OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fatduck

Gold

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:43 am

James Bond wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I need TLSer advice. I just have to go interview with a school for a full scholly offer. It is a whole weekend that goes: Lunch w/ Dean and faculty, tours, etc. on Day 1 and interviews and dinner with alum on Day 2. Should I wear a suit on both days or business casual day 1 and suit day 2?

Also, any suggestions on a new suit or two?
Suit both days. It's with the dean, man
i'm leaning this way, too, though i think you're right to perceive the first day as more casual.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 am

romothesavior wrote:Best 5 brands of dress shoes. Looking for good all around value (reasonable price but good shoes).
Depending on what you're considering a reasonable price, you should probably be looking at one of the following three brands:

Allen Edmonds
Johnston & Murphy
Bostonian

-Pufer

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 am

Pufer wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Best 5 brands of dress shoes. Looking for good all around value (reasonable price but good shoes).
Depending on what you're considering a reasonable price, you should probably be looking at one of the following three brands:

Allen Edmonds
Johnston & Murphy
Bostonian

-Pufer
Thanks Pufer. These were the main three I had in mind, I am glad to hear others think they're decent options. I want to buy a really nice pair of shoes, but I don't have the money for it yet, and I'm just trying to add another shoe color to the wardrobe until I can afford a high end pair (hopefully with a 2L SA). I'm in the market for a nice pair of oxblood/burgundy/dark brown lace-ups. I own a pair of Bostonians and I'm kinda meh on them, but I will definitely check out Allen Edmonds and J&M.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:12 am

romothesavior wrote:
Pufer wrote:

Allen Edmonds
Johnston & Murphy
Bostonian

-Pufer
Thanks Pufer. These were the main three I had in mind, I am glad to hear others think they're decent options. I want to buy a really nice pair of shoes, but I don't have the money for it yet, and I'm just trying to add another shoe color to the wardrobe until I can afford a high end pair (hopefully with a 2L SA). I'm in the market for a nice pair of oxblood/burgundy/dark brown lace-ups. I own a pair of Bostonians and I'm kinda meh on them, but I will definitely check out Allen Edmonds and J&M.

Ebay is another good option. You can get good shoes from Alden, Allen Edmonds, Crockett and Jones (my personal favorite), and other comparable brands for about what you would pay for cheap-o shoes at the mall.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:53 am

James Bond wrote:
TemporarySaint wrote:
blowhard wrote:What color socks and shoes with an olive green suit?
Socks the same color as your dress pants. Black shoes. I think brown would look off.
It depends on the color of the suit and the color of the shoes. I have an olive green suit (which isn't an interview color btw...) and brown is far superior.
I definitely wouldn't interview in it. It's a deep green color. Would you wear to the office? It's a Brooks 1818 ebay find...I figured for $50 I'd give it a shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:03 am

Ignore the cubical background. Office is expanding. Still waiting on my office :?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:09 am

Pufer wrote:

Allen Edmonds
Johnston & Murphy
Bostonian

-Pufer
Cole Haan? Got mine for like 130$, which is in line with most Johnston & Murphy shoes.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:15 am

I have three pairs of cole haan. Love them. I got them resoled once and they're holding up great.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 am

So, this is a bit premature as I probably won't buy anything till summer, but in preparation for interview season I plan on buying a new suit, shirt, tie, and shoes as well as getting them tailored. I'd like to spend a total of less than 1,500. Looking for suggestions, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:47 am

Patriot1208 wrote:So, this is a bit premature as I probably won't buy anything till summer, but in preparation for interview season I plan on buying a new suit, shirt, tie, and shoes as well as getting them tailored. I'd like to spend a total of less than 1,500. Looking for suggestions, thanks.
1,500?! Are you serious? LoL. The interview season is NOT a GQ photo shoot. I suggest you go to the Polo Factory store/Brooks Brothers Factory store for ties, shirts, belt; Cole Haan outlets for shoes, belt; Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks 5th off for suits (e.g. Armani, Boss, Theory) for around $450.

If you do this, I see you spending 700 max. As for getting the suit tailored to your fit, you can probably get it done for 40 bucks at your local tailor. (when I had to get my pant leg fitted, it cost me 10 bucks).

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:52 am

nooyyllib wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:So, this is a bit premature as I probably won't buy anything till summer, but in preparation for interview season I plan on buying a new suit, shirt, tie, and shoes as well as getting them tailored. I'd like to spend a total of less than 1,500. Looking for suggestions, thanks.
1,500?! Are you serious? LoL. The interview season is NOT a GQ photo shoot. I suggest you go to the Polo Factory store/Brooks Brothers Factory store for ties, shirts, belt; Cole Haan outlets for shoes, belt; Neiman Marcus Last Call or Saks 5th off for suits (e.g. Armani, Boss, Theory) for around $450.

If you do this, I see you spending 700 max. As for getting the suit tailored to your fit, you can probably get it done for 40 bucks at your local tailor. (when I had to get my pant leg fitted, it cost me 10 bucks).
I was assuming suit around 800, shirt 100+, tie 50-75, shoes 200-300, belt 60-80, and tailoring. That seems pretty standard from what i've seen at brooks brothers. I have a cheaper calvin klein suit, brooks brothers tie, boss shirt, and cole haans. And I with tailoring even all that was probably around 750-800.

ANd, I want a good bit nicer suit and shoes.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:54 am

Go to a tailor, get meaured, enter meaurements on a made to meaure website like tailor4less, moderntailor, etc

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 am

Patriot1208 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

I was assuming suit around 800, shirt 100+, tie 50-75, shoes 200-300, and tailoring. That seems pretty standard from what i've seen at brooks brothers. I have a cheaper calvin klein suit, brooks brothers tie, boss shirt, and cole haans. And I with tailoring even all that was probably around 750-800.

800 dollar suit for interviews? Jesus. You MUST love paying retail

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:58 am

nooyyllib wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

I was assuming suit around 800, shirt 100+, tie 50-75, shoes 200-300, and tailoring. That seems pretty standard from what i've seen at brooks brothers. I have a cheaper calvin klein suit, brooks brothers tie, boss shirt, and cole haans. And I with tailoring even all that was probably around 750-800.

800 dollar suit for interviews? Jesus. You MUST love paying retail
I'm not sure what the issue is, this was just an assumption from the little looking around i've done, if there is something better for cheaper just let me know. Stop being such a dick about it, this was the reason I posted ITT. And, FWIW, i've been to saks looking and i'm not sure I saw a suit under 500.

ETA I see a lot of kids go interviews with suits that clearly don't fit them or look raggedy. I want to maximize my chances, I don't want to waste money or look GQ, but I want to make the best possible impression I can. I'm not sure why that would be a problem.
Last edited by Patriot1208 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:01 pm

GodSpeed wrote:
Go to a tailor, get meaured, enter meaurements on a made to meaure website like tailor4less, moderntailor, etc
Do you suggest this for just the shirt or for the suit as well?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I'm not sure what the issue is, this was just an assumption from the little looking around i've done, if there is something better for cheaper just let me know. Stop being such a dick about it, this was the reason I posted ITT. And, FWIW, i've been to saks looking and i'm not sure I saw a suit under 500.
I'm not being a dick. Just surprised.

Well, for the suits you are looking for I suggest Neiman Marcus (not Last Call). As for shirts and ties, IMO Thomas Pink makes great stuff.

As for leather goods, Ferragamo seems to be TCR. If you want to drop more $$ Louis Vuitton is not a bad choice.

But I'm telling you, if you just spend some time looking around at outlets and factory stores, you can find quality items for bargain prices.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:ETA I see a lot of kids go interviews with suits that clearly don't fit them or look raggedy. I want to maximize my chances, I don't want to waste money or look GQ, but I want to make the best possible impression I can. I'm not sure why that would be a problem.
IMO, dressing TOO well or even dressing better than your interviewer might backfire.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:10 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:I'm not sure what the issue is, this was just an assumption from the little looking around i've done, if there is something better for cheaper just let me know. Stop being such a dick about it, this was the reason I posted ITT. And, FWIW, i've been to saks looking and i'm not sure I saw a suit under 500.
I'm not being a dick. Just surprised.

Well, for the suits you are looking for I suggest Neiman Marcus (not Last Call). As for shirts and ties, IMO Thomas Pink makes great stuff.

As for leather goods, Ferragamo seems to be TCR. If you want to drop more $$ Louis Vuitton is not a bad choice.

But I'm telling you, if you just spend some time looking around at outlets and factory stores, you can find quality items for bargain prices.
Ok, thanks, i'll look around some more. I wont buy anything till summer anyways i'm just trying to get a good idea now so I can make sure to save up the cash so I don't have to put it on credit.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 pm

GodSpeed wrote:Image

Ignore the cubical background. Office is expanding. Still waiting on my office :?
That's bold

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:14 pm

nooyyllib wrote: That's bold
Yeah. When you said crazy socks, I pictured argyle.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 pm

GodSpeed wrote:Image

You just jumped up a few notches in my book.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:28 pm

What is the opinion of suits by Zara? They seem like they have the more modern fit that I've been interested in while being relatively inexpensive. I know a guy that has one and he says they're very comfortable

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Last order:

Like I said, it really only works if you dress super conservatively. I *might* wear a shirt that isn't white or blue once a week and all but three ties I ever wear are red or blue (green, very conservative/professional orange that I wear with gray suits and a gray one).

If you're always wearing green and blue and an yellow and purple shirts/ties with funky or trendy patterns, you just look likea clown. When you're always dressing conservatively, its easier to pull off- its almost like a "silly" English thing.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:What is the opinion of suits by Zara? They seem like they have the more modern fit that I've been interested in while being relatively inexpensive. I know a guy that has one and he says they're very comfortable
Not too familiar with Zara but I hear that its an upscale/hipper version of H&M?

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Godspeed, I though those were gummy snacks for a second.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”