OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:24 am

twert wrote:
GodSpeed wrote:Need a new suit, but I love to be uber conservative. I've got two solid navy suits and three solid grey/charcoal suit. I only have two or three non-solid suits. Now taking suggestions. No checkered bullshit.

well, summer's coming: medium blue, lightish brown, medium grey? Does your dislike of check extend to windowpane/plaid?

+1, if you like conservative solids, you could stand to add a nice blue or brown to your wardrobe

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:33 am

GodSpeed wrote:Need a new suit, but I love to be uber conservative. I've got two solid navy suits and three solid grey/charcoal suit. I only have two or three non-solid suits. Now taking suggestions. No checkered bullshit.

Do you only have worsteds? If so, grab a medium or light gray flannel and an olive or brown tweed. Perhaps something in a herringbone?

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:35 am

Suit I'm wearing today is worsted. I like herringbone, but its hard to find one I like in a fabric.

Brown is a good idea. Id need to buy four or five ties though. All my ties are blue or red or both (I think I have two orange and one green, but they're super conservative)

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:56 am

Whats the general opinion on linen suits? GQ and Esquire seem to endorse it. Is it cooler for hotter days?

twert

Postby twert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:51 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Whats the general opinion on linen suits? GQ and Esquire seem to endorse it. Is it cooler for hotter days?

linen is pretty causal since wrinkles.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:14 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Whats the general opinion on linen suits? GQ and Esquire seem to endorse it. Is it cooler for hotter days?

I hate linen like the plague, but that's just my personal opinion.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:34 pm

So, the firm I'm going to SA for is professional attire. How many suits do you think I need for an 8 week program? I will be taking the subway/walking to work.

Oh, and the weather will be humid and hot. (and I sweat quite a bit).

HenryKillinger

Postby HenryKillinger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:29 pm

nooyyllib wrote:So, the firm I'm going to SA for is professional attire. How many suits do you think I need for an 8 week program? I will be taking the subway/walking to work.

2 should do but 3 is preferable for wearing a suit every day. Just rotate them so no single suit dominates your wardrobe for too long.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:34 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:So, the firm I'm going to SA for is professional attire. How many suits do you think I need for an 8 week program? I will be taking the subway/walking to work.

2 should do but 3 is preferable for wearing a suit every day. Just rotate them so no single suit dominates your wardrobe for too long.

So, should I worry about sweating on the suit? I mean I do plan on wearing an undershirt.

HenryKillinger

Postby HenryKillinger » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:42 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:

So, should I worry about sweating on the suit? I mean I do plan on wearing an undershirt.

Depends. My immediate response is to say that you'll probably only be outside in the mornings and evenings (the cooler parts of the day) and so you'll probably be fine by wearing an undershirt. If you also give yourself the time in the morning to not have to power-walk to work then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:44 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:

Depends. My immediate response is to say that you'll probably only be outside in the mornings and evenings (the cooler parts of the day) and so you'll probably be fine by wearing an undershirt. If you also give yourself the time in the morning to not have to power-walk to work then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

thanks

twert

Postby twert » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:18 pm

the more distinct the suit, the less often you can wear it. So if you plan on a three suit rotation they should probably all be solid or very subtle. Also, you should have one nicer suit, probably navy, that you wear only on occasion.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 pm

betasteve wrote:I would go with 3 suits, maybe even 4. However, the key is going to be shirts and ties. You need lots of shirts and ties. Oh.. and you need at least 2 pairs of dress shoes.

Great advice

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:13 pm

I think I have 7 suits I like a lot and wear regularly. Of them, 5 are solid. It's nice because I can wear it twice in one week without a problem thanks to have a shit ton of nice shirts and ties to mix it up. I honestly think I could get by on three suits without a problem.

Also, patterned shirts/suits inherently limit your mixing/matching options. You can basically have one of the three items (shirt, suit, tie) striped. Maybe, you can get away with the tie and one other option.
Striped shirts have the added complexity of having two colors to match, limiting your suit options and your tie options.

This is also why poka dotted ties are FTW. You can rock them with stripes and solids and it doesn't look too busy, unlike stripes or most patterned stuff.

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:17 pm

Lol polka dotted ties with your socks, man? You're nuts and I love it

I'm a huge fan of bold color, but I usually keep it in conservative patterns. (striped/plaid/or textured ties...argyle/logo socks)

You, however, crack me up :lol:

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 pm

James Bond wrote:Lol polka dotted ties with your socks, man? You're nuts and I love it

I'm a huge fan of bold color, but I usually keep it in conservative patterns. (striped/plaid/or textured ties...argyle/logo socks)

You, however, crack me up :lol:

No, it's actually relatively conservative. I've worn it to interviews. Solid red w/ white poka dots.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 pm

How big of polka dots are we talking about here? I own a lot of tie with smallish dots and I think they're a great conservative look, but I'd be hesitant to wear a tie with bigger dots.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:How big of polka dots are we talking about here? I own a lot of tie with smallish dots and I think they're a great conservative look, but I'd be hesitant to wear a tie with bigger dots.

micro dots are ftw.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
romothesavior wrote:How big of polka dots are we talking about here? I own a lot of tie with smallish dots and I think they're a great conservative look, but I'd be hesitant to wear a tie with bigger dots.

micro dots are ftw.

I have micro dots and pea sized dots.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:42 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:

micro dots are ftw.

Very much so. My girlfriend always jokes about how all my ties have dots. I love dots.

I wore one today to an interview that looks like this. It is my favorite tie and I like to wear it for interviews. Charcoal suit with a white or light blue shirt and this tie is very win.

I also have some micro-dot ties with smaller dots that are closer together.

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:44 pm

my fav polka dot tie is like this, but a bold red (dots might be SLIGHTLY larger)

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:59 pm

been thinking of getting a little risque with my ties:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

This is crazy territory for me :mrgreen:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm

GodSpeed wrote:been thinking of getting a little risque with my ties:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

This is crazy territory for me :mrgreen:

invisible ties? people might misinterpret that, and think you just forgot...

GodSpeed

Postby GodSpeed » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 pm

images not showing up. img tags are there :confused:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 pm

GodSpeed wrote:images not showing up. img tags are there :confused:

looks like you linked the wrong images. they're called "spacer.gif"

Return to “Legal Employment”