, under any circumstances, consider wearing.

I have a few express button down's that are default bar shirts. Some places I just won't wear polo or lacoste cause I don't want my shit destroyed

Same, I have one or two express button downs and a pair of jeans from there, but I probably wouldn't buy the color that dude is wearing. And I certainly wouldn't buy the pants or jacket.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Yeah I'm not really knocking Express shirts in general, just that particular color. I'll admit to not being a huge fan of stuff from Express, though. Most of it is a little too metro for me.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:25 pm

traehekat wrote:Yeah I'm not really knocking Express shirts in general, just that particular color. I'll admit to not being a huge fan of stuff from Express, though. Most of it is a little too metro for me.

+1

Return to “Legal Employment”